Study Date

Study Date

It’s not like you at History, you’re just really… bad at it. Because who cares about Han dynasty when they not even lasted that long? Or was it the Qins? Never mind, History was never your favourite. However, when teacher Lee hands out your latest test and your score is below 50% again,  you know something has to be done. It’s your last year in high school after all.

“Trust me, he’s the perfect guy for you.”

“Minah,” you huff at your best friend when she talks about your tutor like a blind date. You still can’t believe you agreed to this. You don’t even know this guy. He might be Minah’s boyfriend’s roommate and still be a psychopath. Although Park Jimin’s like an angel so he’s unlikely to make friends with the devil.

“No, but really. He’s majoring in History, interested in arts, loves dogs and he’s also cute.”

Minah can be really convincing if she wants to but you chuckle at her enthusiastic reply.

“It totally sounds like a dating site profile. Sounds fake.” More like your ideal type but you don’t feel the need to share this tiny fact. Minah is your self-claimed BFF since middle school so she already knows you like the back of her hand.

“Yah,” she smacks your cheeks trying to make you smile. You stuck out your tongue in return and she rolls her eyes still grinning. Just best friend things.

 

You’re supposed to meet this guy in a coffee shop near your school at 3 o'clock on Friday. Your Maths skills might not be your strength either but you’re sure he’s late. 20 minutes, no less. Due to the fact that he’s the one doing a favour for you and not the other way around, you decide to order and give him another 10 minutes before leaving.

Mindlessly scrolling down on your phone is the ideal activity to pass time but you get bored easily. Maybe that’s why you can’t study for History; you simply can’t concentrate for a long time. For the first few minutes, you eagerly peeked at everyone who stepped in the shop but after a while you stopped that too. No wonder why the gentle tap on your shoulder surprises you.

“Sorry, I didn’t intend to scare you. Are you Minah’s friend?” asks a low baritone. You turn your head to look up to the owner properly and you’re suddenly at a loss of words.

You come to the conclusion that attractive people stuck together. If you thought your best friend’s dancer boyfriend is good-looking then this guy is gorgeous. Maybe he’s not as masculine yet delicate as Jimin but he’s tall and slender. His skin is tanned while his blond bangs almost cover his beautiful, sparking hazel brown eyes.

He stares at you expectantly and you realize you need to answer.

“Yeah. And you’re Jimin’s roommate?” You get a grip on yourself finally and handsome guy hums in response.

“Best friend. Wingman. Anything he needs,” he nods and sits on the free chair facing you. He flashes a boxy grin while reaching out a hand. “Kim Taehyung, at your service.”

You introduce yourself in return and smile at his chivalry. However, you’re still a little mad at his belated timing. He’s most likely aware of this because he immediately starts apologizing:

“Sorry for being late. I got caught up. Actually there was the cutest dog I’ve ever seen in front of the shop without an owner and it looked so lonely. We started playing and I forgot about time. Sorry.”

You chuckle. It’s impossible to be angry at a guy who just started rambling about a pet story.

“The owner finally came around?”

“Yepp and guess what, he’s monstrous and not at all cute. Poor dog,” Taehyung pouts and you find yourself laughing. He’s smiling brightly at you and it’s just so right. You could forget about History and just spend some time with him. His presence is addictive already and you’d like to hear more of his stories. But that’s not why you’re here and he knows, too.

“We should probably start studying, huh? What do you need help with?” he asks suddenly in a serious but soft tone, genuinely concerned.

Everything, your brain screams, and your cute face doesn’t help at all.

 

It takes only three session and you’re starting to think otherwise. He does help a lot.

Before Taehyung you’d never guessed that History could be so interesting. He has the ability to tell every boring story like it’s an action movie or a romantic drama. He makes up acronyms to make it easier to remember dates and compares historical figures to famous idol (“He was the G-Dragon of his era.”) and so on. His teaching methods are unique but effective. Not only you have a great time with him, but on your next test you score almost 75%. It’s unbelievable and you’re eternally grateful but he just smiles and waves away your thanks.

“It’s because you’re smart. I didn’t do anything special. You just needed a little push to the right direction.”

You want to disagree but it’s always useless to argue with him over such things. Even though it’s you who needs help, he insists on paying for your drinks in the coffee shop (your common study place) because “I’m the man, I pay. End of discussion.” He doesn’t accept money either but he’s very keen on the idea of you baking. For the second session, you brought brownie then muffins, tiramisu and rice cakes. He praised all of them and said you’re an angel sent from heaven for a poor college student like him who lives on nothing but instant noodles. He doesn’t give himself enough credit because in your opinion he’s the real angel out of the two of you.

He’s literally shining: always smiling at everyone and laughing to break the ice when a situation is awkward. He’s walking you home like a total gentleman. Meanwhile he stops to pat each dog he comes across.

( “We have three dogs back in Daegu. I’ll show you pictures. They’re adorable.”)

and play with little children.

(“You’re good with kids.” You can’t help but admire his social skills and keep aww-ing every single time.

He’s always talking fondly when his family comes up.

