Bus Station [One Shot]

Bus Station

Silence.

Whenever it’s the two of us, we just stay as what we are and where we are.

After all, Suho was the known son of the director of that university around town. The thing that sort of irks me is that he’s always by my side whenever I wait for the bus to arrive. I don’t know why, but it seems that he is always picked up by the bus stop.

Which is always with me.

He was a senior, I was a junior. It was a good thing that we weren’t the same level since it can stir some issues, especially towards the girls. They seem to be overprotective about his existence. They often comment how he’s a pure, gentle angel that will help them whatever the reason.

Heck, one time, he got a phone call and, guess what, he curses a lot, drags his driver around too. Where’s the angel image there?

It was 4:30 in the afternoon, and here we are again. As I pace back and forth while waiting for the bus, I sneaked a peek to look at him. Unexpectedly, he was looking at me. I drifted my attention towards the sound of the bus’ horn and lined up with the other passengers.

What’s worse is that, Suho was lined up, too, behind me. I could smell the expensive perfume and gradually got dizzy. I didn’t like perfumes at all.

“Hey, are you alright?”

I looked behind me, obviously startled, and I just nodded as an answer to his question. As we climbed inside the bus, I easily found a spot to sit, and recklessly slumped to the seat beside the window. Unfortunately, for me, it was a two-seater, which explains why I felt dizzy all the more when Suho sat beside me.

“Seriously,” he looked at me, “Are you okay?”

“I…yes, I am. But it’s your perfume. It’s too strong.” I replied. He immediately stood up and went out of my way. I looked at him, trying to say sorry, but he just smiled and understood.

Maybe, he is an angel.

-0-

Coincidence or not, it still irks me that Suho’s with me every day at the bus stop. It became a daily routine for him to commute, and even if he seemed a good senior, it bothered me too much.

Over-thinking, making my whole body nervous, was what I do at the thought of those girls running towards me to ‘kill’ me. The thing is, he doesn’t talk and just smiled. He accommodates me in every way, saving a seat for me, even though he could have had it for himself. Plus, making sure I get off the bus safely, whispering a ‘good-bye’, since he memorized all the stations before I drop off.

My urge to ask him why he is commuting troubled me. It’s, what do you call it…stepping on a mine or something.

I had many thoughts.

Maybe the limousine was broken, or the driver was fired, or the driver had a long vacation since it has been three months, or maybe…

I shook at the last one.

He couldn’t have been commuting because of me.

That’s…pathetic. I mean, I look like a parasite, my uniform, dirty because of art activities after class. Most of the time, I forget to bring my apron, which leads to that.

I arrived at the bus stop early. 4 in the afternoon.

As I sat down by the provided bench, Suho arrived. Well, he sat beside me, but put his bag in between. That was a relief.

I checked the time, and it was 4:10 in the afternoon. I was about to pull my music player and headphones when suddenly he spoke.

“You’re an artist, right?”

“Yes,” I hesitantly replied.

“Well,” he chuckled, “The thing is, I need someone to help me with the school’s banner for the upcoming festival. There’s an income for it, don’t worry, and your hard work will be paid. The student council will be responsible for that.”

“Uh-huh,” I nodded. School festivals are the least of my favorite things. During those times, I just appear for the attendance, hang-out with my friends for a while, then go home and sleep all day.

“And Mrs. Lee had offered an exemption to her exam, if ever you pull this thing off,” he smiled.

“So,” I scratched my nape, “you need my help, give me money, but you will be exempted from your exams, thanks to my work?”

His smile faded.

“I don’t know, but isn’t that dirty work? Why don’t you ask your bandits-slash-followers to do that?”

“That’s why, I said-”

“I don’t need money. I’m okay with it, but if you want me to do something, you’ve gotta credit me, Suho-nim,” the bus arrived and I went on. Good, he didn’t follow me.

-0-

Dismissal time, and all I wanted to do was sleep. As I sat at the bench at the bus stop, I noticed that the man beside me was Suho.

“You haven’t changed your mind?” His question boiled the rushing blood on my face.

“Seriously? You’re still-”

“I’m not asking you to do it for the money,” he approached me, closer than before, “I hope you can do it for your own good. The exam is not for the seniors. It’s for the juniors, the final exam. And since I had seen you doing your artworks after school before going here-”

He stopped, maybe realizing how much of a stalker he was. It was my first time to laugh in front of him. His reddish face shies away from my view, covering it with his hands.

“I’m sorry…if, I seem to be…like that,” he apologized.

The sound of thunder jolted my inner existence, and held on to his arm. Then, the rain began pouring, faster and harder. I forgot my umbrella, which made everything okay to worse. The bus was approaching, slowly so the water won’t splash towards the sidewalks.

I was about to stand when Suho held onto my hand, signaling me to stay seated.

“Suho, I-”

“I will take you home.”

True enough, as the bus went, the familiar limousine parked in front of us. The driver immediately went to grab an umbrella by the passenger seat, and assisted me first, as Suho said, then him.

“Mr. Kim,” the driver said, as he started driving, “Where are we going?”

“Near Hakdong Park.”

 I was surprised that he knows specifically where my apartment was.

“You are a stalker…” I sarcastically exclaimed. The driver chuckled a little and pretended to cough at the sight of his master at the mirror.

“Being me has its privileges.”

I nodded in agreement and shook my head. A few minutes, I started to yawn, and I was feeling dizzier. Maybe it was because the limousine smelled of Suho’s fragrance, that I just closed my eyes in surrender.

Pretending to be in a deep sleep, I could feel Suho’s rapid breathing by my cheek. It was ticklish, yet, I tried to maintain my composure. That’s when I felt his lips touched mine.

Somehow, the irritating fragrance developed into an addiction, as I responded to the kiss.

“Tell me that that’s a yes,” he pleaded. I didn’t respond.

Yet, for the both of us, it was the start of a roller-coaster ride.