Two

Plastic Bottles and Transparent Hearts
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 2: Mystery Girls and Drinks

Greeting her manager with a bow, Miya swiftly entered the kitchen area while tying her apron back around her waist. She was welcomed by Jimin, who was preparing to take out a tray of water and tea, and instantly grabbed another empty tray to transfer some cups from his tray to hers.

The server station was tiny compared to the rest of the kitchen with the ice machine packed in next to the soda machine. The walls were filled with shelves that contained sauces and assorted dishes while the cups, trays, and other utensils were tightly organized next to the refrigerator holding all the side dishes. It was a miracle more than three people could fit in the tiny space at once, especially when the restaurant was busy and all the servers would scramble for their drinks, utensils, and side dishes.

“Let me help you bring this out! Which table is this for?” Miya offered Jimin.

“It’s okay, Miya, I got this. Uhm, why don’t you help me setup my banchan? I have a party of eight, but I have it under control.” Jimin replied, although he was obviously stressed out as he realigned his drinks again and again.

“Jimin, relax. I’m helping you out no matter what you say. Now, which table is it?” Miya insisted, while taking the tray from Jimin and setting it down.

“Miya, I’m fine, I promise! Can you please just help me setup my side dishes? And maybe you can check up on my tables after too, please?”

Miya was caught off guard from Jimin’s insistence when it was blatant he was in a rush to get things under control again. Usually, Jimin would never deny help from Miya if it meant that he could get to talk and spend time with her while working. Suspicious from Jimin’s odd behavior, Miya was sure something happened while she was outside on break.

“Okay, Jimin, spill. I know you’re hiding something so tell me - who is at this table of yours and why don’t you want me to see them?” Miya gave Jimin a pointed look while she blocked his path leaving the server station.

Sighing, Jimin reluctantly gave up the information, “Fine. Jungkook is at table 43 with a bunch of his classmates.”

Surprised to hear Jungkook’s name, Miya’s eyes shot up and brightened before she quickly gathered herself. “See? It wasn’t so hard to tell me, right? And why wouldn’t you want me to see Jungkook? We’re friends too, remember? I bet he’d be happy t-”

“He’s flirting with the girl he’s sitting next to and they’re going on a separate date after dinner to see a movie late and I’m sorry I wanted to hide it from you so you wouldn’t get hurt but I hate lying and I am so bad at pretending in front of you but I really didn’t want you to see him acting all lovey dovey and-”

“Woah, woah. Jimin, chill. I’m alright. It’s no big deal, it’s okay. We’re at work, and I’m just a coworker - okay no, friend - and I’m going to help you deliver your drinks and side dishes before I start taking tables again, okay?” Miya’s expression softened and had a slightly disappointed look despite her smile.

Jimin sighed at Miya’s reaction and picked up his tray and handed it to her. “Thanks for the help, Mi-mi. I’ll deliver the stuff to Jungkook’s side of the table and you can do the other half, okay? You don’t even have to talk.”

Plastering her server smile on, Miya recovered and replied, “Don’t you worry about me, Minnie. Let’s just be our usual cheerful selves and get you that tip. Work that charm of yours!”

As Jimin and Miya approached Jungkook’s table, the giggles and laughter got louder. Sitting next to Jungkook was a petite girl wearing a pale chiffon blouse and a brown buttoned skirt. She was leaning over to whisper something in Jungkook’s ear when Jimin nudged Miya with his elbow and motioned her to walk to the other end of the table. Shooting Jimin a grateful look, Miya looked down and focused on smiling and placing all the drinks evenly on the table.

Not certain if Jungkook had even noticed her, Miya quickly emptied the contents of her tray, bowed, and scurried away as Jimin made light conversation with Jungkook and the rest of the guests. If she had looked behind a few moments after, she would have noticed Jungkook’s eyes following her in his peripheral vision before snapping his attention back to the table.

Safely back in the server station, Miya straightened herself out once again and offered herself comforting words to help her get through the rest of the night. Just keep running on forward, Miya. There’s only a couple more hours left of the shift and you can go back home and sleep. There’s no need to think about that table, you have plenty of tables in the front as well. Keep on smiling, Miya! Clapping her hands on her face a couple times, Miya set out with a smile with the mentality to finish out the night strong.

Luckily for Miya, the restaurant received a huge rush after she came out of the server station which kept her so busy that she couldn’t even converse with Jimin for more than a few words in passing. As the clocked ticked closer to closing time, Miya handed her last check to her table of two and bid them a good night.

“Take care, and have a good night! Thank you again!” Miya exclaimed with a bow as her last table exited the restaurant. From the noise in the backroom, Miya could tell Jimin still had one or two more tables, so she decided to quickly clean up her section in order to help Jimin close as well. As she peeked into the back portion of the restaurant, she saw that Jungkook was still there with his date although a couple people were missing from the table. Jimin tapped on her shoulder and waved her towards the server station.

“Some of them left about twenty minutes ago, but the rest of them are kind of drunk so I think Jungkook is taking care of them until their other friends come get them. I’m not sure if he’s still going to go out with mystery girl over there, but you don’t have to stay and help me close, Mi-mi. You should go home and get some rest.” Jimin sent Miya a sympathetic expression as she tried to look at Jimin’s table from the server station.

“It’s alright Minnie, I’m already done closing my section so I’ll just clock out and wait for you in the front bar, alright? We can grab some street food on the way home.” Miya insisted.

“Are you sure you want to wait? I don’t know how much longer they’ll be, and I don’t want you to have another run in with Jungkook if you don’t have to.”

“Please, silly. I’m fine, see? I’ve been in a smiley mood all night and I did pretty well in tips today. Jungkook can’t mess up my mood so easily like that.”

“Alright, then...if you’re sure. I’ll come get you when they leave so we can finish up together. While you’re waiting, why don’t you make yourself a drink on me? It’s the least I can do if you’re going to wait up to help me.”

“Fine, fine. It’s been a lon

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter