A Cup of Caramel Coffee (the whole story)

A Cup of Caramel Coffee (A Christmas Special)

 

It was 11:00 p.m. on December 24th. It was just another Christmas Eve. It was just the end of another busy day at Sunflower café.

A black-haired girl swayed along to the carol she was humming while cleaning the tables one last time and closing down the shop. She walked towards the coffee machine and prepared to make one last cup of coffee. Her coworkers have long left to hit the sales and party all night, but she had stayed behind because she had something to do, or rather, someone to wait for.

The whirr of the machine filled the now silent room. The girl looked out the window and tried to see through the white blanket of snow that covered it. She glanced at the clock. 11:03. With a beep from the machine, the last dark brown drop of coffee fell into the paper cup waiting underneath it. The girl took the cup and began to transform the undrinkable into something sweet and addictive as if with magic. She made one last to perfect the heart she had drawn on the top and smiled. The lights were turned off and the door was locked, but the girl did not leave. She stood in the empty street, on a heavily snowing Christmas Eve, all alone, waiting with a cup of caramel coffee.

 

She first stepped into Tiffany’s café 6 years ago, on the 24th of December, at 10:30 p.m.  She was wearing a big black jacket that looked too big on the thin frame of her body and a bright red scarf. She looked around the café nervously before hesitantly standing at the end of the line at the cashier.

“Welcome to Sunflower. What would you like to have?” Tiffany greeted her cheerfully when she stepped to the front.

The girl cringed away slightly from the loud voice and her eyes wandered around everywhere but avoided looking directly at Tiffany. “Caramel coffee.”

Tiffany stared at the strange girl for a while, taking in her appearance that gave off an arrogant yet fragile look.  The girl’s brown-colored hair fell in curls around her shoulders and down her back and her bangs slightly covered her forehead, her skin was as white as the snow falling outside, her red lips had been bitten until they were bleeding, and her eyes… they were as dark as a moonless night sky which made them stand out, but furthermore, they held such a mysterious depth which captivated Tiffany.

“Miss, we do not serve that here.” She tried to call out to her, but the girl had already moved away, leaving behind a $10 bill.  The girl took a seat in an empty seat by the snow-covered window. She stared outside although there was nothing to see and her face remained expressionless.

Tiffany asked a coworker, Taeyeon, to take over her spot while she went to the back to make the special order using her own secret recipe.

 “Miss, here’s your drink.” She placed a warm cup in front of the distracted girl, catching her attention. She gave her an eyesmile before walking away.

“Wait!” the girl called, raising a hand to wave her $10 note. “The money.”

“It’s on the house. Since you look so lonely on such a festive day.”

The girl finally looked at directly Tiffany. Their eyes met and no one looked away immediately.

“Thank you.” The girl gave a slight smile that was barely there and averted her attention back to the window.

She was there for a long time, just staring out the window and taking occasional sips of her coffee.

“Miss, we’re closing down now.” Tiffany came to inform her. It was already 11 and she was the only one left. The girl nodded, finished off her coffee, left the café without a word, and disappeared into the white world. Tiffany grabbed her bags and ran after her while putting on her coat.

A lone black shadow travelled over the white ground soundlessly, and the girl in pink followed from behind without garnering any attention from the other girl. When she sat down on the benches in front of a mall, Tiffany took a seat on the stairs, not taking her eyes off the girl. She had no idea what she was doing, or why she was doing this, but the girl was too intriguing and she couldn’t leave her alone in the middle of the night. They sat there for a long time, one girl observing the other who was looking at the happy singles and couples passing in front of her.

It was 12:45, and Tiffany finally stood up as the cold and sleepiness was getting to her. She walked towards the girl to tell the girl to go home, but stopped short when she spoke first.

“You’ve been following me.” It was a statement, not a question. Tiffany gulped at the coldness of her voice.

“Y-you should go home. I-it’s getting really late and it’s not safe and uhh, it’s really cold.” She managed to stutter out, wondering whether she was tongue-tied because of the cold or because of the way the other girl was looking at her steadily.

