Final

Baby boom

Jimin eyed the room around him carefully; the office was small, walls painted a light beige, white curtains covering the big window opposite the wall where all the diplomas where hanging. The mahogany desk in front of him big and spacious, maybe a bit out of proportions for such small room, but taking in consideration the amount of papers and folders scattered on it it made sense.

Jimin sighed, feeling the sensation of nausea creeping up at him once again. He grimaced, crossing his arm across his abdomen to make pressure on his stomach in hopes to dull a bit the weird sensation. He was nervous, but he knew the nausea wasn’t from that.

Jimin jumped startled when the door of the office bursted open, a middled aged man coming in with a soft smile Jimin was already pretty familiar with. Doctor Seo was an old friend of his family, he always took care of all the health problems the Park family had along the years.

“Hi Jimin.” said the doctor, sitting on his leather chair behind the big desk and left a folder atop of it, Jimin assumed it was his medical record.

Jimin was too nervous to speak so he simply smiled and gave the doctor a curt nod as a reply. 

It was unusual for Jimin to go see Doctor Seo so randomly. He made sure to go for a full check of his health at least once or twice every year, every single time coming off as healthy as a kid his age should be, but the past two months had been weird, dizziness or nausea the common symptoms almost every morning.

His mother, being the worrying hen she was, upon witnessing his son emptying the contents of his stomach every other morning decided to schedule a meeting with the doctor. Just in case son, so we know it’s not something serious, she said when he complained about it.

Jimin observed the man rest his elbows on the desk, clasping his hands together and leaning forward. He seemed nervous, noted Jimin, the soft crease of his eyebrows and his pursued lips gave it away.

So here it is, he thought, now’s when he says I’m dying.

“How have you been these days, Jimin?” asked the doctor, brown eyes looking at him with warmth but with a glint of worry. Jimin forced himself to breath. “Some other symptoms you want to share with me?”

“Uhm, well-“ he shrugged, nervous eyes roaming around the room for a second before locking on the doctor again. “As I said nauseas and dizziness, specially during mornings, are the most common ones but lately I’m always tired and grumpy, I feel a bit weak…”

The doctor nodded slowly, processing the new information and Jimin knew just then that something was wrong for sure.

“You know we’ve run some blood tests when you came in.” Seo said, opening the folder in front on him, eyes roaming down the scribbled papers inside of it. Jimin nodded feeling his heart pick up its beating. “everything is okay, you are as healthy as always.”

Despite the good news Jimin couldn’t feel himself breathing in relief because there was something off in the way the doctor was eyeing him so carefully, as if afraid to say something.

“But?” asked Jimin, his voice sounding small and delicate in the silent room. The doctor sighed and pursued his lips, probably preparing mentally to give the news away.

“You are pregnant, Jimin.”

Silence enveloped the room, thick and heavy and Jimin didn’t know what was he supposed to do to keep breathing.

Pregnant.

“No.” Jimin said determined, voice broken and eyes sparkling with the tears that were forming rapidly on them. Because no, he wasn’t pregnant. He didn’t have a baby growing up inside his belly; a baby that would come out of him in nine months whom he would have to provide with food, care and love; a baby that will ruin his life because he’s too young to be a parent - seventeen is not a number that should go accompanied with the word pregnancy.

“The blood samples we took said you are pregnant but to make sure we should run some ultrasounds.” said Seo with a soft voice, obviously trying to not scare any more an already panicky Jimin.

No.” said Jimin again, shaking his head rapidly and scrunching his eyes shut. “I’m not- I can’t be-“ he chocked out while his arms pressed tightly around his stomach.

Doctor Seo stood from his chair, circling the ridiculously enormous table until reaching Jimin to crouch in front of him.

“Jimin, it’s okay. Breathe.” He said, but Jimin wasn’t listening; he couldn’t under the noise of his blood pumping loudly in his ears or his chocked out sobs.

The man passed his arm around Jimin’s shoulder to bring his tiny body to him, enveloping the teen in what was supposed to be a reassuring and comforting hug but that did little to calm down the sobbing boy.

 

✲✲✲✲

 

“And this little bump here is your baby.” said the female voice softly, velvety sound that helped Jimin contain his urge to scream and run out of the room -or jump off the window.

The doctor didn’t stop putting pressure on his tummy, turning her head to see Jimin’s wide eyes fixed on the screen at his side that showed a little curled up form that was supposed to be his baby. He swallowed harshly, the lump on his throat barely allowing him do much as breath.

He was so ed.

“Taking in consideration the size, you must be around ten weeks pregnant.” she continued while moving the transducer a bit to the side to change the angle of the image showing on the screen. “And it looks like everything is completely okay, no signs of bad development so far.”

Jimin wanted to force his eyes away from the screen, but there was no point in doing it. Ignoring what was actually in front of him wouldn’t make it any less real.

“I…” he started with a small voice but cut himself by bitting his lip. The doctor, Kim Yongsun as she introduced herself previously, looked at him with a soft smile in an attempt to help him relax, surely sensing the nervousness emanating from the teen. “I can’t have the baby.”

He felt wrong the instant he spoke aloud his thoughts. Despite not wanting to be a parent so soon he couldn’t help but feel a bit cheery with the fact that there was a life growing inside him, fruit of his own body. It was sure a weird sensation that he never thought would be experiencing so soon. But, at the same time, he wouldn’t be able to take care of that baby properly.

“It’s okay dear.” she said, taking away the transducer from him, the screen turning immediately to black. “You can choose abortion up to fourteen weeks, so if you are considering that a valid option we are still on time.”

Jimin sighed a breath of relief, instantly getting close to tears again with guilt consuming him from the previous feeling of alleviation. But he had the right to choose, and he knew abortion was  the best option at the moment given his young age. He was still in high school, he wanted to keep studying but a baby would put on a damper to that. A child required a lot of attention and affection, not to mention economical stability and the reassurance and safety of a home and he had neither of those.

“You just need to bring in both your parents or legal representative and sign some papers.” she informed turning around to shut off the machine.

“My parents?” asked Jimin feeling the blood drain off his face once again.

“Yeah. You are a minor, right?” she asked while whipping off the cold gel she put on his navel. “Then you need your parents consent.” she said after Jimin nodded.

“No, they can’t know. They will kill me…” he said, sitting up on the bed. “Doctor Seo knows my parents, maybe he could give the okay for them-“

“I’m sorry Jimin.” she interrupted, grabbing his hand on hers to squeeze it while offering a sympathetic look to him. “But it’s the Law, we can’t just ignore it. We need you to bring in your parents here and them to be okay with it, give consent and sing the papers.”

“Oh my God…” he breathed out weakly. Here were again the tears, falling down his eyes uncontrollably. She stood from the tool she was sitting on and embraced him on a firm hug. The sweet fragrance of her perfume invading Jimin’s nostrils and somehow helping ease a bit the anxiety consuming him.

“It’s okay Jimin, they will understand-“

“No they won’t.” he cried, probably sounding really pathetic. “You don’t understand doctor. They aren’t okay with abortion- they don’t believe in such practices.” he explained brokenly, burying his face on her neck and crying a bit more when she just patted his head and didn’t say anything else.

He was so ed.

 

 

✲✲✲✲

 

 

 

Jeon Jungkook liked to think he had the perfect life. He was good in sports, during his years of high school he changed a bit his preferences until he got a spot in the basketball team and made a good name for himself and even a fanbase of some sorts. His grades were in line, not excellent, but good enough to make his parents pat his shoulder approvingly and give him proud smiles.

The Jeon family lived quite good and in a nice neighborhood. Both his parents being lawyers of good reputation made his life easier, never once had he been denied of anything.

His fame on school was big. Everyone knew Jeon Jungkook, wanted to be him or with him and he enjoyed every single awed smile, fluttered eyelashes and words of envy directed at him. Obviously, there were people on school who glared at him on the halls, whispering insults at him but Jungkook shrugged them off. They were all just a bunch of jealous idiots. After all, it was him who had a perfect life.

But all that wouldn’t help him overcome such big problem going by the name of Park Jimin.

“You are kidding, right?” asked Jungkook, nervous smile tugging up the corners of his mouth. He watched Jimin sigh deeply before shaking his head in negative.

“I’ve run all the tests and all of them came out as positive. I’ve also went under ultrasounds, I’ve seen it with my own eyes.

Jungkook opened and closed his mouth like a fish out the water, probably making him look like a complete idiot and damaging his image of cool kid entirely. Luckily there wasn’t anyone around them.

“You are lying…” he stated, shaking his head disbelievingly and taking a step away from Jimin.

“I’m not. Do you think I would make up such a thing?” inquired Jimin with a deep frown, obviously offended by what Jungkook was implying.

“How do I know it’s mine?” accused Jungkook then. He wasn’t known for keeping his cool, harsh words slipped from his mouth easily more times than it was appropriate. It was like mechanism of defense against all those pricks that always had bad words for him. Bite before they bite you.

“I- at the party…” Jimin started a bit flustered, tilting his head down so Jungkook wouldn’t see the blush spreading on his cheeks. “We had- well, you know.”

“That doesn’t mean it’s mine.” clarified Jungkook, pushing away the thought of how cute Jimin was being currently, so shy and blushing, in contraposition on how hot he looked that night at the party, underneath him and wantonly while Jungkook ed desperately inside of him.

It wasn’t meant to happen, Jungkook would have never had with someone like Jimin if not because he was piss off drunk that night. Jimin wasn’t the type of boy he would usually flirt with until he got them putty on his hands, but that night, under the influence of alcohol and the dim lights of the house making Jimin’s features look even more softer and beautiful he couldn’t stop himself. He could still remember Jimin cutely stuttering his words out a bit at first, nervous and blushing and intimidated by Jungkook’s presence and flirtatious words, but after the other had given him some extra glasses of beer Jimin had relaxed and laughed out loud at Jungkook’s poor attempts at funny jokes.

And somehow, between laughs and shy fingers wandering over warm skin, they ended up in some dark bedroom having . It was a good , Jungkook would give him that, but both boys decided upon waking up beside each other the next morning, that they wouldn’t speak a word about what had happened. And Jungkook did good for two months until Jimin dragged him to a deserted part of the school to tell him he was pregnant.

“The dates coincide.” mumbled Jimin, snapping Jungkook back to present time. The taller of the two laughed without humor on his voice and ran a hand nervously through his hair.

“That still doesn’t confirm I’m the dad.” spat Jungkook, getting more angry and frustrated by the second.

“You are my first, Jungkook, and the only one I’ve had so far…” admitted embarrassed Jimin, bitting his lip nervously and avoiding completely making eye contact with the latter.

“You’ve gotta be kidding me…” he mumbled to himself. Jungkook dropped his backpack to the floor and lifted both his hands to his face to muffle the loud groan that slipped from his mouth.

“Wish I was…” replied Jimin under his breath, obviously not meant for Jungkook to hear.

They stayed silent for a couple of minutes, Jungkook pacing around nervously like a caged lion desperate to be freed while Jimin observed him with a nervous stance. Not a sound could be heard in the emptiness of the hall and Jungkook knew then that everyone was probably on class already.

“What about abortion.” said Jungkook then, defiant stare directed at Jimin as if it were the most obvious thing.

“Do you think I haven’t thought of that? But I need my parents’ consent to get it done.” answered Jimin, head tilting back down again and shoved his hand on his jacket’s pockets, as if he was protecting himself from what was about to be said.

“Then ask them!” said Jungkook loudly with an exasperated tone, regretting immediately screaming after seeing Jimin flinch.

“I can’t…” he said with a small voice, eyes fixed on his feet shuffling on the tiles beneath them. “They don’t believe in abortion, they won’t give me their consent for that.”

Jungkook wheezed, staring up the ceiling desperately. Well, his luck. Of course he would get pregnant someone whose parents wouldn’t be supportive of.

Right on the bull’s eye, Jeon Jungkook.

“What are we gonna do?” asked Jimin when Jungkook didn’t say anything else. He sounded so scared and vulnerable that Jungkook almost felt bad.

We? Oh no, there is no ‘we’ on this.” guffawed Jungkook grabbing his backpack from the floor and perching it on his shoulder before storming off. “I’m not gonna take care of that baby.”

“What?” spluttered Jimin, following after the other when he started walking down the corridor directed to his class. “You are an , you know? This is also your fault.”

“No, it’s not.” said Jungkook, halting his walk suddenly and turning around to look down at Jimin. “It’s your problem, I’m not gonna be part of this mess.”

“It’s also your problem, Jungkook.” hissed out Jimin, using both his hands to shove Jungkook’s chest angrily, barely making Junkook’s tall frame move an inch.

“No, you shouldn’t let yourself be ed raw by someone if you don’t wanna get pregnant.”

“And you should always put on a if you are willing to someone.” spat back Jimin, obviously getting more angry by the second. His usual shy demeanor completely forgotten and swallowed by his rage. “We are both at fault, Jungkook.”

Jungkook snorted while turning around again to direct his steps away from Jimin, but the shorter one kept following him and he didn’t stop walking until Jimin stood in front of him looking at him with a desperate glint shining on his eyes. Or maybe it was tears of frustration.

“I’m not asking you to marry me and form a family together, Jungkook.” said Jimin, breathing a bit harshly. “I just want you to help me through the pregnancy and later we can give the baby in adoption.”

Jungkook sighed, guiltily darting his eyes away from Jimin’s pleading ones because he knew that if he looked into them he would easily comply to whatever Jimin asked from him. There was something about Jimin that Jungkook couldn’t just simply ignore, there was a glint of genuineness and purity on those eyes that almost made Jungkook promise to protect him for the rest of his life.

Almost.

“Sorry, I can’t Jimin.” he said with a small voice and then walked around the shorter one without even sparing him a last glance. He walked down the corridor without looking back, steady steps directing him to the parking lot to unlock his car and go straight home, completely ignoring the fact that there was a whole day of classes ahead and basketball training right after.

 

 

✲✲✲✲

 

 

“You are so quiet today.” 

Jimin turned his head away from the window to find Taehyung curiously looking at him with a glint of worry on his brown eyes. Jimin clenched his jaw and avoided his best friend’s stare, turning his attention back to the window at his side.

He hadn’t told Taehyung yet and he felt awful for it. They had been friends since they used diappers, always attached to the hip going here and there and doing everything together; Everyone knew that wherever went Taehyung Jimin was coming right behind and viceversa.

“What’s bothering you?” came Taehyung’s deep voice and Jimin heard shuffling from behind him, surely his friend moving to sit closer.

They were on Taehyung’s bedroom supposedly doing homework, but none of them could concentrate on it so Jimin ended up sitting on the edge of the bed to look out the window while Taehyung read a manga book.

“Nothing.” curtly replied Jimin, feeling his throat constrict with the lie that just slipped through his lips. Everything is wrong, he wanted to say instead.

“Liar.” said Taehyung now resting his chin on Jimin’s shoulder. And somehow the warmth on his back emanating from his friend helped Jimin relax a bit. He had always felt safer on Taehyung’s house, more than on his own. “You know you can tell me everything.”

Jimin nodded, eyes still fixed on the empty street in front of him.

“I…” Jimin began, not really sure of what to say. The words were ready on his tongue, willing to be freed, but for every time he said them out loud a part of his heart broke.

Taehyung didn’t say anything, worried eyes studying Jimin’s conflicted face. It hurt him to see his best friend struggling on his own with whatever was the problem.

“You know that night at that party…” trailed off Jimin. Taehyung nodded in encouragement for Jimin to keep talking. “You also know me and Jungkook… well, had… .”

