Ferrets, Nagging Friends, and Curiosity

Shining Wings & Faerie Dust

"Light as a feather."

That's how the others described the hands of the pink haired male. Jihoon threaded through the large sheet of bamboo and weaved it through the holes, making a larger version of a picnic basket. His fingers were delicately working while his wings were up in the air, sprinkling specks of faerie dust here and there.

"I can't believe the Winter Court is making us do 200 baskets!!" Seungkwan complained as he went through his handmade clipboard. "And they want it rushed?!" The latter flailed his arms, having the urge to throw the clipboard randomly to any Winter Faerie. "HAH! Damn those cold winged basta-"

"Hyung, language!!" Chan, the youngest of the bunch cut the other off before any Faerie could. "And besides, you did forget to check the orders last Monday. You woke up every Spring Faerie at 3am because of it."

Seungkwan leaned back, his hand placed on his chest as he faked an exaggerated gasp. "EXCUSE ME?! They sent it when I was already asleep! Every Warm Faerie knows I need my beauty sleep!"

"Well apparently, the Unseelie Court Faeries don't." Soonyoung appeared, with stacks of twigs in his arms. "Now stop complaining would you? The Winter Owls are arriving in an hour and we still need to do 20 more baskets." He nagged and went back to his post after, leaving a scoffing Seungkwan who mumbled complaints to himself.

"Has anyone seen Wonwoo?" Minghao asked, his head popping out from the inside of an undone basket after helping Jihoon get a side done.

"Probably with Jisoo Hyung." Soonyoung replied throwing the twigs aside and dusting off his arms.

"Or probably spacing out again and exploring." Jihoon added nonchalantly.

The second option wasn't really surprising. Everyone knew that Wonwoo was a deep-thinker and spaces out more than needed in a day. Wonwoo was timid and shy as well, but very kind and smart. Out of all the personality he has, all of them worry about the fact that there are times when Wonwoo gets a little too curious on things that’s alien to him.

"Let's just hope he doesn't hurt himself again." Jihoon sighed as the others nodded in agreement.

Indeed, they were really hoping he wouldn't.


Meanwhile, a certain Autumn Faerie found himself in a daze along the woods of the Seelie Court.

Wonwoo just wanted to see a winter ferret. It wasn't his fault that he would encounter one when he was working and collecting branches of fig trees.

The ferret caught his attention by springing out from the snow, so close to where the border was. Moreover, Wonwoo has never seen any Winter creature in his life before- aside from the Winter Owls- so he wanted to take the opportunity to go see one.

He was carrying twigs of trees in his arms when he heard a rustle behind his back. He was only a few centimeters away from the line where the borders met and he caught the sound pretty quickly. The sound came for the second time again and Wonwoo turned his head and wondered what it was.

The sound grew louder until the snow on the ground sputtered in every direction, a small and white fury creature springing up along with the snow.

Wonwoo's eyes grew wide at the sight. Its bushy tail swung back and forth as it sat on the snow, elegantly grooming itself.

Pretty.

Wonwoo thought, dropping the twigs in his hands and drawing closer to the border where the ferret sat. He was so focused on the furry creature he didn't realize that he was one step away from entering the Winter Court. The warm faerie snapped out of it and broke the eye contact with the ferret.

Suddenly, his view wasn't only focused on the ferret anymore; but the whole view of the Unseelie Court. The drops of snow meeting with the ground made him hold his breath.

The ferret was innocently staring up at him, looking at him as if it was urging him to go through the border and step into its world.

Just a little…

Wonwoo slowly reached out his hand over the line of the border. In the process, his heartbeat seemed to go on a faster pace and his stomach churned.

His hand slowly went further in until he felt the frigid breeze hitting his skin, making him cringe from the coldness of the temperature. The feeling was a new sensation to him and he honestly wanted to feel more of it.

The warm faerie drew back his hand to his side and clenched it. He took a breath and closed his eyes. He knows this was wrong but he didn't care anymore. He just wanted his curiosity to be satisfied.

