Prologue | 31072016

Healing a Healer

The door bursts open with a loud bang, causing everyone in the room to jerk slightly. All heads turn to the doorway, eyes on the heavily panting figure. Silence greets the room as the figure scans the area. Nobody dares to speak. Her eyes halt upon coming across her target. She takes in the sight before her as she slowly approaches him. Her shaking fingers run along his skin and gently lands on the wound above his heart. Taking in a deep breath, she closes her eyes and braces for what she is about to witness. In a flash, a vision hits her, temporarily removing her from the real world. Familiar bodies lie on the floor, unconscious but unharmed. She sees her lover, alone and cornered, struggling to fight the ray of darkness directed towards him. He loses his footing and falls to his knees.

Not willing to back down, he garners every inch of his strength and releases a stronger ray, but he is of no match to his attacker. Darkness overpowering the good, he eventually gets hit. He lets out a cry of pain as he falls backwards. Just like that, he is unconscious, and unlike the others, he's harmed. A menacing laughter echoes, catching her attention. Averting her gaze from her lover, she follows the direction of the laughter and eventually sees its owner. A pang hits her upon seeing the person behind her lover's current state. Her vision begins to darken as she is brought back into the real world. Her eyes flutter open and for a very long moment, she remains very still. A cough breaks the silence and with a brave step, someone walks towards her.

"Na Ra-"

"No, I know what you're going to say so don't." Turning around to face her brother, Sunggyu, Na Ra places a hand on his shoulder.

"All of you were under a dark spell and put to sleep. There was nothing you could've done. It's not your fault," she emphasises on the last sentence. Just as she is about to speak again, she gets cut off by Dongwoo.

"Did he do it?" He asks in a soft whisper that makes her momentarily wonder if it the question is directed at her or himself. Only when he meets her eyes and repeats his question does she realise that he is in fact asking her. "Cha Eun Woo; did he do it?"

A long silence is enough to answer his question. Dongwoo curls his hand into a tight fist as he grits his teeth. Anger washes over him, knowing he isn't capable of doing anything to harm the guy that has caused his best friend pain. Without saying anything, Na Ra heads for the door but is held back by Sunggyu's hand on her wrist. Halting, she turns to him with a raised eyebrow only to receive the same look in return.

"Where are you going? No wait, that's a stupid question; I know where you're going. Why are you going there?"

"He's not strong enough to heal himself and you know that. I'm not about to let him die." With that, Na Ra strides off. Sunggyu does nothing to stop her. He knows there's no point trying. 

 


 

Humming echoes around the enclosed area as Cha Eun Woo does his reading. A crooked smile tugs at the corner of his lips remembering the incident. Satisfaction warms him as he replays the sight of his target's misery in his mind. Oh how he enjoys being the bad guy. His mini celebration is put to an end when he hears footsteps closing in on him. As though he has been waiting for her presence, Eun Woo takes his time to put his book down and rise from his seat. Meeting her eyes, a mocking smile forms on his face.

"Kim Na Ra, what brings you here?" he asks, his eyes gleaming.

"Cut the crap, Eun Woo. You know why I'm here," Na Ra retorts, only to have him agree. "Take back the spell." 

"Why won't he heal himself? Oh wait, right, he can't," Eun Woo answers his own question, taunting her with the obvious. Unable to stand the smug look on his face, Na Ra draws her hand back. She forms a ball of fire as a form of warning but Eun Woo is unfazed.

"Uh-uh-uh. You kill me and your boyfriend dies." Hearing this, Na Ra vanquishes the ball of fire, her arm falling to her side once more. The anger on her face is now replaced with distraught. For the shortest moment, Eun Woo feels bad - until he remembers that he's evil.

"Why? Why'd you do it?" Eun Woo scoffs at how dense you are, momentarily wondering how on earth he once managed to put up with her, and takes a few steps towards her. Staring into her eyes without the slightest bit of remorse, he answers her.

"Because you chose him over me."

"Then kill me instead," she says hastily. Eun Woo laughs, as though she actually intended for it to be a joke.

"That's cute. You actually think I'd actually kill the one I love."

"Then what can I do to make you undo the spell?"

Eun Woo's expression falters and darkness fills his eyes upon seeing how persistent she is in saving Howon. "Be mine instead of his."

Upon receiving silence, he says, "No? Okay, then here's another way. In a few days, you'll be assigned your mortal. I'm giving you three months to bring your mortal to me to exchange for your lover's life. Of course, it won't be so easy. I'll be sure to interfere with your job the way Warlocks do."

"You can't interfere with a mortal that doesn't belong to you; that's against the rules," Na Ra reminds but he has nothing except that smirk on his face.

"See here's the thing. Because you're a Warrior Aerona, the only warlock here capable of being on the same level as you is me. Therefore, that mortal of yours will belong to me too," he points out, pushing as many of her buttons as possible.

"The Elders won't be happy if they were to know this." Na Ra knows he isn't afraid of them but right now, she is filled with so much desperation that she'd give anything a shot..

"They won't. I've blocked them out. Also, you have no proof." Eun Woo shrugs. "So yes, by the end of three months, bring the mortal to me."

"Is that what you want? Strength?" Na Ra asks, her patience running low.

"No no love. I don't want strength," Eun Woo pauses and takes another step towards her so that his face is only inches away from hers.

"What I do want is to see if you're willing to sacrifice your own mortal's life and go against your duty for the sake of that pathetic boyfriend of yours." With that, he strides off, leaving her clenching her fists as she hangs her head low.. 

"We were best friends, Eun Woo," Na Ra says in a calm, controlled manner. He hears the regret in her voice - the regret of ever befriending him. Stopping in his tracks, he turns around and looks at her deadpanned.

"Exactly. We were best friends."