변 // Byun

Breathtaking

(byun)

:: (short for byuntae) a ert; a green-minded person


 

Because though he may have the greenest mind, his heart is still the purest.

 


 

Yeon Rin looks out of the window and frowns when she sees the heavy rain pouring outside. She sees people running on the streets, trying to find shelter. Her frown deepens. She knows in no time, she’ll end up like those people after realizing she forgot to bring her umbrella. She’s already a quarter late for her promised date with her boyfriend, Byun Baekhyun, and his friends. She doesn’t want them to wait any longer therefore she can’t wait for this rain to stop. She figures out, it will rain for quite some time. So, she brings her bag up to her head to try to shield herself from the rain and leaves.

 

She speeds up on the busy, wet street, and stops at the bus station nearby. To make things worse, too many people are trying to get into the buses and even taxis. She definitely stand no chance to be inside any vehicle any time soon, she thinks. With a sigh, she continues to run under the pouring rain.

 

As she finds shelter in a convenient store, a very familiar ringtone goes off. She bites her lower lip, knowing pretty well who the caller is. I’m so dead.

 

“Hello?”, she answers while trying to control her voice from shaking. She fails miserably.

 

“Jagiya, why are you shivering? Where are you? Why did you leave the school? You have no umbrella. You’ll be drenched in the rain.” She hears her boyfriend’s very concerned, and slightly mad, voice on the other line.

 

“Bacon, I’m sorry.” She bites her lower lip harder. “I didn’t want to keep you guys waiting and there were no buses or taxis available so I--”

 

“You should’ve waited for me in the school! You know I don’t want you to get sick.” Baekhyun sighs. For a second, he feels relieved she was okay. But on the next, he’s freaking out knowing she’s out there, drenched in the rain.“Where are you? I’m in your university.”

 

Yeon Rin’s eyes goes wide. “You’re in school?”

 

“Yes, I came to pick you up. I knew you didn’t bring an umbrella with you. Where are you?” She’s battling with herself whether it’s the right time to blush but she doesn’t have a choice, anyway. Her body immediately reacts to it.

 

A concerned Baekhyun, although a little scary, is still a very sweet Baekhyun.

 

“I’m at the nearest convenient store. To the right of the uni.”

 

“Okay, be there in five minutes.” She hears his running footsteps on the other line. “Don’t dare go elsewhere.”

 

“Yes, I won’t.” She stops herself from giggling. “I’ll be waiting for my prince charming to come and save me.”

 

“Aish” She knows her plan worked. She can feel him smiling at the moment, although she doesn’t see it. “My pabo princess.”

 

He hangs up after a while.

 

Amidst the cold air brushing against her skin, Yeon Rin feels warm inside. Thanks to Baekhyun, he who never fails to keep her feeling that way.

 

In a few while, Baekhyun arrives. Hair is ily messed up from running. Jeans and shoes are slightly wet. Cheeks are pinkish in color due to the coldness of the wind. Add to all of that, his black v-neck shirt looks so good on him.

 

In short, he looks breathtaking.

 

Yeon Rin stares at him in awe. Is he really mine?

 

But a cold poke on her forehead brings her out of her trance.

 

“Yah! Didn’t I tell you not to leave when it’s raining?” He scolds her gently while eyeing her from head to foot, front to back. He takes out his handkerchief on his jacket’s pocket and wipes her face. “If you’re going to get sick tonight, I’ll have to punish you.”

 

She pouts, trying to pull an aegyo, which she knows she at doing. “But I’ll get even sicker if you’ll punish me.”

 

“It’s a ‘no-kisses’ punishment for you, young lady.” He replies as he wipes her hair. He removes the tie and fixes her hair himself. That brings another tint of pink on Yeon Rin’s cheeks.

 

“It’s okay. I don’t want you to kiss me if I get sick, anyway.” Baekhyun stops what he’s doing and stares at her as if asking, What?! She smiles, swinging her hands on his neck, bringing him closer. “I don’t want you to get sick, too, pabo.”

 

“Then it’s a ‘no kisses’ punishment for you after you recover.”

 

Her face scrunches up. “No fair.”

 

“Well, whose fault is that?”

 

She smirks and plants a surprise kiss. “Yours.”

 

Unbelievable. “And why is it mine?”

 

“Because I love you too much to keep you waiting.”

 

“You’re unbelievable.” Baekhyun decides to say it out loud this time and kisses her again.

 

“That’s why you love me.”

 

“Uh-huh.” He steals another kiss. “But you’ll still be punished if you get sick. So don’t get sick, understand?”

 

Yeon Rin nods repeatedly like a little kid. He chuckles, amazed at how his girlfriend is so complicated. Yet, he finds himself falling and falling in love instead of falling out of love.

 

He removes his jacket and puts it on her, a gesture which ends up with Yeon Rin finding herself falling deeper, if that’s still possible.

 

Hand in hand, they walk under the umbrella Baekhyun brought to the parking lot where he parked his car.

 


 

After a few while, the couple arrive at the “usual place” (Kim Jongin’s residence) where Baekhyun’s friends are waiting for them. Baekhyun unfastens his seatbelt and leans to the passenger seat to unfasten Yeon Rin’s, before she can even touch it. She looks at him weirdly when he zips up the jacket she’s wearing close.

 

As if he reads her mind, he smirks. “Your brassiere was exposed. I can’t let the other guys see what’s meant for my eyes only.”

 

She gasps. She can’t believe it! All this time, he had fun looking at her now see-through white shirt. And he didn’t even bother telling her. This byuntae!

 

Sometimes, she wonders whether Baekhyun really do have a tiny bit of innocence left in him.

 

He gets a smack on his shoulder. “Byuntae!”

 

Baekhyun laughs and steals a kiss. “I’m not named Byun for nothing, babe.”

 

“Aish! I can’t believe you.”

 

“Believe it, baby.” Another kiss. “Besides, you’ll have to live with this name, too.”

 

Yeon Rin’s cheeks flushes, another smack hits Baekhyun’s shoulder before she leaves the car. He laughs to himself at how adorable his girlfriend is. He isn’t joking, though. He really does hope to give her his family name.

 

Soon.

