Chapter one

I'm better off blind

Do Kyungsoo and Byun Baekhyun, best friends since middle-school, would give their life for each other, live with each other and vowed to be each other’s side forever.

 

But, Kyungsoo was blind since birth and Baekhyun was his eyes.

 

“On the left is the tiny fruit shop which has the tastiest mango’s I have ever eaten, and on the right is a weird antique shop. There’s a rumor that there lives a fortune teller who could see someone else’s future, though not the type with electrical globes or such.” Baekhyun chuckled.

 

He held Kyungsoo’s hand as they both walked together in a busy street. Informing what all he was seeing; be it a cat passing by or a man throwing his coffee cup in the dustbin.

 

He wanted Kyungsoo to see what he was seeing, experience the view by hearing.

 

“-And here we are, to our usual spot.” Baekhyun carefully made him sit on the bench and sat beside him.

 

The reason why Kyungsoo never holds a stick was because he himself didn’t want to be called or seen as a blind man. He was happy with Baekhyun making him see the world around him, and as a matter of fact, he had gotten used to it.

 

According to Baekhyun’s description of the shops, he could feel himself looking right at it.

 

“Do, you know what tomorrow is right?” Baekhyun asked.

 

“Baek how many times do I need to tell you, I don’t want to do it.”

 

“But you have to, I can’t always be around you, you know that don’t you.”

 

“It’s okay, I can still take care of my-.”

 

“And how will you do that?”

 

“Somehow…I will just wait for you to come back.”

 

“Do…” Baekhyun sighed. “Please…he’s a good doctor and you need to do it. You can’t stay blind forever, when you have the chance to get something you had always wanted, please grasp it, don’t let go of it or else one day you will regret it.”

 

Kyungsoo kept silent. He was contemplating, whether he should get new eyes, whether he should start seeing the world on his own rather than his best friends help, but as the same he was afraid.

 

Afraid of something he couldn’t put his finger on.

 

“I beg you Kyungsoo…Do it. For me. For you. For us.”

 

“For us” was the word Kyungsoo had always heard from Baekhyun, “For us” was a commitment, a promise.

 

Slowly, he placed his hesitant hands on Baekhyun and tried to smile, at least.

 

“Alright…I will do it.”

 

“You will?”

 

“For me, for you, for us.”

 

Baekhyun chuckled and intertwined his hands with Kyungsoo’s.

 

“Thank you. Thank you so much for agreeing onto-.”

 

A sound, sharp and terrifying to Kyungsoo was heard as Baek’s words vanished into thin air and for a moment, the world became noiseless.

 

The cars honking, the baker screaming to take his freshly baked bread, the newspaper kid yelling the breaking-news and the chattering of people had all sunk in deep water.

 

There came another similar sound, this time more than once. Frightened of the unseen, Kyungsoo held Baekhyun’s hand even tighter. His heart beat gradually speeding up for an unknown reason, and his palms forming perspiration.

 

“What is it Baek?” Kyungsoo asked in a breathless tone.

 

Ever heard of gut feeling? The feeling when the stomach turns, and when your hands and knees freeze in place knowing that something bad might take place, this was exactly how Kyungsoo was feeling.

 

“It’s nothing...” Baekhyun slowly let go of the latter’s hand. “Kyungsoo, wait here. I will be right back.”

 

“No!” He quickly grabbed his hand, bony fingers touched the soft, long fingers. “Don’t.”

 

“I’m just gonna check what’s going on alright, wait for-.”

 

Once more the sound emitted and Baekhyun’s knees brushed onto Kyungsoo’s. His footsteps disappearing as he ran to a place Kyungsoo was veiled of.

 

“Baek…” The sound of people clicking their heels quicker, gasping for lost air and dogs barking horrified him.

He waited in a state of restlessness, his hand rapidly tapping his right thigh and his breathing getting heavier by each milli-second.

Kyungsoo was hoping, hard and fast that Baekhyun would be back soon and they will go back home.

 

However, more and more footsteps passed, but there was no sign of Byun Baekhyun.

His heart cringed, his hopes were shattering, and his mind began to think all sorts of scary things.

 

A couple of minutes later, as Kyungsoo was still hanging onto the ledge of the cliff, hoping that Baekhyun would save him, he heard the sound of an ambulance, and a police siren.

 

"BAEKHYUN!" Kyungsoo shouted as loudly as he could. "BYUN BAEK WHERE ARE YOU!?"

And though he tried to held back his tears, fear didn't let him.

He grasped the bench handle tightly, so much as hurting his palms, but he could care less.

Baekhyun wasn't coming, and Kyungsoo didn't know the way home.

 

"DO!"

Kyungsoo jolted from his seat and turned to the direction of the voice.

"Sorry to make you worry!" He breathed heavily.

"Where have you been?! I got so scared..." His voice cracked into bits and pieces.

"I'm sorry, there were these goons who were trying to snatch a old lady's purse, and a couple of people were trying to tackle them so they got hurt. Fortunately, somebody had called the police and the ambulance so there's no need to worry now." Baekhyun wheezed, and Kyungsoo felt his soft, long fingers wipe his fear away.

 

"I-I was really scared...I thought something might have happened to you-."

"Do your over-exaggerating now, I'm back aren't I and I also said I'm sorry, so lets go back home cause I'm damn hungry."

Baekhyun held Kyungsoo's hand and they both began walking to their home.

Their walk back home was filled with talks, chuckles, and street lamps.

 

When the hour of the dead arrived, when the moon was nigh, Kyungsoo and Baekhyun shared a hug.

Not the "I love you hug" or "Take care hug" but the "Good luck for tomorrow's eye transplant hug".

Kyungsoo had finally raised the flag and Baekhyun was more than over-joyed.

 

A memory of the past were told before they slept, a dream of the future were spoken and the hopes of tomorrow were hidden behind cloaked eyes and cheerful smiles.