Je Na Regrette Rien

Love Is Not Over

A/N: Prompt #5:

 


Seokjin peered into the boiling pot for the last time to check if the stew was cooked to his liking or not. Once done, he carefully put the pot away from the stove, keeping it with the other things he had cooked for the night. He looked up at the clock once again.

10:30pm.

Seokijn took a deep breath. Well, it wasn’t the first time his baby sister was this late. But she had again gone to that Hangang Park and that meant only one thing- someone was bothering her. He was so sure that it could only be ‘someone’ since his sister, even though emotionally vulnerable, was actually strong enough to handle ‘things’. It’s only people (READ- pale men with gummy grins which charm the off women) with their emo baggage that messed her up a bit. He said a silent prayer for her while cleaning the kitchen top, hoping that everything would be alright with her.

“Hmm” Jungkook emerged out of the adjacent room, his nose up in the air as he came sniffing up to the kitchen, reminding Jin of a hungry dog, “You made that ‘Jin special beef stew’ again hyung, didn’t you? It smells nice in here.”

Seokjin appraised him with a critical look while his hands busily worked around in the kitchen. “Care to tell me why your sister is not here yet when she was supposed to reach almost two hours ago?” “How would I know?” Jungkook casually shrugged his shoulders feigning ignorance. But Seokjin knew better.

“Don’t you play games on me, JK” he was now staring at the young lad dead on, “You’re not meeting my eyes and your ears are red. Your face is right now telling me that you’re lying and you exactly know where she is and what she’s up to. So spit it out…”

Jungkook deeply sighed. “Okay” he took a deep breath again, preparing for the inevitable onslaught by his big brother, “You might want to beat me up for this….. But before you do, I want to explain myself properly. So you have to promise to listen me out, till the end, all right?”

“Why would I ever….”

“Please hyung” Jungkook now had one hand on his shoulder keeping him in place, “I know how you are when it comes to her so I want you to listen to me till the end before you decide to pull some move, okay?”

Seokjin sullenly nodded (well, it wasn’t like Jungkook was lying anyway if past records were anything to go by), giving him a silent go-ahead.

“So here’s the deal” Jungkook was now carefully perched on one of the kitchen stools by the counter, “I may or may not have told Yoongi about her whereabouts some hours back…. and she may or may not be with him right now….”

“The you’re saying?” Seokjin was already in panic mother hen mode, “Why is she hanging out again with that puny son of a gun with tiny ?”

“You don’t even know if his is tiny hyung……”

“Why would you let that bastard hang out with her again?” Seokjin was practically red now because of all the stress “As it is, he had hurt her so much before that she’s struggling emotionally…”

“Hyung you’re not listening to me” Jungkook raised his voice, forcefully pulling him to sit on the stool beside him, “You promised me that you’ll listen to the whole thing.”

“But this is ridiculous JK. This is blasphemy…”

“Oh do shut up, you overdramatic old hag!” Jungkook pushed his hand on Seokjin’s plump lips, “Yoongi had come for her birthday as well, didn’t he? Why didn’t you have a problem then and why is it an issue now?”

Seokjin let out some incoherent voices, forcing Jungkook to remove his hand. “Thank you” he heaved a sigh, “And I didn’t call him, you had called all of us. If I had known you were trying to set them back again, I wouldn’t have let it happen at all…”

Jungkook shook his head as if he was pitying the older guy, “For someone who claims to be a lawyer, you sure seem to be horrible at reading people.”

“What do you mean?”

“Didn’t you see that night? Didn’t you see the way they both were looking at each other? Yes, they avoided each other for most of the night (thanks to you)…. But Jin hyung, they both are obviously still in love with each other. Sure, they hit a very rough patch…. But I’ve seen it in his eyes. He loves her a lot, even now. How can I not give him a chance to make it up to her when obviously she’s still waiting for him to do it? Isn’t this what all you divorce lawyers do- give the estranged couple a chance to make up?”

“Well I’m not a divorce lawyer so I won’t know….”

“Not the point or excuse” Jungkook placed his hand on the elder’s arm, “You and I both know that she won’t move on unless and until she gets a closure of some sorts. That’s what I did. Yoongi had been indirectly asking me about her all this time and today, I finally let him go to see the damage himself. Even if we hate him for what he did to our sister, we should understand that even that poor guy deserves some closure. I am sure whatever happened between them, they’ll talk it out like adults… So let’s not mess it up, okay hyung?”

Seokjin opened his mouth to say something but then he begrudgingly pursed his lips back. Being the oldest child and a competitive person as such, he hated it when his siblings happened to make more sense than him at times because truthfully, Seokjin lost his mind when he had one of his tempers. Not that he was a temperamental person as such. Only the people close to him could bring him on the edge like that.