 


 

Yeon Rin rolls her eyes as she hears her boyfriend and his friends exchange green jokes. It doesn't bother her, honestly. She doesn't mind, as long as Baekhyun stays within the limits and she's glad he likes to follow rules. Besides, she jokes around with them sometimes. She finds it weird, however, how Baekhyun is so fond of spitting out green jokes yet he's the most innocent jelly bean she's ever met. She was so surprised when he admitted he had never watched a bed scene on movies and dramas. Not even a makeout scene. She even admitted to him her doubts about that fact but it was Baekhyun's friends who confirmed it. They even laughed at him for that, which Yeon Rin didn't understand why. It was nothing but an adorable fact.

 

"You okay, babe?", she hears Baekhyun ask with a hint of concern in his voice.

 

She flashes a smile. "Of course. Why wouldn't I be?"

 

Baekhyun reflects the same smile and is about to give her a peck on the cheeks when Jongin arrived with the creamy soup he pre-heated for the couple. Baekhyun pouts and she can't help but laugh at her boyfriend's cuteness. She pecks his lips after thanking Jongin and Baekhyun smiles real wide, obviously satisfied after getting the kiss he wanted earlier. She turns her gaze away with a blush on her face and takes a spoonful of the soup, which actually made her feel warmer. Baekhyun's friends, Kim Jongin, Park Chanyeol and Kim Jongdae, snickers at the scene.

 

"I see Yeon Rin likes sticky white substances.", Jongdae comments with a teasing smirk plastered. Yeon Rin gives him a grin as if saying, Of course, I do.

 

Baekhyun flushes red and throws a tissue, he rolled into a ball, at Jongdae. "Jerk."

 

His friends continue to laugh, anyway. "What's the matter, Baek? Why suddenly go allergic to green jokes?", Chanyeol teases him more, as if his booming mocking laugh isn't enough.

 

"Dude, you're so whipped." Jongin shakes his head.

 

"Idiot", Baekhyun rolls his eyes. "We don't go ."

 

Jongdae chokes on his cola (he likes drinking cold beverages on rainy days) as the other two applauds. "That was a good one, hyung." Jongin compliments.

 

Yeon Rin just shakes her head and continues to laugh at their jokes.

 

"Hey, I'm still curious, though." Jongin speaks up with such a serious tone. Add to that, he runs his hand on his platinum blond hair smoothly. "What's your fairytale story?"

 

"You guys didn't know?", Yeon Rin is surprised, an evil idea lights up in her head as she sends a teasing smirk at her boyfriend.

 

"Ya, ya, ya, jagiya~", he calls cutely and attempts to cover but too bad for him, Jongdae and Chanyeol held him back. He pouts when he realizes too soon that fighting back is of no use.

 

"Sugarpuff, what are you afraid of?", she pinches his cheeks and the other three cringe at the cheesy endearment she just called him with. But she shrugs them off. "You're cute, then. And really sweet."

 

He pouts more. "But the first meet is really embarrassing."

 

"It's more embarrassing for me."

 


 

Yeon Rin, aged 17 then, was enjoying the fresh air in the countryside while riding her bicycle. She was going around her grandmother's place, the place she missed the most. It's been a long time since the last time she's been there. She was studying in the city, in Seoul, so she had to endure being away from this peaceful place and from her grandmother.

 

On her way back to her grandma's place, she spotted a cage full of chicks. They were too cute that she had the urge to get down from her bicycle for a while and look at them in proximity. So she did.

 

"Hi little chicks.", bending down a little, she greeted them merrily. Her heart swelled in happiness when she heard them chirp excitedly. She'd like to think it was because of her presence. "Aigoo, such cute little chicks."

 

"Wow, look at that big yellow fat .", her brows furrowed when a guy's voice was heard out of the blue.

 

She looked down on her dress and gasped a little. She was wearing a yellow dress.

 

"Waaah, a cutie cutie yello--"

 

"Yah!", she yelled, standing up and turning towards the owner of the voice. The guy, who was also on his own bicycle, was too startled that he almost fell down. And it made Yeon Rin so upset. 'He should've fallen down.', she thought.

 

She picked up a tiny stone and threw it at his bicycle's front wheel, which, again, surprised him. She marched angrily to her own bicycle. But before cycling away from this creepy, erted stranger, she stuck her tongue out and said, "Byuntae."

 

The stranger's eyes went wide. Oh, he heard it clearly. And he couldn't believe that someone just called him a byuntae.

 

"Me?! A byuntae?", he asked no one in particular. "Oh, yes, I'm a Byun by name but I'm not a byuntae!"

 

He wiggled in his bicycle in annoyance and turned his head to where the chicks were, the ones he was referring a while ago.

 

"And what's so erted about complimenting a chick's ?!"

 

With an angry 'tch', he cycled his way home. Just on time, he remembered he needed to be at home before it gets dark. He still needed to pack his things before he returns to Seoul on the afternoon the next day.

 


 

Baekhyun’s friends laughs fill the room; Chanyeol’s laugh outshining the rest, as always.

 

“Why would you even compliment a chick’s , hyung?”, Jongin still manages to ask in between his laughs. He’s laughing too much that tears are already formed.

 

“It was really cute!”, Baekhyun defends himself.

 

The trio laughs even more, making Baekhyun pout. He still can’t get the point why complimenting a chick’s is hilarious.

 

Is it wrong to call a chick’s cute?

 

Yeon Rin, on the other hand, just giggles at the adorable sight. Watching Baekhyun and his friends bicker is definitely one of her favorites. Better than any comedy shows on TV.

 

When their laughs slowly die down, the trio sits up straight (they were literally rolling on the floor) and wipe their happy tears away.

 

“That was crazy.”, Jongdae says, still chuckling. “So how did our Baekhyunnie court you, Yeon Rin-ah?”

 

She flushes red as she reminisces everything. “Well, Baekhyun actually courted me three times.”

 

“Three times?!” They all ask at the same time, causing her to jump in surprise.

 

Baekhyun waves his friends away. “Aish. Don’t scare my jagiya.” They roll his eyes at him for getting extremely protective over his girlfriend. “Yes, I courted her three times. I got rejected twice.”

 

“Wow!”, Chanyeol spats in amazement, slowly clapping for Baekhyun. “Baek, I didn’t know you were this amazing.”

 

Baekhyun rolls his eyes again, wondering whether to take it as an actual compliment or just another One hundred and one Park Chanyeol ways in annoying a friend. Sometimes he wonders why he’s still friends with these idiots.

