episode 01

Butterfly

Seventeen-year-old Yuna entered high school innocently wishing only for one thing: pleasant memories to keep.

Perhaps she was also wise enough not to wish for a smooth journey ahead, yet the over-excitement of entering the peak of her youth had her overlook the eventfulness ahead of her. She did not expect- she was not aware that it could be possible, for her to not be able to treasure the time she had, to live in the moment.

It all started when the school choir held an audition for the new tenth-graders. She was immediately placed first on the list, automatically securing a spot in the choir- furthermore gaining the special attention of the seniors and especially the choir conductor.

More than that, she was immediately chosen to be the female voice for a duet that was supposed to be presented at the school's annual performance that year, as the choir's usual female soloist was down with an injured knee. She had to work doubly hard, for the performance was just in three weeks' time. What added on to the pressure was that, new tenth-graders were never allowed to perform at their first year in the choir; she was an exception.

Although the honour was huge for her, she had no time to embrace it because along with it came the stress.

 

 

 

Her duet partner was a twelfth-grader, the tenor's shiest kid. It didn't help that Yuna was a very awkward person as well. So the first session started out with only minimal conversation like "let's start from here" and "can we slow down" with the conductor as the mediator, apart from the initial "hello"s and final "goodbye"s that were necessary greetings in a society like Korea's.

He was Seon Yein, a quiet boy who was two years elder than Yuna but just as respectful. He had kind smiles that warmed Yuna's heart, and an even kinder voice that made her heart flutter. As much as Yuna was a gentle girl, he as well, was a very gentle person.

Yuna found herself to be very stiff and self-conscious, to sing in the presence of the conductor she had barely ever met as well as Yein, because he was a senior of two years, also part of the eldest batch in the school. 

The twelfth-grader spoke very little, and Yuna didn't much either. However, as they sang with each gaze they took at each other he was full of smiles.  Those smiles, to Yuna, were enough for communication. Those smiles were warm enough to melt the ice between them, for Yuna to begin returning those smiles as well.

 

 

 

Yuna's life in high school seemed to be eventful on the surface, yet the quiet girl would not talk enough for a livelier experience in school. As such, she barely got any friends in her class; she never talked to anyone, even her table partner. All she ever did, was bow and force minute smiles.

Her table partner, was a boy called Lee Seokmin. He stood about half a head taller than her, a very awkward boy, constantly frozen in panic due to the awkwardness of the situation he is in. (What Yuna didn't realise was,) He was exactly the same as Yuna. Sometimes, Yuna would lament about how he was so quiet and introverted, just like herself, and would wish for a more jovial table partner so as to lessen the burden of awkwardness she was constantly carrying. 

Yuna only realised later on that Seokmin only made friends with boys, and was actually a noisy and energetic person. She once saw Seokmin playing around with the other classmates and creating a ruckus in the classroom. Boys, she thought to herself as she chuckled inwardly, before feeling dismayed that he couldn't be like this beside her but instead made lessons awkward and uncomfortable as a table-partner (though Yuna thought it shouldn't be a problem because they ought to be paying attention in class anyway). 

On the third day of school an assignment is thrown to them, and the students are to complete it in their pairs by the weekend.

Sighing at the instructions, Yuna's knuckles were wide as she tightly gripped onto the paper, beads of sweat forming on her forehead as she evaluated on how they should begin.

Neither of them knew, but Seokmin was doing the exact same thing.

It took the two of them at least sixty seconds (Yuna was quite sure of the duration, for the musician in her could count the seconds in fours), before Seokmin decided to take an initiative to break the ice- only by a small, faked cough.

Yuna turned to look at him, and for the first time, they looked into each other's eyes.

"Let's begin, shall we?"

 

 

 

Yuna watched as her teacher walked out of the classroom, having greeted her after the lunch bell rang. Immediately she made her way down to the canteen, hastily took a tray of food and walks off to the music room. It was her first time practising during lunch periods, something she was unprepared for when joining the club activity she always thought of as a dream.

"Yein sunbaenim! I'm sorry I'm late-" Yuna rushed in and bowed in apology, having noticed the pair of shoes already placed on the racks outside of the music room. However, she was stopped once again by Yein's smile.

"It's okay," he laughed, "I've just arrived as well."

Yuna merely nodded before over to join him at the table, placing her tray of food down and getting a small bite before the practice began.

Without the presence of the choir conductor, Yuna began to feel more at ease, despite the lingering tension between the two singers.

"You're better today," he suddenly spoke after singing the song once through, "I guess it's because Kim seongsaengnim isn't around?"

The both of them released awkward laughter, but the atmosphere felt lighter for Yuna.

"Thank you," she smiled, although not looking into his eyes.

"You have a wonderful voice," Yein continued the conversation.

The compliment was a pleasant surprise for Yuna, albeit it made her heart race. "S-Sunbaenim, your voice is amazing too," unknowingly, she stuttered.

Yein only laughed and shook his head, but even the simple action made Yuna smile.

Silence soon enveloped them once again. Yein then suggested that they practise the song once more before continuing with lunch.

Hearing the bell that signalled the end of lunch, Yuna and Yein ended the session and began heading out. As Yuna slipped her shoes back on, a thought crossed her mind that she could go on every day with lunch practices like this.

 

 

 

Seokmin and Yuna had come to a consensus to stay back in school in the evening to complete their project as quickly as possible. Yet, the boy was obviously running late as it was already five minutes past the time promised. Yuna slowly began to feel anxious as she waited alone in the classroom, seeing her classmates leave one by one. 

She was about to release her tenth sigh when a loud thud at the door shocked her. Greeted by a panting Seokmin who was clutching the side of the door, she stood up and gave a small bow. 

He smiled, "Sorry, dance practice ended late." Yuna noticed his eyes turning into crescents as he chuckled. 

Both were shocked to hear Seokmin laugh, because just that morning they still needed significant amounts of effort to start talking to each other, but they soon dismissed the (common) thought as they did not have time to talk about it. 

"So, where was the task sheet? Did you take it?" Yuna responds readily to his question by digging through her file for it, finding it fast and they began their discussion on the topic. 

"Do you want to write?" Yuna stopped herself as she picked a pen up, enquiring out of courtesy. 

"It's okay, you can write if you want," Seokmin's reply wasn't of any help either, so Yuna proceeded to pen down their discussion into words.

"You write so neatly," Seokmin casually commented in between listing out possible answers for the questions.

Heading that, Yuna's hand stopped. "Not really," she humbly replied and laughed for a few seconds, while he followed suit. However, they almost immediately got back to getting work done. Their efforts managed to help them complete within twenty-five minutes. 

Having finished their project quickly yet while ensuring the standard was there, both were filled with relief when they knew they could finally go home. 

As Yuna stood up and packed her bag, she realised that sitting beside Seokmin wasn't really a bad thing after all. 

 


 

 

So... Here is the first chapter. I'm quite shocked about how I can update this just twenty-four hours later, but please, don't expect quick updates HAHAHA I'm a really slow writer. I haven't written in ages so this standard is a little... Uh. Please bear with my bad writing... Ehehe

Anyway... How do you find this story? Ahaha second-lead syndrome anyone? Tbh I don't even know who's first lead and who's second, I haven't even thought of who she would end up with- I might even pull a You Are the Apple of My Eye (you know that Taiwan movie?) and make Yuju end up with neither of them HAHAHA I really don't know. 

Please continue to show support for my fic... Comments are lovely! Hehe. Follow me on twitter @corinneniix for occasional spoilers and lots of fangirling~