Chapter One

Empty Words

Ira:

I looked over the packet, making sure I filled out everything necessary. My brows furrowed, making my forehead crease. I was aware of my mom's stare on my back. She was waiting for me to look up, but I didn't dare meet her eyes.

"Ira," My mom began, but I ended it quickly.

"Mom, please don't start that." I replied, not looking up from the papers. After arriving yesterday, I spent most of the day with my parents. It was a bit calming, mostly because my sister was nowhere in sight. So now, it's time to work. I have get these forums to the hospital as soon as possible. It was pretty early in the morning. It's only 8:15 am. My father was eating breakfast, casting a glance my way every few minutes.

I looked up for a moment as I heard the sound of plates being set on the dining table. I stared at the breakfast my mom prepared for me. I looked back down at the papers, reading over everything again. I ignored my mother's audible sigh, and went on making finally touches to the papers.

"Ira, just focus on eating. You'll get hungry later and what if they want you to start working right away? You can't work on an empty stomach." My mom exclaimed, hitting my back softly. I looked up at her, shoeing a kind smile.

"Mom, I'm really glad that you made this food for me. It looks very tasty, but I'm just not in the mood to eat. I'm sorry." I responded. I set the pen that had been gripped tightly in my hand. I read over everything once again.

I heard my dad chuckle, catching both my mother and I's attention.

"Honey," He called out to my mother, "She's in work mode. You know how Ira gets when she's focused on work. Don't bother her too much." My mom grimaced but didn't protest as she took her seat, and began to eat her breakfast.

It wasn't long before I finished the forums. I set the papers down, exhaling loudly. I looked up to meet my mom's expecting gaze. She looked down towards the plate in front of me. I followed her eyes, and stared down at the food. I reached my arm forward, grabbing the chopsticks. After taking about one bite, i set the chopsticks down, once again.

I turned around in the chair so my back was facing my mother who sat across from me. I dug the backpack I borrowed from my mom. She said it was my sister's, but she left it once she moved out. I didn't mind taking it. It went well with my outfit.

I wore a simple white V neck, with the words, 'Your Face' printed on them. I settled on some slightly ripped jeans and comfortable black sneakers. My hair, which only stopped a few inches past my shoulders, was pulled up in a nice pony tail. When it comes to how I'm dressed, it's normal. I dress how I want to dress and I don't let anyone say a thing about it. Why does it matter what I'm wearing if I throw on a lab coat over it?

I pulled my folder from the black leather backpack. I placed the forums back inside before slipping the folder into the bag.

I turned back to the table, and picked up the chopstick once again. I began eating, peeking up at my mother in the process.

"Ira, I noticed something." My mother began, looking at me with narrow eyes. I returned the look, surprised by the change of tone in her voice. When I didn't speak, she continued.

"Why were the papers written in english? You've been reading and writing Korean for years now."

"Well mom," I started in English, before speaking in Korean once again. "I'm gonna let them think I can't speak or understand Korean." I took another bite of food, glancing over at my father who remained silent this whole time.

"Why would you do that?" My mom almost shouted.

"So I can figure out what they really think of me. That's when I'll be able to identify my enemies."

"Well what about making friends?"

I shook my head, "What friends? Mom, you know I'm happy being alone. I don't plan on making any friends so, you won't have to worry."

"Ira, you worry me sometimes. How will get married if you don't make friends? You can keep being cold to people." My mom argued. All I could do was shrug, taking another bite of food.

"Honey, why aren't you saying anything?" She said to my father.

"Because," My dad begun before sighing. "I realized some people are okay with being alone. That's just how Ira is. I'm just glad she's here, so I'm not gonna bother her about making friends."

The corner of my lips pulled up in a small smile. My dad smiled back before returning his focus on his food.

"See, dad understands." I pouted. Before my mom could speak another word, I stood up from my seat, taking my bowl in hand. I walked to the kitchen and placed the bowl in the sink. I strolled back into the dining room grabbing my backpack. I opened one of the smaller zippers and pulled out my cell phone.

I said goodbye to my parents, and started for the door.

"Ira, how are you gonna drive the car without the keys?" My mother called out, chasing after me with the keys in hand.

"No thanks mom, I'll walk." I explained. I opened the front door, meeting the hot sun. The wave of heat hit me so quickly, I stopped walking. I turned behind me to see my mom still standing at the door.