Taehyung smirked as the memory of his best friend panicky but also happy telling him his first time. He remembered Jimin flushing deep red when Taehyung asked him for details and reluctantly explained it all. He knew Jimin had always had a tiny crush on Jungkook so he was quite happy for him; who wouldn’t, after all Jungkook was really attractive and his quiet attitude pulled off a mysterious aura that made every other girl or boy fall for him, so it was a big thing his friend had lost his ity with someone like Jungkook despite agreeing on not talking about it to anyone right after it happened. Jimin would always find someone so much better to start a relationship with, the basketball player was enough for a good .

“Yeah, I remember you told me about it…” teased Taehyung, laughing as the tip of Jimin’s ears tinted red. “What, has the popular boy asked you on a date?”

Taehyung’s smile dropped when he saw Jimin deflating, eyes downcast and fixed on his hands fumbling on his lap.

“I went to the doctor las week because you know I haven’t been feeling well these past days…” started Jimin and Taehyung jumped from his spot behind his friend to sit next to him and grabbed his hands in a tight squeeze.

“Oh my God, don’t tell me…that - he passed on something on you?” asked Taehyung in a high pitched voice, panic consuming him all of a sudden. “I knew it- oh my God Jimin, I knew he was a ing playboy I’m sure he always s raw everyone and-“

“I’m pregnant.” cut Jimin with a small voice.

Taehyung just stared at him, blinking stupidly at Jimin’s profile as his brain tried to take in the new information.

“Preg- what?” asked confused Taehyung. So Jimin wasn’t dying from some contagious STD? 

“Pregnant, Taehyung… A baby is growing on my belly.” spat furiously Jimin, whipping off the tears of frustration that had begun to fall from his eyes again.

Taehyung’s wide eyes dragged all the way down from Jimin’s face to his navel, covered with a thick and oversized sweater.

“Holy …” his eyes went back up again to make direct contact with Jimin’s wet ones. He felt tears forming on his own at the fear he could see on the other’s brown orbs. He was scared, lost and desperate and Taehyung felt awful for not being able to help him.

“, I’m so sorry Jimin.” said Taehyung enveloping his best friend on a tight embrace. A baby was supposed to be good news, but this one came at the worst time ever and brought with it everything but joy. Jimin allowed himself to be comforted by the warm and strong arms of his friend as uncontrollable sobs left him. “I shouldn’t have left you alone in the party, I- .”

“It’s not your fault.” managed to say Jimin, voice muffled against the fabric of Taehyung’s soft sweater.

“It is… I should have stayed with you all night, this shouldn’t have happened if I weren’t-“

“Tae, it’s okay. It was my fault for getting drunk on the first place, and for not checking if Jungkook was using a or not. Besides, you aren’t supposed to be my babysitter or anything like that…”

They fell silent then, Jimin trying to control his breathing as his sobs calmed down a bit thanks to Taehyung’s hand running up and down his back.

“Have you told Jungkook?” asked Taehyung softly, scared that speaking too loudly could make Jimin break into tears once again.

The smaller one tensed on his arms, burying his face even more on his friend’s shoulder.

“He doesn’t want to know anything about it.”

“What? that son of a - I’m gonna kill him-” 

“No” exclaimed Jimin, forcing himself to separate from Taehyung’s body to look into his eyes. “Don’t do anything, he’s not worth our time.”

“But it’s his baby also, he should be with you and-“

“Taehyung, please.” pleaded Jimin.”I don’t want to make the situation worse.”

 Taehyung sighed frustrated. He was ravenous, wanted to punch Jungkook so hard that would forget his own name, but Jimin was asking not to do anything, so instead of being a nuisance for his best friend he promised himself to be his pillar and support during the whole process. He would make sure to help Jimin as much as he could because he knew that once Jimin’s parents found out about it hell would broke loose.

“Okay, I promise I won’t kill that dickhead.”

Despite the strong words coming from his mouth, Jimin chuckled while leaning down to rest his forehead on Taehyung’s shoulder. He didn’t have enough words to thank his best friend for being here with him.

 

 

✲✲✲✲

 

 

Jimin knew it was coming sooner or later, though he had hoped he could have been able hide it a little bit longer.

He should have known something was off the moment he sat on the table after his mom called him when dinner was ready. The usual and casual chatter was none-existential, forks clinking against the plate were the only sounds heard. Jimin felt really uncomfortable feeling his father’s eyes burning holes on his skull while he played with the vegetables dull of any taste on his plate. His mother had never been a good cook, but it was the rule made by his father for her to be responsible to put warm food on their stomachs.

“Is something wrong?” he asked softly, feeling brave enough to lift his eyes to look at his father. His mother cleared , making him focus his attention on her instead.

“Don’t you have something to tell us?” she spoke in a soft tone but full of condescendence. Jimin squirmed nervously on his chair.

“Uhm, no?” he said dropping the fork on the plate. He didn’t felt hungry anymore.

His mother lifted her eyebrow and pursued his lips, expression she did every time Jimin did or said something that didn’t please her. Unfortunately, it had happened more times that Jimin wanted to admit.

“Doctor Seo called today asking how are you doing.” she said coldly with eyes narrowed at him. “When were you gonna tell me you are pregnant?”

Jimin’s heart dropped and his hands started shaking. That was unfair, he wanted to tell them himself when he felt prepared. Mentally and physically prepared for any form of anger that would surely come at him. He wanted to run, get out of that house and spend the next seven months of pregnancy with Taehyung and his family, where he felt safe and protected.

“I- I’m sorry, I know I should have told you before-“

“You are a ing .” spat angrily his dad, voice deep and thick. Those were the only words that he had said for the whole night, and despite Jimin being used at his rough attitude it still stung a bit. “Getting pregnant out of marriage, I thought we taught you better than that.”

Jimin gulped, opening his mouth to try to say something but no words came out. He wanted to defend himself, tell his parents it wasn’t bad to have out of marriage but he knew it was like talking to a wall; They had always been strict about issues like this, loudly and proudly stating their opinions of how youth was so corrupted and out of control nowadays.

“I hope, at least, that we can meet your boyfriend.” said his mother and Jimin felt so small because of the disgusted look she was directing at him.

“I don’t…He’s not my boyfriend.” he knew that was the wrong thing to say, that would only make them even more mad at him, but there was no point in lying anymore. He couldn’t say Taehyung was the dad, that would cause him trouble and Jimin wouldn’t want that; and Jungkook didn’t want to know anything about it, so he had no one to present as the dad of his baby.

The room grew colder suddenly, his parents stared outraged and disgusted at him, as if he was really a piece of they had just stepped on, and that only fueled the pity he was already feeling for himself.

“Get out of my house.” spat out his dad. Jimin in a deep breath.

“What?”

“I don’t want a like you sleeping under my roof.”

Jimin stared at him astonished. He knew his dad had quite the temper, always reprimanded him harshly when he was a little kid and cried too much for his liking but he thought that deep down he loved him, that it was just a man doing it as good as he could.

“Right now!” he yelled slapping the table with his hand. Jimin jumped in surprise as the glasses, plates and cutlery clinked with the force of the hit.

Jimin averted his watering eyes to his mother in hopes to see some sympathy on her, something to tell him that his father was just exaggerating, that he wasn’t being forced to leave his home. But there was nothing on them, she wasn’t even looking at him, she just started eating as if his husband wasn’t kicking out her only son out of his home.

Jimin stood slowly, the chair screeching with the movement of being dragged back, and with all the courage he could muster up he went to his room, forcing himself not to cry. Not in front of them, he told himself, don’t show them they have hurt you.

He didn’t take long to pack his things, he didn’t have much to pack anyways, and when he came out of his bedroom his parents were still sitting on the dinning table, munching on their food with blank expressions. He stood at the door, throwing them a last glance, waiting for his mother to stand and hug him and tell him that it was okay, that they would get through this together; or his dad telling him that he wasn’t forced to leave, that he loved him. But nothing happened except for his father muttering a soft “leave your keys here” without lifting his eyes from his plate.

And Jimin did, left the keys on the entrance hall alongside with the little love and respect he had for his parents.

When Taehyung opened the front door and saw his friend’s small and shaking frame  crying his heart out with a bag perched on his shoulder he couldn’t help himself from enveloping him in a crushing hug, even shedding a bunch of tears of his own.

“It’s okay Jiminnie, I’m here with you.”

And Jimin cried harder, because those were the words he desperately needed to hear, and they came from his best friend, his brother. From his only and true family.

 

 

✲✲✲✲

 

 

Rumors had always spread fast, like fire on wood, and in a high school where everyone loves some juicy gossip it does even faster.

Jimin’s pregnancy became hot topic on school, everyone knew about it and weren’t even ashamed to point at him while whispering nothings when Jimin walked down the corridor.

It started when he went to his physical educator teacher with a medic certification that forbid him to do any type of physical movement that would risk his pregnant state, so pretty much he wasn’t allowed to be part of the class. Obviously, his teacher got so surprised by the news he told the principal, who called him to his office to ask so many questions Jimin got out of there feeling a bit dizzy. And somehow, someone had heard him talking to the teacher, or maybe it was in the office when the principal questioned him about the issue and spread the word, and within two days everyone knew Park Jimin was pregnant. It was bound to happen anyways, he wouldn’t be able to hide the protruding tummy that was slowly growing for too long.

He felt like a toy for the first days, everyone looked at him with curious gazes and some even approached to ask stupid questions that if it were worded to someone else would have surely felt offended. 

But thanks to Taehyung he started to shrug off those idiots for the most part.

His best friend did all his best to help him; he accompanied him to go see Doctor Kim, even cried when she showed him the baby growing inside Jimin, holding his hand tightly and biting his lip “I’m gonna be an uncle” he had said proudly, and that made Jimin cry a little bit, feeling less ashamed of his pregnancy.

At the Kim’s house, now also Jimin’s home, everyone treated him with love and respect. Taehyung’s mother gushed at him since the first day, patting his tummy happily and giving him encouraging words, promising to help him as much as she could during the hard months that were coming. Her husband just smiled and shrugged Jimin off when the teen apologized profusely for causing them trouble, for adding two mouths to feed.

“You are already part of the family Jimin, you aren’t a burden.” he had said with a wide smile, full of teeth and comforting, just like Taehyung’s own.

And like this another month had passed by. His navel had started to grow, round and soft, as he started to gain a little of weight. Doctor Kim told him it was usual, but gave him a diet plan to follow so he wouldn’t get extra and unnecessary fat to get rid off after giving birth, though Taehyung always made sure to give him some candy or greasy food from time to time, eliciting stupid banters between them.

“Taehyung, I’m not gonna eat that.” said Jimin while glaring at his friend. He knew they were making a bit of an spectacle on the canteen, the table beside them looking at them as if they had grow out two heads.

“But you are so thin, you need to eat more.” whined Taehyung, moving the wrapped hamburger in front of Jimin, the greasy smell invading him nostrils.

“Doctor Kim said that if I gain too much weight during pregnancy it will be hard to lose it after.” explained Jimin for what felt the hundredth time to his friend.

“But a burger from time to time won’t hurt you.” pouted Taehyung. Jimin sighed, eyes looking up at the ceiling asking to whoever was up there for patience.

“Okay, give me that.” Jimin stretched his arm, signaling with his hand for the other to give the food to him. “Not gonna eat it all though, just half.”

Taehyung stuck his tongue out to him but smiled nonetheless when he saw Jimin take a bit of the burger. He roamed his eyes around the spacious canteen, bunch of teenagers sitting there being loud and cheerful while eating until he stopped on him.

“He’s looking at you again.” said Taehyung, surprising Jimin at half bite. The other looked at him confused before following his line of sight to make eye contact with Jungkook, who quickly dragged his eyes away to pretend he was listening to his friends talk.

Jimin dropped the burger on his plate, feeling his stomach shut completely. He had been avoiding Jungkook for the past month just like the other had been avoiding him. But lately it seemed impossible to do; Jungkook was everywhere and every time they were in the same room Jungkook would blatantly stare at him. They had shared eye contact a couple of times but they always ended quickly with Jungkook averting his gaze just like he did just now. It was weird, it felt as if Jungkook wanted to approach him or say something but never dared to, and it was getting on Jimin’s nerves.

“I’m not hungry anymore.” mumbled Jimin while standing up and perching his bag on his shoulder.

“What? But you have barely eaten.” protested Taehyung with wide and worried eyes. “Nauseas again?”

Jimin shook his head and motioned with his head for his friend to follow him, very aware of Jungkook’s eyes fixed on him once again.

“Just… Just need some fresh air.”

Taehyung nodded, wrapped the burger on its paper again - because there was no way he was throwing away such a good burger he payed for with his own money- and followed Jimin out the canteen. On his way out Taehyung felt another pair of eyes fixed on him and when he turned his face to his left he saw Kim Minjae looking at him with a face he couldn’t really decipher. He stopped walking and smiled at the other male with a little friendly wave of his hand but the other just gave a tight smile back. 

Taehyung frowned slightly, surprised at the lack of enthusiasm coming from Minjae. Since that night at the party in which they face Taehyung had been pretty obsessed with the other male. Well, he had been obsessed with him way before that night, to be honest.

Minjae was all cute smiles with little dimples, eyes mischievous and curious and fluffy brown hair that Taehyung wished he could run his fingers through all day. He was pretty infatuated by the other and thought he was also interested on him, but apparently Minjae wasn’t exactly feeling the same given the lack of flirting.

“Taetae?” Came Jimin’s voice to snap him out of his trail of thoughts. Taehyung turned his head to his friend, who was looking at him quizzically, but he just shook his head and made his way out the canteen, not forgetting to direct another glance at Minjae who had already looked away.

The air of March was cold so he made sure to cover Jimin with a thick scarf when they put a foot outside school.

“You don’t need to act like my mother.” said Jimin with a pout but snuggled anyways into the warmth the big scarf provided.

“I wouldn’t if you didn’t act like a little kid.” protested Taehyung passing his arm across the smaller’s shoulders. Jimin grumbled but pressed tight against Taehyung’s body, feeling his body stop shivering from being too cold.

“Are you gonna tell me why you were looking at Kim Minjae with heart eyes or do I have to torture you to know?”

Jimin felt Taehyung tense and enjoyed with big satisfaction that reaction. Was time to make Taehyung pay for all the times he laughed at his crush on Jungkook.

“I wasn’t…” The taller trailed off when he saw the side glance Jimin was throwing at him. Taehyung sighed, he wasn’t able to keep secrets from his best friend. 

“Okay… we kind of kissed that night at the party.”  confessed Taehyung, ducking his head down in embarrassment, cheeks tinting pink and not precisely from the cold air.

Jimin gasped and pushed his friend, giving him an outraged look.

“And you weren’t going to tell me, you poopface? What a traitor…” said Jimin dramatically, resting one of his hands atop his heart while the other rested flat on his tummy. “Look baby, your uncle is betraying us, he doesn’t trust your father to tell him such important information.”

Taehyung chuckled and approached Jimin in an attempt to hug him but the smaller one lifted his arm, palm up to stop Taehyung to come any closer with a face contorted into one of pure hurt.

“Oh come on! I wanted to tell you before, I swear! I just- I couldn’t find the right moment.” whined Taehyung, the corners of his mouth dragged down to make him look like a sad child.

“You have hurt me pretty bad, Kim Taehyung…” replied Jimin while whipping fake tears.

“Okay, then I’m not gonna tell you the details.” shrugged off Taehyung, turning around and catching on a quick pace towards his own classroom, knowing perfectly well Jimin’s short legs would struggle with that pace, especially now with the added weight of his growing tummy.

“Hey! Wait, you poopface!” screamed Jimin, quickly walking to follow his friend. “You better tell me everything or I’m gonna use your sponge to clean my .”

Taehyung laughed and slowed down his steps until Jimin reached him and, once again, rested his long arm on the other’s shoulders.

