bonus

Baby boom

Jungkook heard the soft pad of small feet against wooden floor that made the corner of his lips go up in a soft smile. He turned around in time to see the little girl scrub away the sleep off his half closed eyes and smiled softly at her when she finally looked up at him from door.

“G’morning.” she mumbled sleepily before yawning. Jungkook chuckled and cleaned his hands on his apron before approaching his daughter.

“Good morning princess, did you sleep well?” he asked while kneeling in front of her. She nodded a couple of times, her messy curls bouncing with the motion, making Jungkook chuckle again. “You are up early.”

“What are you doing? I smell food.” she said, her little button nose smelling the air around the kitchen. Jungkook laughed louder this time. Like father like daughter, he thought. Hyejin sure inherited her love for food from Jungkook.

“Do you remember which day is it today?” he asked lifting one of his eyebrows. The little girl tilted her head to side in thought, pursing her lips forwards and her eyebrows knit together. “October…”

“Ah!” she snapped, her eyes widening in realization. “Papa’s birthday!”

Jungkook nodded but quickly shh-ed her, pressing a finger against his mouth to signal her to keep her voice low.

“Papa’s still sleeping, you know he’s been really tired lately.” he explained as his daughter nodded in understanding. “I’m making breakfast for him, chocolate pancakes- his favorites. Do you want to help me?”

Hyejin nodded and Jungkook lifted her up in his arms, the girl wrapping her little arms around his shoulders for support immediately. Honestly, she would be of little help since she was too small to reach the kitchen counter or too young to manage any kind of utensil but she would be a good company while he cooked.

Jungkook sat her on the kitchen counter beside him, the stove and anything that could be dangerous out of reach for her. Hyejin sat there just bouncing her legs watching her father cook and practicing the birthday song she wanted to sing for Jimin, Jungkook correcting the lyrics when she got them wrong.

Jungkook wasn’t a good cook, Jimin was the one who managed to make everything taste delicious, but he had been busy the past month with work and classes since he decided to start studying now that Jungkook was almost finished with his own. Besides, it was his birthday and after all it was his day to be spoiled. So he set the alarm early, and carefully maneuvered out of Jimin’s arms to prepare everything for a nice day. It was luck Jimin’s birthday was on Sunday that year, none of them would have to rush out the door for classes or to drop Hyejin at school. It would be just the three of them, relaxing at home, eating delicious -and hopefully not burnt- pancakes and watching movies.

“Ok, all done.” he mumbled once everything was finished. He put everything on a tray, a big plate of chocolate pancakes, two mugs of coffee for Jimin and himself and one of orange juice for Hyejin.

The trip to the bedroom was full of giggles form the toddler because of the way Jungkook walked carefully, slowly and with controlled steps as to not drop anything. He had been working on this since early in the morning and he didn’t want to ruin everything because of his clumsiness.

He motioned for Hyejin to open the door for him and she pushed it open slightly, peeking inside for a moment to make sure Jimin was still sleeping before opening it completely for Jungkook to go in.

Jimin was curled up on Jungkook’s side of the bed, probably seeking for his warmth and presence after he left, the covers thrown all over himself with only his mop of brown hair peeking from underneath.

Hyejin looked back at Jungkook and he nodded at her questioning eyes. It was all it took for her to jump on the king-sized bed, atop of a still sleeping Jimin and singing with all her will the birthday song she had practiced previously.

Jungkook laughed when he heard Jimin groan, peeking from under the blankets with half-closed eyes to see what was going on. It was clear that his brain was still asleep and hadn’t assimilated just yet what was her daughter saying. He sat up, the little girl on his lap mumbling the rest of the lyrics as high pitched giggles went through ; the sight so warm and sweet Jungkook couldn’t help but grin wide.

“Happy birthday!” squealed the girl finally, throwing herself at her dad. Jimin laughed, finally more awake than before, and squished her between his arms.

“Thank you so much, love.” mumbled Jimin, rough voice caught with sleep but with happiness enveloping every single word spoken. Jimin then averted his eyes to Jungkook, who was standing at the side with the tray on his hands and a wide smile on his mouth. “Is that for me?”

“Of course,” answered Jungkook settling the tray on Jimin’s lap after Hyejin moved to sit on his side, her tiny hands clutching at Jimin’s pajama shirt in a vice grip. “Happy birthday, Jiminnie.”

“Aw, thank you…” cooed Jimin through a wide smile, his white teeth shining more than ever and his eyes almost closed in pure happiness. It was that sweet and genuine smile Jungkook loved so much and that he couldn’t ever be thankful enough for Hyejin’s one looking exactly the same.

Jungkook observed his husband cut a small portion of the pancake with the fork and lead it to his mouth, holding in his breath waiting for Jimin to say something.