Thinking over Jungkook’s words again, he slumped in the stool, reaching out for the water bottle kept on the counter top.

“Feeling better now?” Jungkook eyed his brother while he downed the water in large gulps, one of his habits to bring his anger down.

“Kind of” he wiped his lips with the back of his hand, “I do hate it when you make sense though…..”

Jungkook chuckled, almost ready to say something dorky to alleviate the mood when they were interrupted by the tell-tale sounds of numbers being punched in the lock outside the door followed by soft footsteps from the hallway.

“Noona you came!” Jungkook said brightly when she entered the room. Jinah gave a soft smile to both of them before she slumped down on the couch. “I am so tired Kookie….. Can you please get me some water?”

Seokjin immediately got up from his place, pouring water for her in a glass and went to sit by her. “Everything all right?” he softly said as he offered the glass to her while Jungkook sat on the other couch, looking expectantly at her.

“Yes. Just tired. Had a long day today at school” she took the glass from his hand, not missing the knowing look that both her brothers were exchanging. She looked confusedly between the two, “Did something happen while I was gone?”

“Na” Jungkook said in a playful voice, “Me and hyung are just catching up before he goes back to Gwacheon again…”

“That reminds me” suddenly she was sitting upright, “How come you’re here tonight and not at Tae’s place?”

“He has some exams coming” he shrugged his shoulders, concentrating very hard on whatever he was doing on his phone, “Said has to cram or you’ll fail him…”

Jinah chuckled, “I’m not even his prof yet and he’s getting all antsy. Your man really talks weird sometimes…”

“Hey! He’s not weird okay? He’s smart, he’s loyal, he’s……”

“Stop!” Jin brought a firm hand on his mouth, “we don’t want you to tirade on and on about your lovely alien again. As if we haven’t heard it ten thousand times already…”

“But he’s perfect! What do I do about it?”

“Keep it in your pants, that’s what you do” Jinah cheekily replied, earning a scandalized look from the both of them.

“See that’s why I don’t like her hanging out with that guy” Seokjin was now flailing his arms, walking towards the kitchen, mostly talking to himself, “She comes back home and starts talking all this weird sarcastic . I swear to God that man is not a good influence on her. If I had it my way, I wouldn’t let them happen at all, like what did she ever see in him? There are seven billion people in this world. SEVEN BILLION! Yet she chose him. People surprise me every day with the way choose to commit suicide …..”

“What is he on about now?” Jinah whispered to Jungkook, looking at her brother with a confused expression.

“Beats me” Jungkook lied, knowing too well who was aggravating their mother hen that night……..

“Jinnie~! JK~! Dinner is ready. Wash up and come soon” Seokjin cooed as he set the table.

Jinah and Jungkook exchanged looks and then chuckled. Seokjin seemed to be in a good mood after all.

 


 

Some things never change in this house. Like Seokjin’s love for food. It was amazing how he had been able to maintain himself despite the huge appetite that he fostered. His siblings often saying why he can never marry “coz you can’t marry fried chicken hyung! Even if they’re the love of your life…..”

Another thing was Jinah’s habit of lying to her oppa whenever she got into trouble because she didn’t like to make her already anxiety attack prone brother worry over her. They both knew how he reacted that one time when one of the boys in her school (with whom she fought with for bullying her friend), tried to lift her skirt in the class to . It was horrible….. Jin had been suspended for one whole week.

And so, when she came late that night, she chose not to tell her brother who she had been with before. She already knew that more than her, it was her brother who was still bitter with Yoongi. She was majorly surprised how they both had even managed to breath in the same room on her birthday.

And the last thing that still remained the same was how Jungkook would still be able to read her and comfort her in the shadows. Even though he was their cousin, the Kims’ thought no less of him than their sibling. Ever since his own parents (who were back in Busan) had disowned him for being gay, he had been living with them in Seoul, their parents being more than happy to accept him for what he was. They were his family now, with Jin being his pseudo-mom and Jinah his best friend. Often late at night, whenever one of them would be feeling down, Jungkook would sneak into her bed and they both would hug and talk till one of them fell asleep.

Tonight was one of those nights. Even though she wasn’t aware herself, Jungkook had known about her whole rendezvous with Yoongi. So when the lights were out, Jungkook whined and pleaded and now, they were lying on the same bed with Jinah pulled into a hug onto Jungkook’s now wide shoulders.

“Don’t you think we are too big for this now Kookie?” she whispered, “It seems very inappropriate you know….”

“Shut up” Jungkook slurred, tightening his grip, “I know you are in need of it today.”

“I do” she sighed, “But you’re practically choking me right now.”

Jungkook released his grip on hearing her words, letting her shift till she was lying on her back staring at the ceiling.

“Want to talk about it?” Jungkook softly asked her.