"I'll see you later." I greeted before heading out. I know where the hospital is, and we're not too far from it. It was nice to take a stroll. I walked past many shops that look quite interesting. I resisted the urge to walk in and buy something.

I smiled at all the older women that greeted me kindly. I bumped into a few teenage boys who were joking around with a soccer ball. I stopped it from rolling in the street. I handed it back to them, walking off before they could say thank you.

I could see the hospital in view. I picked up my pace, eager to get inside. I walked up to the glass double doors. As my feet met the black mat, the doors opened for me. I wave hit with AC. The cold hair making goosebumps rise on my skin. I stepped in, I took in the smell. It smelt like...a hospital. You know what I mean; like a sort of medication or vaccine you've smelt before, but can't name.

I called the chairman earlier today, telling him I'd be here by 11:30 am. I glanced at the clock on the wall. I'm a bit earlier. I slowly ventured to the waiting area. I sunk down into a seat, and began playing on my phone. My focus was completely on my phone till I noticed a shadow being cast on me.

I looked up to see a man. He looked a bit older than me. He had black hair, gelled in a messy style. I noticed the white lab coat he wore, along with his name on it.

Dr. Han. I looked up at his face with a blank expression.

"I noticed you sitting here for a while. Are you lost? Are you looking for certain part of the hospital?" He spoke in Korean.

I stared at him, my expression not wavering.

"Do you understand what I'm saying?" He said in English. I have to admit, his english was pretty good. I continued to stare at him. I probably came off as rude, yet it doesn't bother me.

"U-um. You lost? Are you lost?" He spoke in broken English.

I kept my gaze on him for a few moments, before glancing down at my phone. I began scrolling through twitter, but I could still sense this man's presence.

"Dr. Han," Another voice called. This time it was a female. "What are you doing here?" She questioned. I could feel her gaze on me as I scrolled through my twitter feed.

"Do you know her?" The female questioned.

"No," Dr. Hahn replied, "She was sitting here for some time. I was wondering if she was lost. She was so rude. Ugh, foreigners. I even asked in English so she'd understand."

"It's alright," The woman said, "She's probably waiting for someone."

They began to walk away, when another presence joined them. They stood about 2 yards from me.

"Dr. Kim." The woman exclaimed, seeming excited to see whoever this man was.

"What are you doing here?" The new voice questioned. His voice was so smooth, so warm. I almost looked up to catch a glimpse of the man.

"I was just asking checking up on someone." Dr. Han said.

"The meeting starts in less than 15 minutes, you can't waste time speaking to a friend of you." The one i'm guessing to be Dr. Kim pointed out.

"She's not a friend of mine. I noticed that she was sitting her for some time. I don't think that she's waiting for anyone or has a reason for being here." Dr. Han explained.

There was a moment of silence before the female doctor spoke up.

"She's probably just here for the wifi or something." She suggested. I had to stop myself from rolling my eyes. Wow.

I wasn't surprised to hear footsteps coming my way. I noticed the nice sneakers that were now in front of me. I stared at the shoes for a while. Whoever it was, seemed a bit irritated.

"Excuse me, but why are you here?" He asked. I finally looked up. In front of me was a very handsome man. I can't lie, he's quite handsome. He his skin a bit tan and her brown eyes seeming to pierce through me. Yet, there was a friendly smile on his lips. His hair short and dark brown. It was was parted to the side and pushed back, keeping most of it away from his forehead. His teeth seemed pearl white. He wore a lab coat that read 'Chief Kim'.

He was tall and slim. He wore a white button up shirt with black slacks and black sneakers.

"Dr. Kim, she doesn't understand." The woman informed him. He looked towards her and back at me.

"Are you waiting for someone?" He asked in perfect English. All I did was blink before staring at him with an uninterested expression.

"Is there something wrong? Are you hurt and need medical attention?" He questioned once again. As I didn't answer, his smile began to fade.

Honestly, I'm not a rude person but I don't understand why I need to explain myself. I never like explaining myself. I'm also not a people person. I like to keep to myself, I don't like to talk much.

"You can't just sit here to kill time. I'm sorry but you're loitering, so I'm gonna have to ask you to leave."

His English was really good. I cocked my head to the side, narrowing my eyes slightly. He's quite the pretty boy.

"Ma'am if you don't cooperate I'll have to call security." He spoke a bit firmer. It seemed like the longer I sat, the angrier he got.