“Ah…” said Jimin with a flat tone and a slight twitch of his lips, and Jungkook felt his stomach drop; maybe he had managed to mess it up, after all. “You are getting so good at this.” said Jimin and Jungkook deflated relieved, allowing his body to fall forward until he rested his head on Jimin’s shoulder, which was bouncing because of his laugh.

“You scared me, I thought they were bad…” he whined. Hyejin giggled at their side, amused at his dad’s reaction and Jungkook stuck his tongue at her.

“I remember the first birthday you cooked me a batch of these…” said Jimin through a full mouth, cheeks puffed out cutely. Jungkook blushed, remembering also that time, and whined again while hiding his face again on Jimin’s neck. “You almost burnt out your mom’s kitchen. I think I can still hear her scream in horror sometimes.”

“Shut up.” groaned Jungkook, cheeks pink from embarrassment, before stealing the bite Jimin had almost on his mouth. Jungkook hummed pleased as the chocolate spread on his mouth; he would pat himself on the back if he could, they truly tasted good.

“They are really good, thank you so much.” said Jimin, grabbing him  by the back of his neck to push him close enough for their lips to meet. The kiss was tender and tasted sweet, because of the chocolate and because of the simple feel of Jimin’s lips against his own.

“I’m glad you like them.” he mumbled before leaving two more soft pecks on Jimin’s lips, making the other giggle. “It’s the only thing I know how to cook.”

Jungkook leaned back and observed Jimin feed Hyejin a big bite of the pancake, the little girl squealing in delight and asking for more urgently, both adults laughing at their daughter’s cuteness. He found himself smiling, warmth spreading on his chest; his heart felt full, complete, happy, and it amazed him how those two persons could make him feel so good by simply being there and loving him back as much as he loved them.

A quick throwback got him thinking about his teen years, in which he had rejected Jimin and he had doubted himself so much about everything; about all the turmoil it had took on him come to terms with his feelings for the other. He would never be thankful enough to Jimin for giving him a chance, after all they had been through. And thinking back to the past five years, there was nothing he would change from his life now. Obviously, loving Jimin was the best that could have happened to him. And Hyejin added that extra touch of sparkle they didn’t know they needed so much on their lives.

“Why are you so quiet?” asked Jimin, snapping him out of his thoughts.

Jungkook blinked at his husband for a second before shrugging his shoulders as an answer and then looked at Hyejin, who was busy all the chocolate syrup form the plate.

“I just… I love you both so much.”

Jimin smiled again, throwing his head back to rest it against the pillow, looking so soft and content with everything that the sight melted Jungkook’s heart.

“I love you too.” mumbled Jimin grasping Jungkook’s left hand with his own. Jungkook felt the other play with the ring that sat on his finger, the golden promise of their everlasting love for each other, but his eyes couldn’t stop from staring at the other. “I’m so happy to have you with me now and forever.”

Jungkook returned the smile, holding Jimin’s sincere stare full of fondness before leaning forward again to place a soft kiss on his lips.

“What about me?” asked the girl loudly. Jimin laughed and hugged her close to his chest. “Do you love me too?”

“Of course, princess. Papa and Dad love you dearly and so, so, so much until the end of times.” answered Jimin, looking at Jungkook with a wide grin as their daughter snuggled on his chest and giggled happily.

“And now the presents!” announced Jungkook and Hyejin whooped loudly, separating herself from Jimin to go running to her bedroom, screaming something along the lines of my present is the best of all! eliciting amused chuckles from both adults.

Jungkook took out a small box from his pocket and handed it to the other, who lifted his eyebrow at him and held the box with care, as if it were going to break.

“Can we allow expensive jewelry?” he asked with a soft voice. Jungkook nodded and monitored for the other to open it already. It wasn’t much, not really fancy considering they weren’t that financially strong yet, but he knew Jimin would like it. He tried to hold back his pleased smirk when he heard the other gasp but failed when Jimin’s eyes teared up. “This is so… I love it.” he whispered.

“You always say you wish you could bring us everywhere with you so…” Jungkook said. Jimin handed him the necklace for Jungkook to put it around his neck, giving him another sweet kiss afterwards.

“It’s beautiful, thank you Jungkook.” mumbled Jimin admiring the piece between his fingers. It was a small oval silver piece, simple and elegant with Jungkook’s and Hyejin’s letters engraved at the back. It didn’t look like much at first glance but the nice part was that it could open to reveal a family pic of the three of them. It was small and maybe it could be hard to admire the details of the picture in it, but the essence of their little family was there, and that was enough.

Hyejin came running with a sheet of paper almost as big as herself and shyly passed it to Jimin who immediately cooed at her drawing and pestered her reddened face with kisses.

They were far from perfect, Jungkook thought as he stared at Jimin compliment the drawing Hyejin had gifted him, and they were sure struggling a bit with everything that came with the adult life, but his tiny family was everything he could have ever asked for and much more.