The girl looked away at the mention of ‘home’, and did not respond. Tiffany was about to repeat what she said when the latter stood up.

“No.” Even through her poker face, Tiffany could see her sadness and loneliness. She grabbed onto the hand of the girl who was now trying to walk away.

“Then stay with me.”

The girl stopped walking. Tiffany took the chance to hold her hand properly and started dragging her towards her own flat.

“Where are you going?”

“To my place. Your hands are freezing, you’ll get sick. Are you scared of me?”

“No.” Another short reply.

“Then.. I know that we hardly know each other, but I swear I’m a good person and I won’t do anything to you. So trust me.” Tiffany looked at the girl, waiting for her answer. The girl looked back at her expressionlessly… and she raised an eyebrow and gave a slight tug on their entwined hands when Tiffany did not do anything.

“Oh ok. Let’s go then.” Tiffany smiled widely until her eyes smiled along, finally understanding the girl’s unspoken reply. They walked in silence together, unknown that their lives have changed because of their meeting.

Tiffany opened the door and held it open for the girl to step into her one-room home. She opened the light and walked around, trying to clean up the already neat room. The girl walked towards the bed in the middle and sat down on the edge of it.

“Since you are the guest, you can sleep on the bed. I’ll sleep on that couch.” Tiffany said, pointing to the small worn out sofa on the other end of the room. The girl nodded and laid down tiredly on the pink blanket. Tiffany picked up her big grey Totoro toy and took out an extra blanket and her pajamas from her closet. After changing and washing up, she set up her makeshift bed and decided to check on the girl before going to sleep. The girl seemed to have fallen asleep already, so Tiffany contentedly walked back to the couch and tried to get settled down. But the couch was too small and the blanket did not provide enough warmth. She shifted around, trying to find a comfortable position, and ended up falling onto the floor with a loud thud. The girl turned towards her and looked on with uninterested eyes. Tiffany stood up and scratched her head in embarrassment.

“Sorry for waking you up.” She said as she sat down on the couch and tried to think of a solution.

“I wasn’t asleep.” was the quiet reply.

“Umm, can I… Can I sleep on the bed too? It’s too uncomfortable here.” Tiffany nervously asked and looked for a response. The girl did not speak much, but after communicating with her for the past hour, Tiffany now understood that a slight smile meant ‘yes’, no expression meant ‘it doesn’t matter’, and a “No.” meant ‘no’. 

Also this time, the girl did not answer her verbally but she turned to the other side and scooted to the edge of the small bed, making some room for her. Tiffany gladly slid under the covers, making sure not to touch the other girl. She sighed as she can finally feel her eyes getting heavy and within minutes she fell soundly asleep even though there was a stranger in her bed. The stranger girl turned around to see if she had fallen asleep and was faced with a beautiful sleeping angel. Tiffany felt the warmth emitted from the other girl and unknowingly snuggled closer to her. The girl was stiffened at the sudden contact, but did not move away in fear of waking Tiffany up and relaxed again after a while. There was a smile on the girl’s face as she also fell asleep.

Next morning, Tiffany woke up with her alarm. She sat up on her bed and yawned and stretched, and the first thought that came into the mind was the girl. She was gone, her side of the bed was cold, and all there was is a yellow note left behind on the blanket. Tiffany picked it up and put on her glasses to read it.

 

Tiffany,

Thank you, and Merry Christmas.

                        Jessica J.

 

Tiffany waited for the girl named Jessica to return. She waited for days, weeks, and months, but there was no trace of that strange girl… until the Christmas Eve of the following year.

 

It was exactly 11:00 p.m. when the door of the closed café opened and a girl stepped in, wearing the same red scarf that she had the previous year. Although it was snowing hard outside, all she had on was a thin sweater. She stood at the entrance, looking for the familiar face.

Tiffany came out from the kitchen area carrying a basket of clean cups. Her eyes immediately fell on the girl who was looking for her. She stopped in shock and almost dropped the basket. A wide smile lightened up her face as she put the cups on the counter and rushed to the girl she had been waiting for.

“Jessica.” She held the girl’s hands and continued smiling widely. “You’re back.”

