Five

Plastic Bottles and Transparent Hearts
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter Five: Whisking Eggs and Princesses

Miya’s apartment was bursting with a cacophony of popping corn, clattering dishes, and Friends in the background. While Mari was setting up the food Miya had brought home from work, Miya clambered her way around the kitchen, rushing to grab drinks before the timer on the microwave hit zero.

“Girl, why do you always rush like the world’s ending when you use the microwave?” called Mari over towards her friend.

“That’s the rule! Try to get as many things done before the time runs out!” Miya shouts back just as the microwave shrieked in three loud intervals.

“And there we go, popcorn and soda - a perfect pair to our late night snacks.” Miya graciously motioned towards the table filled with food after setting down the hot bag of popcorn and drinks.

Settling into their usual positions on the couch, the two girls tucked in as a comfortable silence settled between the both of them. Eyes glued to the TV, Miya and Mari became so engrossed in eating and Friends that two episodes had passed before Mari spoke up.

“Tae and I hooked up yesterday.”

Dropping the chicken in her hand, Miya turned to her best friend with wide eyes, “No way. What else happened? Did you guys talk? How could you wait until now to tell me? Tell me everything!”

Embarrassed, Mari shrugged, “One question at a time, okay? Basically - after you, Minjun and Jimin left for the bar, Tae and I went to go dancing. It was completely normal and we were just having a good time. Then, one of the guys Tae invited to the pre-game started grinding on me and next thing I knew, Tae was behind me. I didn’t really mind since we were both pretty drunk at that point, but one thing led to another and...next thing I knew we were in his room.”

“There’s more. Continue! What happened next?”

Mari blushed, “Well...you know...things. Anyway, it’s not like we went all the way or anything but we ended up talking all night afterwards and when the sun rose we got breakfast together and that’s when I texted you.”

Trying to process all the information she just heard, Miya hesitantly questioned, “so...what are you guys now?”

“Dating? I think? I mean, we agreed to give it some time before we make anything official, but we’ve gotten so close from classes already and it’s not like we’re not attracted to each other you know- ”

Mari was interrupted with a high pitched squeal as Miya brought her friend in for a tight hug.

“Oh my god, I am so happy for you! I always thought you guys were good for each other and I can’t believe this is happening oh my gosh! My best friends are dating!”

Grinning back at Miya, Mari proceeded to fill her in on the rest of the details of her night - from how Taehyung admitted he was jealous whenever his friends would try to make passes at her, how great the kissing was, to their plan to take things one step at a time. The rest of the sleepover passed with lots of squeeing, giggling, and gossiping. Miya had briefly mentioned Jimin’s confession, but had glossed over it seeing as her friend was ecstatic over her new relationship and didn’t want to take away from her excitement.

The next morning, Miya was greeted with a text from Jimin. “Good morning, Princess! Hope you like your new nickname because the next time I get my hands on your phone, I’m renaming myself “Your Prince”. I heard the good news from Taehyungie, and I’m pretty sure he’s on the way to pick Mari up right now - better wake her up before he gets there! But onto something more important. I know you don’t have work today so I’m picking you up at 1 and be prepared for the best date of your life! See you soon, Princess.”

Face lighting up, Miya quickly stuffed her head back into her pillow. Groaning, she thought, Ughhhhh why is Jimin so cheesy? I feel like I could die from the secondhand embarrassment. Unable to keep herself from smiling, she drafted a quick response text, “I swear to God you’ve gotten worse. See you soon...knave. You gotta work your way up to “Prince!”

Nudging the bundle of blankets next to her with her foot, Miya softly called out, “Mari~ Wake up~ Tae’s picking you up soon.” When she garnered no response, she hovered over Mari’s sleeping body and shouted, “TAE’S HERE!” before retreating away quickly.

Miya was barely able to dodge Mari’s head shooting up, hair flying everywhere. Bewildered, Mari moved her head around trying to make sense of her surroundings before grunting out, “What? Where? It’s too early for this.”

Chuckling at her groggy friend, Miya gently replied, “Jimin just messaged me. Tae’s coming to pick you up soon. Probably for a date...?”

Rubbing the sleep out of her eyes, Mari groaned, “Ugh, I knew I shouldn’t have stayed up two nights in a row.” Reaching out her arms, Mari aimed her eyes up at Miya, who was already starting to get ready for the day.

“Help me up, please?”

Rolling her eyes, Miya tugged on Mari’s arms and ushered her to the bathroom with a slap to the .

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter