episode 02

Butterfly

Before Yuna knew it, half a day of school was already over and it was time for lunch.

She hurriedly scribbled on her notes while attempting to stand up to greet their teacher, her back bent as she tried her best to finish the last of her sentences.

Then, just as every other day, she was going to hurry off right after the teacher had left the classroom. However, she was stopped by Seokmin.

"Yuna ssi, where do you usually go during lunch?" his question startled her, and she froze in her actions. She hadn't expected it- she had never expect him to be talking to her apart from necessary conversations that had the sole purpose of their studies. She was merely immersed in her own world this whole time, a new tenth-grader trying hard to get used to high school life.

"I go for practice," her answer was prompt, clearly stating that she was in a hurry, although she did not mean to vex him.

"I just... Wonder where you always hurry off to," Seokmin scratched the back of his head as he explained himself.

"I see," Yuna's response was half-hearted, whilst stuffing her back with the books and stationery that was all over her desk. Not waiting for Seokmin to speak any further, she immediately walked off in hastened steps, making her way for the canteen.

As she rushes down the stairs she recalls the conversation she has had with her table partner, causing guilt to pile up in her heart. Had she sounded to cold? She her lips in puzzlement and decided to shake the thought away. She hastily proceeded on her daily routine to lunch practice.

It might be because she had gotten used to the way to the canteen, to get her lunch then make her way to the music room, that she was finally on time. That day, Yuna was the one waiting for Yein instead of the other way round.

"Sorry Choi Yuna ssi, I was let off a little later," Yein was panting.

"It's okay, let's go in," Yuna only smiled and did not show any sign of resentment.

Yein smiled widely in return and nodded his head, bringing much warmth to Yuna's heart.

Maybe it was his smiles that made her look forward to lunch practice every day, a thought crosses the back of her mind.

She halted her train of thoughts for a moment, stunned.

What?

Yuna shook the thought away, confused and unable to process it. It was the second time her mind was playing tricks with her that day, teasing her with her emotions that she herself couldn't understand. She sighed, hoping that it would be the last.

 

 

 

Two weeks passed, and yet Yuna was still unable to get any friends. Yuna thought she was really going to be a loner in high school, until this very incident.

There was this tiny girl sitting alone at the basketball court and while Yuna still had time as lunch practice ended a little earlier she decided to go up and speak to her.

Yuna didn't know what made her do this, but something about her had caught her attention, and she was intrigued to find out about her.

It was extremely awkward at first, when both of them sat with a metre-long gap between them with nothing they knew they should be saying.

"You're Choi Yuna ssi, right?" the girl had started the conversation before Yuna could.

"A-Ah, you know me?" Yuna brought a hand to as she replied, her teeth chattering in anxiety.

"The choir's new star. Of course I know," her voice was somewhat cold.

"A-ah, you're in the choir too?" Yuna tried her best with the conversation. Somehow she could not stop the jitters she was feeling and hence the stammering.

"You don't know? I'm actually in your section," the girl raised an eyebrow and began to talk in an accusing tone. "Sort of, I'm in Soprano two," she later added, her tone softening.

"I see, I'm in Soprano one," Yuna calmed herself down to respond.

"I know!" the girl snapped, which startled Yuna. "Everyone knows," she mumbled next.

"I-Is that so?" Yuna's face grew even redder than before due to the embarrassment from her constant stammering.

The girl finally looked up and turned to her. Yuna was taken aback by the cold look on her face, as well as the fact that she was finally looking at her, therefore almost falling off the bench.

"I'm sorry, I think I was a little rude," the girl scratched her head in a somewhat cute manner as she apologised, "I'm Jung Eunbi, nice to meet you," she stretched out a hand and flashes a shy smile.

"Nice to meet you too!" Yuna excitedly reciprocated the handshake, having made her first friend in school.

"So, Choi Yuna ssi, what class are you in?" Eunbi asked next.

"Class 1-2, you?" Yuna slowly loosened up the tension she had held within her as the ice between them slowly began to melt.

"Class 1-4," Eunbi answered. The two then fell into an awkward silence, but luckily they are saved by the bell.

"Hope to see you soon again!" Yuna stood up and said, after some pondering.

"Ne, Yuna ssi, are we friends?" Eunbi asked another question as a response.

Yuna was stunned for a second, before the gape on her lips broke into a smile. "Friends, Eunbi ssi!" she enthusiastically replied and nodded her head.

"Eunbi will do," the girl smiled warmly and replied, "See you soon Yuna yah!"

Yuna could only smile even more as she waved back at Eunbi who was running off whilst waving to her.

Yuna then proceeded back to class and lessons resumed. She was expecting everything to go on as usual, apart from a new person being on her mind, until she was unexpectedly spoken to at the end of every single lesson.

It was Lee Seokmin, the boy that sat next to her. Yuna first found it odd, because they had never really spoken much for her two weeks in school. She believes that they had spoken more in the past two hours instead.

However, it wasn't that she didn't like it either. Somehow, it warmed her heart. They started to know more about each other, like their club activities and how far they lived away from school. 

Yuna's day in school seemed to get by at a quicker pace when they shared conversations to occupy each other from the boredom of lessons. Without knowing it, it was the end of school.

"Ne Yuna ssi," startled to hear him call her solely by her name, Yuna gasped.

The smile on Seoknim's face dropped by a little. "I can call you that right? Or is that too rude-" he scratched his head as he tried to apologised, much flustered by Yuna's reaction.

"No it's okay, I'm fine with it," Yuna waved her hands to express her thoughts. Seoknim's smile returned, and so did Yuna.

As Yuna made her way to the music room for her club activity session that day, she couldn't help but feel her heart flutter as she recalled how in just one day, two people had begun calling her by her first name. 

 

 

 

Yuna couldn't believe it; it was already the week of the annual performance. Day by day the anxiety in her heart grew, paralled with the anticipation.

But while the week had arrived, Yuna had finally gotten the chance to experience lunchtime like a normal student.

"Choi Yuna ssi!" Yein's face brightened as he called out for Yuna.

Yuna cluelessly turned around. "Ah Yein sunbaenim, annyeonghaseyo," she bowed while saying her greeting. "I thought lunch practices are cancelled this week?" Yuna asked, tilting her head in confusion.

Yein's heart fluttered at Yuna's unconsciously cute gesture. "I was just wondering if you-"

"Yuna ssi!" Yein was stopped by a loud voice calling for her, that had successfully taken away her attention from him.

"Let's go find seongsaengnim first," a tall tenth-grader walked by and told Yuna.

"Okay," Yuna nodded her head with a smile, before giving Yein a small wave of goodbye and walking away with the tall boy.

"... Would mind eating lunch together," he finished his sentence in mutters under his breath, his eyes on the back of Yuna's figure slowly leaving him.

His breath paused. That boy calls her solely by her name.

He tried not to think too much into it; they might just be friends. Nevertheless, a little envy starts to grow in him because heck, he wasn't even friends with Yuna, and Yuna only saw him as a senior.

 


 

FINALLY I'VE UPDATED THIS WHOOO I'm sooooooo sorry for the long wait! This fic hasn't really been on my mind (I'm sorry oops) because I've been all over Yuju and ShinB these days HAHHAHA well I only managed to update after getting some feels from watching the anime Kimi ni Todoke because KAZEHAYA AND SAWAKO ARE SOOOO DOKYEOM AND YUJU I DIED SO MANY TIMES so yes AHHAHA but it pains me how sometimes when I pictured the scenes whilst writing this the anime characters appeared in my mind instead of Yuju and Dokyeom ahhhh sighssss it's saddening :((( but it's okay I guess hahaha

My writing has been getting really bad so I'll apologise... Sincerely... I hope it's still readable... 

Continue to show support and hehe comments would be lovely~ Follow me on twitter @corinneniix for occasional spoilers and lots of fangirling HAHAHHA