“T-tiffany.” The girl replied with a real smile, shivering from the cold.

“You’re freezing.” Tiffany seated her at a table before rushing away to grab her pink coat. “Here. Let’s get you warmed up.”

“C-can I s-still get a coffee?” Jessica asked, pulling the coat tightly around her.

“Sure wait.” Tiffany went behind the counter to make the hot drink as the girl stared out the window. Tiffany placed the cup of caramel coffee and a Christmas cookie and took a seat across from the girl. She stared at Jessica as the girl stared out the window.

“Why are you only wearing a thin sweater?” Tiffany asked.

“I lost it on the way here.” A longer reply than usual, but still short to the point.

“Are you going to go home or are you going to wander around again?” Tiffany asked again.

Jessica did not reply, but she looked at her with a smile. Tiffany smiled back, knowing what the smile meant.

“Then let’s go. The weather forecast said there’s going to be a snow storm tonight.” She stood up and held out a hand for the girl to take.

Jessica stood up and looked at the hand for a while before taking it with a bigger smile on her face. Just like the previous year, they walked back together to Tiffany’s flat. They talked a bit more and Jessica smiled a lot more. When they got to the room, both of them fell asleep on the bed immediately. Just like last time, Jessica was gone by the time Tiffany woke up the next morning, leaving behind a note and also a small present. And she did not reappear until the next Christmas Eve.

It became a routine on every 24th of December. Tiffany would close down the café and wait outside for Jessica with a caramel coffee and a Christmas cookie. Jessica would come at exactly 11:00. They would walk around together and talk about everything. Then they would go back to Tiffany’s place and spend the night there. And in the morning Jessica would write a note a piece of yellow paper and place it on the bed with a small wrapped present and would always leaves before Tiffany would wake up.

 

On the morning of this year’s Christmas Eve, Tiffany woke up smiling. She was happy that she was going to see Jessica again, but there was another thing on her mind. The excited tingling in her heart told her that something special was going to happen. Tiffany happily skipped to the Sunflower Café to start off her day.

On her way, she saw a crowd of people standing around looking at the news on the big TV on the side of a building. She curiously went forward to investigate what was going on and the photo on the screen immediately caught her attention.

“The convicts behind the tragic incident that occurred 7 years ago have been caught last night by Korean Intelligence and Security Association. The leader of this KISA mission stated ‘We have been trying to uncover the case of the assassination of the ex-president which took the lives of hundreds of innocent civilians who were on the train on that unfortunate day. Now that we have the offenders, may all those who lost their lives rest in peace.”

Tiffany stared at the screen as tears began to fill her eyes. It has been 7 years, but now the day has finally arrived. The criminals who took away her mother have now been caught. Tiffany started to cry but stopped when she heard the voice of the ‘leader of this KISA mission’. Not only did it belong to a woman, the soft yet powerful voice was very familiar. Tiffany shook off the confusing thought and focused on the fact that now her mother’s death has been revenged.

The day passed by very quickly as there were a lot more people at the café than usual. But for Tiffany, it couldn’t get to 11:00 p.m. soon enough. When the clock finally struck 11, Tiffany was already waiting outside with the usual hot cup of caramel coffee in one hand and Jessica’s latest note in another. She looked down the street impatiently and glanced at her watched every so often.

11:10. The coffee was already starting to lose its warmth, but the girl was nowhere to be seen.

11:20. The coffee was started to freeze. Tiffany was starting to get cold even though she was wearing a heavy coat. She crouched down and rubbed her hands together to warm them. Jessica still wasn’t here.

11:30. Tiffany was starting to lose hope, but she kept waiting. She trusted Jessica. She knew that the girl would come. After all, she promised. Tiffany felt tears threatening to fall, but she unfolded the note in her hand and reread it for the nth time to reassure herself.

 

Tiff,

Thanks again, and Merry Christmas.

I’ll be back next year, so

Wait for me.

                        Love,

                        Jessi <3

 

11: 40. Tiffany was still staring at the note, or specifically the word ‘love’. Warm tears were streaming down her cheeks, turning cold even before they dropped onto her lap. Tiffany did not doubt her feelings anymore. She loved Jessica. She loved that girl who only appeared on Christmas Eve, who promised that she’ll be back, who she has been waiting for over 40 minutes.

Tiffany heard someone stomping through the thick snow and the cold wind stopped blowing at her tear-streaked face as the person stopped in front of her. She raised her head and her heart skipped a beat when she saw the girl she was waiting for. Jessica stood in front of her with an apologetic smile on her face, the usual red scarf around her neck, and a big bright yellow jacket over her black formal-looking uniform.

“Tiff.” Jessica called the crying girl, erasing all her worries and sadness. Tiffany stood up and hugged the girl. She buried her face in the girl’s hair as she began to cry again. Jessica wrapped her arms around her and rubbed the girls back to soothe her. “I’m sorry. Officer Kwon would not let me leave.”

She let the girl cry for a while before pulling back and wiping away her tears. “I’m really sorry, Tiff. I’ll never make you wait again. Forgive me?”

Tiffany nodded her head and wiped her eyes like a little child.

“Now smile.” Jessica commanded with a big smile.

Tiffany pouted for a while before breaking into an eyesmile. “I’m going to kill that Officer Kwon when I see him/her.”

“Oh, don’t kill her. Yuri is one of the only friends I have.” Jessica chuckled. She took off her scarf and wrapped it around Tiffany’s neck. And then she entwined her hands with Tiffany’s. “Now let’s go.”

“Where are we going?”

“To my place.”

They walked together hand in hand as usual, but with Jessica leading the way this time. They got to a very tall building covered with glass. Jessica walked into the building and dragged the astonished Tiffany into an elevator. After pressing for the 22nd floor, she leaned back on the metal wall and closed her eyes. Tiffany attentively looked around but her eyes kept going back to Jessica. She has never seen her in her uniform before. Jessica looked stunning in her simple white collared shirt, black long pants, and a black V-neck sweater on top. There was a logo and the words ‘K.I.S.A.’ on the shirt and a golden name tag that said ‘Jessica Jung’ on the sweater. Tiffany’s eyes lingered on the logo and name of the company, her mind working out where she has seen it before. They grew wide as she realized where Jessica worked: the Korean Intelligence and Security Association.

“Checking me out?” Jessica asked with a smirk.

“N-no!!” Tiffany quickly lied and forced her eyes to look at the flashing numbers above the elevator doors. The elevator dinged and the doors opened, saving her from further teasing and embarrassment. She quickly got out but stopped when she was faced with the only door on the whole floor which was locked.

Jessica unlocked the door with a beep and stepped into a big room that was decorated with a contemporary look. Tiffany’s eyes grew wide as she looked around.

“Wow, you’re rich.” She exclaimed.

“The company provided me with all this.” Jessica replied modestly. “Look around while I get you something to drink.”

Tiffany nodded and walked towards the luxurious living room. “The paintings are nice.”

“Thanks.”

“You are an artist.” She stated after peering at the signature at the bottom right of one.

“No I just like making art.”

“Jessi…” Tiffany was looking at the only photograph in the room as Jessica walked in with two cups of caramel coffee in her hands.

The man, the woman, and a young girl were smiling widely at the camera while the baby on the mother’s lap was sleeping. Tiffany looked at Jessica, at the young girl in the photograph, and back at Jessica.

“You’re the one.”

“Yes I am.” Ex-president Jung’s eldest daughter, the girl who disappeared on the day of the train accident while everyone else died, the leader of the KISA mission to uncover the assassination of the ex-president, Jessica J., Jung Sooyeon. Now it all made sense to Tiffany.

The door bell rang and Jessica put down the cups on the glass table before going to open it.

“Hey, Sica!” Kwon Yuri and Im Yoona, Jessica’s friends/workmates, greeted in unison. Jessica nodded her greeting back and stepped back to let them in.

“Tiff, come here.” She called to the girl who was still staring at the photo. Tiffany hurried over and stood next to her. Jessica put an arm around her waist and smiled at her. Tiffany blushed but covered it up by bowing 90˚ degrees at the two similar-looking strangers.