 

“Why, though?” Jongin asks, curiosity taking over. The thought of them still ending up together after Yeon Rin rejected Baekhyun twice makes the curious bubbles pop inside Jongin’s mind. He finds it both amazing and weird at the same time. Amazing, because Baekhyun still had the guts and courage to court her again and again after getting heartbroken due to her rejections. Weird, because in the end, they still coupled up. If Yeon Rin really liked him, why did she reject him twice?

 

Yeon Rin looks down and fiddles with her fingers. “I-I was too afraid then. My previous relationship...well, it turned out to be a bad memory.”

 

The trio softens and looks at her with pity. Somehow, they feel guilty for cracking a sensitive topic open. They may not know what truly happened but the look on Yeon Rin’s face is enough evidence to know that whatever happened before wasn’t worth remembering at all.

 

Baekhyun reaches out for her hand and squeezes it. She looks up and he smiles. That instantly makes her feel better.

 

Everything always feels better with Baekhyun.

 

“So, what did our Baekhyunnie do that you gave your sweet yes on his third try?”, Jongdae tries to lighten up the mood.

 

“Well...” Yeon Rin starts. A pretty smile is now gracing her face as she reminisces the day she finally gave in to her feelings.

 


 

"Yeon Rin-ah, isn't that Baekhyun-ssi?", she turned her head to where her friend pointed and saw Baekhyun leaning on her school's gate.

 

She felt her cheeks slowly heat up at the sight of him. She was surprised to see him there. Was he waiting for her? Was he here to see her? Did he miss her? All these questions filled her mind in an instant. And deep inside, she wanted the answer for all those questions to be Yes.

 

It had been quite a long time since he came to her school like that because he got really busy with his studies as a graduating student. Though she didn't want to admit to anyone, she missed it.

 

No, she missed him.

 

Her friends giggled and started teasing her. "Aigoo, Yeon Rin-ah. Baekhyun looks so cool."

 

"Why don't you just accept his confession? He's been courting you for the third time now."

 

Of course Yeon Rin had considered about it, more than her friends could ever imagine. But whenever she decided to accept his proposal, her bitter past haunted her like a nightmare in a flash, changing her mind in a jiffy.

 

She didn't say anything. It's not like she had something to say, anyway. As of the moment, she was still torn between the growing feelings she has for Baekhyun and the fears that her past lover had left her as a remembrance.

 

“Hi Baekhyun-ssi!”, her friends greeted excitedly, teasing her.

 

Baekhyun could only chuckle. “Hey guys!”

 

"Hi Baekhyun-ssi", she greeted silently when she reached him.

 

Baekhyun stood up straight upon seeing her and flashed the smile that Yeon Rin didn't realize she's been missing. A lot more than necessary. "Hi, Yeon Rin-ah. Missed me?"

 

The squeals her friends made were too loud that other students were looking their way. Yeon Rin wished she could just bury them alive.

 

“She does!”

 

“A whole lot!”

 

Her cheeks flushed red as her friends answered in her behalf. She’s really considering the idea of burying them alive. Now where is that shovel?

 

But before she could even grab hold of her good-for-nothing friends, she’d like to think, they already sped away, bidding goodbye to both Yeon Rin and Baekhyun.

 

She sighed. I didn’t even get to dig a hole for those idiots.

 

Seeing how she looked at the moment, all red and pouting, Baekhyun couldn’t help but chuckle. “Aww, Yeon Rin missed me.”

 

She rolled her eyes at his overflowing self-confidence. It was Byun Baekhyun, afterall.

 

"Ha! In your dreams." She lied and stuck her tongue at him.

 

Of course, it was a lie. A rather big one. Although she missed the latter so much, beyond imaginable, she couldn't bring herself to admit it directly to him. Maybe not yet.

 

"If you say so.", Baekhyun smiled and placed his hands inside the pockets of his pants, which sent Yeon Rin on fire. That was really attractive. “Are you on your way home?”

 

She nodded. “Why are you here, by the way?”

 

“To see you, of course. Why else?”, he answered with a smile. “Am I not allowed to see you anymore?”

 

She blushed. To say it felt good to hear him say it was an understatement. It felt wonderful!

 

But she didn’t want to admit. As always. So she just replied an unsuspecting“oh”.

 

“Are you busy?”, he was worried that he might be bothering her with any plans she had for the afternoon.

 

But he felt relieved when she shook her head. “Not really. How’s school?”

 

“Good. I was able to comply with all my requirements for graduation. All I have to do now is to pass my final exams and I’m finally one step away from my diploma.”, his answer was filled with joy and Yeon Rin couldn’t be more proud and happier for him.

 

“Congratulations, oppa! You’re finally one step closer to your dreams.”, she smiled happily at him.

 

“Thank you, Yeon Rin-ah.”, he reciprocated the smile. “Shall we go to the noraebang and celebrate?”

 

She giggled. “Yah! You still have a month. Isn’t that a little early to celebrate for your graduation?”

 

“Who says we’re celebrating for my graduation?”

 

“If not, then what are we celebrating for?”

 

He grinned, “Our reunion, of course.”

 


 

The moment they stepped inside the karaoke room, they immediately sang their hearts out. Well, Baekhyun did most of the ‘proper’ singing since he’s way better at singing than Yeon Rin. Besides, she liked hearing him sing. And as much as she hated to admit, she liked to imagine he was singing and relaying the songs to her.

 

Little did she know, those songs were for her and her alone.

 

She clapped every time Baekhyun finishes and even when he starts a song. But the next one surprised her, too surprised that she couldn’t bring her hands together to clap for him. It was an english song but that wasn’t the point. It’s what the song says.

 

Justin Timberlake’s Not A Bad Thing.

 

Baekhyun smiled at her, a little nervous, before he cleared his throat and started singing.

 

Said all I want from you is to see you tomorrow

And in every tomorrow, maybe you’ll let me borrow your heart

Is it too much to ask for every Sunday?

And while we’re at it throw every other day to start

 

Yeon Rin could hear her heart thumping loudly against her chest. She became conscious all of a sudden, worried that he might hear.

 

He locked eyes with her as he sang the next lines, leaving a tiny strange pinch in her heart when she heard what it said.