He turned to the woman, "Call security."

At that moment, I laughed. Dr. Kim turned back to me with annoyance.

I slowly stood up, leaving my backpack in the seat beside me. I crossed my arms and stood my ground.

"Chairman has me stressed out over the new surgeon from America, I don't need to deal with an annoying girl like you." He spoke. Interesting how he said the insults in Korean. I stood there in that sample position as he glared at me. I kept my sly grin on.

Just as the security guards appeared, so did the person I was waiting for.

One of the guards took hold of my arm while the other grabbed my bag.

"Jongin!" A husky voice called out. Everyone turned towards the older man who was approaching quickly. He caught sight of me, and his eyes widen as he noticed the guards.

"Jongin," He looked towards Dr. Kim, "What is going on?"

Everyone bowed to him, including the two guards.

"We're just throwing out-" He was cut off by the Chairman.

"Why would kick her out? It's only her first day here and she has to go through this? What kind of welcome is this?" Chairman uttered.

Dr. Kim looked very confused. The guard slowly released my arm. the chairman walked towards me with a warm smile.

"Welcome Dr. Vaughn. It's so nice to have you here all the way from the United States." His English wasn't too bad. I found his accent a bit cute.

I bowed, as he also bowed to me. When I stood up straight from bowing, I met eyes with Dr. Kim looked shocked. I turned my attention back to Chairman.

The other guard set my bag down on the chair once again.

"I'm so sorry this happened. I didn't think Chief Kim would act such a way."

"Chairman Lee, it's alright. It was just a misunderstanding." I looked towards Dr. Kim once more. His face was quite void. He stared at me with blank eyes. when we made eye contact, that empty gaze melted into a glare.

~!~

I slowly walked into the conference room. The moment i stepped in, all eyes were on me. I wore the fresh doctor's lab coat with my name on it. In my hand was a folder with papers that points in which the meeting was going to be about. They were translated in English. I have to admit, it's very nice to see them doing so much for me. I paused for a moment before my eyes swept over the room. It reminded me of a college classroom in the states. I'm pretty that every doctor in the building was present.

I was searching for a seat when someone placed a hand on my shoulder. I jumped, surprised by the sudden gesture. I turned around to see a woman staring at me. She wore a nurse's uniform. Her hair was long, and light brown. She had dark brown eyes that almost looked black. She wore a light smile on her pink painted lips. She looked a bit older than me. She couldn't be a day over 25.

"Hi." She spoke in fine English, "I'm Su Hwa. I'll be your translator, I'm here to help."

I simply smiled before looking back towards the seats.

"Your seat is over there. That's where the Trauma Department is." Su Hwa explained. All I did was nod. As I was approaching my seat, I spotted a familiar face. Dr. Kim. He was oblivious to my presence. Speaking of being oblivious, I wasn't aware of Su Hwa trailing close behind me.

"Dr. Vaughn, are you going?" She questioned softly. Without a word, I made my way towards my seat. I walked into the row of seats, walking past Dr. Kim. I took my seat, which was one away from him. Su Hwa sat in between us.

"If you're curious about anything, just let me know." Su Hwa informed me.

That's when the chairman strolled in. In that moment. Every stood up from their seats. I followed, clumsily standing up from my seat. After bowing quickly, we all sat back down. The chairman ranked his eyes through the room, till he found who he was looking for.

Me.

"Before we start the meeting." He began. Su Hwa began translating for me. I ignored her, blocking out the words.

"I told you all yesterday, that I was hoping to have someone new with us. She made the right decision choosing Seoul National University Hospital. She comes from the United States. She started college early and finished at the top of her class. I've only heard about her amazing skills and techniques but I can't wait to see it for myself. Even though she can't understand a word I'm saying...Doctor Vaughn, please stand up." Chairman Lee said. I was a bit surprised he spoke that last bit in English.

I stood up from my seat. Everyone's eyes were already on me, so I didn't feel any different. There was a small silence before the rest of the doctors began to clap.

"I'm quite disappointed. I expected someone with more...class." A husky voice spoke from my right. I turned my head to see Dr. Kim staring at me with a grimace. Yet, he was clapping his hands. He met my eyes.

He began to clap very slowly, as if to send me some type of message.

"Let's see if you live you to your name." He spoke. It's interesting how he speaks Korean when he's insulting me. Mhh. Funny don't you think?

