A year ago

Regrets

A year ago.

 

"Hm...I wonder how Chenny is doing, he must be angry on me for not sending him any letters...or sad, but damn I can't leave yet...I even talked to my manager but he wouldn't let me. This isn't quite fair, why do I feel like I'm being trapped here?"

 

Kim Minseok was walking on an endless street. Directionless, but with piles of scribbled thoughts.

The warm coffee in his hand gradually turned cool, so he threw it with a sigh.

The memories he was recollecting were jumbling with the stress he was having of performing live in front of millions of people.

It was after all, his first time.

"Jongdae must be having a hard time without me right...or not. He might have already learned to live his life."

Glancing around aimlessly, he suddenly stopped in his tracks and tilted his head.

"Center for learning sign language."

Minseok's eyes shot open in bewilderment.

It was somehow perfect.

A perfect gift Minseok could give to his Chenny, as an apology and also as a surprise.

Albeit he had learned the basics of sign language with Jongdae, he wanted to become a professional in it so that talking with him would be much easier.

Before he realized it, he found himself crossing the road.

 

 

--

 

Park Chanyeol was the teacher, but his main occupation was known by ladies and gents alike. He was the famous son of the CEO of Korea's top bank and a multimillionaire Park Minwoo.

A hobby, passion and a bit of helping nature had made Chanyeol open the center for all those who wanted to communicate with the voiceless.

Upon seeing Minseok determined to learn for Jongdae, Park Chanyeol taught him eagerly as well than the rest of the students.

Soon after, they became close friends. So close that Chanyeol would drop by Minseok apartment for a week or more to spend time with him.

 

Months passed and Minseok had learned all he had to learn from his teacher.

He was now confident in his sign language and remembered the gestures Jongdae made when he said that he had to catch the train before it leaves. Now he understood what he meant.

 

Minseok once told Chanyeol about his voiceless friend Jongdae.

"Chan, in case...just in case alright, if anything happens to me-would you go to my friend and inform him about me?"

"Sure." Chanyeol nodded. "But why do you think anything will happen to you?"

"I don't know...just a feeling." He said.

 

On a winter day, when Jongdae was asleep on his bed, Chanyeol called him saying that it was urgent, that he wasn't feeling well and that he felt like he was going to die.

Quickly, Minseok grabbed his car keys and coat and hurried to Chan's place.

Chanyeols voice was deeper than usual and the fact that anything would happen to him made him feel nauseous. Made him frightened.

He sped up, and he was speeding and he was distracted by something on his mind which made him ignore the traffic signal.

It was still on the red light.

It happened all so suddenly.

The death of Kim Minseok.

His last words weren't heard by anyone but the droplets of water falling on the damp grass.

A tragedy.

A piece of a picture torn from Jongdaes album because of Park Chanyeols little lie.

He just wanted to surprise him since it was Minseok's 26th birthday.

But in return, he got the dreadful surprise.

 

Months passed again, like nothing but a cat passing by.

Park Chanyeol had completed his teaching and was ready to move back to Seoul, however, the guilt, the regret, the loathing for himself for doing such an imbecile thing made him rethink his trip.

"Was it right to leave the grave of  Minseok in a cemetery only Chanyeol knew about?"

Not at all.

He wanted to pay for what he broke.

Stitch for what was torn.

 

And then he remembered, those words of Kim Minseok.

Still as fresh as the daisies in his backyard.

"Chan, in case...just in case alright, if anything happens to me-would you go to my friend and inform him about me?"