 

I know people make promises, all the time

Then they turn around and break them

When someone cuts your heart

Open with a knife and you’re bleeding

 

Only one name appeared in her mind as those words were sung. Luhan.

 

Baekhyun held her hand, pulling her out of her thoughts. His eyes never left her.

 

His touch, his stare told her to stop thinking about him. So she did.

 

But I could be that guy

To heal it over time

And I won’t stop until you believe it

Cause baby you’re worth it, so...

 

Yes, she thought. He’s worth it.

 

Don’t act like it’s a bad thing

To fall in love with me

Coz you might stick around

And find your dreams come true with me

 

Spend all your time and your money

Just to find out that my love was free

So don’t act like it’s a bad thing

To fall in love with me, me...

 

Baekhyun smiled at her, rubbing his nape shyly. “Sorry, I changed a part of the lyrics because I didn’t want to curse.”

 

She laughed, finding his innocence really cute. “You should be a lyricist then.”

 

“You think so?”, He grinned.

 

She nodded. “I know so.”

 

Baekhyun pulled her closer to him. Her heart was beating erratically as the distance between them was shortening inch by inch. The instrumental of the song on the background was not helping at all.

 

He stared deeply in her eyes. “It isn’t a bad thing, Yeon Rin-ah.”

 

“Baekhyun-ah...”, her voice came out so soft causing him to smile.

 

“I wasn’t kidding when I said I’m not giving up even if you’ll reject me a hundred times. Maybe a thousand times even.” He started. “And even if you’ll reject me again this time, it’s okay. Maybe fourth’s the charm.” He chuckled and Yeon Rin found it harder to breathe.

 

“But before rejecting me for the third time, please hear me out.”

 

His eyes looked straight into her very own and as always, Yeon Rin was getting lost faster than she expected. She couldn’t help it. There was something in his eyes that she finds enchanting and mesmerizing-- love and sincerity. She knew what Baekhyun was about to tell her sincerely speaks what was inside his heart and mind. He always does.

 

“I hope you know that I am not kidding around every time I tell you I really do love you.” Oh yes, she knows. She never doubted. “I really do, Yeon Rin-ah. I’ve said it probably a million times but I will never get tired of it. I love you and if you’ll let me, I’ll mend that broken heart of yours. Let me replace those painful memories you have with wonderful and happy ones, ten times happier than the good memories you have of him. Let me put together the broken pieces of your heart, make it whole and be able to fully trust and love again. Hopefully, me.”

 

Tears were attempting to fall from her eyes. And no, she couldn’t let them fall. They would just worry him and that’s the last thing on her list.

 

“Why?”, she softly asked with her head down. “Why me, Baekhyun-ah? I-I-I’ve hurt you, twice. I broke your heart.”

 

She couldn’t look at him without feeling guilty. She broke his heart for so many times yet he still stayed by her side as a friend and loved her even more. She thought she’s undeserving of such admiration. She thought she doesn’t deserve Baekhyun. Unlike him, she’s not brave enough to risk her heart getting broken again. Unlike him, she’s weak.

 

“Why shouldn’t I?”, she looked up to him. Baekhyun was still smiling that sweet smile he always gave. “I don’t see any reason not to love you and choose you, Yeon Rin-ah.”

 

Baekhyun held her hand to his heart. “You make me happy. Ah, no. You make me the happiest. Just the mere sight of you, even from miles away, drives my silly heart insane. You make me so happy that I don’t mind giving my heart to you wholly and having it back broken. Because at the end of the day, no matter how hard you break my heart, you’re still the one who can put it back together. You’re still the reason why it’s beating, keeping me alive.”

 

He paused and she saw how his eyes sparkled as the tears formed. “Not seeing you makes me miss you. A lot. But then again, even if you’re here, I still miss you.” He confessed. A blush was slowly creeping up his face.

 

The beating of her heart was beyond imaginable. It was beating too hard, too loud that she wondered if Baekhyun had heard it and just chose to ignore it, so as not to embarrass her. She felt as though she’s getting dizzy. The good kind of dizzy.

 

“I’m willing to wait, Yeon Rin-ah, whenever you’re ready. All I’m asking is just a chance to prove how much I love you. A chance to prove that I wouldn’t be like him. That I’ll make you the happiest, like how you make me the happiest. Please don’t close your heart for me.” He paused again and stared once more deeply in her eyes. She had never felt so warm on the inside, feeling as if all the wounds have closed and healed and all that were left were the scars as a reminder. “But then again, even if you’ll close it, I’ll still knock on it with a hope that you’ll open it up and let me in. That’s how much I love you, Yeon Rin-ah.”

 

And that was it. Her tears came gushing out of her eyes, like how her heart gave in to the feelings she was hiding for so long for Baekhyun.

 

She couldn’t keep it in anymore. At that moment, she no longer felt the worries and fear she had inside her. At that moment, nothing else mattered but the love she had for the man confessing before her and for his love that slowly melted the cage she kept her heart in.

 

It was a dangerous move, she knew it definitely was. Yeon Rin knew the moment she let Baekhyun in, she was only probably giving her heart out again to be crushed but somehow, she didn’t mind the risk. Baekhyun was brave enough to tell her about his feelings even after getting rejected a couple of times. And that gave her an idea that perhaps, Byun Baekhyun was worth the risk.

 

A silly idea, yes it may be, but she didn’t care.

 

She loves him. She loves Byun Baekhyun and that reason was more than enough to fight for him.

 

“I love you, too, Baekhyun-ah.” She cried softly.

 

But Baekhyun didn’t seem to quite catch it this time. Of all the times.

 

“It’s okay, Yeon Rin-ah.” He flashed a small smile. “Like I said, I’m not giving up. Maybe fourth’s the charm.”

 

She looked at him, confused. Didn’t he hear what I just said?

 

“Baekhyun-ah”

 

“Hm?”

 

“I said, I love you, too.” She repeated. Her cheeks flushed red in a jiffy after just confessing her love to him for the second time around and even louder this time.

 

“I told you, Yeon Rin-ah, it’s o--”, he stopped midway. He contemplated whether he was hallucinating or probably daydreaming.

 

Though it was already nighttime.

 

He looked at her, eyes wide and searching for answers. When Yeon Rin neither confirmed nor denied saying it, he concluded he was just really halluci--

 

“I love you, too, Baekhyun-ah.”