"Dr. Vaughn will be working with the Trauma Wing under Dr. Kim." Chairman Lee spoke, drawing my attention back to him. Dr. Kim stood up with a smile on his face. He turned to me, stretching his hand out.

"I can't wait to work with you." He spoke flashing that fake smile. He stared at him, and his hand.

I slowly reached my hand out and shook his hand.

"I'm glad you're here. I'm very excited to work with you." He uttered. I raised an eyebrow, slipping my hand away from his.

Bull.

~!~

I don't know how to explain it, but, wearing this white coat gave me a new sense of pride. Su Hwa will be following me around all day. She's gonna translate everything for me. I was quite surprised that hospitals wanted to hired me when I told them I couldn't understand Korean. Now that I think of it, it might seem a bit petty when I tell them the truth.

I walked out into the hallway, Su Hwa shadowing me. I looked down at the clipboard in my hands. I'm supposed to go meet a patient about a surgery.

"Room 493," I muttered to myself. I started for the to room. Fellow doctors greeted me kindly. All I did was return a smile. When the room came in sight, I looked behind me to make sure Su Hwa was keeping up.

"Dr. Vaughn, you walk so fast." She told me, her breathing heavy.

"Walking slow is a waste of time." I informed her before opening the door to the hospital room. There stood a young man, he looked like he could be in early 20's. Once he spotted me, his eyes widen.

"This is the doctor who will be performing my surgery? She's a foreigner, are you sure she's any good?" he questioned in a frantic voice.

I crossed my arms over my chest as Su Hwa translated what he was saying.

"Hello Mr. Jeon. I'm Dr. Vaughn. Yes I am a foreigner, but you don't have to worry. I was one of the best surgeons at my previous hospital in America."

When Su Hwa translated what I said for him I could see a bit of relief in his eyes.

"You're a soccer player right? But, I heard that the car accident messed up your ankle? Now I looked at the x-rays. This is a simple procedure. you should be back on your feet in less than 3 months. So please relax, you're in good hands."

Mr. Jeon seemed at ease. He nodded his head and showed me a strained smile. After chatting with him a bit, I made my way out of the room.

"The surgery isn't till tomorrow. There isn't much for you to do Dr. Vaughn. You could go to the main wing of the Trauma department and see what's going on." Su Hwa suggested.

I simply nodded, making my way to that place. The hallways were busy with nurses and doctors. Some were walking, others were running. I didn't even make a glance at them. They have work to focus on, just like I do. Though, I must say, I'm a bit disappointed that I don't have more work to do.

As we entered the main wing, I came upon an interesting sight.

Dr. Kim.

There laid a woman on one of the hospital beds. Her hands placed on the small bump of her stomach. Blood curling screams were escaping her lips. Her blue sundress covered with blood.

I focused my eyes on Dr. Kim who was hollering out orders to the other doctors and nurses. He looked quite different than the man I saw before. That pretty boy looked like a man at this point. The way his brows furrowed and his forehead creased.

I didn't realize how much I saw staring till Su Hwa giggled from beside me. I turned to look at her, and she cast her eyes down shyly.

"Are you falling for Dr. Kim already?" She squeaked, peering into my face.

I scoffed, before glancing back at Dr. Kim. I looked back at Su Hwa and shook my head.

"I appreciate skilled doctors, that's all." I answered before walking away. I headed to my office, which I would spend a lot of my time in. I told Su Hwa that she could leave, because I was going to take a nap.

Though I wanted to work right away, I was told to explore and become familiar with the hospital. I sat in my nice office, at the pretty wooden desk. I stared at my name tag for a moment before sighing.

I stood up, taking off the doctor's coat to reveal my basic outfit. I walked to the huge white binder that sat on the bookshelf in the far corner. It was the only thing on the bookshelf. It was the policies of the hospital, along with expectations and more. I walked back to my desk and began to read. Of course the text was in english.

I wasn't sure how long I was reading for, but I was so absorbed that when Su Hwa knocked on the door of my office, my whole body jumped.

I placed my hand on my chest, taking some deep breaths.

"Come in." I called out, standing up from my seat. Su Hwa poked her end in, staring at me curiously.

"Aren't you going to eat lunch?" She questioned, raising an eyebrow at me. Ugh, I didn't care much for lunch at the moment. I would have to see the other doctors, who would talk trash about me in Korean. Though I said I was gonna keep up this "needing a translator" stunt, I was already tired of the restraints it caused.