There was a silence, not uncomfortable though, as they both waited for the other to speak first. Finally, he saw her silhouette turning towards him, “I met Yoongi today” she let out a deep breath.

“I know.”

“You told him, didn’t you? Where to find me……”

Jungkook just let out a soft hum indicating his assent.

“Why?” she had said so softly, but he didn’t miss the quiver in her voice.

“Because you had been meaning to talk to him since quite a while.” Jungkook saw her shaking her head, “Don’t try to deny it. We move around in the same social circle. Jimin is my friend too, remember?”

Jimin. Of course, Jungkook would know. Wait! Does that mean…..

“How much do you exactly know Kookie?” Even if there was dark in the room, he could make out that she was scrutinizing him….

“Only as much as I needed to make sense of the situation” he cryptically replied.

“You were in touch with Jimin all this while, weren’t you? You had known about his disease….”

“Well, who else do you think helped them find that place in Geneva?”

Suddenly, Jungkook’s arms weren’t so comforting anymore. “I can’t believe this” she hissed and tried to withdraw away from his grip. Instinctively, he pulled her closer.

“I know you feel betrayed right now” Jungkook whispered to her, “But you and I both know that the two of you were not in a position to talk to each other at that time. Even if I had told you, it wouldn’t have affected you in any way….”

“At least you could’ve told me how they were doing” her head was now buried on his shoulder, her hand clenching at his t-shirt, “Jimin was my friend too, you know. It wouldn’t have hurt to know if he was healthy or not…..”

“Tell me honestly, who you wanted to know about.... Yoongi or Jimin?” There was a silence as Jinah slowly loosened the grip on his shirt.

“I thought as much” he softly whispered, lightly her back, a subtle smile on his face.

“Will you tell me what happened there?” she pleaded.

“I thought you just met him…” he looked down at her.

“We didn’t….. Exactly talk about that. I …. I know bits and pieces about what happened but…. I want you to tell me properly.”

“Let’s make a deal” he whispered back, “You tell me what went down with Yoongi while I tell you what happened back in Geneva…. Okay?” He saw her hesitate first but then she nodded her head, shifting to lie on her back, away from the protective gaze that he was giving her.

“Well?” he said when she remained quiet for some time.

He saw her take in a shaky breath, “He wants us to start again…..”

“I guessed that much” Jungkook was smiling now, “Tell me properly now what happened…”

“Well……

 

 

 

I had walked into someone while still trying to control my emotions on my way home.

“Sorry” I mumbled back in a shaky voice as I side-stepped them, only to be blocked by two strong hands on either sides.

“I said I am sorry mister….” I yelled at the man, finally looking up.

“Y…. Yoongi” I barely managed to articulate the man’s name as he looked down at me in the same vulnerable way that he used to in the past. Of course, I was dumbstruck and I continued to stare back at him. That is until he had that same lopsided smirk and said…

“Like what you see?”

They were the very first words that he said to me the first time we met on the subway all those years ago.  And that seemed to bring me out of my daze as I quickly pushed myself out of his arms.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t see where I was going” I mumbled back, “You aren’t hurt right?” Even though I meant to say it in a polite manner, somehow, it didn’t come out that well- pent up bitterness evident in my voice.

And if he did notice, he chose not to comment and choosing to simply reply with a polite ‘No’. We stood there near each other for eternity, until he spoke up. “It’s been a while, isn’t it?”

Tell me about it.

“Yeah” I mumbled back, my eyes concentrated on the gravel below.

“I forgot to get your number last time. And others won’t give me unless I talked to you so….” I saw him fiddling on his feet nervously, from the corner of my eyes.

“It’s okay” I was still trying to be polite, “I can understand. You might have been busy yourself. It must be a bit hard back at home these days, right?”

“Yeah it is” and suddenly, I could see him watching me resolutely and with something….. Something else that I had seen before, whenever he looked at me. My instinct told me to run away as I wasn’t yet ready for another marathon of emotions…

“Hey listen” I stuttered, “I…I kinda need to go home now. Jin oppa is waiting for me and …”

“Don’t go!” he blabbered louder than he intended to, startling me and provoking awkward glances from few of the passersby.

“I….” he shook his head, quickly apologizing, “I didn’t mean it that way. What I meant was….. If you’re not too busy, can we please go to that old café and talk? Like properly. I am sure, Jin hyung won’t mind if I take a bit of your time…….. Please?”

‘Bad idea Jinah’ my mind told me. REALLY BAD IDEA.

I sighed. Well, might as well get over with it.

“Fine” I conceded, “let me leave a text and then we can go….” I withdrew in one corner, quickly typing away my excuse to Jin oppa while Yoongi had disappeared, probably to hail a cab. When I turned around, a cute red car was already on the road with Yoongi at the wheel. He leaned towards the other door, opening it for me.