“Okay, gonna tell you everything.” said Taehyung mischievously, eyes lighting up with joy at the memories of Minjae kissing him back that night.

The two friends kept on talking on their way to class, not aware that they were being watched by students on the hall who started speculating about their relationship. 

 

 

Speculations that reached ridiculous levels within the next month in Jungkook’s opinion. Everyone started talking about those two behind their backs, a lot of people affirmed to have seen them kissing and hugging like a real couple, so it was a fact that Taehyung must be the father of the baby. And he knew those were lies, first of all because he, Jeon Jungkook, was the real father of that child, and in second place because there was no way Jimin and Taehyung were a thing. They just didn’t fit.

So those rumors were getting on his nerves, making him more grumpy than usual. Although, maybe, that anger came with the idea that jimin had replaced him so quickly for another to be the father of his baby; or that maybe it was true he and Taehyung were together and Jimin had lied to him. But he pushed that thought back at the furthest corner of his mind when it first appeared.

It was better like this, he told himself. People would never think him and Jimin had that night and that it was actually Jungkook’s baby. They would never be able to connect them together.

So if it really was better like this why couldn’t he stop staring at Jimin when he spotted him on the halls and notice how big his -their- baby was growing? Why couldn’t he stop the green monster of jealousy screaming inside his head every time he saw Kim idiot Taehyung hugging Jimin, wrapping Jimin with a fluffy scarf or feeding Jimin or simply standing beside him? It was stupid, he was being stupid.

Kim Taehyung was stupid.

Just like he was being stupid right now with his ear stuck to Jimin’s rounded tummy, mouth hanging open after having mumbled something to it while Jimin laughed his off at his friend’s antics. Of course people would assume they were a couple, they were acting like one in the middle of the halls without any care.

Jungkook clenched his jaw in rage and frustration. He knew he was being irrational, after all it was him who pushed Jimin away but despite this known fact he couldn’t control his emotions and jealousy and anger were consuming him.

“Dude, if looks could kill those two would be long dead by now.” spoke Yugyeom at his side with an amused tilt on his voice. Jungkook snapped his head back to him so quickly his friend was sure the other must have hurt himself.

“What?” said Jungkook flatly, giving Yugyeom his usual poker face.

“Those two… Why are you looking at them like they have offended your family?” questioned the latter, signaling with his chin the couple laughing at some distance from them.

“I wasn’t-“ Jungkook was about to protest and say to his friend he was a blind idiot because he was for sure not looking at them, but he cut himself. There was no point in lying to Yugyeom, he had been caught already. “I just find them really gross. Being that loveydovey in public and all that .”

Yugyeom laughed loudly as he slapped him on the shoulder, eliciting a frown from his friend.

“What are you laughing at?” questioned Jungkook, dodging Yugyeom’s hand when it came up to slap him once again.

“if I didn’t know you better I would think you are just jealous.”

Jungkook glared at him suddenly a rush of anger awakening within him.

“Are you an idiot? Why would I be jealous? As if I gave two s about who Jimin bangs with.” spat Jungkook directing his furious induced eyes first to Yugyeom and then to the couple now chatting more calmly leaning on the lockers.

“Okay…” Said the latter upon witnessing Jungkook’s rage. Yugyeom saw there was something there that his best friend was desperately trying to hide from him. “What the is going on with you and that Jimin guy.”

“Nothing.” mumbled Jungkook way too quickly, eyes pointed to the floor and lips pursued in that angry pout he always did when something was obviously troubling him but didn’t want to share it with anyone else.

“Hey, seriously. Tell me what’s wrong.” kept pressing Yugyeom, brows furrowed in worry because he could perfectly see now that there was something related to Jimin that was bothering the latter. 

He observed Jungkook clench his jaw, he knew that he just needed to press a little bit harder and Jungkook would be spilling his problem. It always worked like that for them; whereas Yugyeom talked freely with the other about his problems and worries, Jungkook tended to keep quiet, all bottled up until he couldn’t take it anymore or Yugyeom urged him to explain.

“Okay.” said Jungkook finally. “I’m gonna tell you what’s wrong, but not here. Too many people.” and with this he grabbed his friend by the jacket and dragged him towards the stairs, cornering Yugyeom against the wall and pressing himself pretty close to him.

“Okay, so…” started Jungkook, stopping to his lips in a nervous habit. His hand reached up to scratch his neck and his eyes weren’t even looking up at Yungyeom. And that scared him a bit. 

“You remember I told you I hooked up with someone at the party we went at the start of the year, right?” Jungkook waited for the other to nod before continuing his talk. “Well, it was with Jimin.”

Yugyeom kept silent, giving his friend his most puzzled look.

“So?” he asked, and Jungkook rolled his eyes before taking a look around them to make sure no one was listening to them.

“And now Jimin is…you know” he continued, hoping that his friend would get the hint without the need of Jungkook saying it out loud.

“Yeah, but it’s been said it’s Taehyung’s…Oh.

“Yeah…”

Silence fell upon them, Yugyeom just stared at Jungkook with his mouth hanging open for what felt like forever before muttering a soft holy .

“So that’s why you were so angry? Because you and Jimin ed and he’s now with-“

“No.” cut Jungkook before his friend could say some stupidity.“I wasn’t angry at anything. I don’t care if he’s with Taehyung. I told Jimin already I’m not taking care of that baby anyways.”

“Wait,what the ? Why?” said his friend loudly, attracting some stares to them. Jungkook tried to shush him by covering his mouth but Yugyeom slapped his hand away and kept talking. “That baby is also yours.” he hissed. “You need to take responsibility also.”

“Why?” snapped Jungkook, now angry that his friend wasn’t supporting his choice. “We aren’t in a relationship, and Jimin seems to be doing perfectly fine without me.”

“Who cares if you are or not in a relationship? That baby is yours also, don’t you want to be part of it? It happened because both of you were stupid and irresponsible so, at least, be by his side during the pregnancy.”

“He has Taehyung.” replied Jungkook petulantly, obviously trying to hide how much that molested him. Yugyeom lifted a brow in surprise and then smirked at his friend, who was pouting slightly and a bit childly.

“So is that the problem? You are annoyed because Jimin has replaced you instead of begging to be with him?”

Jungkook buffed and crossed his arms across his chest. As if… He couldn’t care less about what Jimin did.

“Maybe you should go talk to him…” said Yugyeom then, making Jungkook look at him as if he just said the most stupid thing ever.

“There is nothing to talk about. We made clear that-“

You made clear that you don’t want anything to do with him or the baby. It sounds to me that Jimin had little to say in that.” cut Yugyeom with an accusatory finger pointing at Jungkook, and gave his most smug face when Jungkook shut his mouth when he didn’t come up with a retort.

They got quiet after that, Jungkook still pouting slightly like a little child who just got scolded for getting a cookie from the jar without permission. Yugyeom was just a little bit amused at the obvious jealousy Jungkook felt, even if he tried hard to deny it, but also worried for the big problem his friend carried on his shoulder. A baby wasn’t a joke.

“What is he planning to do with the baby?” asked Yugyeom, tone soft, almost like a whisper as to not attract unwanted attention.

“He told me he thought about adoption.” explained Jungkook with a soft voice after a minute of silence.

“Then what is the problem? You don’t want to?” questioned his friend carefully. He didn’t want to push too much now that Jungkook was opening up to him about the issue. The other just shrugged and bit his lip nervously.

“I don’t know, I’m just… scared. A baby is a big responsibility and I’m too young to be a parent but at the same time it saddens me to think that after my child is born I will be giving him or her to someone else.” confessed Jungkook. He started to feel his throat constrict with the urge to shed some tears, eyes starting to get red.

“And you think he’s not scared?” asked Yugyeom softly. “He’s going through the same, Jungkook. Probably even more than you because his hormones are all over the place and is getting fat and all that . He’s the one who has a person growing inside of him.”

Jungkook chuckled humorlessly at that, trying to hide the fact that he was about to cry. Yugyeom sighed and then passed his arm across Jungkook’s shoulders to force him into an embrace.

“It’s okay Gguk. Just talk to him and clear things up or you will regret it later.” Yugyeom patted his back and Jungkook rested his forehead on his friend’s neck.

He nodded, resignedly admitting defeat for this topic. He had felt angry and frustrated and scared and a whole lot of other emotions he couldn’t identify, but now, after talking with his friend, he had seen the situation form another point of view. He had been egoistically just thinking about himself and how this situation would affect his life, his image, and completely forgot -or ignored- that Jimin was also part of this and was probably feeling as troubled as him.

Yugyeom was right, he needed to talk to Jimin. Now he just needed to think a way to make Jimin listen to what he had to say.

 

 

✲✲✲✲

 

 

“You are avoiding me.”

Minjae quickly turned around, surprised by the deep voice that came from behind him that almost made him drop the books he was holding. Meanwhile Taehyung just stared at him with a blank face, waiting for Minjae to say something back.

“I’m not.” he simply answered, turning around once again to grab the book he needed for his next class before shutting his locker with a loud clank.

Taehyung snorted and then leaned on the locker next to Minjae’s to have a better view of the latter’s face.

“You are obviously avoiding me and I want to know what I’ve done that has obviously offended you so much.”

Minjae rolled his eyes and turned to start walking without giving Taehyung the answer to that question. He had never wanted to be one of those persons who blindly believed everything that others said, not wanting to contribute on the belief and spread of rumors. That’s why he didn’t want to believe, not even listen, to all those teens gushing about Taehyung being the father of Jimin’s about to be born child but after observing how they behaved, how close they were, he couldn’t stop himself form thinking that maybe they were right after all. And that maybe Taehyung had played him.

Taehyung stopped in front of him to prevent him from escaping and Minjae averted his eyes, not feeling strong enough to ignore the hurt in the latter’s face.

“Minjae…I want to apologize for what I’ve done wrong.” whined Taehyung, daring to take a step closer to the smaller boy. “But I want to know what I’m apologizing for.”

“Maybe to have lied to me.” snapped Minjae, furious gaze directed at a surprised Taehyung. Minjae was one to keep control of his emotions but seeing Taehyung playing the victim role of the situation infuriated him. 

“Lying? About what? I’ve never lied to you Minjae.” frowned Taehyung, arm lifting to touch the other but Minjae took a step back before it could make contact with him.

“About you being on a relationship already. I don’t like cheating and I don’t like being part of it either.”

“What the are you talking about?” asked confused Taehyung, and this just infuriated Minjae even more.

“About you and Jimin!” he said loudly hands lifting up on their own to push on Taehyung’s chest. “He’s pregnant and you are the father, right?“

“What?” mumbled Taehyung but Minjae didn’t hear it and kept talking.

“- I can’t believe I allowed this to happen. I would never kiss someone who has someone already-“

“Minjae…” 

“And to top it all you get your boyfriend pregnant and here I am, watching like a ing idiot from the side you two being so in love with each other and feeling jealous and frustrated because I like you but you have Jimin-“

Minjae cut his rambling when Taehyung grabbed him by the shoulders roughly to gain his attention.

“Don’t touch me.” growled Minjae, squirming and trying to get rid of Taehyung’s big hands on him.

“Are you ing insane?”  spat Taehyung in something between bewilderment and confusion. “I’m not the father of that baby nor I’m in a relationship with Jimin. , Minjae I lik-“

“And you keep lying to my face!” said the other in response. He should be ashamed for behaving like this, for allowing Taehyung blind his senses to the point to make him lose control of his emotions and actions.

“I’m not lying to you!” Said Taehyung loudly, frustration getting the best out of him. Why wasn’t Minjae listening?

“Do you really want me to believe you and Jimin aren’t together? I’ve seen how you act around each other… I should go tell him you cheated on him that night, that you kissed me, you .” he ranted with a shaky voice. He was on the verge of tears due frustration and anger, but he refused to cry in front of Taehyung; a brat like him didn’t deserve Minjae’s tears.

“Minjae, listen to me will you?” pleaded Taehyung with a desperate tilt on his voice, one hand cupping the other’s face. “I kissed you because I like you and you don’t have to go tell Jimin anything because he knows already since he’s my best friend and I tell him everything.”  he explained slowly, wanting Minjae to listen and comprehend the situation. “I don’t know where that came from, but I can assure you that Jimin and I aren’t together nor I’m the father of his baby… If you don’t believe me go ask him.”

Minjae kept silent, not expecting at all for Taehyung to say that. Was it a good idea? Should he go ask personally Jimin about the situation or should he just ignore Taehyung and try to like someone else who wouldn’t lie on his face?

The real question was: was Taehyung really lying to him?

He studied his face, the slight furrow of his eyebrows, his wide and wavering eyes full of anxiety and hope for Minjae to believe his words. It didn’t look like the face of a liar. But not all liars were obvious when they spoke fake words, either.

“What do I have to do for you to believe me?” asked Taehyung daring to take a step closer to the other and completely invading his personal space. He was too close for Minjae’s liking, he was tempted to push the other back but the bit of rational sense he still had disappeared once Taehyung’s cologne invaded his nostrils, brain traveling back in time to that night in which they kissed each other passionately.

He leaned closer to him unconsciously watching with his heart on his throat as Taehyung his smirking lips. Minjae was so ed, Taehyung had him putty on his hands and he knew it.

“I like you a lot.” whispered Taehyung, gravelly voice making the other shiver and let out a shaky breath. “I want you to believe me, I only have eyes for you…”

Minjae lifted his eyes from the other’s lips, locking on Taehyung’s warm chocolate orbs that spoke louder than his voice would ever. He saw it then, the honesty of his words hidden on his eyes; but Minjae still felt betrayed, there was that little voice inside his head screaming to doubt the other. After all Taehyung and Jimin seemed really close…

He forced himself to put distance between them, enjoying for a split second the frown that appeared on Taehyung’s brow at that and counted down from five before speaking, mildly scolding himself for almost falling for Taehyung’s words.

“I’m not that sure…” spoke Minjae, adjusting his bag on his shoulder. “You two behave like a couple and… I don’t know-“ he shrugged, sending to the other a stare charged with coldness, “-It’s hard to believe you aren’t a couple when you go around the school patting Jimin’s tummy like a proud dad- , you even come and leave school together every single day!”

Taehyung sighed deeply, shoulders hunching forward in a sad posture before groaning loudly as his hands lifted to mess up with his brown hair. He was starting to go mad, this whole situation was insane.

“He’s my best friend” he whined, his arms falling limp at both his sides, and he knew he probably looked like an idiot with his brown locks pointing everywhere. “It’s not my place to tell you about Jimin’s condition right now without his consent… I’m just helping my best friend.”

Minjae snorted and crossed his arms across his chest, Taehyung’s words only increased more his doubts.

“That just plays against you.” he spat angrily and Taehyung released a sound that sounded a lot like a sad puppy. 

“Just talk with Jimin.” pleaded Taehyung, using both his hands to grab the other’s shoulders firmly. “Please Minjae… I would never lie to you.”

Minjae stayed silent for minute, the gears of his brain working at full speed considering the idea.

“I don’t know you enough to make sure you aren’t lying to me.” stated Minjae. He was starting to feel like a recorded tape, repeating himself all over again. But then Taehyung had the nerve to make puppy eyes at him, bottom lip slightly puckered out in a sad pout and Minjae couldn’t help but succumb a bit to that.

“Okay…” he sighed out tiredly and Taehyung perked up at that. If he were a real puppy Minjae was sure he would be able to see Taehyung’s tail waggling excitedly. “I will go talk to Jimin. Alone.” he stated and Taehyung nodded quickly with a big smile.

“Thank you!” he exclaimed, grabbing Minjae’s hands with his own, the latter blushing at the contact. “Come to me once everything is cleared out, okay? We have to talk about all of this.”