"Sure." I answered, before reaching under my desk to grab my purse. Su Hwa stood by the door, waiting for me with a small smile. I stopped for a moment, narrowing my eyes at her. It was hard to tell if the smile was genuine or not. Her attempts to grow close with me weren't going unnoticed, but I wasn't sure what her motive was.

I walked away from the desk grabbed my doctor's coat and followed her out the door. I made sure to close the door behind me.

While we were walked, Su Hwa started chatting about the lunchroom, and the wonderful food they served. I nodded every once in awhile, hoping it would shut her up. I pulled on my doctor's coat quickly, ignoring the small smiles from nurses and other doctors. I don't mean to be rude, honestly. I don't want to make friends who will cause me to lose my focus.

The moment I entered the lunchroom, the eyes on me were obvious. I didn't meet any gazes, as I settled in the line, where all the food was nicely displayed. I walked over and grabbed a plate, taking a sandwich and a bottle of water. I turned from Su Hwa who was pushing me to get more food. I walked to the nearest table, which was empty, and began to eat. I leaned back in my seat, eating calmly.

It was some time before I realized that Su Hwa was sitting beside me eating a salad with a strained smile on her lips.

"You can go eat with your friends." I told her as I opened the water bottle.

"It's alright, I don't want to leave you alone." She cooed taking another bite of her salad.

"How sweet." I murmured sarcastically.

I rolled my eyes a bit, and looked around the lunchroom to meet a pair of eyes. They were female eyes. I cocked my head to the side. She's the woman who stood there wondering who I was, when I first arrived.

I raised one eyebrow at her, as if asking her a question. She snickered before whispering something to Dr. Han who sat beside her. Dr. Han laughed before looking my way.

I looked down at my food once again,finishing the sandwich. I slowly rose from my seat and threw my food away.

Things were peaceful like that for the next few days. No one really took an effort to speak to me, which was just perfect. I completed all my surgeries with perfection, proving those who doubt me. The quiet rude remarks in Korean were constant, though I didn't see many doctors often.

I was still reading that huge binder and signing a few papers. But, today was finally the day where I sit where the action is.

It's my 5th day working in this hospital and I've done a total of 3 surgeries. I'm sure the other nurses and doctors were watching me closely, hoping to see me grown with temper.

I walked out of my office, heading to the elevator as I put on my doctor's coat. I pressed the down button, waiting for the doors to open. Su Hwa is going to pop up any minute. I should enjoy this silence before-

"Dr. Vaughn!" I shrill voice called out from behind me. I groaned, closing my eyes for a moment. Could sense her presence behind me, though she didn't say anything. I heard a ding from the elevator and opened my eyes to see the doors also opening.

The huge elevator already carried 3 people who were chatting among themselves. The conversation stopped for a moment as they noticed me. I walked into the elevator, not caring much for their words.

Su Hwa walked in, bowing slightly.

"She doesn't even greet us." One of the doctor's hissed. I glanced over, noticing that doctor was Dr. Kim. I bit my lip, trying to keep myself from laughing. I just found his comments stupid, seeing as he ignored me every time he's seen me in the past week.

"She's such an idiot. What type of person comes to a hospital when they can't speak the language." Dr. Han added. Wow, the whole squad is here. I acted oblivious to Su Hwa who was getting quite tense beside.

I couldn't help it as a smirk pulled at the corner of my lips.

I peered at the 3rd doctor, the woman who would constantly dirty look me in the lunchroom. I found out she is Dr. Goo, the last doctor to join this hospital before me. I smirked, blinking at her as the 3 doctors looked on in confusion.

"Dr. Goo," I started in Korean, "aren't you going to agree and insult me like always?" I watched with delight as their eyes widen. I smiled even wider before bowing slightly and looking forward at the elevator doors, just as they opened.

I looked to my right where Su Hwa stood confused, and a bit hurt. I was the first one to step out the elevator and onto the Trauma Department. Though, they were quick to follow. Dr. Kim walked in front of me, his express hard and uneasy.

"You speak Korean?" Dr. Kim his, running his fingers through his hair. There's that pretty boy side to him again. Though he looked angry, he still managed to do something in a y way. I understand why all the nurses throw themselves at him.