Holding his breath, he stepped into the other side of his land. He exhaled deeply afterwards and opened his eyes to another foreign feeling. A shiver went down to his spine and he felt a certain rush he never felt before. The wintry ambiance of the Winter Court exhilarated him in a way he couldn't even explain. He smiled gleefully as he looks and turns at every direction, touching falling droplets of ice with his bare hands.

Just when he was about to draw back, he felt a warm sensation on his back. Wonwoo flapped his wings so it touched his back to get a better angle of it and his eyes gaped open. He realized that it was starting to sparkle in different hues of color.

He wasn't sure whether he should panic or not but the beautiful light emitting from his wings made him stare in awe. The light traveled through the outlines of his wings from top to bottom, glistening along with the drops of snow landing on his back. The feeling was warm; suddenly, he felt a surge of rapture, as if he was stuck in some riveting momentum. It was present for about a second but the sparkle from his wings vanished quickly when he felt pain traveling from the tip of his wing. The pain worsened and Wonwoo suddenly felt weak, like his energy was being drained out of him. His body started to shiver and he felt the numbness go through his feet.

"WONWOO!!!" A voice he was familiar with called out from far behind him.

Jisoo was flying towards him with a vine rope in his hands. The older seemed frantic as he whipped the rope to Wonwoo's direction and used it to pull the younger out of the cold. Wonwoo was shaking and his wings felt numb, he didn't even feel the impact of the floor when his hyung pulled him back into their side.

Jisoo ran to his side and steadied him up, his expression filled with worry and anger. "Jeon Wonwoo, what were you thinking?!" He stressed out the last word in disbelief. Jisoo shook his head and carried the younger bridal style. "Nevermind that now. We need to get you to a healing faerie." He flew and quickly made his way through the thick forest while the younger lay lethargic in his arms.

Wonwoo didn't even reply, he was too weak to speak or even think. He let his hyung carry him as his lids slowly cover his eyes, leaving him in an insensible state.


 

There was a warm sensation going through Wonwoo’s back as his eyes slowly pry open. The hard weight pushing on his chest made him realize that he was lying on his stomach… his upper body and bare.

The said Faerie groaned; he tried moving his legs but felt his muscles turn sore when he did. He glanced around and had to register for a minute that he was in the workspace of the Healing Faeries. Hanging above him was a contraption that emitted heat from a glass that came from the sun, and unto his back.

“Looks like someone broke the rule.” A feminine voice caught his attention.

A tall but slim woman flew through the door with a clipboard in her hands. “You do know those who break the rule need to be reported to the Seelie Queen, right?” She puts a hand on her waist and gave a glare to the younger.

“Sorry Yoona noona.” Wonwoo frowned.

“Don’t say sorry to me! Say sorry to poor Jisoo who had to rush you in here because your wings were about to freeze out of your back!” She scolded and put the contraption to the side. “I can’t believe you crossed to the Unseelie court!!! Do you know how— you know what, I’ll save the nagging to Jisoo and the others. they should be the one doing it.” She said and smacked the younger’s head. “Stop these spontaneous and dangerous adventures of yours if you want to live longer!! Also, Be thankful Jisoo managed to convince the Seelie queen not to punish you for your reckless actions!” She nagged one last time before exiting the room and closing the door.

Truthfully, Wonwoo didn’t understand a word she said than the word ‘others’…. And he knew that didn’t very bode well. He put on his shirt before anyone else barges in the room.

Though, in less than a second, the sound of multiple wings fluttering outside made a bead of sweat trickle down his forehead. He knew whose wings those belonged to and the rising guilt in his stomach wanted to run for it before anything else happens.

Of course his body didn't listen and told him to stay in place, so when a raging Boo Seungkwan slammed the door inwards and made his grand entrance, Wonwoo couldn't hold back a disgruntled groan. The others followed shortly with the same expression, all except Minghao and Chan who only looked worried.

