A Reason

What do you say?

"Do you want ice cream?"

It was a bright day to be out and about. Jessica and Sooyoung were in a grocery store to fill in the Chois' fridge. It was cool inside the store, but once they're out of there summer heat would greet them.

"I can never say no, Soo."

Jessica looked up at the tall girl and grinned. She was ready to go to the frozen treats section, but a hand grabbed hers to stop. She looked back confusedly.

"I don't mean here, but at the usual ice cream parlor. What do you say?"

Jessica squealed in excitement and dragged the other girl toward the cashier in hurried steps. Sooyoung just laughed at the sight.

"Hey, slow down! I have a trolley with me!"

 

---

 

 "Mmmm I've missed this so much!"

Jessica said with a smile as she her spoon. Sooyoung gave her a grin.

"I know, right? It's been so long since we've been here together." 

A somewhat awkward silence grew in the air. They never really talked about the past again after the night in Sooyoung's room, some weeks ago. 

Jessica visited the Chois' house from time to time when she had the free time from work and the two would sometime hang out inside or outside the house. Sooyoung also had gone back to work, so they mostly hang out on weekends.

There would be a little moment of uncomfortable silence around them, but they shrugged it off to avoid the talk. It's as if they had a silent agreement to just enjoy the moment and to not worry about anything else. Even though they knew that deep down, they're really bugged to talk about it. To talk about what direction they're going to take.

 "Okay, the one who finished their ice cream last will pay for our dinner later!"

Jessica was caught off guard as Sooyoung gobbled down a big scoop of the frozen sweet into . 

And of course, a brain freeze would attack.

"Ouch!"

Sooyoung yelped and held her head in pain. Jessica guffawed in glee at the sight in front of her and kicked the tall leg under their table playfully.

 

"You stupid!"

 

---

 

 "Sooyoung." 

A nudge to her side.

"Hm?"

"Sooyoung."

Another nudge to her side

"Hmm?"

"Sooyoung!"

A hard kick to her side.

"AH! WHAT?!"

The sleeping girl was wide awake with a glare by the kick she received. She removed her cap that was on top of her face and she sat up with a grunt and glare again to the cute smile on her right. She's soften up immediately. Damn it, kitten face.

"What?"

"Buy me cup ramyun from the convenience store."

"What?!"

They were having a picnic by the Banpo Hangang Park on a lovely early autumn day. It was a way to relieve the stress from work on weekdays that week. The sun had started to go down and they were now chilling on a mat Sooyoung brought from home.

"Sica, we've rented bikes for us, you can go by yourself... It won't be tiring." 

Sooyoung sighed.

"I know, but I want you to go."

A grin Sooyoung was not sure to look at or to avoid was showing. This girl knows what card to play with.

"The money's on me! You can buy more for the two of us! How's it?"

Wiggling eyebrows taunted Sooyoung.

"And you're the one who dragged me out of my lovely bed to go here!"

Well... Sooyoung did.

"Okay, Princess."

She put her hand out to ask for the money. 

"You're the best, Syoung!"

 

---

 

While Sooyoung was away, Jessica pondered alone to think about what to do later. She wanted to approach the matter. She thought it was the time. She didn't think she could hold it out any longer. She needed to do it as soon as possible. 

 

Squeak

 

Jessica looked up by the brake sound to see Sooyoung had arrived with a plastic bag on the basket of the bike. She noticed the right hand was holding the handle and the left hand was holding a cup of ramyun. The tall girl got down from the bike carefully after ensuring the stand would hold the bike safely. She then took the plastic bag and walked to the waiting girl.

"Here's your ramyun and the change."

Sooyoung sat down beside Jessica and put everything in her hands down on the mat.

"You didn't spill anything on the way, did you?"

Jessica cheekily asked as she took the cup.

"No, Princess. It's all fine and dandy."

They laughed.

"What did you grab to eat?"

Sooyoung took the things inside the plastic bag out.

"These guys!"

Two sausages and two breads. There were still some food and drinks inside the plastic bag. Typical Sooyoung.

"Let's dig in, Princess!"

They ate the food in joy and eventually shared each other's food, enjoying the sun that had begun to set. The Banpo bridge not far from them started to light up its dancing fountain, creating a massive rainbow show in the city. Some people went near to the river to enjoy it. It was a serene atmosphere to relax.

As Sooyoung finished her food first, she took a jacket inside her ransel bag.

"Wear this."

She offered it to the girl beside her who turned to her with a thankful smile. Always the sweet Sooyoung.

"What about you?"

Jessica wore her jacket.

"I have mine here!"

She held up another jacket from the bag.

"I brought two, since I should be responsible for dragging the princess out of her castle."

Sooyoung stuck her tongue out.

"Sheesh, thank you."

A pair of narrowed eyes and followed by a sweet smile were shown in front of her. They sat side-to-side in silence and enjoying the breeze and the fountain show.

 

Somehow, Jessica casually leaned her head on Sooyoung's shoulder. Sooyoung, too, leaned her head on top of Jessica's head and put her arm on the other girl's shoulders.

It's just like the old times.

 

---

 

"Sica..." "Syoung..."

They simultaneously called each other and laughed.

"I'm first."

Sooyoung said and they chuckled. 

"Okay. What is it?"

Sooyoung turned her body to the right to face Jessica.

"I know you said to not mention it, but I'm really thankful for everything that you've done to cheer me up."

Jessica was about to say something, but Sooyoung beat her to it. The latter's face turned serious. 

"I'm also sorry that I want to be selfish one more time."

Jessica turned her body to face Sooyoung and tilted her head in confusion. 

"I don't think I've ever seen Dad crying in my whole life. But the day Mom passed away, he cried so hard. So hard. Like of course, we're all sad. But it's the first time I saw him broken down just like that. I cried in silence even more by looking at him. But he always implied in his words and action that he wanted to be alone."

Sooyoung felt a hand held her right hand. A sign to encourage her to continue. She looked to the river.

"Even after the funeral, he dealt with his own feelings alone. I had you by my side, but he didn't have anyone. I should've been by his side as well. But he wanted to be alone, that's why he asked a favor from you."

Sooyoung smiled sadly. Jessica held her hand tighter.

"He just lost the love of his life, but he didn't want any other presence in his lone chamber. Not even his daughter. He was so broken, but I didn't know how much different the loss he felt was from mine. I was broken too. But he's in an even more despair I couldn't imagine. Then I thought--"

The girl felt her tears coming out. She looked down to her lap.

"I thought that..." 

She bit her lip and calmed her breathing. Jessica was holding her own tears as well. She rubbed her thumb on the tall girl's knuckles.

"I thought that I don't ever want to lose you, Sica." I don't want to lose the love of my life.

Jessica couldn't say anything in response to that and just let a tear flowed down freely on her right cheek. Sooyoung wiped the tear with her free hand.

"I'm afraid."

She cupped the cheek in her hand. She continued with a trembling voice. 

"I'm afraid we would be getting further from each other and eventually would lose each other because of my foolish, selfish act in the past,"

Jessica touched the hand on her cheek. She could see how hard the girl in front of her tried not to let a tear go down from her eyes.

"And all I wanna do is just to be selfish. One last time."

She let her hand down from the smooth cheek.

"Actually..." 

Jessica finally uttered a word.

"The day after we broke up, I met Mom and..."

 

---

 

6 months ago

 

Jessica received a message from Sooyoung's mother to meet up in a cafe nearby the latter's house. So then there she was waiting on a table for two in that said cafe. Two hands were holding a cup of coffee. Another cup can be seen across from it.

 

Ding!

 

The sound of bell of the cafe's door indicating someone just came in. Jessica looked up and saw the woman she'd been waiting for had came. She waved a hand and smiled. The woman happily walked to her table and took a seat across from her.

They greeted each other with smiles. Jessica offered the other cup to the woman.

"Thank you, Jessica. Thank you for your time too."

"No problem, Mom." 

Jessica shook head.