"Yes I have since I was six years old." I answered, placing my hands in the two pockets of the doctors coat.

"Dr. Vaughn, if you spoke Korean why would you lie?" Su Hwa asked. I turned around to face her and shrugged.

"It was nothing personal, honestly. I just wanted to see how fake and untrustworthy the doctors of this hospital were." I replied my eyes darting to Dr. Goo & Dr. Han. I turned back to meet eyes with Dr. KIm.

"I must say, I was not disappointed."

"I knew from the start you were gonna be a problem. Just look at the way you dress, what kind of doctor presents themselves that way?" Dr. KIm called out.

I looked down at my outfit. Black leggings, a sear blue top and some red sneakers. I looked back up at Dr. kim who looked satisfied with his insult.

"Su Hwa," I turned to the young nurse staring with child-like eyes, "I am sorry for wasting your time."

She swiftly shook her head, "I'm honestly not angry. I got to become your friend. I am happy we spent time together."

I cringed at her use of the word friend.

I excused myself, walking past Dr. Kim to the desk where nurses sat.

"Is everything under control?" I asked, ignoring the looks of surprise at my crisp Korean.

"Y-yes, Dr. Vaughn." One of the nurses answered. I smiled before turning around to walk further in the department.

"My head hurts." A small voice rang through the place. I stopped my walking to see a little boy sitting on a stretcher with his hand on his head.

I watched on as one of the nurses spoke quietly to him. The kid looked like an elementary student. When I looked closer, I noticed he still had his uniform on.

"What's wrong?" I asked slowly walking towards the boy and the nurse. The boy looked my way before looking back at the nurse with a questioning look.

"She is a doctor here at the hospital Minjoon." The nurse explained. The little boy looked at me again, his eyes staying on my face for sometime, before trailing to my doctor's coat.

I was standing there chatting with Minjoon about his head pain. He went to his babysitter right after his morning academy classes. That's when the headache intensified and he began to feel dizzy. The babysitter was nowhere to be found. I asked the nurse, and she stated that the babysitter looked like a girl in her mid-20's. My eyes scanned across the department, trying to spot someone who matches that description, but failed to.

I asked him if he hit his head in anyway, and he answered no, in a small quiet voice. I reached my hand forward to examine him when a booming voice from behind called the boy's name.

"Minjoon!" I turned around to see a man and a woman. The man wore a crisp business suit while the woman was dressed in a fancy blue gown. I'm guessing these are his parents. The woman rushed forward, tearing gathering in her eyes.

I watched on as the man, who i assume is Minjoon's father scoffed. I narrowed my eyes at the man, noticing his lack of consideration for the boy. I watched on as the mother held Minjoon in her arms. But my eyes were on Minjoon. His skin was awfully pale and lacking color. There was discoloration under his eyes, and watching his chest, he was struggling to breathe.

Something else caught my attention. When the mother put her arms around Minjoon, he winced.

"His head is always hurting, we'll just give him some advil and he'll be fine." The father said, looking my way. This is the first time someone assume I spoke Korean, instead of the other way around.

I pressed my lips together as the mother helped Minjoon off the stretcher, once again causing Minjoon to wince.

"I'm sorry, I can't let you do that." I spoke sternly.

Both parents stared at me in disbelief.

"Excuse me?" The woman asked, her once sad expression changing to one of anger.

"I said," I hissed, "I can't let you do that. We need to run a CT scan on him to make sure there is nothing wrong." I turned to the nurse nodding at her.

She seem to understand, running to get the papers for the CT.

"His head always hurts! He'll be fine." The man started to yell a bit, causing eyes to focus on us.

"If his head always hurts, that's more of a reason to do some tests." I answered, not backing down. That's when there was suddenly a hand on my wrist.

"Dr. Vaughn." A stern voice said from behind me. I turned around to see pretty boy Dr. Kim glaring at me. Though his tense stare had no affect on me. I raised an eyebrow at him, glancing down at his hand on my wrist.

"Yes, Dr. Kim?" I replied in a sarcastically sweet voice.

"Do you know who these people are?" He asked, nodding towards the mother and father.

"I don't care who they are," I began, "I am focusing on that little boy."

"The parents of that little boy are nice, rich people who often give money to the hospital. If they want to take their son home, let them." He spoke through clenched teeth. I couldn't help but scrunch my face up.