“Get in.”

“You got a car?” I squeaked as soon as I sat inside, buckling my seatbelt.

“Kind of needed it now. Don’t you think?” he smiled, as he maneuvered the car in to the main street.

“Yeah” I vaguely remembered him telling me about his new job in one of the construction giants in Gangnam the last time we met. If anything, the experience in Geneva had certainly helped him get a better experience and so, a better job back home. That kind of made me happy for me. He was a hard working guy after all.

The entirety of the drive till the café had been silent after that as both of us avoided each other, his eyes concentrating on the road and my eyes looking outside the car window.

It had been a while since I had been this close to him since my birthday. And I was already having trouble breathing. Luckily for me, we had reached the café soon enough and in no time, I jumped out of the car, my face burning.

“You okay?” Yoongi regarded me worriedly, as he locked the car.

“Yeah… yes” I stuttered again, “The heat. I swear the summer this time in Seoul is just worse if not the worst…..” I fake dabbed my blushing face with a wet napkin. When I looked back at him, it was easy to see that he had not bought whatever I had told him and still had that curious glance. Instead, he curtly nodded and started walking towards the café.

And somehow, it seemed that the Gods had conspired this meeting because the café, was less full than usual, leaving ‘our spot’ empty and waiting for us. We placed our usual orders and sat back in our seats with the silence shrouding us again.

“Congrats” he suddenly spoke, “I heard about your new job. Going back to SNU huh?”

“How did you…”

 And then I remembered. Jimin.

“Thanks.” I tried to smile even though, my heart had already sunk. Were they still together? But Jimin said they weren’t….. What should I believe in?

“Believe me” I vaguely heard him speak. (Did he just hear my thoughts? Or did I say it aloud? I couldn’t be so sure…)

“I beg your pardon?”

“Will you believe me if I confessed to you something?” he said, trying to keep his tone calm and even, “Will you promise to hear me out and not run away?”

I met his steely gaze that somehow also mirrored his hurt. Honestly, I didn’t want to hear anything from him. Rather, I wasn’t prepared to hear him out. ‘Please don’t say anything….’

Instead I spoke, “Okay. What do you want to tell me?”

I saw him fidgeting in his seat, playing with that ring on his….

”You still have it?” I blurted out. Not that I could question him. I had been wearing my own for all these years…..

He trailed my gaze which was fixed on his ring finger, to look down on the silver band. Our promise ring- from almost five years ago….

And suddenly, his eyes were fixed on me commanding my attention. “I couldn’t really let go you know……” He was holding on to that ring now.

And I don’t know why, I wanted to cry.

“Look, Yoongi…. If this is about you wanting out you really need not have dragged me here. I have no right over you. Not that I ever had….”

“Who said I wanted out?” and suddenly, he was glaring at me, as if I had deeply offended him. But wasn’t I only speaking the truth?

“Whatever you’re thinking” he was just short of snapping, “Just stop it. It’s bull.”

“Which part was bull Yoongi?” I finally, finally snapped at him, “The one where you left me even when we were in a committed relationship? Or the one where you chose your ex over me? ........ I know Jimin needed help but Yoongi, you were not giving him help. You were loving him. You had loved him all the time, even when you were with me. And I had always known. Maybe it’s my fault that I chose to believe you….. I have been a fool once. I won’t be a fool twice.”

“Listen to me Jinah…”

“…….And now you expect me to believe that somehow, by some miracle, you still love me, don’t you? Because I don’t think I can believe you anymore. Even if my heart wants….. Even if my heart wants you and wants to believe you, I don’t know what to believe anymore.…. I’ve lost Yoongi……” And without me knowing, tears had come in my eyes. I remembered my promise to myself, that I would never show him my tears anymore. Immediately, I stood up at my place.

“I am going….” And I was sprinting out of the café with my bag, leaving a dumbfounded waiter and my ex-boyfriend in my wake. “Where are….” I distantly heard his voice and his footsteps following me but I didn’t care. I never turned back.

I don’t remember how long I ran but I continued to, until I was far enough from the café. I stopped for breath, leaning against the wall of one of the buildings, my emotions becoming too much for me. The night was eerily quiet even though it wasn’t even that late. In spite of the sudden exercise, my tears had never stopped and now they were clouding my vision.

And shamefully enough, here I was now, crying my eyes out on a deserted street over a man. This was not how I wanted my life to be. I wanted to be an independent, self- respecting woman, who would be loved and supported and who, would make her family proud of herself. But then, I also wanted to be one man’ woman. And sadly enough, I still saw that man in Yoongi. Nobody could be my anchor as he had been. Nobody understood my fears or insecurities as he did. We both were two broken souls who were supposed to be joined and meant to be together.

Two feet appeared in my line of vision on the ground below. I didn’t even bother asking for them, already knowing who it might be. I raised my eyes to meet their eyes….

It was always him. It had to be him. No matter what happened, he always came back for me….

“Go…. Go away please…. You aren’t making this easy for any one of us…..” I stuttered between my sobs, not trying to control my emotions anymore.

Yoongi was looking down at me with the warmest eyes that shone in the dim streetlights. Maybe he was crying too, I wasn’t sure. I had lost my mind already. Instantly, two large arms surrounded me and pulled me into a warm hug. And being the emo person I am, this time I did not refuse the offer and chose to hold on and bawl instead.

“Don’t run anymore” I heard him whisper, his hand my hair gently. And then I felt his lips on my temple and then on my cheek. He cupped my face in his hands, gently wiping my tears with his thumbs, “I am here now. I am here to stay and I’m all yours now. For once and for ever. So please don’t run anymore. Please stay with me Jinnie. Please….” And I saw a stray tear come out of his eyes as his voice quivered.

If I remembered correctly, there had never a time in our relationship when I had seen him cry. Instinctively, my hand reached out to caress his cheek, slowly wiping the precious tear. “Yoonie…..” I saw him lean into my touch, as my own voice broke. Suddenly, I could feel all the pent up love I had for him, buried deep in my chest, bursting forth.

This was the vulnerable Yoongi I had known and fell for. This was the Yoongi I had seen when we made love. This was my old Yoongi in flesh and blood. And suddenly, my heart was filled with immense desire to hold on to him a little longer…..

“It hurt, you know” he was whispering to me now, our foreheads pressed together, as he silently cried, “It hurt so much leaving you behind. I thought I did the world’s biggest mistake when I let Jimin down when I was still young. But I think no mistake can ever be bigger than what I did to you….. And I really don’t know in what words to tell you that how sorry I am. That I’ve been such a jerk- to both you and Jimin….. And all I know now is that I want you in my life with me…..”

“Yoongi…”

“I am a selfish ….. but I want to share myself with you” he was now looking into my eyes now, “That you are the one I want to see every morning when I get up in my bed and you are the one I want to see every time I fall down. You are the one in whose arms I want to cry and you are the one who makes me cry- everyday. And it’s out of happiness. And I wonder everyday what did I ever do to deserve a smart, confident and beautiful, beautiful woman like you. That how did you come to love a worthless piece of like me- me who can’t even ing decide what he wants in life?”

“You aren’t selfish or worthless Yoongi” I was slowly mellowing down, trying to comfort the frantic man before me, “Give yourself some credit. You are prone to do some majorly stupid things in life like the rest of us but you aren’t …..”

“But I don’t want to do anymore mistakes in my life Jinah” he said with finality, holding my hands now, “I’ve done it twice. I don’t want to do it anymore. I want to make things right for once. And even though I won’t be able to do everything right at once since I’m not perfect…. I promise that I will try my best. I won’t give up till I bleed…. Till my breath stops. And the first thing that I want to make right is……” and suddenly, his words trailed off as he was now squeezing my hand for reassurance. I took my hand away from his face and held his hand tightly, interlocking our fingers together.

“Please come back Jinah” he pleaded, trying to conceal the break in his voice, “I might not be what you deserve ‘coz you deserve the best…… But I promise to give my all to you. I am all yours now- mind, body and soul. You’ll never be alone anymore, I promise.” He took my hand and put it on his chest, right above where his heart was beating. The sudden contact made me flinch a bit out of joy. It had been so long since I had shared this much warmth with him. I looked into his eyes which were reflecting the same serious but love-filled gaze from the past.

“I love you” I felt his voice vibrate through his chest, which was still strong under my touch. “I’ve always loved you. And I will love you forever- till this is beating here…..”

And you know that feeling- the relief that you get when you finally find something very precious after years and years of searching? It wasn’t exactly hard work that I had done- but instead of elation, it was relief that washed me over. That finally, FINALLY, Yoongi’s heart was mine to keep. And I just exactly knew what I felt at that moment….

“I love you too” the admission finally liberated my soul, “I have loved you all along. And even if you are a sarcastic that ticks off my brother, even when you behave like a kid when you are supposedly my ‘oppa’….. Even if you are a temperamental idiot at times, even if you broke my heart….. I still love you.”  

Yoongi stood transfixed before he urgently pulled me into his arms again. His eyes drifted to my lips and there we were, standing on the street, kissing each other- like one of us would disappear after this. Maybe one of us really would- maybe it was the years’ worth of desperation from both ends that prompted it all. Maybe I could finally have my forever.

Maybe I had finally found something to believe in…..

 

 

 

“Wow~!” Jungkook spoke dramatically through the dark, “That was one cheesy rom com. You want me to believe that really happened?”

