Chapter 3

Secrets

You could hear a knock on your door after fifteen minutes. You stood up and walked towards the front door. You opened it without a single word and immediately turned around to walk back towards the living room again. You didn't bother to look behind you, because you already knew who it was. You could hear him quietly entering your apartment and shutting the front door behind him. His footsteps could be heard as he followed you towards the living room. Once again, you took a seat on the couch.

You looked up and caught his gaze. ‘Hey,’ he said quietly as if he was afraid to break the silence. ‘Hi,’ you replied equally as quiet. For the first time in months you finally got to take a good look at his face. Jaehyun had become more handsome, but that was something you would never say out loud.

‘It's been a long time since we've spoken, I mean, held a proper conversation without avoiding each other’s gazes all the time,’ he said with an awkward chuckle. You nodded your head in agreement.

‘I'm sorry about that. I was surprised when I found out that you and Taeyong are part of the same group. I guess it's a small world after all,’ you explained while simultaneously trying to apologize for your behavior. ‘Yeah, I know. I was surprised to see that you were the girl Taeyong had been talking about all this time,’ he agreed.

Jaehyun cautiously moved towards the couch and took a seat next to you. He turned to look at you once again. ‘How have you been, Y/N?’ he asked as his gaze softened.

‘Well, I was doing great until my boyfriend found out about us,’ you said sarcastically. Jaehyun cleared his throat. ‘Right.’

‘So what's your plan?’ he asked. ‘Honestly, I have no idea. What am I supposed to tell him? He's never going to believe me and I don't blame him. I would be mad as well if I caught him kissing one of my close friends,’ you said frustrated.

‘I’m sorry. No one was ever supposed to find out and now it’s ruining your relationship. I’m sorry, Y/N,’ he apologized. You shook your head. ‘It’s not your fault… We should’ve been more careful from the start,’ you said sullenly.

You bit your lip as you could feel the tears welling up in your eyes again. ‘I don’t want to lose him, Jaehyun. I don’t know what to do…’ you said as a few tears escaped.

You could feel him moving closer to you. He cautiously pulled you into his embrace, scared that you might reject his comfort. When you didn’t move away, he put your head on his chest and ran his fingers through your hair. He knew you had always found that comforting.

There was a comfortable silence in the room. It felt nice to be in his familiar arms once again, but you were in love with Taeyong now. So you knew it was wrong.

‘Jaehyun, I–’

You looked up and cut off your own sentence when you caught his intense gaze. You recognized that look in his eyes and you weren’t sure how to feel about that. He was so close that you could feel his breath on your skin…

A loud clash could be heard a few feet away from you. Startled, you looked up to see where the noise had come from.

There he stood, his fists clenched and his eyes burning with fury.

‘Taeyong…’ was all that could leave your lips. You had never regretted giving Taeyong the spare key to your apartment until this moment.

‘I came back because I decided to give you a chance to explain yourself, but then I see you with this guy? Unbelievable. This is hilarious,’ he said, but not a hint of laughter was found in his tone or on his face. If looks could kill, then you and Jaehyun would be six feet under now. You had never seen him this angry before.

You scrambled out of Jaehyun’s weakened embrace.

‘I–’

The words got caught in your throat. You didn't know what to say to him. There was no way you could earn his trust again.

You knew you had ed up.

‘Don’t even bother defending yourself. How were you going to explain this to me, Y/N?! I’ve seen it with my own eyes now. I thought I could trust you. Both of you. I can’t believe I made such a big mistake,’ he said as he bent down to pick up the phone that he had dropped and made his way towards the front door again.

You couldn’t move your body. It felt like your world had finally crashed down on you.

You didn’t stop him from leaving this time. Is this how things were going to end between you and Taeyong? You heard him slam the door shut.

The silence was deafening for a while, until you turned around and pointed your finger at Jaehyun. You were furious. ‘Why did you do that?! Why did you do that even though you know I have a boyfriend? He’s one of your closest friends nonetheless!’ you screamed.

Jaehyun flinched at the tone of your voice. ‘I… I’m sorry. I don’t know what to say. I just got caught up in the moment. I shouldn’t have touched you, but you just looked like you needed the comfort and it’s been so long since I got to hold you. I’m so sorry,’ he said as his head fell in his hands.

‘What am I supposed to do now? There’s no way he’ll listen to me,’ you said as the tears streamed down your face. Never in your entire life had you felt so defeated.

‘I’m sorry, Y/N…’ he whispered. ‘Don’t. It was a mistake of me to call you over. I thought you could help me, but this has only made things worse. Please, leave.’ Your voice broke as more tears streamed down your face.

Jaehyun nodded his head while standing up. He quietly walked towards the front door and looked back one last time before he left your apartment.

The moment he was outside, he had made up his mind already.

‘I have to make this up to her. I refuse to let this ruin their relationship,’ he said with determination in his eyes.

He looked at his surroundings.

‘He shouldn’t be too far,’ Jaehyun said to himself as he walked towards a certain destination.