"I'm just gonna be here for a short time, so I will get to the point. I've heard from Sooyoung..." 

The older woman took Jessica's hand to be held in between her two hands. Jessica looked surprised. She didn't expect the woman to know about that so soon.

"I said to her to go back to you, because I could see she's not exactly pleased with her own decision. She's been selfish to you. She said you agreed to it too and I don't know what's in your heads. But she's too stubborn and I let it go. I clearly didn't agree why it had to come to this." 

Jessica looked down in shame.

"But I really hope you can forgive her. She's lost."

The younger girl wanted to ask what happened actually, but she held herself. 

"I know how much you love each other, and it hurts me to see this situation. When she has come to her sense, I don't know how long it'd take, I hope... you can convince her back."

Jessica was speechless to hear that.

"That is of course, if the both of you haven't found someone else. I just want the best for the both of you, and you're the best for each other. But don't think of this as a pressure. I'm not forcing you, you can make your own decision. I just hope you will consider this in the future." 

The woman tapped the back of Jessica's hand lightly and smiled warmly. She let go of the hand and stood up.

"I need to go to my appointment now, and be careful on your trip, Jessica." 

"Mom..."

Jessica stood up as well.

"I will... consider it."

She gave a small smile to the older woman. Then she felt a soft touch on her head.

"One last thing, Jessica. I don't want the both of you to regret anything. You're both adults. And... Sooyoung just didn't want to bother you. I do too. Live happily."

"I'm sorry, to have upset you."

 

"You never do, Jessica."

 

---

 

Sooyoung couldn't hold the tears anymore. She looked down and sobbed hard. She really felt like a fool in front of everyone. She disappointed everyone. 

"That was the last memory I had of her. I still didn't understand anything back then. I stayed longer abroad for my project, by the excuse of wanting to spend more time with my family, since the meeting place was not that from home--well, I sure was happy I could did it with hem. But the next thing I knew, Dad informed me of Mom passing away and I just had to go back here.

"Then I thought I understand why you did that. You didn't want me to know about Mom. You wanted me to focus about my long-awaited project. I was grateful by the thought and care, but I wished I could be with Mom much longer... I never even knew she was sick in the first place. Your family was never a bother to me."

Jessica wiped her tears and continued.

"I would want to be with her for a longer time. I wouldn't mind to halt my project for her. But I guess..."

Sooyoung shook her head weakly.

"I can never say enough sorry to you. I was too selfish and stupid. I didn't consider your feelings that much."

"Don't say that... It was me who didn't fought hard for you, for us, either. I couldn't convince you hard enough. You also had too much going on in your mind. After all, Mom did say she didn't want us to regret."

Jessica moved a bit to take Sooyoung in her embrace to calm her down. When everyone else was smiling and laughing there, here they were in tears in each other's arms.

 

---

 

"Then... would you allow to be selfish again? I think Mom would be happy with my selfishness this time."

They had let go of the hug and calmed down. Sooyoung held Jessica's hands again, but with no tears in sight this time.

"Would you let me to go back to you? To us? I'm hoping there's no anyone else in your heart right now."

She was back to her playful self, but she was dead serious with her words. Jessica sniggered at the question.

"There's no one else."

They smiled at each other. The loving gaze in their eyes couldn't be denied by anything. 

"What about the other question?"

Sooyoung smirked confidently. Jessica had to bite her inner cheek to stop her lips from smiling any wider.

"I don't know if I'm capable of promising you anything, but I'll try hard to do things better than before. I'll try to not make the same mistake again."

She observed Jessica's reaction before continuing. 

"What do you say, Jessica?" 

She received nothing but a smaller body pounced onto hers with a pair of arms on her neck. It kinda hurt when her back landed quite hard on the picnic mat, but a giggling sound and a face in front of her made up for it.

 

Especially the pair of lips that were pressed onto hers.

 

 

 


 So, do you think they got back together?

 

 Also, this would be Banpo bridge I found on Google lol :)

I'd love to go there someday.

And wow, I'm surprised you subscribe to my story, thank you so much! I'd love to see what you think of it :D