“Hello, I’m Tiffany Hwang.” She introduced herself and smiled her eyesmile to make sure that Jessica’s friends will like her.

“So you’re the girl who melted the ice princess. No wonder, you’re pretty.” Yuri stated with a grin, causing Jessica to slap her arm and Tiffany to blush harder. “Anyway, I’m Kwon Yuri.”

“I’m Im Yoona. Nice to meet you.” The other girl bowed back politely.

Jessica leaned and whispered into Tiffany’s ear. “Yuri’s the Kwon Officer that made me late.”

Tiffany’s smile turned into a frown and she glared at Yuri before pulling Jessica away. Yuri and Yoona looked at each other in confusion before looking at the two girls who were walking back to the living room. Jessica turned and stuck her tongue out at Yuri.

“We just came to see if you’re ok with the arrangements. We’re just a floor down so call, if you need anything.” Yoona and Yuri completed each other’s sentences, and turned to leave.

“Oh, although these walls are soundproof, don’t make too much noise.” Yuri winked and added before being pulled away by her girlfriend. “Have fun.”

Jessica buried her head in her hands in frustration and Tiffany laughed at her reaction. “You have cool friends.”

“Yeah, most of the time.” Jessica leaned back on the soft sofa with her coffee and smiled at Tiffany. Tiffany took her own cup and sat sideways with her legs across Jessica’s laps.

“This room doesn’t seem quite lived in.” She commented.

“Yeah.” Jessica admitted. “While we are involved in missions, we have to stay in the office compound and we were only allowed to go out once a year. That’s why I only appear at your café every Christmas Eve. I’ve been involved since I first got in 7 years ago, but now that my mission’s done, I finally get to stay in my own place and I can go anywhere, anytime as long as it’s after work.”

Tiffany nodded, taking in the information. It was silent again as both girls were deep within their own thoughts.

“Tiffany?” Jessica broke the silence, which was rare. “I’ve been thinking and I… no.”

“What?” Tiffany asked, looking straight at the girl who was fiddling with her empty cup.

“Do you want to live with me?” Jessica asked as she met her gaze steadily. “I mean, I know we’ve only met each other like 6 times, but I think we’re pretty close. And I’ve gotten used to living with other people so staying alone in this huge flat seems scary. And I don’t like feeling lonely. When I met you, you took away my sadness and loneliness and you are the only one what can make me truly make me happy. So if you would agree, I would like to live with you.”

Tiffany listened as Jessica speedily stated her reason, sounding as if she memorized what she was going to say. She chuckled at the Jessica who was looking at her with hope in her eyes and nervously biting her bottom lip.

“Jessi, yes. I will live with you if you want me to. Not because your house is awesomely grand which it is, but because it’s you who’s asking me.” Tiffany put her cup down on the table and leaned forward to hug Jessica.

“Tiff, would you change your mind… if.. if I told you that I love you?” Jessica asked softly.

Tiffany smiled at the indirect confession, her heart beat quickened along with Jessica’s.

“No.” She moved back so that she can see her girl’s beautiful expressive face and those dark eyes that mesmerized her at first sight. “Because you’ve got me addicted to your sweetness like caramel coffee. Or in other words, I love you too.”

The clock struck 12 as the two continued to gaze lovingly into each other’s eyes.

“Merry Christmas.” Jessica said with a smile. “Oh, I forgot to get you a gift this year.”

“This is the first time I’ve heard you say it to me.” Tiffany replied and held the girl’s hands tightly. “And it’s ok. You’re the best Christmas present I have ever gotten.”

“Don’t worry, Tiff. I’m not going anywhere.” Jessica reassured her with a kiss on the cheek. “How about we go more caramel coffee to celebrate our first Christmas together?”

Tiffany smiled and stood up, pulling Jessica up as well. “I’m never saying no to that. After all, our story started with a cup of caramel coffee on a Christmas Eve night.”

Jessica and Tiffany spent the night leaning on each other, looking out that the diamond-like snow falling slowly, and sharing a big cup of caramel coffee, just like they would for many Christmases after.