Jinah frowned, jabbing him hard on his chest with her elbow. “Ouch!” he howled, prompting her to muffle his voice with her hand. “Oppa will wake up, idiot!” “Then you should maybe stop trying to kill me you know?” he hissed, pulling a little away from her.

“When you are on your knees proposing to Taehyung few years down the lane, I will remember to say the same to you too. Let’s see what you do then…..” Jinah had an evil smirk now. It was always good bullying her little Kookie from time to time.

“I am not….”

“Please” she quieted him, “Out of all us, you are the most likely to do all the tricks from the run-of-the-mill rom-com flicks. And you know it too……” If Jungkook ever protested, she did not hear it because she was again losing her thoughts to that moment back in the street few hours back. Even though she professed her love to Yoongi, somehow she was still feeling unsure about him. She still didn’t know what prompted him to come back to her. And perhaps that little hole in the past was still preventing her from giving her heart completely to him.

“So will you tell me your story now?” she her side to face Jungkook.

“From where exactly do you want to listen this tale?”

“I don’t know….. Maybe from the beginning?”

There was a long silence before a deep sigh was heard in the room. Jungkook lay on his back, one hand resting on his forehead, the other still left as a pillow for Jinah, which she gladly accepted.

“You and I both know that Jimin was diagnosed three years back. I distinctly remember it because I had never seen him as weak as he was during that year. He had been getting sick really frequently. It was like, he was gradually losing his energy. The Park Jimin- who would not miss even a single day in studio, was forced to take sick leaves because of a mild fever. Later, when Hobie got to know that he had been having that fever for almost a month, he forcefully dragged him to the hospital. Of course they ran some tests. Then, they ran some more tests and scans. By this time, Jimin had told Yoongi about it and he was there with him throughout….

Acute Myeloid Leukemia” the doctor had told them. She had even told how lucky Jimin was that it was still at a stage where it could be completely cured. However, the only definite cure was a bone marrow transplant, the catch here being- it had to be from a close relative- a sibling or a parent. Jimin already didn’t have any sibling or a father. His mother was all that he had left. And later when they did the tests on her…… they didn’t match. Around this time, Jimin had to leave his job and he had already done one round of chemo. It was also around this time that I got to know about all this from Hobie. And as much as I wanted to beat the crap out of that tiny hyung for keeping me in the dark, I couldn’t do it…. and I ended up bawling on Taetae’s bed that night…..

I feel that whatever happened between you three is partly my mistake as well. I assumed that Yoongi might have told you about all of this. But honestly noona, I had never seen him as worried as I had seen him during those days. He had even signed up as Jimin’s legal guardian at the hospital. He was there with him at every step, to comfort him and to arrange finances with his mom. The days when he was away from you and never told you about it, it was because he was away with Jimin- either at the hospital or at his home with his mom. And now…… I think I know why he never told you about it. I don’t blame him for what he did. But at the same time, it wasn’t a great move either…..

Anyways, so after one more round of chemo, the doctor called Yoongi and his mom. Apparently, Jimin’s condition wasn’t getting any better. And if they couldn’t get a marrow transplant, he would be gone soon enough. “Two years tops” the doctor had told. Jimin’s mother had bawled that night blaming herself while we comforted her. Yoongi, as usual, was with Jimin throughout the ordeal.

Luckily for them, the doctor had been nothing but sweet and after many weeks, they finally found another way- a stem cell transplant. Some researches had shown definitive cure by this method in several advanced centers in Europe and US. However, they didn’t have much data from Korea so she advised them to seek further treatment from abroad. That’s when we all pooled our resources together and found this hospital in Geneva which had been a pioneer in this field and importantly, they had promised that Jimin could get a transplant as soon as within a year after some chemo rounds. But again this time, they were facing a financial hurdle.

You and I both know that as it is, how costly medicare is. And for a treatment which wasn’t even that prevalent, with additional living expenditure for at least a year- all this would have made Jimin bankrupt. And that’s when Yoongi pitched in again.

Did you even know how selfless he is? Even before they had consented to the hospital in Geneva, he had quit his job here and had already lined up a job there. He and Hoseok were also looking at several loans/credit options to pull off this thing. I think….. it was around this time when you finally got to know.

Now I am aware that we all had been wrong in not telling you and Minah about all this. But honestly, I can’t find a fault in him for not telling you about this thing. I mean, what could he have told you? That he was with his ex in his home all night? Do you know how weird that sounds already? ......... Even if you knew the real reason, even if Jimin was your friend too, I am sure you would not have been so cool knowing why your boyfriend was still so invested into his ex’s life when others were there as well. But trust me when I say this, some bonds can never be explained in words. Yoongi and Jimin share that bond- even if it’s platonic now, Jimin will always be a part of his life so you have to deal with it” Jungkook was now looking at her firmly.