 

Maybe not.

 

He heard it clearly this time. Every single word she uttered, he didn’t miss. Is this all just a dream? He suddenly hoped not to wake up from it anymore.

 

But no, he wasn’t. He realized this when she hit him lightly on his shoulder.

 

She felt shy after getting no response from him and wished for the ground to open up and swallow her right then and disappear forever.

 

She buried her face in her own hands, attempting to hide it. “Baekhyun-ah, say something.” Her voice came out muffled.

 

“Di-Did I hear it correctly, Yeon Rin-ah?”, happiness flooded over Baekhyun. “You feel the same way?”

 

She slowly uncovered her face and nodded, still not looking at him. “I do, Baekhyun-ah. It isn’t a bad thing, right?”

 

Out of pure happiness, Baekhyun enveloped his arms around her and lifted her, spinning her around happily.

 

“Yeon Rin-ah...”, he whispered after putting her back down and hugging her tight. “Of course, it isn’t.”

 

She smiled and hugged him back tighter. She felt so happy and free; free from all her fears and worries. She never knew she would ever feel that way again.

 

“Yeon Rin-ah...”, Baekhyun called as they broke free from the hug. He caressed her cheeks and tucked her hair behind her ears as he stared on her eyes then down to her lips. “Can I kiss you?”

 

Her heart beat faster than it previously did.

 

“A kiss won’t be a bad thing.”, she shyly whispered. “I think?”

 

Baekhyun slowly leaned in, further shortening the distance between them. And as their lips met, Yeon Rin felt ecstatic. Everything felt so right, so perfect, so worth it. The fluttering feelings that’s burning inside her told her that she just made the best decision in her entire life.

 

That Byun Baekhyun was definitely worth the risk.

 

And that Justin Timberlake was right, afterall.

 

It’s not a bad thing to fall for a guy as worthy as Byun Baekhyun.

 


 

After reciting the whole book of how their love story blossomed, they all decided to call it a night.

 

Yeon Rin holds Baekhyun’s free hand when they finally settled down inside his car. They are now on their way to her apartment and Baekhyun insisted to send her home. She wanted Baekhyun to stay with his friends to enjoy the rest of the night with them and go to the arcade, like what they had planned but he insisted on boycotting them, for the reasons of 'I had to make sure she gets safely to her apartment'. The trio whined for a while and complained of how clingy and possessive Byun Baekhyun was, though they actually don't mind letting the couple enjoy some time alone. But being really mischievous as they are, before letting him go, they teased Baekhyun one more time by singing his confession song. Baekhyun groaned and shooed them away, insisting that they all leave him and Yeon Rin alone. The three idiots, as Baekhyun likes to collectively call them, skipped their way to the arcade, laughing real hard still at their poor friend.They just enjoy teasing the hell out of Baekhyun, taking advantage of the wonderful situation. It's been long since they were able to make fun of him in the presence of his girlfriend so it actually felt so good to be back on business.

 

"Jagiya~", he whines cutely as he turns to her with a pout. The blush is still gracing his flawless face. "Why do you have to bring that up? That was embarrassing."

 

"Yah!", she lightly hits his arms again. A feminine laugh follows after. "I told you. It was more embarrassing for me. How the hell would I know that you were referring to the chicks?"

 

"Because I said yellow?"

 

"I was wearing yellow!"

 

Baekhyun pauses and thinks about it for a while. "You have a point though." A smirk appears. "But you do have a big fat , too."

 

"Aish!", she reacts and slaps his arm lightly. "Byuntae!"

 

"I'm not named Byun Baekhyun for nothing."

 

She cannot agree more. He's right.

 

"And you enjoy living by your name too much, I see.", she giggles.

 

"Hmm, not really.", He presses the brake as the light turned red and surprises her with a kiss on the lips. "By the way, thanks for keeping up with my friends. They can get really out of hand most of the time but they're good.", Baekhyun says with a smile.

 

She nods. "They are, indeed. And really funny, too. I'm glad you are friends with people like them. Besides, I don't mind having them around."

 

It goes silent for a while after Baekhyun hums a 'right'. The serenity is too relaxing that Yeon Rin finds herself falling bit by bit into slumber. Her lips curve into a smile as she silently enjoyed the peacefulness with Baekhyun by her side and with his hand on hers, tightly intertwined. She decides to take a short nap.

 

But Baekhyun isn't done talking.

 

"Jagiya?", he calls. His hand finds comfort in her tiny one.

 

"Hm?"

 

"You really have a nice ."

 


 

The next day is another beautiful day yet Yeon Rin can’t find a reason to rejoice and see it as something beautiful, a complete opposite to yesterday. She had so much fun the night before with Baekhyun and his friends and now, all the fun seemed to drain out of her system.

 

It is her time of the month and things don’t really go the way she wants them to be whenever this time comes. She’s completely aware of her terrible mood swings. How she gets mad over a reason not even existing. How she feels hungry even after emptying her full breakfast plate. How she needs to go to the bathroom more often than she usually does because she had to change. It annoys the hell out of her but there’s nothing she can do. It is literally a part of her life.

 

And that’s not even the worst.

 

She groans in pain as her lower abdomen starts to ache again.

 

Why wasn’t I born a boy?

 

With her right hand clutching her lower abdomen, an attempt to reduce the pain, which is not working at all, she goes down to her kitchen to check if she still has a pain reliever available. She mentally curses when she can’t find any. She goes back to her room to check for available sanitary pads and it only annoys her more when she finds the container empty.

 

And to make her day worse, she hears the doorbell rings.

 

She lets out one last groan before opening the door. Her boyfriend’s happy face welcomes her yet it still isn’t enough to brighten up her day.

 

Baekhyun’s happy face doesn’t last long when he sees the annoyed look painting his girlfriend’s beautiful face.

 

“Jagiya--”, she snaps before he could even ask her what was wrong.

 

“Yah, why are you here? Why didn’t you tell me ahead you were coming?”, he’s taken aback with her sudden outburst.

 

This is not what he expected at all. He expected to see her surprised look because that was what he intended to do, not to see her snapping out at him for something he had no idea of.

 

Did I do something wrong?

 

”I just wanted to surprise you.” His voice comes out soft, hushed and gentle. He knows he shouldn’t be but he is pretty scared and confused right now.

