Chapter 2

Give me your hand and save me

~ Give me your hand. Save me. I need your love before I fall ~

As she was about to hook one leg over the ledge, her hand slipped and she closed her eyes waiting to fall when a pair of arms wrapped around her waist.

“YAH! GIRL! DON’T!” a voice; she deciphered to be a man shouted.

She opened her eyes to face a boy in a black raincoat with blonde hair that was now soaked in rain. Before she had a further chance to examine him, she felt herself being pulled back to safety unto the bridge’s floor. Once her feet reached the floor, all she could do was crumble do the ground and cry.

The man sighed and picked up the umbrella he had thrown to catch the lady and brought it on top of the girl.

In the rain, under the silence he waited for her to say a word but knew she wouldn’t. After a good 5 minutes, his patience wore off. If it wasn’t raining he might have stayed here with her but it was pouring and he didn’t want to fall sick during this crucial period.

“Yah. Lets go to a warmer place” he said but the girl showed no signs of movement so he yanked her hand up and dragged her towards the convenient  store next to the train station. Once they reached the store, he settled her into a seat under the shelter and proceeded to go into the store. Since there were no warm drinks, he settled on two cup ramen and brought it out after pouring steaming hot water.

When he went out with the ramen, he realized the girl stopped crying and was staring into space. Now that they were out of the rain, he was able to look at her properly.  Her long dark brown hair was drenched by the rain and so was her grey sweater. She looked pale and he wondered if it was because she was cold or she was naturally that white. And then something clicked. He set the ramen onto the table and grabbed his bag to get a fresh white towel and threw it onto her head.

She felt something fall on her head and was brought back to reality. She reached up above her head to realize it was a towel. She turned to look at the guy.

“Wipe yourself. You’ll fall sick. Don’t worry, it hasn’t been used” he said as he sat down onto the seat opposite her. She was finally able to see his features under the bright lights of the convenience store. His wet blonde hair fell down to his eyes and against his slightly dark-toned skin. He then looked at her and pushed to her a cup of ramen and mumbled along the lines of ‘there weren’t any hot drinks’.

She thanked him softly and wrapped her fingers around the cup ramen. As she waited she thought back about what she was about to do. Wasn’t she stupid to do that over a guy, but I guess the pressure just killed me. She thought.

“The noodles will get soggy if you don’t eat it” the guy mumbled not looking at her and slurped his noodle away.

She took the chopsticks beside her and tried to eat her noodles but she realized she was shivering really badly. That was until the guy placed his hands over hers and guided her hand to the noodle. She slowly breathed out and steadied herself to eat after the guy’s hand left hers.

“Thank you for doing so much for me mr uh..."

"the name's namjoon" he replied and he tried to dig for noodles as the bottom of the cup. 

"Ah..namjoon -shi. Thank you very much, but honestly, you really didn’t need to. You could have left me by the bridge” She said as she took a bite of the noodles.

The guy looked up from his noodles and started at her thinking if she was stupid or if she was purely innocent.

“If I left you there, you would have tried to jump again. Wouldn’t you” he said.

She became quiet once again. He must’ve hit the right spot.

“I was there once” he said silently.

She looked at him and saw him still looking down at his noodles.

“Same bridge. Same weather. Same stance, just that both my legs were already on the ledge.” He said then looked up at her “that was until a girl pulled me down and dragged me here as well.”

She looked at him. Baffled. Everything fell into place. It was him. An incident she had long forgotten because it occurred during her high school days. She was now halfway through college and  she had buried that memory away. Furthermore he looked very different. But now, as he ran his hands through his slightly wet blonde hair, revealing his eyes, she remembered. It was him. The boy she pulled down from the bridge and dragging his distraught self to this store that she was now siting. 

“You.” She said

“You.” namjoon replied back. Smiling.