Minjae nodded, gulping nervously as he pried his hands away from Taehyung’s grasp a bit unwillingly. Taehyung’s hand felt so warm and soft on his own.

 

 

✲✲✲✲

 

 

Jungkook felt like a creep, watching from the corner, body hidden by the wall, as Jimin struggled to hold his bag open while trying to grab some books. It was easy to see his navel had grown considerably big during the last couple of months and wasn’t as graceful as before to move around. 

Jungkook’s gut churned nervously watching as the fabric of Jimin’s oversized sweater  got stuck with one of the straps of his bag, making more prominent the bulge.

He sighed deeply, considering turning around and go to his next class. He would be ten minutes early, and everyone would look at him weirdly once the rest of his classmates entered the class upon witnessing the always-almost-late Jungkook already sat and patiently waiting for the teacher to arrive. But, after snooping around, he discovered this was Jimin’s free hour. So basically, this was his only chance to speak to him knowing Jimin would have no excuse to not listen to him. Or, at least, he hoped so.

Also, just imagining the disappointed look his best friend would shoot at him if he didn’t talk to Jimin Jungkook couldn’t bare run away like a coward.

He could handle this, he was an adult. That was what he always told his mother when she patted his head or pinched his cheek adoringly, and she would always release an amused chuckle followed by “be a kid while you can dear, it won’t last forever”. And now, facing parenthood with seventeen springs on his shoulders he could see how accurate were those words.

He had been thinking what to say to Jimin for days until his head ached -killing some neurons on the process, maybe-, always coming empty handed without any clue how to approach the other teen. The encounter with the other felt scarier than anything he had ever faced on his almost-eighteen years of life, and that just made him feel even more stupid because he was the almighty Jeon Jungkook; the Jeon Jungkook that made people turn their heads while crossing paths on the halls because of how confidently he walked; the Jeon Jungkook who played basketball with a concentrated frown and eyes focused on his opponents, crossing the court from side to side without losing the ball, shooting points for his team, winning competitions and collecting trophies to brag about later.

The Jeon Jungkook who behaved like a total to someone just because he was scared, and too proud to admit it.

He sighed again, and Jimin closed his locker’s door with a soft clank, locked it and started to walk to the opposite direction to where Jungkook was hiding. It was now or never, so without thinking about it twice Jungkook stepped out from his safety spot and jogged to the other.

He walked a couple of steps behind him until he felt brave enough to tap his shoulder and Jimin turned around with a questioning gaze that transformed into a frown at seeing Jungkook.

“Uh, hey” said Jungkook very coherently. Did his voice crack? Wow, way to go Jeon.

Jimin stared up blankly at him, and Jungkook noted, now that he could observe him more closely, that his cheeks looked a bit more puffed, rounded, probably because of his pregnant state. He had to admit Jimin quite pretty and cute.

Jimin turned around and continued walking as if his path hadn’t been interrupted and Jungkook hurried to catch up with him.

“A-Ah, wait!” Jungkook rested a gentle hand on Jimin’s elbow to stop him from walking any further but Jimin moved it back from him as if the touch had burned his skin. “I want to talk with you.”

“Why?” asked Jimin, brown eyes sending draggers to him and brows furrowed deeply. It was obvious how angered the other was at him, but Jungkook couldn’t help but think that expression looked cute on the other. “To insult me again? I think I’ve had enough humiliation for this year, thank you.”

Jimin moved his leg to start on walking again but Jungkook cut his way by stepping in front of him.

“No, I just- It’s about-“ he signaled Jimin’s navel with vague gestures, and Jimin frowned, hand lifting unconsciously to rest above his rounded tummy as if he was trying to protect the baby from Jungkook. And maybe that had hurt Jungkook’s feelings a bit.

“I think we should talk thoroughly about this situation-“

“I tried to, if I remember correctly.” cut Jimin with a cold voice. Jungkook tried to not physically flinch by the tone directed at him.

“I know, I just- I’ve been thinking and…” Jungkook sighed, forcing his brain to think a way to make Jimin stop frowning at him. “I think we have to clear things up.”

Jimin considered it for a minute, looking directly at Jungkook with big eyes and teeth playing with his bottom lip until a defeated breath parted its way through it.

“Okay.”

 

 

They made their way to the back of the school, near the football pitch. At this hour everyone was on class or at the library, so no one would find them there nor interrupt them.

Jimin dropped his bag on the floor, rolling his shoulders softly to ease the tension on them while sitting on a knee-high wall that lead to a bunch of stairs. Probably his back was hurting because of the added weight of the baby, or so Jungkook imagined.

The air was a bit chilly, April tended to be less cold with spring around the corner, but the day was cloudy enough to use a sweater. At least they wouldn’t freeze to death while they talked.

“So, uhm…” Jungkook didn’t know where to begin with. His hand lifted to scratch the back of his neck and his eyes moved down to Jimin’s moving legs as to not feel intimidated by Jimin’s piercing gaze. Jungkook had never felt so vulnerable and weak in front of someone, he had always been raised with the mentality of never showing weakness, always confident and powerful so your enemy wouldn’t take advantage of those. But Jimin wasn’t his enemy; Jimin, with the appropriate words, would be his ally.

“Look, I know I acted like an the last time we talked.” He ignored Jimin’s snort and kept talking. “But you caught me by surprise and I didn’t know how to react.”

“Excuses.” spat Jimin. His face was blank, relaxed, but his eyes were dark with coldness and anger, and all directed at the taller male. “You think it didn’t caught me off guard? It has put my life upside down, you know? I’m the one carrying this baby.” he said, tinny hand going to rest atop his navel again.

It looked cute, almost beautiful, the contrast of his tinny hand with his rounded tummy. But Jungkook thought it wouldn’t play on his side to say that out loud right now.

“I know… That’s why… I should apologize.” that surprised him. His pride had never allowed Jungkook to apologize to anyone, but this situation required it if he was really willing to do things properly. “So… yeah, I’m sorry.”

“Maybe I would accept that if it didn’t sound like someone forced you to do it.” mumbled Jimin, fingers tapping on his tummy some made-up rhythm. Jungkook sighed.

“I’m sorry for being a complete to you Jimin. I was selfish and didn’t even give you a chance to speak.” This time he said the words with his eyes glued to Jimin’s own, hoping the other would see he was being genuine.

“Thanks” mumbled Jimin, darting his eyes away from the other, suddenly feeling shy under Jungkook’s piercing eyes that were holding so much emotion.

Jungkook took that as forgiveness and allowed himself to relax a bit.

“That was it?” asked softly Jimin, his hand now moving up and down his belly in a soft gesture.

“You are getting pretty big.” blurted out Jungkook without thinking, but once his words sunk in and saw the offended look Jimin portrayed on his face he hurried to explain himself. “I mean, not that you are getting fat- Just- your belly has grown a lot and- it’s big-“

“Well, of course it’s big, a person is growing inside me…” barfed Jimin. He worried his bottom lip with his front teeth. He knew he was getting a bit fat and it was something that worried him since day one, and despite making the biggest effort to follow strictly the diet the doctor gave him he couldn’t help succumb to the need of craving some sweets or a greasy meal from time to time. Taehyung offering him burgers more times than not didn’t help either.

“I didn’t mean it in a bad way!” hurried to defend Jungkook, panicking upon witnessing the scowl on Jimin’s face. “I- I think you look good…”

Jimin glanced at him shyly, bitting his lip trying to hide his smile and Jungkook felt proud of himself for making the other’s scowl tone down a bit.

“Thank you…”

Silence fell upon them again, Jimin just sitting there caressing his belly and Jungkook observing him with all his attention. He knew Jimin was good looking, beautiful even, but the pregnancy was giving him a different aura, almost making him glow prettily; his slightly-rounded cheeks make him look softer, jaw a bit less sharp, over all his already cute face looked even more adorable. Jungkook’s eyes travelled a bit down, focusing on the other’s thighs, remembering how those felt on his hands that night they were together, and wondered if now they would feel as squishy as before. Maybe a bit better, considering they looked a bit less thin than then. It was clear Jimin had gained some weight, but Jungkook thought he truly looked beautiful.

He cleared his throat, dissipating those thoughts before they could develop any further.

“How far along are you?”  Jungkook didn’t know why he was talking so low, voice almost a whisper; maybe it was because Jimin seemed more relaxed with him after his apologize and he didn’t want to ruin the mood again.

“I’m on my seventeenth week.” replied Jimin, chuckling when Jungkook paused to mentally count how much that was. “Almost five months already.”

“Oh…” Jungkook nodded. The atmosphere was getting awkward once again and he knew he had limited time before Jimin would decide he had talked enough with him and was willing to leave. But Jungkook still had things to say and ask, so it was better to swallow down his fears and start talking once for all. Jimin seemed less opposed to talk to Jungkook and he needed to take benefit of that.

“Have you thought about what to do once the baby is born? I mean- Are you considering adoption?”

Jimin exhaled slowly, eyes moving down to his belly. He had been thinking hard about it, honestly. It was something that took hours of sleep from him almost every night and still didn’t know what he was supposed to do. He guessed having a conversation with someone rational, or more mature than him, would help him make a decision, that’s why he sat down one afternoon with Taehyung’s mother to talk thoroughly about it for hours, but they hit dead end anyways.

Just choose what you think is better for you and the baby.”

But that was easier said than done.

“I don’t know yet.” he said sincerely and heard Jungkook hum in response. “I’ve been thinking about it but… I don’t know- it’s hard to think about getting rid of a baby that I’ve been taking care of for nine months so easily…” he shrugged, feeling his throat starting to close in a knot. It happened every time the issue was brought to conversation, anxiety and fear for the future days consuming every pore of his body.

“I know how you feel…” said Jungkook hesitantly. He moved to sit next to the other, pleased when Jimin didn’t move away from him despite sitting too close to each other. “I’ve been thinking the same, to be honest.”

Jungkook gave a small and a bit sad smile to Jimin when he peeked up at him from under his fringe.

“But…I don’t know if I’m ready to be a parent so soon.” continued Jimin, voice trembling. His fingers curled atop his tummy, catching the fabric of his sweater between them and Jungkook observed from the side not really sure if Jimin would accept a reassuring touch coming from him. “I don’t know what I’m gonna do once I graduate school… I know I want to keep studying, maybe something related to animals since I like them a lot but I don’t know. I want to try things but a kid would make it more difficult.”

Jungkook nodded silently, listening to the other’s worries with genuine interest. It was reasonable for the other to feel like that, so anxious. Jungkook was lucky that he had already decided on a path to follow since a young age, not everyone could say the same, and he had parents willing to support him through all the process. Going to Law school had always been his dream, to be a lawyer just like his parents, and make it big on the industry to put the name Jeon even more higher on the list.

“What does… Taehyung think about it?” he managed to ask without sounding totally sour when the name slipped through his lips. Jimin frowned up at him with a confused face.

“He just said he will support me whatever I choose. Why are you asking?”

“Well, he… He’s okay with you having the baby of another dude?” questioned Jungkook, eyes watching his own fingers play with the seam of his jeans. He heard a snort at his side and looked up to see Jimin sending an amused grin at him.

“Why wouldn’t he?”

“Well, I wouldn’t like my boyfriend having the baby of another man.” said Jungkook. Jimin laughed loudly, squeaky sound sounding clear in the silence that enveloped them, and Jungkook couldn’t help but crack a smile of his own despite not knowing what the other was laughing at. Jimin’s laugh was contagious.

“Taehyung is not- Are you ing serious?” Jimin kept laughing, eyes sparkling with unshed tears of amusement. Jungkook found himself thinking that Jimin looked best with glinting eyes and mouth parted in a happy smile. “Taehyung is not my boyfriend… Damn, that would be so gross.”

Jungkook snapped back to reality with those words.

“He’s not? but I thought- you two look like a couple.” he stuttered awkwardly and Jimin chuckled a bit more before shaking his head.

“He’s just my best friend. Besides, he has someone he likes…” explained Jimin with a mischievous smile, telling Jungkook there was something about it that amused him a lot. “He’s just helping me…”

“Helping you? How?” questioned Jungkook. Jimin looked amused by his questions, making Jungkook feel a bit embarrassed for asking so much.

“Why do you want to know? Suddenly so interested in my life…” Teased Jimin with a big smirk on his lips. It seemed he was enjoying so much Jungkook’s embarrassment.

“I just- I don’t know, I thought that if I’m willing to be with you during the pregnancy I have to know you better.”

“You want to- why now?” asked bewildered Jimin. He wasn’t expecting such a sudden change in attitude from Jungkook.

“Someone made me release I was looking at it selfishly.” he said, shyness getting the best out of him for a second. He hated feeling vulnerable and open for others to see, and Jimin seemed to be able to bring out this side of him easily, but at the same time he felt comfortable being like this with the other, as if Jimin could take care of him on his most vulnerable state without judging him. “I’m not the only one suffering this… Actually you are the one going through it and since it was also my fault I feel the need to help you out.”

Jimin stared at him silently, musing the words and analyzing them on his head. Probably judging if Jungkook was being sincere or not.

“I appreciate that…” mumbled Jimin after half a minute of silence. “But you don’t need to do it if it’s such a big problem for you. Taehyung and his family are helping me a lot and I guess that’s enough.”

“No, I mean- I want to really help you and be by your side.” explained Jungkook. “I want to help you chose what to do and be someone you can rely on.”

Jimin looked up at him, insecurity still swimming on his eyes.

“I guess we can try…” Jimin’s eyes kept locked on him, and Jungkook couldn’t help but smile a bit as Jimin seemed to be more at ease with Jungkook by his side. “But it’s not like we are friends suddenly. You hurt my feelings pretty bad and it will be hard for me to trust you.” he clarified quickly, making Jungkook deflate a bit.

“Yeah, I get it…” mumbled Jungkook, nodding and lips curving up in a gentle smile.

“Let’s keep this to ourselves for now and see how things go.” Jungkook nodded again, hoping that his eagerness was visible for the other and Jimin would trust him soon enough.

He wanted to amend his mistakes and the best he could do was to be a helping hand to the other, a shoulder to hold on. And somehow, not really knowing why, the knowledge that Taehyung wasn’t Jimin’s boyfriend served as encouragement to try harder to win Jimin’s trust.

 

 

✲✲✲✲

 

 

 

Two deep conversations in a row weren’t on the list of how the afternoon would end for Jimin.

First Jungkook, with his big doe eyes asking for forgiveness and trying to make Jimin succumb for his charms. And he was not going to this time. Because the last time he allowed his defenses go down when the other was around he ended up pregnant and hurt, and he has had enough problems to deal with since then.

But something about the way Jungkook looked at him told Jimin that he was being genuine, that he really realized that it was a serious problem to deal with alone.

And then Minjae. Kim Minjae.

The same Kim Minjae Taehyung talked about non stop, with his big curious eyes, brown fluffy hair and dimpled smile, now sitting across from Jimin with a bit of insecurity mixed with frustration and maybe confusion on his eyes expectantly waiting for Jimin to answer his question.

“Excuse me?” he mumbled, blinking owlishly at the taller one. “Could you repeat that?”

Minjae shifted on his seat, nervousness flowing off him in big waves, and Jimin couldn’t help but think how cute he was. No doubt Taehyung was so whipped.

Minjae had dragged him to a café near school when Jungkook finally left Jimin alone to go to class. The taller one caught Jimin when he was about to step on the library, mumbling something about needing to talk to him about Taehyung. Jimin agreed only because he knew Taehyung wouldn’t forgive him if he ignored the future father of his children as he described him. So after internally groaning in frustration for another lost opportunity at studying a little he allowed the other to take him out of school. Was everyone plotting on making him fall his exam?