 

“I’m not in the mood, okay?” She snaps one more time and he did not expect the next to happen. She shuts the door close in his face.

 

Baekhyun is pretty surprised, and to say he’s hurt is an understatement. He feels terrible. He never felt so unwanted before, moreover with Yeon Rin, which is why he wonders whether it was really her or he must have knocked on the wrong door. But he knows his eyes weren’t lying to him. It was Yeon Rin.

 

But why was she acting so strange? He questions himself as he looks forward. The door that was closed on his face not too long ago meets his gaze. Somehow, he doesn’t want to leave. He wants to wait until she opens it again and probably explain what just happened-- like she must not have a good night sleep or because she’s still mad at him for eating her last slice of pizza the other night. He shakes his head. That couldnt be the reason. They just spent their time last night with his friends and they were pretty okay. Besides, Yeon Rin forgave him before that day even ended.

 

So what is it?

 

He brings his hand to knock again on her door but stops mid-way. The scene a while ago played in his memory and that causes him to put his hand down. He’s afraid she might snap at him again and somehow, that’s the last thing he wants to happen today...again.

 

With a heavy heart, he leaves and decides to come back later.

 

She’ll probably feel better when I bring her favorite ice cream.

 

A few steps away from Yeon Rin’s apartment, his phone vibrates in his pocket. Thinking it’s his girlfriend, he rushes to fish it out of his pocket, almost slipping it from his hand. Good thing he has fast reflexes.

 

However, he didn’t expect his smile to turn upside down as fast as his reflexes.

 

It’s his friend, Park Chanyeol, much to his disappointment.

 

“Baek, what took you so long to answer?”, he hears his friend’s booming voice on the other line.

 

“Nothing. Just contemplating whether I should answer it or not.”, Baekhyun jokes. But he isn’t entirely kidding.

 

Jokes are half-meant, anyway.

 

“Yah! What’s that supposed to mean?”, Chanyeol hisses on the other line. “Anyway, where are you? I’m with Jongin and Jongdae right now on our usual place.”

 

Although Baekhyun wants to go back to Yeon Rin’s apartment right now, he decides he needs to let out his feelings and the only way he figures is to meet his annoying friends.

 

Unfortunately, he thinks.

 

“Be there in 10 minutes.”, he informs before cutting the line off.

 

“Yo, Baekhyunnie!” Chanyeol’s booming voice is the first thing he hears the moment he steps inside their usual place.

 

He suddenly thinks it isn’t a good idea, anymore, when his friends pounce on him all at once.

 

“Aish, get off of me.” He pushes the little monkeys away; although only one qualifies the word “little”-- Kim Jongdae.

 

“Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed today.”, Jongin snickers. Instead of letting Baekhyun go, like the latter requested, Jongin finds it as an opportunity to tease his friend. He puts an arm on Baekhyun’s shoulder. “What’s wrong, hyung?”

 

Baekhyun sighs and slumps on the couch. “I don’t know what’s wrong with Yeon Rin today. I went to give her a surprise morning visit but she just yelled at me.”

 

“Ohhh”, the three look at each other. “Love problem.”

 

Baekhyun groans. He’s starting to regret coming.

 

His friends chuckle before sitting down beside him. Probably lending him their ears and help him, if they could. That’s what friends are for, right?

 

“Did you guys fight after we separate ways last night?”, Jongdae asks. He is pretty much serious and this speaks a lot. Kim Jongdae is never serious.

 

Baekhyun shakes his head. “I can’t remember having said anything or done anything for her to snap out of me.”

 

The three go silent after Jongdae’s hushed oh. They are pretty much confused as well. They have not seen her snap out at Baekhyun. Not even when he hid her chocolates and when it comes to her chocolates, Yeon Rin knows no friend. They figured this out since she hangs out with them quite a lot after she and Baekhyun got together.

 

A lightbulb suddenly appears on Chanyeol’s mind.

 

“Aha!”, he exclaims as if he just found the lost treasure. “Maybe it’s that time of the month?”

 

Jongin snaps, getting Chanyeol’s point. “Oh, yes. That’s it!”

 

“Time of the month?”, Baekhyun echoes. His friends give him a nod.

 

“What’s that?”, he asks when he figures out his friends are not going to elaborate more.

 

“You know, girls’ thing.” is Jongdae’s short reply.

 

“What do you mean girls’ thing?”

 

Jongin groans in frustration. His hyung might be really smart academically but he at stuffs like this. He often wonders how the hell did he survive Yeon Rin’s previous cycles.

 

Then he remembers the past incidences and somehow, it all makes sense now.

 

“Hyung, remember the times when Yeon Rin distances herself away from us and warns us about her mood swings? I just realized this was what she had always prevented from happening.” Jongin says as if he just solved a case.

 

“Ah, right, right.”, Jongdae points out to Jongin and shows him a thumbs up, agreeing to what the youngest has said. “Yeon Rin must have known this will happen. Don’t you remember anything she said the past few days? Like, not going near her around this week or...anything?” Jongdae turns to Baekhyun.

 

And that’s when it hit Baekhyun.

 

“Yes, I do! She told me a week ago not to be a pain in the this week. I thought she was just kidding then!” His lower lip turns outward. “I didn’t know she was trying to warn me about this.”

 

“Aish, hyung. You big time!”, Jongin laughs a little, sticking his tongue out at Baekhyun.

 

Baekhyun does not pay any attention. All he’s thinking right now is how to make it up to her.

 

“What do you think I should do now?”, he asks, his voice sounds desperate.

 

“Go and buy her pain relievers and sanitary pads. She must be in pain right now.”, Jongdae answers with a pat on Baekhyun’s back.

 

He shoots up, panic rushes through his entire being when the words She must be in pain comes out of Jongdae’s mouth. He can’t leave her alone, especially now that she’s in pain.

 

“I’m leaving!”, he announces as he jumps off of the couch and runs towards the door. He stops at the doorstep and smirks at his friends. “Turns out, you’re of great help, afterall. Have I told you I’m glad we’re friends?”

 

“Psh.”, Jongin rolls his eyes at him. “We know we’re the best. Now go and save your jagiya.” Jongin teases.

 

Now Baekhyun wants to take back what he just said.