“JEON WONWOO WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?!?” The diva of their group gripped the others shoulder and shook him lightly. “Do you know the dangers of crossing the border?! Do you know how ravenous, how ruthless the Unseelie Court is and—“

“Okay! Enough with Seungkwan’s biased and overly dramatic opinion on the Winter Court.” Soonyoung pushed Seungkwan away from Wonwoo and stood in front of him with his arms crossed. “What’s the deal, Wonwoo? Your wings could have cracked and you would’ve never been able to fly… Ever!” He asked, his lips forming into a straight line.

“You know clearly that crossing the border is against the laws of the land, right?” Jihoon added standing beside Soonyoung.

The latter nodded but recalled the event that happened when he crossed the border. “But guys!!!! You won’t believe it! When I stepped in the Winter Court, my wings started shining!!” He tried to explain and convince that there was a reason he should go out and explore the Winter court. “I really think I should go back and find out why!!”

The others looked at each other and looked back at him with a worried expression. “Has the snow frozen your brain too?” Seungkwan grimaced.

Wonwoo sulked “No! My wings literally shone!” He looked over at Jisoo who stood at the back. “You saw it, right?”

Jisoo sighed and shook his head. “Wonwoo, maybe that was just the snow.” He explains.

The others seemed to be convinced by Jisoo’s explanation, but Wonwoo begged to differ. He knew it was something else, he saw it with his owns eyes. He lowered his head and dropped the subject. “I should get some rest…” He faintly spoke. He was disappointed that the others didn’t believe him, but he knew for himself that it happened.

Jisoo put a hand on his shoulder, “I’ll be waiting back home for you, okay? Take as much rest as you can before going out.” He smiled weakly at him before going out of the room.

Jihoon, Soonyoung, and Seungkwan followed after a short exchange of ‘goodbye’s’ and words of concern over the latter while Seungkwan makes a fuss on how Winter Faerie’s are useless in the economy of the Land of Fey.

The only Faerie’s left with him were Minghao and Chan, who looked at him with curious but doubtful eyes.

“Hyung, did your wings really sparkle?” Chan asked, edging closer to the Autumn Faerie’s bed.

“What did they look like?” Minghao added moving closer along with Chan.

Wonwoo was taken aback with the sudden interest that the younger Fey’s displayed. He nodded and he smiled inwardly. “The outline of my wings sparkled with different shades of color. Somehow, it actually looked like a rainbow forming on my wings.”

Both of them looked at each other and nodded "Hey, Wonwoo Hyung." Dino whispered.

"What?"

Dino glanced around suspiciously, as if he was checking for anyone who could’ve eavesdropped in the conversation. "You wanna find out more about the Unseelie court??"

The older’s brows furrowed. He tilted his head and leaned in closer. "How?"

Somehow, he could see a spark shining within the youngest eyes. "The Chamber of Knowledge!"

Wonwoo's eyes bulged. The chamber of knowledge was basically a universal library of the Seelie Court. It held documents, scrolls, books, and etc. The only sad thing about it is that the only information they had about the seelie court was the basic rule of not trespassing and how they work together for the land’s economy. "They have information about the Unseelie court? I thought we weren't allowed information on their lands?"

"Well, remember my uncle Donghae? I remember him mentioning documents about the Winter Court and the faeries there."

As Wonwoo was smiling, Minghao frowned upon the information. "But I don't like going to The Chamber of Knowledge."

"That's because you almost set a book on fire once and got nagged by the gaurds." Wonwoo chuckled as he lightly hit his arm.

"Anyway we can go later once the Winter Owls come to get all the baskets!" Dino said excitedly.

Wonwoo thought about for a second and found no reason to decline, so he smiled and nodded along with Minghao. "Okay."


The evening dawned upon them. Dino, Minghao and Wonwoo secretly got away from the eyes of the older faeries and made their way to The Chamber of Knowledge.

It was like a mini-mansion; actually similar to an english manor house from the medieval times. The building was basically built with off-colored red bricks and mold started gathering from each of the edges. It wasn’t exactly huge but it was larger than any of the other buldings in the area. All the window ledges were closed and the front door was made out of aged oakwood.

As they went through the door, a familiar face greeted them almost immediately. "Why, hello boys!"

"Yo, Uncle Donghae!" Dino waved and ran to give him a hug.