“I said, that if it’s true you and Taehyung are a couple.”

And that made Jimin frown. Because why the hell everyone asked that? First Jungkook and now Minjae. Was the world going insane?

“Ew, no.” he answered blatantly, quickly trying to correct himself after seeing the frown that appeared on Minjae’s eyebrows. “He’s just my friend…”

“Yeah? And why do you always look so close to each other?” inquired Minjae, rising a defiant eyebrow at Jimin. His tone sounded defensive, demanding, and Jimin found amusing the jealousy hidden on those words. Taehyung would be thrilled to know.

“Because he’s my best friend?” Jimin was really trying not to laugh at Minjae, it wouldn’t ease the other’s anger, but it was hard watching Minjae failing at hiding his jealousy. “We’ve been pretty close since kids, we meet at kindergarten and been inseparable since then.” he explained casually, as if he wasn’t talking about his fifteen years of amazing friendship with Taehyung.

Minjae nodded, lips pursued in thought. Jimin took a sip of his banana and strawberry milkshake as his eyes studied Minjae’s expression.

“Is he the father, then?” asked the other so softly that if Jimin hand’t leant forward he wouldn’t have heard it.

“No.” was the simple answer but thought that Minjae wouldn’t have enough with the monosyllable. Jimin sighed before speaking again. “Look, I don’t know where you got that me and Taehyung are together but I can assure you it’s not true. He’s like- I don’t know, like my brother, and I love him a lot but not in that way.” he finished softly.

Minjae was frowning even more deeply, and he seemed troubled because of the information Jimin was giving him.

“Everyone at school say you two are together and that he’s the father…” said then Minjae. “and you two go to and from school together every day, it’s hard not to believe it.”

Jimin mulled for a split second if it was a good idea to tell Minjae the whole story. He didn’t know the other, and maybe Minjae was only thirsty for some gossip and would spread word once he told him his problems; Jimin could never be sure. But the taller one looked truly concerned about it, and Jimin loved Taehyung so much to ruin something that could make his best friend happy.

“That’s because I’m staying with him and before you start imagining things let me explain, okay?” he waited for MInjae to nod to keep talking. “Okay, so… My parents are on the conservative side and didn’t take well I got pregnant by someone that wasn’t even my boyfriend.” he explained a bit ashamed. It felt weird admit out loud what of a mess of family he had. “Taehyung took me under his wing, he and his family, so I’m staying with them until I can fend for myself and find a place to stay or something.”

“Your parents kicked you out?” asked dumbfounded Minjae. It truly caught him off guard Jimin was in such situation; he knew his parents would be supportive and help him out as much as possible if it were Minjae who was on Jimin’s place.

“Yeah… They thought I was a disgrace for the family or something.” he shrugged one shoulder to show nonchalance, but it was evident how much his parents’ indifference towards him had hurt. “They don’t think abortion is a practical solution so they wouldn’t give me the consent I needed to do it since I’m a minor but they weren’t willing to help me either and very kindly asked me to leave…”

Minjae didn’t know what to say. He had misjudged everything and had treated both Taehyung and Jimin poorly just because he allowed gossip to manipulate his rational thinking.

“I’m sorry.” he blurted out, not only feeling bad for Jimin, but also apologizing for how much he hated the other secretly glaring at him when Jimin crossed his path.

“It’s okay.” laughed off Jimin, waving a hand dismissively at him. “I’m not going to be angry at you if you promise me one thing.”

“Okay.” he agreed quickly, nodding his head and making Jimin chuckle. “What is it?”

“That you are going to take good care of Taehyung. He’s an idiot almost all the time, but he’s a sweet and lovely idiot.”

Minjae gulped nervously because of the stern look on Jimin’s face, friendliness disappeared behind a mask of seriousness.

“I will… I like him a lot.” he admitted shyly and Jimin smiled once again at him before taking a long sip of his milkshake.

“I think I like you already.” he chuckled and Minjae laughed with him. It seemed he and Jimin were going to get along well.

 

 

✲✲✲✲

 

 

“Why is he here?” asked Taehyung in what sounded a lot like a growl. Jimin sighed tiredly for what felt like the umpteenth time that afternoon and stared up at his friend whose eyes were busy glaring at Jungkook.

“I invited him.” 

“He’s not coming with us.” declared Taehyung, raising his eyebrows in defiance at Jungkook who stood a few steps aways from them, jaw clenched shut and fists curled in anger at the way Taehyung was acting with him.

“It’s not you who decides that.” spat Jungkook, smirking pleased when Taehyung made an attempt to get closer to him with a fisted hand but Jimin stopped him.

“You shut up.” said Jimin, scolding Jungkook with a frown. “And you calm down.” he said then to Taehyung, who seemed pretty willing to punch the life out of Jungkook.

“How could you invite him? He has no right to be her-“

“Taehyung.” cut Jimin, small hand firmly pressing on his chest. “We talked about it already…”

“Yeah, and I said I don’t trust him.”

“It’s not you who I have to impress.” said Jungkook and this only infuriated Taehyung even more, nostrils flaring like a dragon about to spit fire. Jungkook laughed at how ridiculous he looked.

“You are a ing ! You think because you say a couple of sorry words everything is solved.” growled out Taehyung, stepping aside Jimin’s body to shorten the distance between Jungkook and himself. “Jimin has been indulgent with you but I won’t.”

“Jimin said to come, and here I am. I don’t see the problem here.” countered back Junkook. He wouldn’t mind crossing some punches with Taehyung if the other was willing as it looked like. “And I couldn’t ing care less if you trust me or not.”

Taehyung stepped forward, Jungkook taking one of his own also, barely inches apart from each other and they both knew that only one more word and they would punch each other.

“Okay, I’ve had enough of your macho attitude.” said Jimin, putting himself between the two males and separating them with harsh shoves on each of their chests. “I’m tired and my back hurts and I don’t think you wanna deal with an angry pregnant teen.”

Both boys huffed annoyed, mumbling some blasphemies directed at the other and Jimin rolled his eyes annoyed at their childish behavior.

“He’s coming with us, okay?” tried Jimin a bit more gently. “At least let him in to talk with Doctor Kim for any questions he may have.”

Taehyung clenched his jaw in ager. He was infuriated by how easily Jimin seemed to have forgiven the other, and Jungkook standing in front of him with a pleased smirk wasn’t helping Taehyung control his fury.

“Okay.” he gave in finally, because Jimin was looking at up at him with a with soft puppy eyes, and Taehyung was weak. “But he’s sitting the farthest away from me-“

“As if would be willing to seat near you, dumb .”

“And I don’t want him to talk to me either.”  continued Taehyung, ignoring completely the other’s remark.

Jimin nodded and turned to Jungkook to send him a pointed look, silently asking him to behave. Jungkook simply rolled his eyes with his arms crossed on his broad chest and gave the shorter one a curt nod. Jimin sighed relieved, it was safe for now.

He wanted Jungkook to come for today’s routinely visit to the doctor as a test, to give the other a chance to show if he was being serious when he told Jimin he wanted to stay by his side during pregnancy. He needed Taehyung to support him on this also, but he also understood his friend’s reticence to allow Jungkook near them, that’s why he wasn’t pushing him too much. He was happy if both boys just behaved civilly, especially in front of the doctor.

And just as Taehyung asked for, Jungkook sat far away from him, Jimin sitting in the middle, observing as both boys tried to ignore each other.

“I see you brought more company today.” said Doctor Kim, large smile parting his mouth. Jimin didn’t know if it was because of her friendly nature or because she sensed the tense atmosphere between the other two males.

“Ah, yes…” he chuckled nervously. He sent Jungkook a furtive glance, hesitating on telling the doctor that he was the actual father or keep that to himself. He didn’t know if Jungkook was willing to share such information. 

“How have you been these days?” she changed subjects quickly, and Jimin knew then that she was quick on sensing awkwardness.

“Hm… good. Just my back hurts a bit after so many hours standing or walking.” he explained, the doctor nodding her head while scribbling on the papers resting on her desk. “Nauseas have stopped, for now, but I have the urge to pee a lot…”

The doctor chuckled, showing a row of white teeth and eyes disappearing adoringly.

“That’s normal, the baby is occupying a lot of space inside you and makes pressure on you internal organs, especially the urethra since it’s pretty close to the area where the baby is.” she explained, smile never leaving . Jimin saw her eyes going to Taehyung and then to Jungkook briefly to end on Jimin once again, and the corner of her lips tugged upwards when she failed to suppress her smile. Jimin couldn’t contain his lips from moving upwards also.

The other two were so silent it was as if they weren’t even there. Both sitting stiffly on their chairs and looking at every direction but at the doctor or at each other. It was so ridiculous Jimin just wanted to laugh.

“We are going to run some ultrasounds, as always.” she said standing from her chair and Jimin imitated her, more slowly since he wasn’t that nimble and started to his pants while going to the bed pressed to the wall. He laid back there, rolling his shirt up so his navel would be shown and observed calmly as Doctor Kim dropped some of the cold gel on his skin as the machine was getting ready.

On the other side of the room Taehyung was observing Jungkook, whose attention was fixed on Jimin, mouth slightly parted and eyes wide. He was impressed to see the bulge formed on Jimin’s navel, so round and firm but at the same time looking soft and vulnerable. It made his heart race.

“Do you want to see up close?” asked the doctor to no one in particular, but Jungkook assumed it was directed at him, so he nodded and approached the bed with cautious steps. Once he was close enough to see the screen the doctor moved her hand so the full form of the baby could be seen. Jungkook in and hold his breath, battling his eyelids quickly as tears started to form there. That was his baby, his first ever child, and it was beautiful.

He jumped startled when he felt fingers brush his own and looked down to lock gazes with Jimin, who looked up at him with sparkling eyes and a soft smile. He also looked beautiful.

“Do you want to know the of the baby?” asked the doctor, her sweet voice snapping both boys out of their little moment. 

Jimin didn’t respond, not sure if it was a good idea to know. He didn’t know what he was going to do with the baby yet and he was afraid to get attached to him or her and make separation more difficult in case he wanted to chose adoption.

“Yes.” whispered Jungkook eyes fixed on the screen as his fingers made their way between Jimin’s to squeeze his hand in a firm hold. Jimin’s breath hitched, not expecting at all Jungkook’s movement.

Doctor Kim moved the transducer a bit before staying still for a second with her eyes trained on the screen and then she turned around to give them one of her wide smiles.

“It’s a girl.” she announced and Jungkook bit his lip to contain his happiness. He wasn’t one to think a lot about his future, how it would be to be married and have kids, but one thing he had always known for sure was that he wanted to have a baby girl. A princess he could spoil, braid her hair, play with her to whatever she asked to and be her hero. And that dream came true thanks to Jimin.

“Have you thought any names?” she asked witnessing Jungkook’s smile. She took away the transducer from Jimin’s tummy and grabbed a cloth to clean off all the sticky gel softly.

“We haven’t” replied Jimin after his lips. His eyes never left Jungkook’s, captivated by how they sparkled in happiness at seeing their baby on the screen.

“Well, you still have time.” she chuckled and then offered a still stunned Jungkook a piece of paper. “Here, her first photo.”

Jungkook laughed breathlessly, taking with shaking hands the pic offered to him. She was so tinny; he could see her head and arms and legs, all pretty much formed and curled on herself. He never though he would cry for things like this; but here he was, an emotional mess.

The rest of the meeting felt like a blur for Jungkook, he couldn’t tear away his eyes from the pic showing his daughter. He only snapped out of if when Jimin’s warm and gentle fingers touched his.

“You okay?” he asked softly. Jungkook saw Taehyung walking some steps in front of them and he was thankful the other hadn’t laughed at him when he saw Jungkook almost cry.

“Yeah, I just- It surprised me. I didn’t expect her to look like this…” he mumbled still a bit fazed, his hands holding delicately the paper as if it were going to break. Jimin’s mouth curled up in a gentle smile and tilted his head down, focusing on the sidewalk on his feet.

“Do you…” Jimin started hesitantly, his right hand holding his tummy and the fingers of the other got caught with Jungkook’s. “Do you have a name?”

“I- yeah.” he blabbered with a blush creeping up its way across the apple of his cheeks. Jimin chuckled, lifting his eyes to his with amusement.

“Really? Tell me.” 

“Hyejin.”

Jimin nodded with lips pursued in thought.

“Hmm, I like it.” he said and the hand resting on his belly smoothed down the curvature softly. “Hyejin.”

Jungkook had to admit the name sounded even more beautiful coming from Jimin’s mouth. 

 

 

 

✲✲✲✲

 

 

Despite Jungkook’s promise to stay by Jimin during his pregnancy he still maintained himself distanced from him during school hours.

Taehyung had glared at him the previous day when they locked gazes at the canteen, Jimin looking at the other with expectant eyes and probably thinking he would go sit with them but, instead, he tilted his head down, ignoring completely the other two, and made a bee line towards the table occupied by his friends, almost all of them also from the basketball team.

It wasn’t like he was backing up form his promise, it was just that Jungkook didn’t want the entire school to know he was the father. At least, not yet. It was none of their business. 

Besides, suddenly approaching the other two or sitting with them for lunch would be suspicious; He and Jimin had never interacted before, on everyone’s eyes they were complete strangers, so Jungkook being friendly with them would catch everyone’s attention.

And all that sounded like bad excuses even to himself. The truth was he was completely terrified of what people would think of him. He didn’t want to get judged by everyone, didn’t want to answer awkward questions like why wasn’t he in a relationship with Jimin, or why he had been so stupid as to have unprotected with someone like Jimin or bull like that. He wasn’t ready to argue with everyone that he didn’t need to be on a relationship with Jimin despite the other being pregnant with his baby.

The worst of this was, though, the disappointed stare Jimin wore when Jungkook walked past them, and that made Jungkook feel terribly bad. Since their visit to the doctor they had been hanging around together more frequently outside school, and Jungkook learnt that under his shyness and awkwardness the shorter male was pretty joyful and cheerful, and a complete dork. He nagged a lot at Taehyung, both friends getting entangled on stupid arguments that ended with the two almost screaming at each other on the face and laughing a second later. Spending time together was making him start to grow fond of Jimin and his perky personality. And it seemed Jimin was opening up at him also, slowly and carefully.

He and Taehyung still had disputes from time to time, the brunette made clear Jungkook wouldn’t put a foot on his house when Jimin brought up in conversation he was staying with the Kims. He wanted to know the reason why Jimin was staying with them but they changed topics quickly. And Jungkook didn’t mind, he could just meet up with Jimin after school.

Jungkook groaned, his arm muscles burning, his legs begging him to stop moving, but he couldn’t. He had the basketball court all for himself and needed to stress out, get rid of the tension and frustration that were making his shoulders weight a ton lately.

He threw the ball to the hoop, the ball bouncing on the metal a couple of times before getting through the hole smoothly. He was sweating profusely, his clothes stuck disgustingly to his skin but it felt so good. He liked to think that later, when he took a shower, all his worries would be washed away along with the sweat and dirt.

It was stupid, it didn’t really solve his problems, but it gave him some minutes of relax.

When he got home that evening his mother was already at the kitchen, the smell of fried vegetables invaded Jungkook’s nostrils and internally groaned. He was in the mood for some noodles, but that would have to wait until everyone was asleep and he could sneak out of his room for a night snack.

He went to the kitchen to greet his mother, and stood at the door surprised to find his dad also there, sitting with a relaxed posture on a chair reading the newspaper, glasses hanging low on his nose. It wasn’t usual for his dad to be so soon at home, and that should have made the alert warning start ringing on his head, but he was so tired to even question anything.

“Hey.” he said as greetings. Her mother turned her head around her shoulder, dressed in a pair of old trousers and a overly used t-shirt, comfortable but still classy, and raised a brow at her son.