 

Yeon Rin wakes up not feeling any better. And to make everything worse, she feels terrible after realizing what she had done. She snapped out at Baekhyun when she shouldn’t.

 

She draws her knees closer to her chest and hugs them. They barely reached four months since they got together and she already messed up big time. She sobs even harder when a scary thought appeared in her mind.

 

What if...he breaks up with me after what I did?

 

She shakes her head in an attempt to shake the thought away. No, she knows Baekhyun’s love isn’t that shallow for him to give up that easily.

 

This is why she always avoids Baekhyun whenever this time comes. She didn’t want to put out all her frustration on him because he doesn’t deserve them. She’d rather suffer this alone than let Baekhyun suffer from it, too. No, that’s the last thing she’ll ever want.

 

She groans when her lower abdomen starts to cramp again. Everything feels painful at the moment, on a maximum level. She shifts to a knee-to-chest position on her couch to alleviate the pain but it’s useless. As of now, all she can do is cry; cry the pain away.

 

“Baekhyun-ah...”, she cries silently, hoping he’d come back and let her explain.

 

And as if he has heard her cries, her doorbell rings again.

 

“Jagiya?” Relief floods her entire being when she hears the voice of the person she needs the most at the moment.

 

She wants to open the door and pepper his face with kisses, saying a thousand apologies at the same time. But with the pain she’s having right now, she can’t even lift a finger.

 

Baekhyun, on the other hand, waits for some shuffling movements behind the door. But he hears nothing. Instead, a cry comes out. “Oppa...”

 

He slams the door open, fortunately she left it open, and panic washes over him as he finds Yeon Rin on the couch, clutching her abdomen in pain.

 

“Jagiya!” He rushes to her side, dropping the white plastic bag on the table. “Are you okay?” He brushes her hair away from her face.

 

Yeon Rin opens her eyes and meets Baekhyun’s eyes filled with worry. She cries harder. “Oppa, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to--”

 

Baekhyun hushes her and softly chants its okay again and again. “I understand, jagiya.”

 

He tries to stand up but she weakly grabs his arm. He looks at her in pity and worry when he hears her whisper, “Don’t leave me. Please.”

 

He kisses her forehead to assure her that No, Im not leaving you again. He stands up and grabs the plastic bag he was carrying. She watches him, through her teary eyes, search for something inside before walking away. She’s about to ask him but he comes back after a few while with a glass of water in his hand. She figured out he went to the kitchen. He places the glass on the table and assists her in sitting up.

 

“I bought you some pain relievers.” He pops the capsule out of it’s foiled container. “I don’t know if this is the one you regularly take but the pharmacist said it’s a good one.”

 

Her lower lip turns outward. New batch of tears are threatening to fall. This time, it’s the good ones.

 

But Baekhyun thinks they were the opposite.

 

“Jagiya, does it hurt again?” She shakes her head while sobbing even harder. She’s too touched by his concern, even after what happened earlier.

 

She hugs him instead. “Baekhyun-ah, thank you.”

 

Baekhyun smiles as he wraps his arms around her, careful not to spill the water on her couch or drop the medicine on his other hand.

 

“You don’t have to thank me, jagiya.” He kisses her temple before pulling away. “It’s my job to take care of you.”

 

Another kiss lands on her nose and she giggles lightly. “Now take this so the pain will go away. I don’t like seeing my princess in pain.”

 

Her cheeks flush red and takes the capsule in his hand, swallowing it. She looks at him searching for something else inside the same plastic bag. Her cheeks flush even harder when he takes that something out of the bag.

 

A pack of sanitary pads.

 

He brushes his nape shyly and hands her the pack. “I don’t know which brand you preferred. But the high school girl I saw at the convenience store told me this was the best.”

 

She giggles. It amazes her thinking how he had the courage to go in a convenience store and buy such thing. It must have been very embarrassing, she thinks and feels luckier than ever.

 

“Can you uh stand up and do your...thing?” He asks rather awkwardly.

 

She nods with a smile gracing her face. Although she’s pretty sure she told him he can manage on her own, he still offers his assistance in helping her reach the bathroom and even on the way back to the couch, which she’s very thankful for.

 

She sits on the couch first and taps the empty spot beside her, telling him to take it which he gladly did. She looks up at him and finds herself falling for him more. She doesn’t mind, anyway. Byun Baekhyun is definitely worth falling for. She isn’t afraid because she knew, he will be there to catch her.

 

Baekhyun’s sigh pulls her out of her chain of thoughts.

 

“What’s wrong, sugarpie?” Baekhyun feels relieved when he hears her call him with one of the many nicknames she calls him.

 

He decides it’s time for him to punish her for worrying him a lot--through teasing her, of course.

 

“I’m just sad.” He sighs again, going all in with his acts.

 

Yeon Rin sits up straight with a pout. “Why?”

 

“It’s that time of the month and...”

 

“And?”

 

“We can’t...you know...”

 

He hears her gasp and watches her cheeks flush red in an instant, just the expression he expected. He’s about to laugh at her cuteness but he tries his best to stop himself. It’s too early for him to give away his plans.

 

“Byuntae!” She smacks him rather strongly on his shoulder.

 

“Byuntae?”, he pretends to look confused. “What’s so byuntae about being sad because we can’t go to the movies?”

 

As if caught red-handed, Yeon Rin bites her lower lip so hard Baekhyun is afraid they might bleed. She looks so adorable that he can no longer stop himself and laugh out loud.

 

Realizing she’s tricked, she smacks him again. “Yah!”

 

“I’m sorry, jagiya. You were just too cute.” He holds her face in both hands and gives her nose a kiss. “God, I love you so much.”

 

But instead of saying a sweet I love you, too, she replies with an I hate you instead and lies back on his chest. Baekhyun doesn’t mind it at all. Because he knows, behind those hateful sounding words stands the answer he wanted to get in return.

 

“Munchkin?”

 

“Yes, princess?”

 

“Thank you so much for being here.”

 

He smiles before planting a sweet kiss on her head. “I told you, it’s my job to take care of you.”

 

Yeon Rin sits up and faces him with a pout. “Still, I’m grateful you’re here. I thought you’d break up with me after I yelled at you this morning. I’m sorry.”

 

His head shakes and pinches her nose. “My silly princess.” A kiss lands on her lips after. “I did not have my heart broken twice just to give you up now. I love you too much to do that.”