“I have a younger brother and sister. Sometimes I miss them so much. We talk almost every day but it’s not the same. Last week Taehi turned six and said it’s unfair I couldn’t be there. Can you believe it? Such a big word for a six year old.”)

He helps the elders carrying their stuff or get off the bus and offers you his jacket when it’s cold.

(“You should watch your health more. Don’t catch cold,” he warns you while covering your shoulders with his jacket.)

You love the feeling of his big, warm clothes on you and his cologne around you. You could get used to it.

Sometimes you catch him staring.

(“What? Is there something on my face?”

“Uh no… it’s just the twinkle in your eyes,” he replies so casually, you freeze at his words. Did you hear right? Did he just use a lame pick-up line? You blush at the thought and blink at him.

“Sorry I couldn’t miss the opportunity,” he laughs and ruffles his hair while averting his eyes.)

Of course, it’s just fun for him. What would a college student like him (the whole package: smart, handsome, kind) want from a high schooler like you (to say the least: total average)? You already miss him and fear the day when he says you’re okay on your own and you don’t need him. Nowadays your scores are better than 80% and the end of term is nearing.

You can’t help but be afraid when you see the uneasiness in his eyes that day before saying goodbye.

“So… are you free on the weekend?”

For a moment he looked nervous and you thought he had enough of you. His question is a relief.

“Hm? Oh yeah, I guess.”

Taehyung’s smile is beaming.

“What about we meet in the coffee shop next to Banpo bridge? 4 o'clock on Saturday?”

“Perfect.” Even though you don’t understand the sudden change of day and location (You always meet up on Friday in the shop between his campus and your school), you go with the flow.

“Oh and wear some warm clothes,” he adds before leaving from your doorstep.

Always so caring. A smile forms on you lips and you have to bite it back. Argh… it’s so hard not to fall for a guy like him.

“Okay.”

 

You do like he told you and put on a fluffy sweater and scarf on that chilly day of early December. However, you forgot your gloves at home so you’re craving for a cup of hot chocolate as soon as you step into the warm shop.

“Hey, over here.” Taehyung is waving for you to notice him across the room. It’s weird, normally you arrive first. You walk over his table slowly and sit down in front of him.

He chose a private place near the window so you have an amazing view of the river and the public ice rink. The bridge’s rainbow-like lighting makes the sight magical and almost unearthly.

“Wow,” you sigh. It’s beautiful.

“I know, right?”  Tae says but he isn’t looking outside of the window when you turn to him. He only looks at you. His mouth curls up into a small smile when your eyes meet. “You look nice today… Not like you don’t look nice everyday but yeah.”

His blunt compliment takes you aback and you can’t help but blush.

“Oh, thanks. You look great, too.”

Doesn’t he always? But now that you look at him more closely, he’s utterly good-looking. That cute mole on his nose, his fluffy blondish locks and his broad shoulders. He’s wearing dark denim jeans and a nice blue dress shirt. His elegant beige coat is hanging on his chair.

“What should I get you?” he stands up immediately, eager to dissolve the tension.

“Anything sweet is okay.”

It can be the beginning of winter but his never-dying smile reminds you of summers full of laughter. His closeness warms your heart more than any drink could.

“Be right back.”

In the end, he brings vanilla frappucino for you and caramel macchiato for himself. He also has a plate of biscuits so you don’t say a word about the home-made macarons in your bag.

“Here you go.”

“Thank you.”

There’s a slight awkward silence that wasn’t there before. You clicked right after you first met. You wrap your fingers around your mug and glance at him bashfully. He looks like he’s waiting for something. While you almost lose yourself in his eyes, it strikes you.

“Oh. I brought everything we need,” you take out the History book, your notepad and pencils from you bag hurriedly. Taehyung’s jaw drops.

“You brought them?”

The disbelief in his voice makes you uneasy.

“Yeah, why? We don’t need it?” you crease your eyebrows in confusion. “I know the next test is like in two weeks but it’s never too early, right?”

“Oh God, it’s so awkward,” Tae murmurs and the next thing you know he’s laughing. You don’t understand what’s so funny so you just sit there waiting for him to continue. Tears prickle his eyes when he finally looks at you with an amused grin. “I asked you out on a date and you thought it’s just another study session.”

Being dumbfounded is an understatement.

“Huh?”

“I asked you to wear warm clothes because I want to go ice skating with you. And the only reason why I didn’t scold you for not wearing gloves is because I want to hold your hand. I brought you here because this shop has misletoes. I planned the whole setting,” he explains cheerfully, not at all offended by your obliviousness.

“Really? Is this a date?” It feels like a dream, he can’t be real. It’s too good to be true.

“If you’d like it to be,” he nods taking your cold hands into his warm ones to prove you it’s real, this is really happening.

You don’t hesitate before you answer with a wide smile:

“I’d love to.”


Minah was right: Taehyung is the perfect guy for you. Thanks to him, you nailed your History exam and get yourself an amazing and loving boyfriend even before college. You feel like the luckiest girl in the world. And it all started with a study date.