"Excuse me?" I hissed. I pulled my arm from his grip before turning back to the parents.

"I am going to take your son for a CT scan." I repeated, hearing Dr. Kim groan behind me.

"Mr. Yoon," Dr. Kim said, "Please ignore this doctor, she's a bit new here. If you want to take your son, please do so."

"No." I spoke sternly.

"Ma'am, my son is just fine. If you keep doing this, we will speak to your boss." The father almost shouted. Though others around me flinched, I stayed unfazed.

I watched silently as the father turned around to leave, the mother and Minjoon following. All the eyes of the nurses were on me as I watched the family walk away. But I knew better than that. Before the three of them could even exit the department, Minjoon fell to the floor.

"Minjoon! Minjoon!" The mother called out to her son. Other doctors started rushing forward to the boy. I walked over, looking at the boy. I opened his closed eyes looking into them.

"Chronic Subdural Hemorrhage," I called out, "Get the operation room ready, now!" I called out. Other nurses and doctors picked up the boy, bringing him to the stretcher he was previously on.

(Chronic Subdural Hemorrhage - A collection of blood on the brain's surface, under the outer coating of the brain. Begin forming days or weeks after bleeding, due to head injury.)

I turned to Dr. Kim who was standing there frozen. I cocked my head to the side, anger building up in me. I didn't say anything but turned back to the parents who were also frozen with shock.

"So," I spoke casually as nurses and doctor behind me were rushing to get the boy ready for surgery.

"Which one of you is hitting him?" I said.

The air got cold, the shock of the two parents turning to anger once again. Some nearby nurses even paused for a second, bewildered at my question.

"What?!" The father yelled.

"Dr. Vaughn!" Dr. Kim shouted from behind me, "That's inappropriate."

"Shut up!" I shouted turning to face Dr. Kim. Eyes were definitely on us now. Dr. Kim looked taken back by my words.

"I don't want to hear a single thing out of you Dr. Kim. At first I had a lot of respect for your skill, but that's gone. You were so worried about these idiots giving money to the hospital that you were about to let them walk out with that boy. If the boy fainted when they were at home, he would have died!" I was shouting now. I am pissed the off.

"If you were so worried about money, that you would let a patient in pain leave without treatment, than what kind of ing doctor are you? Money over the patient? Is that how you live your life? If so get another job, because being a doctor is not for you!"

I didn't even give him a chance to reply as I turned back to the parents.

"Which one of you are hitting him? Or is it the babysitter?" I questioned.

"What in the world makes you think we would ever hit our son? How dare you?!" The mother yelled at me. I slowly nodded my head at her words before approaching the unconsciousness little boy who now had tubes down his throat and Iv's in his arms.

I slowly lifted up the shirt of the hospital gown they changed him into, revealing the fresh bruises around his stomach. I looked towards the parents.

"Mhh?" I said, "Got nothing to say huh? A hemorrhage is could by trauma to the head. Now when I saw your son wincing with every moment he made, along with how uncomfortable his walking was, I knew something was wrong. Also, the way his body tensed when the two of you arrived, my suspicious were confirmed. So which one of you are hitting him?" I pulled his shirt up higher to see that there were more busies. I slowly moved his head to the side, noticing the bruises forming on his neck.

"Dr. Vaughn." One of the nurses said making me look up, "he is prepared for surgery."

I nodded, turning around to get myself into scrubs for the surgery. I looked over at the parents and gave them a look of disgust.

"When I finish operating on your son, I will ask you the same question and if I don't get an answer, i'll make sure both of you and his babysitter go to jail." I said as they pushed the stretcher with the Minjoon on it past us.

The parents cast their eyes down at my words. I started walking away from the two parents, following the stretcher.

"Dr. Vaughn," Dr. Kim called as he followed behind me. I couldn't help but roll my eyes. Ugh, pretty boy does not give up does he?

"Talking to Mr & Mrs. Yoon like that," He paused, "You're going to regret it."

I smiled my lips quickly before sighing happily.

"As long as that boy survives, I won't regret a thing Jongin," I called him his first name, surprised that I remembered it from my first day here.

"Why are you calling me by my first name?" He snapped. He looked a bit disrespected, and I don't blame him. Calling a Doctor by their first name was considered super rude.

"After what I just saw, you don't deserve to be called a Doctor." With those words, I turned around on my heels, following after the stretcher. 

------------------------