Chapter 5

Secrets

You had been lying in your bed for God knows how long. Tears stained your pillow as you laid in bed in one of Taeyong’s shirts. The cold surface of your phone touched your hand. You had been waiting to hear something from Taeyong the entire night, but there was still no sign of him. You sighed as you wiped away some stray tears.

The rest of the group members had found out by now what had happened. Mark and Yuta kept blowing up your phone with text messages and calls, but you didn’t have the energy to reply or pick up the phone. You just wanted everything to go back to the way things used to be. You wanted Taeyong back.

Your eyelids felt heavy from exhaustion. You couldn’t fight the fatigue much longer and ended up falling asleep despite your struggle to stay awake.

You dreamt about Taeyong. You dreamt about all the times the two of you were still happy and everything was fine. You revisited an old memory of when he asked you out.

It was your birthday and you had yet to hear from Taeyong the entire day. You figured he was probably busy, so you tried not to let it get to you, but a small part of you still felt sad. Did he forget? You shook your head. ‘We’re not even dating. He’s not obligated to do anything at all.’

You looked at the clock and it was 11:30 PM already. Your friends had just left your apartment, since they had work in the morning. You grabbed your phone and checked for any text messages, but none were from Taeyong. You bit your lip and sighed in frustration. You didn’t think he would be able to come see you, but you had hoped he would send you a message at least.

After taking a shower, you walked into your bedroom and laid down on your bed. You grabbed the cute little penguin plushy that Taeyong had won for you on one of your dates where you had decided to go to an arcade. You secretly wished you could hold Taeyong instead of the plushy.

You suddenly heard a knock on your front door. You raised an eyebrow and wondered who it could be. You jumped out of bed when you realized that it might be Taeyong. You hurriedly walked towards the front door and hoped that your expectations wouldn’t be crushed once again.

You opened the front door and a pair of arms pulled you into a tight embrace. You immediately hugged him back when you felt his familiar arms around you. ‘Happy birthday,’ he panted. ‘I ran all the way to your apartment. I wanted to make it before 12. I hope you’re not too mad at me,’ he said with a guilty expression on his face. You shook your head. ‘I’m just glad you’re here now,’ you said with a smile on your face.

He was the first one to pull away. ‘Here, I got you something,’ he said as he handed you a small box. ‘I hope you like it.’

Carefully, you took off the wrapping paper and a beautiful red velvet box revealed itself. You slowly opened it. A beautiful heart necklace was placed in the middle. You gasped quietly. ‘Taeyong… you shouldn’t have gotten me something so fancy,’ you said as you shook your head. ‘Don’t worry about it, I wanted to get something special for a special lady,’ he said as he winked at you. You blushed slightly.

‘Also, there’s something else.’ He averted his gaze from yours. ‘What is it?’ you wondered. He shuffled his feet slightly. Was he… nervous? A moment of silence passed as he mustered all of his courage. He slowly took your hand in his.

‘Y/N… It’s only been a couple weeks since we have known each other, but every single moment I’ve spent with you has been amazing. No matter where I am, I just can’t help but think of your smile and how it brightens my day. You’re one of the greatest people I’ve ever met and I just can’t let go of this.’

He looked at you and it was hard for you not to drown in his eyes. He squeezed your hand affectionately.

‘So, there’s only one last thing that I want to ask. Y/N, will you be my girlfriend?’ he asked with a slight blush and nervous smile on his face.

You couldn’t suppress your feelings anymore and jumped into his arms. ‘Yes! Of course!’ you said with a bright smile on your face. He laughed and held you tightly once again.

For some reason, it felt like he was really there.

You groggily opened your eyes when you felt a strong pair of arms around your waist. You slightly flinched, but relaxed as soon as you realized who those arms belonged to. You turned around so you could face him.

‘Y/N… I’m sorry for doubting you,’ he whispered as he looked at you. ‘What do you mean?’ you asked confused. You hadn’t had the opportunity to explain things to him yet, so why was he apologizing? ‘Jaehyun told me everything,’ he explained.

Your eyes slightly widened in shock. Jaehyun had done all of that for you? Now you felt guilty for screaming at him. ‘What did he tell you?’ you wondered.

‘That the two of you used to go out with each other. Honestly, I was surprised, but I was happy to find out that you weren’t cheating on me,’ he said as he tucked a strand of hair behind my ear.

You felt incredibly grateful towards Jaehyun. He had gone out of his way to save your relationship with Taeyong. You didn’t know how you were going to thank him for this.

‘So you’re not mad at us?’ you asked cautiously. He shook his head. ‘No, I’m not. I’m just happy that I haven’t lost you,’ he said as he pulled you towards him. ‘Me too. I was so scared. I’m glad you’re here now,’ you said and laid your head on his chest.

‘I love you, Y/N,’ he whispered.

‘I love you too, Taeyong,’ you replied.

He placed a soft kiss on your lips and the both of you peacefully fell asleep in each other’s arms.