"Hi Uncle Donghae." Wonwoo smiled and got a hug too.

Minghao, on the other hand, had a frown on his face. Donghae laughed lightly at the younger’s expression. "Hi Minghao." He greeted.

"Hi." The boy was looking down and wasn't making any eye contact.

"Now, now," he grabbed hold of Minghao's face and squished his cheeks. "What's with the long face, Minghao?"

Wonwoo and Dino laughed at the expressions Minghao was making and also the words he struggled to sputter out. "Umcle Dernghey... Hwease shterph et."

"What? I can't understand you." He continued playing with the younger’s cheeks until Minghao grabbed hold of his hands and pouted at him.

"Stop playing with my cheeks! I’m 19 for pete’s sake!" He whined.

Donghae laughed at this. "Okay, okay I'll stop! Now wipe that frown off your face!" He pat his shoulder and turned to Dino. "Now, what brought you young men over here?"

The three exchanged looks at looked at the older expectantly. "Uncle Donghae..." Dino started. "Can we read the documents about the Unseelie court??"

Donghae flinched at the younger's request. His once friendly smile turned into a frown and his brows furrowed together. He looked around suspiciously and went closer to them, slinging his arms over their shoulders. "Why are you guys looking for documents about the Winter court???" He asked worriedly.

The other three started to worry from the olders reaction. "W-We were just curious... we really want to know about what's on the other side." Wonwoo explained.

"Listen carefully you three... there's a reason as to why we forbid people from reading documents on the information of the Unseelie court... it's too dangerous. Erase your curiosity over the topic and read something else."

Dino was dumbfounded. "But Uncle Donghae, Wonwoo’s wings-“

"No buts!" He pushed the three towards the door. "Now be on your way! It's already late and you men still have work to do for tomorrow."

The three questioned his actions; first, they didn't have work to do tomorrow. Second, why couldn't they have information about the Winter Court?

Donghae practically threw them out. Out of the three, it was Wonwoo who was disappointed the most. He had been the one who wanted to study about the Unseelie court the most... and the way that Donghae reacted just moments ago, he doubted he can get any information at all.

"What was that all about?" Minghao asked, his sour mood turned even worse with how they were kicked out. "I hate your uncle, Dino."

"Hey, don't blame the old man, he was probably just doing his job." Dino defended. He also found it odd when Donghae reacted that way but he knew his uncle was a good person. "The question is... what do we do now??"

Minghao and Dino looked over to Wonwoo who was behind them while walking. They just noticed how silent the other was after the incident. Wonwoo stopped flying and looked down.

He honestly wanted to find out what secrets the Unseelie Court held.... and heck he was determined to get them. "They close the chambers by 11pm, right??"

Dino nodded, still looking confused as to what the older was getting to. "They have some Seelie Gaurds roaming around at that time though."

"Then meet me here by 12 midnight." Wonwoo whispered loudly. "Okay? Be on time and make sure no one follows you!"

The two tilted their heads in confusion. “But hyung—” Dino wanted to ask what he was planning but the older didn’t want to hear anything else.

“Just trust me, okay?” I’ll see you guys later!” Wonwoo flew off, leaving the younger two in a state of confusion.

“Why do I have a bad feeling about this?” Minghao looked over to Dino who had a straight face after seeing the oldest run off.

“Well…” Dino crossed his arms. “Wonwoo hyung is the type to never look back anyway… Can’t be that bad, right?”

Minghao could only reply with a nod at Dino’s words. It was true after all; if Wonwoo had his eyes set on something, he’ll only focus on that.

He just wished that the outcome won’t be as bad as it seemed.


A/N: Hey ho~ and oHMYGOD 23 SUBS ALR AND THAT WAS JUST THE FOREWARD I LOVE U GUYS.
Short chapter 1 but at least I updated HAHAHA anyways it's my midterms so I really am busy :( I'll update soon~

Shameless plug of my (un)updated SJ fanfic [I WILL UPDATE THIS STORY I PROMISE] >CLICK ME<

Please do leave comments! It makes me motivated to update hehehehe Don't forget to subscribe and upvote too!! :>