“You came so late.” she said, grabbing a rag to clean her hands while completely turning around to face him, her husband folding the newspaper and letting it rest on the table.

“Yeah, I had training until late.” he said half a lie. It was true he had been playing basketball after all. “Gonna go shower.”

“Okay, but once you are finished come downstairs immediately, we need to talk.” and with that she turned around again to keep cooking.

Jungkook went upstairs, eyebrows furrowed in confusion at the previous talk but didn’t gave any more thought to it and went to take his very-well deserved shower. And just as he thought it will, the shower relaxed his muscles, the fog provided by the warm water putting his mind on a state of limbo.

When he came downstairs dinner was ready, served on the big table set beautifully. His dad had quite exquisite taste for furniture and decoration, taking care of every single detail to make everything look flawless; even the tablecloth was beautiful to Jungkook’s eyes.

He sat in front of his parents and without any thought started shoving food to his mouth. He knew he eat like a pig sometimes, but as his grandmother always said he was in that age to grow strong and tall, so it didn’t worry him that much.

“How is school going?” asked his mother, gentle tone as always. Jungkook didn’t even lift his head and hummed as response while he swallowed the lump of food on his mouth.

“Good, I’m studying all I can for finals… You know it gets pretty busy later on the end of semester and I want to have all the time to prepare for law school.” he said, shoving away the tinny pieces of pepper. His mother thought that by cutting them really small he wouldn’t notice them.

“And you aren’t preparing for prom? Isn’t this the time of the year that everyone gets so excited preparing their dresses and all that stuff?” she asked casually, furrowing her eyebrows at seeing Jungkook’s plate full of slices of pepper.

“I don’t know if I’m going.” he replied honestly. The truth was that he was so busy training and studying and now taking care of Jimin that going to prom didn’t even cross his thoughts.

“Oh, no special someone to invite?”

Jungkook lifted his head then, confusedly staring at his mother who was blinking big curious eyes at him while his father snorted and shook his head, amused at how the conversation was developing.

“Uhm, no…” he answered unsure. Somehow the look his mother was giving him, scrutiny at its finest, made him squirm a bit on his seat.

Her eyebrow twitched upwards for a second, and Jungkook dropped the fork on his plate. Here it was. The Eyebrow Twitch. 

The gesture she did when things didn’t go as how she had planned them, or when Jungkook lied to her. Because, somehow, she always knew when Jungkook was lying to her. That simple lift of her eyebrow could make Jungkook confess his most darkest secrets.

“No?” she asked tentatively again, probably giving him a second chance to answer with what she expected him to. But he just gulped nervously and offered a shrug of his shoulders and what he hoped a cute smile that would make her stop her interrogation.

She tsked, in annoyance or disappointment Jungkook wouldn’t know, because she was using that face she wore during trials, and retrieved a familiar white envelope from under the tablecloth.

“Your father went to your room this morning searching for a phone charger and found this peeking from under your mattress…” she said, glancing sideways to her husband who had kept silent during the whole interrogation.

“I thought it was something a teen would have, you know.” he said, his tone serious but kind of amused at the same time. “And was ready to make fun of you and probably use it as a threaten to force you do my chores for a month but when I opened it what I found inside almost gave me a heart attack.” he explained, ignoring the face his wife made when he mentioned avoiding chores for a month.

“I’m going to ask you again.” she said with finality on her voice, lifting the white envelope and holding it between her delicate fingers. “Someone special you want to talk about?”

Jungkook opened his mouth to say something but he was so nervous that only stuttered words came out.

“Jimin… he- well, it happened as an accident but-“ his parents weren’t saying anything, both were silent and completely willing to listen to whatever Jungkook had to say, but he didn’t know where to begin with. “It- it’s a girl… I mean, the baby- it’s a girl.”

Her mother’s features changed drastically, beaming at her son with sparkling eyes.

“I’m going to have a granddaughter?” she whispered, taking the ultrasound picture from the envelope to examine the baby. “A pretty baby girl…”

Jungkook’s dad leaned to her to watch closely the picture with a tiny smile on his lips. Meanwhile Jungkook was sweating profusely, his heart beating like mad against his ribcage; he almost died there.

“This is going to make things a bit difficult from now on, son.” said his father. Jungkook nodded, brain fuzzy and not allowing him to formulate coherent words. He was still trying to calm down his heart.

“I want to meet him.” his mother declared, teary eyes looking up at Jungkook. “That Jimin guy, your boyfriend.”

Jungkook stared blankly at her, heart dropping low. This was going to anger her. A lot.

“He’s not my boyfriend…” he mumbled quickly, words barely understandable but his mother had something like supermom powers and heard him perfectly fine.

“Excuse me?” she said, lifting once again her eyebrow. Jungkook slipped down his seat a little bit trying to make himself as small as possible so to not be the receiving end of his mother’s wrath. “You got pregnant a random guy?” her voice went up a lot, high pitched but menacing anyways, and Jungkook flinched, dying to get under the table and curl in a ball to cry until he couldn’t anymore.

“He’s not a random guy-“ he started with a small voice. He dared a glance to his father, who was also frowning down at him. “- he’s goes to my school, we share some classes, and we met at a party one night and… well, I don’t know, it just happened. We are friends now.”

“You are an idiot.” she declared, deflating completely on her chair. “If it were your boyfriend I would understand you wouldn’t be cautious, although it’s not an excuse because you always, always have to be cautious… but with a random boy you met at a party… that’s just very irresponsible of you and the other boy, Jungkook.” she scolded with a rough voice but sweetness gracing the tone. She always scolded him with neutral tones, making sure he was understanding her point instead of simply throwing her anger at a kid that would most definitely end up hating her for screaming too much.

“I know… I’m sorry.” he apologized. His bottom lip started trembling so he bit it to prevent himself from crying. His mother leaned forward and reached her hand to grab his in a reassuring and calming gesture. And Jungkook allowed a couple of tears to fall down his cheeks, suddenly feeling overwhelmed by all the bottled up emotions he had been holding for too long.

“Hey, don’t cry kid. It’s not the end of the world.” said his dad. Jungkook sniffled, cleaning his nose with the back of his hand and squeezed his mother’s hand. “You just need to start thinking like an adult now. Be responsible of your acts.”

“I still want to meet him, okay?” she said, her eyes red and teary at seeing her son cry. Jungkook nodded silently, still shedding some tears, but thankful his parents were being comprehensive. He had been so stressed, on constant tension all day, so finally explaining it to his parens felt like a heavy rock had been lifted off his shoulders.

Now he just needed to drop the bomb to Jimin.

 

 

Jimin reacted just as Jungkook imagined he would; spluttering some incoherences, messing up his hair with sweaty hands and then directing his anger at Jungkook for not being careful.

“Careful? You think I could hide I have a daughter forever?” he had said indignantly and Jimin shut up but groaned nonetheless because Jungkook was right. 

Jimin refused at first, it was obvious confronting Jungkook’s parents scared him, but after some persuasive words and the promise to buy him some sweets Jimin agreed.

Taehyung gave him the stink eye when Jungkook went to pick Jimin up the next Saturday, like a protective dad with his arms crossed on his puffed-out chest and chin tilted up to try to make himself taller and more intimidating. Jungkook just ignored him until Jimin appeared at the door and showed the other his middle finger when they made their way to the car, pleased when Taehyung turned red from anger and screamed an insult at him.

The drive to his house went silent, only the soft murmur of the radio could be heard. Jungkook smirked in amusement at seeing Jimin so nervous, shaky fingers playing with the hem of his shirt or smoothing down his fringe every two seconds. It was so cute to see him act to shy.

“Just so you know, you look good today.” mumbled Jungkook, startling a bit the other boy. Jimin coughed a thanks awkwardly, Junkook could swear he saw a bit of a blush covering his cheeks.

“Don’t be nervous, okay? They are nice.” he tried to sound sure but even he was nervous about it. His mother had insisted on inviting Jimin for dinner despite Jungkook’s protests; he said that just a cup of coffee would do, but his mother preferred to make things the good way. Summarizing, a fancy dinner that would put them all in an awkward situation.

Jimin just nodded bitting his bottom lip, by now red and swollen for how much he had been playing with it.

Jungkook opened the front door and the welcoming smell of his home hit him, eliciting a relaxed smile to form on his mouth. He guided Jimin to the living room and he hold the urge to snort as his parents sat casually on the couch feigning they didn’t hear them come.

“Oh! You are already here?” his mother said, standing up and smoothing down her pastel brown skirt. Her husband stood up also and went to rest his hand on the curve of her waist gently.

“Yeah… Let me introduce you to Jimin.” he said, putting his hand at the small of Jimin’s back to push him a bit forward.

Jimin vowed, one hand holding his huge belly, and his eyes were big and observing. Like a deer caught and desperate for a way to escape.

“Hello, pleased to meet you.” It was funny for Jungkook how obviously nervous he was; so stiff and so formal while speaking. He would non stop for this later.

“Oh, dear no need to be so formal.” Jungkook’s mother said. “Just relax, okay? I’m Jeon Minji and he’s my husband, Jeon Chandong.”

Jimin nodded again, his lips curving in a soft smile. Jungkook’s mother chuckled, covering with a delicate hand.

“Gosh, you are so cute.” she giggled and Jimin blushed while mumbling thankful words.

“Mom, please…” 

“Okay, sorry.” she  giggled again, throwing a glance at her husband who simply stood there amused by how his wife was acting. “I bet you are hungry, huh? Let’s eat.”

The family caught themselves in casual conversation; Minji asking questions about Jimin’s interests, or how was the pregnancy going and then fussing about the girl they were expecting. For now, everything was going by smoothly.

“What did your mother said when she knew she would have a granddaughter? I bet she was excited about it.” asked Minji before taking a sip of her glass of wine. Jimin tensed a bit at the question, it would be rude not to answer her when she was only being genuinely curious, especially after she had been so nice and welcoming with him.

“She doesn’t know.” he said simply, sighing slowly through his nose to brace himself for the answers he would have to give to their questions. “I’m not keeping in contact with my parents.”

“Oh? How so?” Jungkook’s dad asked with evident surprise and worrisome. Jungkook stayed quiet, debating wether to interrupt them or let the conversation keep going. He was curious to know why Jimin lived with the Kims, but he also sensed how the topic was uncomfortable for Jimin.

“They weren’t happy a boy who wasn’t my boyfriend got me pregnant… They are pretty conservative and think kids should only be conceived during marriage.” he shrugged, eyes downcast and small fingers playing with the fabric of the tablecloth. Jungkook wanted so bad to reach and take the other’s small hand on his own. “They are against abortion also, that’s why they didn’t give me their consent.”

“That’s why you are staying with Taehyung?” asked Jungkook softly. Jimin turned his head to the right to look at him and nod, sadness shinning brightly on his eyes.

“Well-“ Minji cleared to catch their attention. “- You have a home here if you want. You are very welcome to stay with us.”

“I don’t want to be a bother-“

“You are not, dear. We would be happy to have you here from time to time, right?.” she said smiling reassuringly, her husband nodding to agree with her.

Jimin felt like crying. The Jeons were so kind, and received him with open arms just like Taehyung’s family had three months ago. It was painful to think he was receiving support and love from people that weren’t supposed to while his true family members gave him the cold shoulder.

“Thank you…” he mumbled, voice thick because of his urge to cry. He wanted to show them how grateful he was because of their offer but he knew that if he opened his mouth to say something else he would end up crying.

Jungkook jumped to change topic, allowing Jimin minutes to recover and get on with the conversation once again.

An hour later Jungkook’s mother shooed them to her son’s room, so Jungkook lead him upstairs to his bedroom. The house was big enough for his room to be spacious;  walls painted a dark grey with posters of basketball players or a music band hanging here and there. A desk, a big closet and an enormous bed pressed against the wall that had a huge window. Jimin was surprised to find it rather clean.

He went to sit on the bed, his legs had felt like stone the whole day and was dying to get some rest.

“It’s huge.” he said in awe, his hand caressing the soft fabric of the bed’s duvet.

“Yeah, they had to get me a new one when my mom saw my feet hanging off the edge.” he chuckled at the memory. Jimin smiled; he felt really comfortable around Jungkook when it was just the two of them. The taller boy seemed to be more relaxed and even cracked some jokes or acted silly just to make Jimin laugh, and he appreciated that a lot.

“I thought that if the baby was going to be a boy I wanted him to be as tall as you.” he said, hand caressing his belly. Jungkook walked slowly to his bed and sat next to Jimin. Maybe a bit too close, but Jimin didn’t seem to mind. “And have your eyes. You have pretty eyes.”

Jungkook grinned, blushing a bit at the compliment.

“Yeah? I just hope she doesn’t get this nose-“ he pointed at the mentioned one. “- too big. Wouldn’t want her to suffer that much.” Jimin laughed loudly, his eyes almost shutting completely in an adorable way, making Jungkook grin in satisfaction for the reaction he got.

They fell silent once their laughs died, awkwardly sitting next to each other for a couple of minutes when suddenly Jimin jerked, planting his hand on his tummy.

“Oh, she’s moving.”

“Can I?” asked Jungkook excitedly, hoping it wouldn’t be too rude to rest his hand on Jimin’s navel. But the shorter one nodded, grabbing Jungkook’s big hand with his own smaller one and accommodated it around the roundness of his tummy where the baby was kicking so he could sense it.

Jungkook released a breathless laugh, astonished while feeling his daughter move gently inside Jimin.

“Wow…” he breathed, still dumbfounded. His heart picked up its pace in excitement and he wore a huge and wide grin on his face.

“Apparently she can hear you talk.” said Jimin in a soft tone. It felt so intimate, both boys sitting together closely and talking with hushed words. Just them in the world.

“O-oh…Hi Hyejin.” he spluttered awkwardly, not knowing what to say exactly. Jimin laughed using his hand to guide Jungkook’s so he could keep feeling her move. “I’m- I’m dad, uhm-“ he glanced upwards to Jimin’s face for a second before leaning down so his mouth would be closer to the round belly. “I- uh… I hope you will forgive me in the future if by any chance you end up having a big nose like mine… genetics big time.”

Jimin laughed, and Jungkook felt the vibrations of the sound on his hand.

“I can’t wait to meet you and hold you…” he continued, moving his thumb in circles to caress the fabric of Jimin’s shirt. “I hope you forgive us if we can’t be a family in the future, that you can understand that life is not always easy.”

Jimin just sat there, listening to Jungkook’s calm voice mumble the words that had been running on his mind since he knew he was pregnant. They hand’t talked what they were going to do yet, and everyone talked as if they were keeping her and that just made the whole situation even more awkward and tense. Though he had to admit that the idea of keeping Hyejin with him started to sound way more appealing lately.

He squirmed on his seat and gently pushed away the other’s hand, Jungkook leaning back up with an ashamed smile.

“Sorry, I got carried away.”

“You say you want to hold her but you are being distant with me at school.” said Jimin frowning. He was tired and suddenly very emotional, but he needed to have this talk with Jungkook. They barely got time alone with Taehyung acting like his bodyguard all day, so it was his only chance to speak clearly with the other boy. “It would be like that also in case we decided to keep Hyejin with us?”

Jungkook frowned, not expecting at all the sudden change of atmosphere.

“No, I- if we supposedly were going to take care of her I would want to be present on her life.” he explained. He knew that once he got in law school his schedule would be hectic, but he decided he wanted to be a good dad and be by her daughter’s side if Jimin was also willing.