 

Her heart races. “Oppa~”

 

He chuckles. He teasingly place his hand on her chest, where her heart lies beneath. “Is it beating too hard? Should I kiss you to calm it down?”

 

“Pabo-ya.”, she attempts to hide her blushing cheeks. “You’ll only make it worse.”

 

A smirk graces Baekhyun’s face, satisfied with the answer Yeon Rin has given. He’s glad he has that kind of effect to her, like how she always does to him.

 

“But I’ll forgive you in one condition.”

 

Yeon Rin looks back at him with eyebrows creasing in the middle. She looks too adorable that Baekhyun suddenly wonders if he really is deserving to have her. He mentally shakes his head. Of course, he’s deserving, he’d like to think.

 

Even if I’m not, I’ll do everything to be, anyway.

 

He steals another kiss.

 

“Let’s go to a movie date next week.”

 


 

The “next week” was pushed to more and more weeks due to Yeon Rin’s unending schoolworks piling on her desk, deadline after deadline. Baekhyun tried a hundred times to give her a break for her to relax and to spend some time together but he failed a hundred times, as well. Yeon Rin badly wanted to give in, and Baekhyun’s invites were all so tempting, but she had to discipline herself if she wanted to ace this school year. Although disappointed of failing to give his princess a break, Baekhyun gave his all out support.

 

Now that she’s free, for the meantime, from all her schoolworks, she decides it’s time to give back to her sweet little puppy who never grew tired of staying with her.

 

"Hey babe, have you chosen a flavor yet?", Yeon Rin receives a slap on her before her boyfriend wraps his hand on her waist.

 

It has always been her boyfriend's hobby to slap her , pulling a 'you have a very cute which I can't resist slapping' reason every time. And she'll just roll her eyes and reply back a whispered, which Baekhyun never fails to catch, 'byuntae'. Baekhyun, as always, blames it on his surname.

 

"I'm torn between cheese and barbeque. Do you have the movie tickets?", she replies.

 

He shows her the tickets in his hand before letting go of her waist. Instead, he intertwines his hand with hers. "We can have both flavors if you really like to have them."

 

"Really?", she turns to him with eyes sparkling more than they already were. Baekhyun laughs lightly, adoring his precious girlfriend.

 

"You don't have to let those pretty eyes sparkle some more, jagiya. I'm still buying you both flavors."

 

She rolls her eyes at him. "What are you saying? My pretty eyes just sparkle naturally."

 

"If you say so, baby." He gives her forehead a quick peck. "If you say so."

 

Her cheeks flush at his surprise kiss, although she has pretty much gotten used to them after dating him for around 3 months. Baekhyun's kisses still give her those fluttery feelings but she chose not to let him know. She doesn't have to, anyway. Baekhyun pretty much sees it through her flustered cheeks. And he likes it. A lot.

 

After taking their orders, the couple leaves and enters the theater. The movie is just about to start when they got to their seats. Although she doesn't show it, Yeon Rin is actually pretty excited to watch the movie. It's not entirely because of the movie, well, it's probably thirty-five percent of the reason, but it's actually because this is her first movie date. She has never done this with her previous relationship and it was always on her bucketlist.

 

I'm glad Baekhyun is my first, she thinks.

 

But she decides it's better to let Baekhyun know this time.

 

"Baby boo?", she calls. She smiles after receiving a soft 'hm?'. "I'm glad you're my first."

 

Baekhyun's lips tug upwards on one side, flashing a playful smirk. She feels her cheeks heat up as her hand smacks his thigh as a reflex. "Byuntae. I'm not talking about..."

 

She paused. Goddamn it. She's too flustered she can't even say it. The fact that they have not done it, or even considered doing it (she kept a promise to herself never to lose it unless she's married to the man she loves, the one she'll do it with), makes it a lot harder.

 

"About what, babe?", she silently wishes she could wipe off the smirk on his gorgeous face, which she realizes is now closer.

 

"Aish, Baekhyun-ah", she whines as she looks away and stares at the screen instead.

 

Baekhyun, satisfied, sits up properly, laughing at his girlfriend's flustered look. He loves how adorable she looked, even with the minimal lighting. It is always one of his favorite sights. He doesn't know whether Yeon Rin is aware but he's observing her every move, even the tiniest ones, and that's basically the reason why he knows she goes through five stages whenever she gets head-over-heels or flustered over something he has said or done. The first stage starts when her cheeks slowly flushes red. Then progresses later on to the second stage-- she tries to avoid eye contact with him because he knows she cannot stay sane if she did, a way for her to stop proceeding to the next stage. Third, she tries to stop her feelings from growing by biting her lower lip, slightly harder than she should that he thinks it may bleed any moment. But gladly, she didn't reach that point. And if that technique doesn't work, that's when the fourth stage start; she'll shut her eyes for a little while and scrunch her face up. Lastly, she'll take a deep breath, hold it in and slowly release it, eyes are fluttering as she opens them. He finds it pretty interesting how he notices these things that he bets Yeon Rin herself doesn't realize.

 

Love does make the smallest things matter.

 

He stops laughing after a few seconds and holds her hand before kissing it. It is one of Baekhyun's favorite thing to do.

 

"Jagiya, I was just messing up with you.", his free hand pokes her slightly chubby cheeks. "I'm glad I'm the first to take you to a movie date, too."

 

Yeon Rin should smile but she does not because she knows he isn’t done.

 

“But I’ll be glad to be your first...”, Baekhyun purposefully stops and stares at her starting to enter the first stage again.

 

“Aish, byuntae.”

 

Baekhyun’s laugh sounds so melodious in her ears and it’s not even helping her control her heart. She doesn’t know if Baekhyun is aware but she loves watching Baekhyun laugh-- it’s a favorite. And because she’s been watching him laugh too much, she knows he starts with a chuckle that she really likes hearing. Then he continues by laughing louder, his lips forming an odd shape-- a rectangle. She finds it so cute, how Baekhyun’s mouth forms a perfect rectangle whenever he laughs happily. Soon, he’ll bite his lower lip to suppress his laughter and her most favorite phase--

 

Baekhyun leans in to plant a kiss on her nose and smiles, “God, I love you so much.”

 

Definitely my favorite.

 

“I love you, too”, she replies but later adds, “byuntae.”