And if Jinah had felt anymore bitterness left in her, it was slowly melting away. She had known about his nature. But then why didn’t Yoongi ever care to tell her all this? Sure, she couldn’t promise to not be jealous about all the time her boyfriend was spending with his ex, but she could have at least understood him better. Maybe supported him too. But Yoongi was always like that- you had to scratch his surface hard to get down to the bottom. Suddenly, it seemed like she had failed him as a girlfriend after all- that she couldn’t give him a reason that he could tell her anything and everything. That at that time, in spite of all the physical closeness, they still were lacking. Maybe this distance and bitterness was needed after all. Maybe this was their timeout.

“What happened in Geneva then?” she whispered, “I mean…. After they left Korea….”

“I don’t know much either” Jungkook confessed, “All I know is that his mom and Yoongi had gone along with him. They ran some tests there and okayed him for the transplant. As expected, the expenditure involved was large so Yoongi was doing two jobs. His mom had mortgaged her house and collected all her savings as well. Somehow, things were seemingly fine. Until one day, I called his mom…….

Apparently, Jimin’s body wasn’t taking the chemo so well and he even tried to commit suicide because of all the pain. Yoongi hyung had found him unconscious in his room in a pool of blood……. It was horrible. Thankfully though, the doctors there saved him, but his treatment got pushed further for some time.

After that, Jimin was under constant watch. Yoongi had quit one of his jobs and he used to stay with him for as long as he could. Things happened during that time……. And I overheard it when Jimin hyung had called Hobie hyung in the studio one night….

“He doesn’t love me anymore Hobie” his voice was quivering over the phone as he tried to keep it steady, “It’s not me in his heart…….. What have I done hyung? Will she ever forgive me?”

Jimin tried not to show but we knew that he was not just in physical pain anymore. And by the looks of it, probably Yoongi was too. I was compelled to tell you all about it, but I felt it wasn’t my place to say anything when you two had clearly ended the matter on your terms. And again, I am sorry. I should have done better” he hid his face in his pillow, as if he still felt ashamed of the entire mishap.

Jinah choked back a tear as she ran a hand through his silken hair, comforting him. “It’s okay Jungkook-ah. You were right. It wasn’t your place to say anything. We should have acted sooner. It’s the two us who have been fools. Not you.” Her words seemed to have worked as slowly Jungkook pulled her closer, wrapping her in a hug again.

“It’s been a long night” he slowly mumbled, ‘Maybe we should finally sleep….”

“Not before you tell me how you convinced Yoongi and Jimin to come on my birthday” she pleaded and she knew she had won when Jungkook’s eyes opened again.

“Well here’s some interesting news for you” there was a hint of humor latched in his voice, “And again, sorry for lying to you………Jimin has been in Korea since almost a year now.”

“What?” she pulled to look at him, clearly surprised “No way.”

“Yes~” he said, “he had been in Daegu all this time till Hobie called him one month back. It was him who had invited Jimin for your birthday…”

“And Yoongi?”

“I think he’s been here for a while too………. But they didn’t come together. Jimin had come back with his mom while Yoongi had stayed back for reasons I am unaware of. Even though things went down between them in Geneva, I think they still keep in touch with each other. From what I heard, he’s been here since almost three months now. It was only coincidental that I and Taetae met him in June in that mall and we invited him for your birthday. So you see….. I told you kind of a white lie, I guess? And if I knew any better, Yoongi hyung had been waiting for an opening like that to enter your life again being the chicken that he is.”

“Please” Jinah suppressed a giggle, “Don’t appease your own ego by calling that tiger a chicken.”

“Already taking sides huh?” Jungkook yawned, “I see you. Tell you what. I promise to worship your future husband if he can get Mama Jin away from my back from time to time. And also sponsor my future honeymoon and also…”

“ off Kookie” she hit him on his chest, “He’s not your money bag to exploit. Nor is he my future husband. We don’t even know if we’re getting married yet…”

“OH DEAR LORD!” Jungkook drawled out, hands thrown up in the air, “You’re still unsure of that? After he literally proposed your sweaty, teary self in the middle of a street in Seoul? Do you even have some sense left or has it got buried in all your insecurities and melodrama…..”

“Now listen here you twerp…”

“No you listen to me you stupid, stupid woman who I have to unfortunately call my sister” he flicked her forehead with his finger, “Min ing Yoongi just proposed to you. If I didn’t know him any better, this was exactly how a proposal from him would sound. So what if he didn’t go on his knees or get you a ring? ‘HE LITERALLY ASKED YOUR HAND FOR MARRIAGE’. Drill it in your dense brain while I try to catch some sleep. Good night” and he his side, his back facing her, leaving her to contemplate over his words in the darkness.