“So it would be like divorced parents? Some days with you and some days with me?” inquired Jimin. It was weird to imagine his future like that, arguing with Jungkook over the phone about who was going to stay with Hyejin that week, or awkwardly standing beside each other for her birthday parties or when they met for her competitions or school plays. That’s not how Jimin imagined his life with a family would be. He wanted the complete opposite of what his parents gave him; he wanted to be by his kids’ side in every step of their lives and have a partner by his side that would make enduring hardships more bearable, someone to rely on and love with all his heart, create happy memories with them for when they grew old.

“I guess…”mumbled Jungkook looking at his hands with a bit of sadness. “It’s not like we are together now… We can be friends and have a good relationship for her.”

“Yeah…” nodded Jimin, voice barely a whisper. 

“You don’t want to?” questioned Jungkook noting Jimin’s baffled expression. It looked like it really did upset him to think they were going to be only friends.

“I just… I’ve always wanted to have a big and united family.” he shrugged, glancing at Jungkook and getting lost in those brown eyes that were so focused on him. He always felt appreciated when Jungkook looked at him like that, almost as if he were the most important thing in the planet. “Me and my parents have never had a close relationship and I don’t want to be like that with my children. I don’t know if that makes any sense.” he elaborated with a forced chuckle, just to diminish the seriousness of their conversation.

“Yeah, it makes sense.” said Jungkook. Of course it made sense, he also wanted to be close to his family, his kids and his future lover. It was just unfortunate he and Jimin didn’t have feelings for each other. Because they didn’t, right? “You can still form a family, find someone special and be with them for the rest of your life. Be the family you want to be. It’s just that, with Hyejin, you would have to share her with me.”

“Maybe we could try.” mumbled Jimin after a short pause. He his lips nervously when Jungkook gave him a confused stare, quick to elaborate his argument. “I mean, being together, for her.”

“You mean try to be a couple in case we decided to keep her?” clarified Jungkook. His mind went blank at hearing Jimin’s idea. Jimin nodded, looking up at him expectantly for his answer, even Jungkook would venture to say his face looked almost hopeful. Jungkook blinked, his heart quickening its pace. Not like being with Jimin repulsed him, quite the contrary, but the offer was so sudden and random that it caught him by surprise. What would they do together? They didn’t even know each other, Jungkook wasn’t interested in that way in Jimin, or was he? He was so confused, too much to think and imagine for his own sanity so he reacted instinctively, blurting out the first thing that crossed his mind.

“I don’t think that would work. We aren’t exactly compatible, I can imagine it ending pretty badly.” he chuckled nervously, looking away from Jimin and missing completely the deflating look on his face.

“Yeah, guess you are right.” That was the confirmation Jimin needed to close completely and with finality the door with Jungkook. The taller one made clear his distaste about the possibility of them happening, so he decided that he would forbid his thoughts going in that direction anymore, which had been happening a lot lately. Their relationship would be only and strictly about their daughter from now on.

 

 

 

✲✲✲✲

 

 

 

The talk left Jungkook confused for days. Since Jimin had put the idea on his head he couldn’t stop himself from imagine their future together with Hyejin. Mulling the idea over and over again started to make it more appealing and Jungkook found himself daydreaming in class or in training hours about waking up beside Jimin every morning, his soft face puffed from sleep but his small eyes smiling sleepily at him with a lot of adoration, pecking his lips and mumbling a good morning with rough voice but gentle tone; or while Jimin was busy making their coffee Jungkook would go to Hyejin’s room and wake her up with soft kisses on her nose or tickling her sides, the child giggling loudly and sounding a lot like Jimin.

It was confusing. He was about to go to university, he was in the age to think about partying and getting a boyfriend or a girlfriend, or not even that, just random hook ups to stress out the hard life of a college student. But instead, he was thinking about sharing an apartment with Jimin, rooms filled with giggles and kids’ toys.

He dropped his head on the table, groaning when his forehead hurt for hitting the surface a bit harder than expected. His hand lifted up to rub softly the sore spot while releasing a tired sigh. Why was everything so complicated?

“I want to take Jimin out in a shopping date.” said his mother cheerfully, leaving a mug of coffee in front of Jungkook’s head. The teen lifted his head and looked up at his mother with eyebrows riled up in confusion.

“Why?” he asked, his hands curling around the warm cup and dragging it towards him. It was the start of summer, but he could never say no to a warm cup of coffee.

“Why not? I want to buy him some clothes or maybe some toys for my little princess-“ 

Jungkook furrowed his brows then, listening to his mother rant about buying a lot of stuff while taking a long gulp of his coffee. It was black, but extremely sweet, just how he liked it. His mother laughed at him when he asked for black coffee the first time, and even more when he scrunched his nose in distaste at the bitter liquid invading his tastebuds. Just for his image of cool guy he kept drinking it, just with the bonus of tons of sugar on it; nobody needed to know that.

“We don’t know if we are going to keep her yet.” he interrupted his mother’s talk. The woman stopped talking, big doe eyes looking at her son as if she wasn’t believing his words.

“What do you mean?” Jungkook rolled his eyes and dropped the mug with a soft thud on the table.

“I mean that we have been considering the idea of giving her to adoption. That way a real family could take good care of her.”

“A real family? You and Jimin could be that.” she argued back softly. Jungkook sighed, here was the idea again.

“We can’t.” he simply replied with a shrug of his shoulders.” We wouldn’t work together. Don’t think Jimin and I would be compatible, maybe would end up divorcing some years later.”

Minji looked at her son blankly for a full and thick minute, eyes blinking slowly. To others it would seem she spaced out, but Jungkook knew her enough to know she was analyzing the situation and thinking a way to not make her words sound too harsh. It made Jungkook squirm a bit nervously on his seat. She was always a bit too straightforward.

“I’m so disappointed.” she said finally. “I thought I raised a smart kid but apparently not. Your father will have quite the disappointment also…” she shook her head, her eyes fluttering closed as if asking for patience.

Jungkook spluttered indignantly and mild offended, trying to defend himself but she cut his words by shh-ing him.

“I can’t believe what you just said. Are you an idiot? Don’t think so.” she answered her own question sarcastically. That was how she worked, Jungkook wouldn’t have the chance to speak until she gave him the right to speak. “It’s hard to miss the way you look at him. It’s subtle, but it’s there, and I know you enough to see that means you like him.”

Jungkook slid down his chair, cheeks burning from embarrassment. He knew it, he wasn’t that stupid to not see he was getting pretty attached to the other boy, but he quickly came to the conclusion that it was just a casual infatuation because Jimin was handsome and really sweet with him just because they had a baby in common. Jimin didn’t like him that way. It would pass as soon as it came.

“And he likes you too.” she continued as if reading his thoughts. Jungkook’s heart jumped on his chest because of his mother’s words. She was sharp, her eyes didn’t miss even the smallest of details and her brain was quick to think. It was hard not to believe her words, Jungkook had never questioned her mother. “Jungkook I’m not saying you have to get married right now but you two have a baby on the way and I think giving it a chance is a good idea. Just consider it, at least, or else you will regret it later.”

Jungkook wishes then he could travel back in time to that night in which they talked about this and tell Jimin he wants to try being in a relationship with him, even if they decide not to take Hyejin with them.

 

The thing now is, how do you approach someone to ask them out on a date when a couple of weeks ago you turned them down?

Jungkook had tried since his talk with his mother to think a way to make Jimin get out with him and has been failing miserably at it. It was easy to approach him though, Taehyung had started officially dating another boy so Jimin had no other choice but to allow Jungkook ride him home or to the doctor. But all those weren’t dates; Jungkook wanted to take Jimin to a nice café and drink milkshakes since Jimin seemed to enjoy them a lot lately with the growing heat of summer, or go to the theater and watch a movie, buy Jimin sweets, or do anything that could make Jimin smile up at him like he used to do before. Erase the little frown that settled on his eyebrows every time they spend too much time together, specially knowing it’s his fault.

He sighed watching from distance, again, Jimin laughing at some joke Taehyung has said wishing he wasn’t such a coward and could go there to sit with them and make Jimin laugh also.

“Yah, Jeon!” someone screamed on his ear. He frowned, turning his head to the voice and ready to murder whoever dared to almost leave him deaf but then noticed every single person sitting on the table is staring at him.

“What.” he mumbled, suddenly very conscious that he had been spacing out looking directly at Jimin and maybe someone had caught on it. Yungyeom, the one who screamed to catch his attention, smirked at him probably knowing well what -or who- was Jungkook so focused with.

“They asked you about prom.” his best friend explained and Jungkook looked at Mark who was expectantly waiting for an answer to a question Jungkook didn’t even had the the will to listen to. “You know who you gonna take with you?”

“Ah, no…” he replied absentmindedly. It was a lie, he knew who he wanted to invite to prom but he also knew it was more of an impossible outcome. “I don’t think I’m going anyways.”

“Dude, you are graduating this year. You have to go.” Said Minwoo dramatically. “Can’t wait to take Sojin with me…” he daydreamed, idiotic smile plastered on his face. Jungkook tuned off once his friends started teasing Minwoo about his undying love for his girlfriend, and turned his head back to stare at Jimin again.

Would the other accept his invitation if Jungkook reunited the guts to ask him out? 

 

✲✲✲✲

 

 

“I got it.” said Jimin breathlessly with a wide smile, turning around from the computer to look at his friend sprawled on the bed. Taehyung looked up from his phone after hours of only staring at it, probably texting Minjae, and gave his friend a blank look.

“What?” he asked, his voice hoarse for so many time of not using it.

“The animal shelter… I got the job.” elaborated Jimin, his smile growing wider. “They say they can’t give me a position near animals given my condition but that I can work in the shop for now. Well, once I give birth.”

“Dude, that’s so cool!” exclaimed Taehyung standing form the bed and going to hug his friend. “Damn, I’m so happy you got the job. You’ve always liked working with animals.”

Jimin kept smiling broadly. He had always liked animals, but he didn’t consider himself smart enough to pursue a vet career. He had volunteered on animal shelters before, so he had experience in taking care of them so when he saw the offer of working on a refuge he send the application. It was so considerate of them to hire him given his condition, even wait for him later for when Hyejin was scheduled to be born. It was sure a happy day.

“We are celebrating tonight.” said Taehyung excitedly. “We should go out for dinner… I will invite Minjae also!” chirped up Taehyung, instantly unlocking his phone to share the news with the other teen. Jimin chuckled, amused by his friend’s obsession with his new boyfriend. To be honest, Minjae was a seriously nice guy and always managed to put on a smile on his best friend’s face. The seemed to be enjoying so much their relationship and Jimin couldn’t be more happy for his friend.

“Should we invite Jungkook?” asked Taehyung reluctantly. Jimin looked at his friend for a second before dropping his eyes to the carpeted floor. Jimin was appreciating the effort Taehyung was doing to include Jungkook on their lives, it seemed the other had started being more accepting of Jungkook’s constant presence once he started dating Minjae and couldn’t spend as much time with Jimin as before, appreciating how Jungkook seemed to take care of the pregnant boy. But Jimin was a bit hurt, resentful for the other’s words. Despite the time that had passed it still stung a bit to think Jungkook was so repulsed of the idea of them forming a family.

“Nah, I think he’s busy tonight, probably partying somewhere with his friends.” he shrugged off with a kind smile. Taehyung frowned slightly, probably sensing the lie hidden in Jimin’s words; they weren’t best friends for nothing and Jimin was sure the other had sensed something had happened between them, but decided on keeping his mouth shut, and Jimin appreciated it. “Let’s hang out just the three of us.”

Taehyung nodded, silently typing on his phone to schedule the meeting with Minjae.

 

✲✲✲✲

 

 

“Okay, Jeon, you can do this.” Whispered Jungkook to himself. He checked his hair for the umpteenth time on his reflection on the rear mirror, making sure every single lock of hair was put on its place. He had been siting on his car for twenty minutes, waiting for the courage to appear and go knock on the door.

He knew he looked a bit creepy sitting on his car enveloped in complete darkness, and wearing a suit. He should be at the school, having fun with his friends and the partner he should have invited to prom but instead he was parked on the Kims’ house sweating bullets as his heart kept bumping blood at full speed.

Taehyung had confronted him two days ago, explaining through gritted teeth Jimin would be alone that night since he was attending prom with Minjae. At first, Jungkook didn’t catch on what Taehyung was trying to say to him but when the other said “go make him some company, you idiot” Jungkook’s brain got the idea.

Jimin couldn’t attend prom, it was hot since summer was streaking with full force that year and he was very pregnant, so much pregnant. His tummy has grown considerably big and he had kept complaining the last week of school how much his back and legs hurt. 

So Jungkook thought that if Jimin couldn’t attend his graduation prom, he could bring it to him. He had prepared some picnic with pretty lights and a bit of music on the outskirts of town, ten minutes in car. He knew it was quite romantic, but that was the point of all this, he wanted to make it up to the other and after such long time thinking on how to do it finally the opportunity had presented to him. After so much thinking that his brain almost melted into a puddle, he reached the conclusion that he wanted Jimin and not only as his friend. He wanted more, he wanted to hold his tiny hand, caress his protuberant belly while whispering nothings to their soon-to-be-born daughter and make Jimin laugh, kiss him, hold him. Jungkook had realised, maybe a bit too late, that what people at school said shouldn’t matter to him, he wouldn’t see them after graduation probably, and that he should enjoy the little things in life so he could be happy. And he knew Jimin was the first thing on the list that would make him happy.

However, he couldn’t help but feel the uneasiness twist his stomach painfully, because Jimin had been pretty distant with him and that added to his state, chances were big he would say no to go out with him that night.

“At least you would have tried…” he mumbled, trying to convince himself for the umpteenth time that this was a good idea and it will go as he had planned.

He finally stepped out the car, smoothed down his suit jacket and with decided steps approached the front door and knocked loudly.

He waited while rocking back and forth on the balls of his heels and his hands swung on his sides before, finally, a middle aged women opened the door.

“Uh, hi.” he stuttered, halting his movement so suddenly he almost lost balance. She looked curiously at him with wide eyes that reminded Jungkook so much of Taehyung’s own. They looked so much alike. “Uhm, is Ji- I mean, I’m Jungkook, a friend of his son and…Is Jimin home?”

She quirked an eyebrow at him while bitting the corner of , probably trying not to laugh at Jungkook’s sudden incompetence at communicating with other human beings.

“Yes, he’s home…” she mumbled, her eyes scanning him from head to toe. “Do you want me to get him?”

“Yes, please…”

Jungkook waited on the porch while she went back inside. His heart was thrumming on his chest, he was so nervous he kept sweating and he hated it. He always sweated a lot, specially when nervous, which made him sweat even more and he knew he probably looked like a mess right now. .

“Jungkook?” came Jimin’s voice from the door. Jungkook, who had his back turned to the door, turned around quickly and straightened his clothes again at the sight of Jimin eyeing him with a confused frown adorning his face.

“Uh, hey.” he quickly passed the back of his hand across his forehead to get rid of the droplets of sweat that were about to fall. Probably wasn’t something really hygienic nor attractive to do, but it would be worst if those droplets fell on his suit and ruined it. “I was passing by the neighborhood and— well, I thought that maybe, if you aren’t busy or too tired, we could go out?”

“Isn’t pretty late to go out?” asked Jimin. He looked really soft with baggy shorts that reached his mid-thigh and an over-sized t-shirt. Despite the heat of the night, Jungkook wanted so badly to cuddle with him. “Were you at school?” he questioned after a moment of pause, taking in Jungkook’s clothes.

“I thought we could go to prom together.” mumbled Jungkook. Damn, this was a whole mess. He had prepared what he wanted to say to convince Jimin to go out, but his brain had shut down and he wasn’t really sure what he was saying anymore. Maybe he should backtrack and go home and pretend nothing had happened.

“To prom?” asked confused Jimin. “I’m not in conditions to-“

“I know.” cut Jungkook, taking a step forward and his lips nervously “That’s why I prepared something special, just for the two of us.”

Jimin stared blankly at him for a second, Jungkook bracing himself for the rejection about to come, but then a playful smirk grew on Jimin’s lips.

“Didn’t you say you were just passing by?”

Jungkook blushed and Jimin laughed, those high pitched cackles so characteristic of him that always managed to make Jungkook smile.

“Have you really prepared something?” asked Jimin, smile still perched on his mouth. Jungkook nodded, not trusting anymore his mouth to speak. “I can’t stay for too long, though.”

Jungkook nodded again absentmindedly until the words sunk in and his lips formed an “oh” and Jimin laughed again.

“Do I need to change?” questioned Jimin, pulling down the hem of his tee.

“Uhm, no, it’s- it’s okay, it will be only you and me.”

“Okay, let me get some shoes and be right back.” Jimin went inside again with slow steps, his legs probably weighted a lot, and came back ten minutes laters.

The ride was silent for the first two minutes until Jimin muttered “You aren’t kidnapping me or something, right?” and both laughed enough to relax and get caught in casual chatter.

Once they reached their destination, Jungkook interlocked his fingers with Jimin’s to guide him through the path to the tinny lake where he had prepared his picnic.

“Close your eyes.” said Jungkook when they were almost there. “Want it to be a surprise.”

Jimin complied and Jungkook pressed himself on his side to help him walk more securely. He felt warm by the fact that Jimin trusted him so much.

“Okay, ready?” he waited for Jimin to nod, his lips curved up in a smile. “Open you eyes.”

Jimin gasped at the sight. They were on another side of the lake, not the usual one everyone visited, and that had a beautiful view of the city, especially now with all the lights being . Almost reaching the coast there was a wood structure in the form of a little cabin with big openings and that had been constructed probably for walkers to use it as a viewpoint. But now it was decorated with cords of bulbs connected to a little portable battery, illuminating the inside where a tiny table was set with a basked with food, mostly sweets, on top of it.

“You made this?” asked Jimin turning his head to the side where Jungkook had kept silent the whole minute it took Jimin to react.

“Yeah…” smiled sheepishly Jungkook, his cheeks tinted a pale pink, visible despite the darkness that surrounded them. “Wanted to make it special… We even have music!” he chirped and approached the cabin to turn the radio on.

Jimin couldn’t help but chuckle, Jungkook’s enthusiasm contagious, and walked to the cabin carefully as to not trip.

“Wanna eat something?” asked Jungkook when Jimin didn’t say anything. “I bought these crackers because you like them. Oh! And also these biscuits with melon flavor, they are disgusting for me but you seemed to like them when you tried them the other day and-“

“Jungkook.” 

“Yeah?” Jimin looked up at him, his eyes wet with unshed tears and full of emotions. Jungkook gulped nervously.

“Thank you… for this.” Jungkook shook his head, ready to shrug it off but Jimin kept talking. “Our relationship has been a bit.. difficult but, lately, you are acting so nice and even did this for me… I don’t know what to say, honestly. You are confusing me.”

“I know I haven’t make it easy… that’s why I’m doing this, I want you to feel good with me again.”

Jungkook took a step forward, grabbing Jimin’s hand with his own to pull him closer to his own body. Jimin looked confused, even a bit flustered by their proximity, but didn’t say anything as Jungkook’s hands guided Jimin’s to his shoulders and then rested them on the shorter’s waist and started moving their bodies to the slow rhythm of the music he had prepared. 

They kept silent for a while, just dancing and enjoying the moment they had created, their bodies slowly getting more and more close as the seconds went by.

“This is nice.” muttered Jimin, his voice muffled from Jungkook’s shoulder. Jungkook hummed in response, his arms now completely embracing Jimin’s tinny waist in a secure hold.

“I like you.” he blurted out after another minute of silence. Jimin tensed and stopped moving before leaning back to look at him. That was not how he planed to say it. He wanted to say something meaningful and romantic that would make Jimin not even hesitate to say he returned his feelings. But the night wasn’t going exactly how he had planned it, and his mouth seemed to keep talking on its own. Go hard, or go home, he thought.

“What?”

“I like you.” he repeated, louder this time, determined. But Jimin took a step back and looked at him with a deep frown.

“No, you don’t.” he stated. “You said you don’t, you said we wouldn’t work.”

“I know what I said but I want to take those words back.” Jungkook said with a bravado he didn’t know where it had came from. Two minutes ago he couldn’t even look at Jimin on the face without blushing. “I’m sorry for saying that. It was so confusing and I wasn’t thinking-“

“I don’t want to hear it Jungkook.” Jimin shook his head and took another step back. “Take me home.”

“Jimin-“

“No, take me home!”

 

The journey back to the Kims’ house was silent and awkward. Jungkook kept turning to look at Jimin, who had his forehead pressed on the cold window glass with eyes fixed on the road and his hand smoothing up and down the curvature of his belly.

Jungkook wanted to cry, the rejection felt horrible and it stung quite badly, and the fact that Jimin wasn’t even looking at him make it all even more painful.

“I’m sorry.” blurted out Jungkook before Jimin could step out the car. Jimin paused, door already opened and one leg hanging out. “I know I keep ruining things between us I just… don’t know how to fix it. I want to fix it Jimin, I want to make things the good way with you.”

“You can’t reject me and then say you like me. Not after I’ve worked so damn hard to ignore the feelings that kept resurfacing every time you are nice to me, or smile at me or take me somewhere with you.”

Jimin had turned to look at him with teary eyes. And Jungkook crumbled, he couldn’t hold it back anymore and allowed the tears to fall down.

“I was sacred, okay?” he sobbed. Jimin seemed to panic for a second at the sight of his tears. “I was stupid enough to care more about what others would say instead of believing in my instincts and ignore all those stupid pricks. , I’ve liked you since that night at the party. You think I would have ed you if I didn’t?” he cried out desperately. He had raised his voice unconsciously, but he couldn’t care less if everyone heard him in the middle of the night. “I ing like you Jimin, so damn much.”

“Come here, you idiot.” mumbled Jimin while pulling Jungkook in by the collar of his shirt. Their lips clashed harshly, teeth clanking a bit painfully, but despite that the kiss was perfect.

After the initial clumsiness due their nervousness, their lips adjusted to each other perfectly. Jungkook’s hand cupped Jimin’s face to angle it perfectly to deepen the kiss even more and the other’s bottom lip before using it to part his mouth for his tongue to meet with Jimin’s expecting one. Somehow the kiss developed to a more heated make-out session, with both boys groaning and touching each other desperately, allowing their bottled up feelings come out at full force.

“.” breathed out Jungkook when they finally parted ways to breath. Jimin looked so beautiful under the light of the moon, his eyes half-lidded and his swollen lips shinning with spit. 

Jungkook leaned forward to capture them again in a more slow kiss, sloppy and wet, and Jimin groaned into his mouth. Sound that went directly to Jungkook’s lower regions. 

“I like you so much.” said Jungkook between kisses, making Jimin giggle cutely as his hands rested one on each side of Jungkook’s neck. “So much…”

“I like you too.” Jimin said finally, awakening a wide smile on the other’s mouth. Jungkook wanted so badly to hear those words coming from Jimin’s mouth.

“I’m sorry, Jimin…” he mumbled on the other’s mouth. Jimin pressed his forehead against Jungkook’s, their noses bumping affectionately.

“If you really mean it, I can forgive you.”

Jungkook nodded before kissing Jimin again, and again, and again only stopping when their lips were red and swollen.

 

✲✲✲✲

 

 

“I can’t believe you dragged my here…” mumbled Taehyung. Minjae chuckled on his side, passing him the bag full to the brim with candy.

“Shut up.” said Jimin on his other side, stretching his arm to get a grip of some of the candy, but Taehyung leaned the bag away. “I needed you for moral support.”

Taehyung snorted while leaning the bag further away from his friend, who was now pouting as his short arms couldn’t reach the bag.

“As if… You don’t need me to watch your boyfriend play basketball.” Minjae took the bag from his hand, surprising Taehyung, and handed it to Jimin after hiting him.

“Stop being mean.” scolded Minjae.

“But Jungkook is busy, and there is a lot of people here.” said anxiously Jimin, while eyeing the crowd cheering loudly that surrounded them. “You know people keep staring at me as if I were an alien.”

“You are a very ugly one, of course people stares.” replied swiftly Taehyung, cackling loudly as Jimin hit him on his shoulder.

The alarm buzzed to signal the end of time-out the visitors’ team had asked for and once the players hit the court the audience went wild once again.

It was the final of the tournament, Jungkook had been busy with training the whole month and barely could enjoy the months of summer in peace before college would start. Jungkook complained so much about it, he had wanted to drop it and spend free time with Jimin because once September came around and college started he would be extremely busy. But he couldn’t just leave the team in middle of the season, not only because his team mates wouldn’t never forgive him, but also because he had to keep playing if he wanted to maintain his scholarship. His parents could very well pay for it, but he decided to start making things right and try to make it through life on his own. By Jimin and Hyejin’s side.

“You go all heart-eyes when you see him, it’s so gross.” teased Taehyung on his side, his voice almost muffled by the cheers of the people when one of Jungkook’s team mates scored some points.

“As if you don’t go all soft with Minjae.” retorted Jimin, smirking pleased when both Minjae and Taehyung blushed. They were so cute.

 

The buzz signaling the end of the game was muffled by the cheers of the people celebrating their team’s victory. Even Jimin, who wasn’t really fond of sports cheered and clapped alongside them, after all it was Jungkook’s team who had won.

“Congrats!” screamed loudly Jimin when Jungkook approached him, all sweaty and broad smiles. Everyone was celebrating their victory on the court and Jimin went all the way down the stands so he could congratulate Jungkook, his hands protectively hugging his belly.

People kept patting Jungkook’s back followed by congratulatory and affectionate words, but Jungkook’s attention was all on Jimin.

“Thank you!” he replied, his hands resting on Jimin’s waist to pull him closer. “Do I get a present for the win?” he asked on his ear, smile so wide his eyes were almost shut. Jungkook had sure a beautiful smile.

Jimin bit his lip to contain his grin, being aware of people’s curious eyes. No one at school knew they were together yet, they had been discreet the following month in which they had been building up their relationship, and it wasn’t until today that most students came to support the basketball team that they would see both of them actually knew each other.

“I can give you some candy Taehyung bought.” said Jimin, lifting the bag he had managed to steal again from his friend. But Jungkook wouldn’t have none of that and instead decided to take his price on his own will.

The taller leaned forward to catch Jimin on a sweet kiss that lasted more than it should considering they were being observed. In the mist of his blood pumping loudly on his reddened ears Jimin could hear some people cheering and whistling at them.

“Everyone is looking at us, I ing hate you.” mumbled Jimin embarrassed, his face hidden on Jungkook’s sweaty neck. He felt the vibration of Jungkook’s chuckle on his body, making him smile despite everything.

“So? Now they know you are my boy.” said Jungkook before pecking the crown of his head.

Jimin smiled even more broadly. Jungkook’s boy. It sounded nice.

 

✲✲✲✲

 

 

Jungkook was really, really, really trying not to panic, but was also failing miserably at it.

He kept pacing back and forth, the sound of his feet echoing loudly on the emptiness of the long white hall. 

He had received the call in the middle of class, spluttering a loud swearing word when finally his mother’s words sunk in.

Jimin is having the baby, you better run or you will miss it.

He didn’t even ask his professor for permission to leave the room, he simply recollected his things clumsily and ran out of class ignoring the questioning eyes of everyone. He would have to explain himself later.

He probably broke some laws while driving to the hospital, but he didn’t care, the important thing was the Hyejin was on her way to the world, and he wanted to see her open her eyes for the first time.

Birth labor for males tended to be a bit more complicated and had to be done under surgery, hence he wasn’t inside the room by Jimin’s side squeezing his hand. And he hate it. 

He hated the uncertainty, being so out of control of the situation, but there was nothing left for him to do other than wait. 

And wait.

His mother had stopped since long ago to calm his nerves and she just simply sat on the plastic chair, one leg crossed over the other and observing her son on the verge of bitting his nails off.

“Your father won’t make it until later, the case he’s working on is really important.” she said, reading the messages on her phone. “He wants me to send him pics of you all.” she chuckled.

Jungkook nodded, not really paying attention to her. 

“Family of Park Jimin?” asked one nurse after emerging from the operating room. Jungkook’s heart did a weird jump on his chest and walked to the nurse with bobbly legs.

“I’m- boyfriend, his boyfriend.” he said, he was so nervous his hands were shaking.

“Congratulations, your daughter and boyfriend are perfectly fine and healthy. Everything went down as planned.”

“Oh my God.” he breathed relieved, turning to embrace his mother who had started also crying.

“We will take Jimin-ssi to his room and then you can go see them.” she explained gently, patiently, surely already experienced in situations like this.

 

When Jungkook entered Jimin’s room twenty minutes later he was about to pass out. He was nervous, shaken and walking on wobbling legs, but he couldn’t wait anymore to see his family.

Jimin was already awake, still hazy if his half-closed eyes were any indication of it, but still smiled widely at seeing Jungkook.

“Hello.” he said with gravelly voice. Jungkook grinned, his eyes already wet, and walked to the bedside to drop a long kiss on the other’s mouth.

“Hey…” Jungkook breathed on his mouth, pecking Jimin’s lips again. “How are feeling?”

“Tired.” answered Jimin as one of his hand lifted up to rest on his now flat belly. “and less-weighted.”

Jungkook chuckled before giving the other another soft kiss.

“I love you.”

“Love you too.”

“She’s sleeping now,” mumbled Jimin, turning his head slightly to his right and Jungkook followed his line of vision to stop at the crib pressed closely to Jimin’s bed. “but you should hold her.”

Jungkook looked at Jimin before standing up and circling the bed, slowly approaching the crib to be greeted by the small form of his daughter sleeping peacefully. She was resting on her back, both her arms curled up so her hands were resting near her head. She looked so calm Jungkook was afraid to touch her.

“Should I?” he asked uncertain, voice barely a whisper in fear of waking her up. He turned his head to look at Jimin, who nodded with a gentle smile.

He had been  investigating on the internet how to properly hold a new-born baby, he even practiced carrying around big bags of flour and ignoring Jimin’s teasing, but now that the moment had come he felt a bit loss.

He his lips nervously before leaning down, one of his hands softly passing under her neck and head, while the other went underneath her back. She was so small that his large hand could cup almost all her body.

He hold her closer to his chest, bouncing her softly when she squeaked in protest at being moved, and smiled relieved when she curled on him and kept sleeping.

“Hi Hyejin.” he mumbled before grinning widely. He dared to take a look at Jimin and saw him smiling while looking fondly at them.

She was beautiful, her eyes were closed, but Jungkook could tell they were going to be big, doe-eyed like him probably, her nose small and cute and her head was slightly covered with soft locks of chocolate-brown hair.

“Her nose is small, thank God.” he blurted out making Jimin laugh. “She has your nose, and your lips. , she’s beautiful.”

He re-adjusted her when she protested again, happy his arms were wide and strong enough to hold her without any problems, almost as if they were meant to hold her.

He sat on Jimin’s bed facing him so Jimin could reach and caress her face softly with one of his fingers.

“Let’s get married.” said Jungkook then, smiling at Jimin’s surprised face.

“What?” chuckled the other looking up at him while his hand cupped Hyejin’s face.

“Let’s get married. I’m already eighteen, and you will be in three weeks, so let’s get married.

Jimin smiled, and Jungkook admired how beautiful he looked, soft curves and gentle expression that was going to be by his side for the rest of his life.

“Okay, let’s get married.”