“I love you…….I’ve always loved you. And I will love you forever- till this is beating here…..”

Dear Lord! Jungkook was right. Thinking over ALL the words that Yoongi had said, it did seem like a proposal- in his own characteristic style. Her eyes widened on their own, her heart beating faster than ever. Was this finally happening? But wait! They had to be more careful. Besides……Oh dear Lord!

“Kookie?”

“Not now noona. Le’mme sleep” he slurred.

“How do we tell Mama Jin about this?”

There was a long silence in the room only the distant chirping of crickets being heard.

“Deal with him on your own. Not my problem” and he dragged his blanket further up, burying himself inside.

“Ya!” Did he just leave her out in the cold?

“ing Jeon Jungkook!” she hissed kicking him hard in the .

(Yeah…… some things never change. Even the way the Kim siblings fought….)

 


 

Morning had come in all its glory with sunshine and birds and all. And it would all have been so peaceful…. Only if Jin would stop yelling.

“Kim Jinah! ing wake up before I kick you out.”

Okay, maybe things were a bit serious as for the record, Kim Seokjin NEVER EVER SWORE. Especially in the mornings. Instantly, Jinah sat upright in her bed.

“What? What happened?” she blabbered, still groggy with sleep.

“Mind explaining to me why that blonde tard is standing outside our door now?”

Oh no! Jin was in his Mama mode again. Jinah started remembering all her sins, anything wrong she had done in the past. Oh yeah, she had done one- met up with her ex- no, the love of her life who her elder brother clearly disliked. Blonde tard…..

“Oh God!” Jinah mumbled before she jumped out of the bed, pushing Jin from her way and stumbled to the door. She hurriedly opened the door, only to find her sweetest nightmare come true.

“H… hi Yoongi!” Even in the morning (or for that matter, any time of the day), Yoongi seemed to take her breath away. Especially when he came looking all dapper in that black formal shirt all tucked up in his brown pants which hugged his lithe figure. Blonde hair parted in the middle, the feline grin and a brown messenger bag hanging on his broad shoulder. He was the perfect image of the modern metro working man. And Jinah couldn’t help but suddenly feel undressed standing there before the literal God in nothing but pajamas and haywire bed hair.

“I didn’t know you were coming” she barely managed to say as her eyes shamelessly scanned him, “God! What time it is?”

“It’s seven” he said in his deep voice, his voice still having that tone of mirth, “I dropped in early before I leave for work. I….” and suddenly, he was all shy, “I…. I just wanted to see you. And anyways, your house was on my way to work so……”

“Aren’t you coming in Jinnie?” she heard Jin growl from the kitchen. Not strangely though, Jungkook was somehow sleeping through this entire commotion. (FYI- he slept like a log anyway.) She shifted aside to let Yoongi come in.

“He’s still angry?” Yoongi asked in a hushed whisper as he bent to remove his shoes.

“As always.” 

“Looks like I have to work even harder this time” he stood up, only to scoop Jinah in his arms, leaning his face towards her.

“You bet your would” she smiled back leaning in to meet his lips. Whatever time it may be, Yoongi’s lips were her home. Rather Yoongi was her home. And this time, she would fight harder to stay.

“GET YOUR HANDS OFF MY SISTER YOU TWERP!” they heard Jin (even though he was nowhere to be seen), making them jump in their places and reluctantly pull apart. Jinah was convinced that Jin had a sixth sense and the worst timing when it came to her and Yoongi.

“Now how do we deal with this, Romeo?” Jinah asked him mischievously.

“Baby steps my love” he whispered, planting a kiss on her cheeks, before taking her hand in his own.

“Baby steps” she whispered back, smiling back victoriously.

Maybe that was the answer after all. Whatever it was, Yoongi was now hers to keep. And for once, she didn’t doubt it. 

She took the correct turn at the fork. And she didn’t regret anything anymore- neither falling in love, nor the heartbreak. This was the most beautiful moment of their lives anyway….

 


A/N: and that's it guys!! I finally completed a fanfic!

 

So how did you like it? personally speaking, my toes cringed while writing this..... *ew* But I still enjoyed it!

And here's a spoiler: A bonus chapter would be up soon which will serve to fill any gaps in the story. And which may or may not be rated M. I already warned you.... ;-)

I also have ideas for an epilogue and back stories of other characters from the story apart from the main 3. In case you guys are up for any of it, let me know in the comments below- which character/ pair you want to see first?

and finally.... finally.... all hail Min Yoongi AKA SUGA AKA AGUST D who blessed us all with his mixtape on 16/8. And I must say, I am so mighty impressed and proud of him. The album is just solid!! Check it out if you didn't till now..... :-D

As usual, don't forget to comment/subscribe/upvote!! See you! :-)