Goodbyes

Like Magic

Goodbyes


     Jieun opened her eyes to the sound of raindrops pattering against the window.

She looked through the curtain and stared at the gloomy sky, startled by the lightening that followed after.

     She looked at the floor and saw Suzy sleeping on the floor, her hair strewn all over the place. She looked so graceful in her sleep and Jieun found it funny how a soft snore came from that angel-like face.

     Jieun stared at her school uniform that hung on the doorknob and crouched down in front of it. The school uniform of a young witch was what she had always dreamed of; a beautiful ebony robe that hung down with a dark blue ribbon. On the right chest area was a brown nametag that was etched Suzy's name. The etching was uneven and had scratch marks on the side, unlike Baekhyun's brand new nametag. 

She stood up and stared at Suzy's broomstick in the corner of the room. 

It was torn and bushy, yet it amazed Jieun so much that this could make Suzy fly. 

"Good Morning," a soft voice came from behind and Jieun jolted in surprise as she looked back to see Suzy rubbing her eyes. 

"Morning," Jieun smiled back and walked back to her bed, glancing at Suzy.

"Is it raining outside?" Suzy asked, her face hardening a little.

"A little bit," Jieun said as she lifted the curtain. "Not too heavy."

"Hey," Suzy hesitated for a second and spoke. 

"Yeah?"

"The..." she paused as she looked at Jieun's smiling face. "Nothing."

"Go and freshen up. I'll check on the guys and prepare breakfast." Jieun said excitedly as she hopped out of her room. Suzy sighed and bit her lips, looking around the room. She couldn't demand for Baekhyun's nametag at Jieun's smiling face, especially when Jieun gave her a place to sleep. 

The rain was getting heavier and she wasn't sure how Kyungsoo's plan to get home was going to work. 

 

     Jieun knocked on the door of the rooftop room, slowly opening the door and peeking through the crack. 

She saw Jisoo sleeping on the couch with a white wool blanket strewn over his lower body. His long legs dangled down from the couch and his foot led Jieun to Baekhyun and Kyungsoo sleeping on the mattress on the floor. Jieun smiled at the sight of the two cuddling each other as they shared one blanket, squirming whenever the other pulled the blanket closer to their side. 

     Jisoo woke to the sound of heavy raindrops pattering against the glass ceiling.

He got up and opened the door, exposing Jieun who was peeping through the cracks. 

"Creepy much?" he blurted as he looked down at her crouching on the floor, startled. 

"I was just about to knock..!" Jieun shouted back, awkwardly standing up.

Baekhyun and Kyungsoo opened their eyes to the sound of commotion and saw the thick raindrops pattering against the glass ceiling. Kyungsoo sat up and rubbed his eyes, looking for his spectacles on the floor. He slipped his spectacles on and saw Jieun smiling at him, a grumpy Jisoo standing beside her. 

"Good morning," Jieun greeted warmly. 

Kyungsoo nodded back awkwardly and shook Baekhyun, watching as he sat up with his eyes half-closed. He glanced at the wall clock and checked the time, making sure that all his belongings were in the place that he left it before he went to sleep. 

"Breakfast will be ready in a few," Jieun smiled nervously, aware of Kyungsoo's annoyed face.

"That won't be necessary," Kyungsoo said as he stood up and grabbed his school uniform. "We'll be leaving now."

"What- we're leaving now?" Baekhyun blurted as his eyes followed Kyungsoo who busily circled the room, grabbing his things.

"Yes we're leaving now Baekhyun," Kyungsoo glared fiercely at Baekhyun and grabbed his backpack, throwing it at Baekhyun's face. 

"Breakfast is only going to take a second-"

"I said we're fine." Kyungsoo shot, startling everyone in the room especially Baekhyun.

Kyungsoo never, never, got angry. This was the first time Baekhyun had seen Kyungsoo raise his voice. 

"Sorry," Kyungsoo sighed. "But we really need to get home." 

Before Kyungsoo could speak another word, his stomach growled.

 

--

     "This is really good," Baekhyun said as he took a bite of the french toast that Jieun made for the group.

"I can make some more if you guyses are hungry," Jieun said carefully, eyeing Kyungsoo who poked at the toast and took one small bite. A small grin crept up the corner of each time she stole a glance of Kyungsoo. 

Jieun poured a glass of milk and placed it in front of Kyungsoo, eyeing him as he avoided eye contact with her. 

"Do you have his nametag?" Kyungsoo asked, staring right into Jieun's eyes. 

"T..the nametag?" she stuttered, flustered. 

"I need it," Baekhyun said as he stuffed his mouth full of toast. 

"Yeah, it should be somewhere in my room..." Before Jieun finished her sentence, Kyungsoo stood up and walked towards her. Jieun gulped and watched as his round little face got closer to her and she could see his thin double eyelids past his spectacles. 

"Please lead the way," Kyungsoo gestured for her to lead him into her room.

She awkwardly walked into her room, searching for the nametag on her desk. 

It was strange, she had left it on the desk but now it wasn't here. Jieun bit her lips and looked back at Kyungsoo with a nervous grin. 

"What?" he asked.

"The thing is," she said quietly. "I swear I left it on my desk but it's not here but I will definitely look for it-"

"YOU LOST IT?!" Kyungsoo roared, his eyes widening and his ears going red from the madness.

Jieun froze in her spot, shocked.

The Kyungsoo she had seen in her dreams was so sweet and gentle, but the Kyungsoo in front of her eyes was a little far from what she had imagined.

"What's going on?" Jisoo burst into the room, instinctively shielding Jieun with his right arm. Suzy and Baekhyun followed after, startled at Kyungsoo's loud voice.

"How could you lose it?!" Kyungsoo screamed so loud that the veins in his neck popped up. 

"Lose what?" Jisoo retorted, glaring at Kyungsoo.

"She lost Baekhyun's nametag," Kyungsoo seethed as he pointed his fingers at Jieun. "Do you know what that means to us?"

"Listen here little wizard boy," Jisoo shoved Kyungsoo on the chest and looked down at his face. "Jieun may have lost the nametag but that is no way for you to speak to her. She's the one that saved your homeless from the streets."

"Homeless ?!" Kyungsoo grabbed Jisoo's collar and Jisoo grabbed him back, punching him on the mouth. Kyungsoo fell to the ground and bounced right back up, punching Jisoo right in the eye. The two entwined with each other, trying to get on top of each other as they attacked like 10-year-old boys fighting over the last toy in the aisle.

"Hey Hey STOP IT!" Baekhyun pushed through and pulled the two apart. "What are you guys doing?!" 

Kyungsoo sat on the floor, wiping the blood off his mouth. 

     Jisoo watched silently as Jieun grabbed a bunch of tissues and crouched down before Kyungsoo, trying to dab his scar. Kyungsoo awkwardly took the tissue from her hand and pressed it against his mouth, hissing at the pain. 

"Seriously," Suzy sighed. "What are you guys, 10?" 

Suzy helped Kyungsoo up and before anyone could open their mouth, Jisoo stormed out of the room. 

"Great," Suzy rolled her eyes. 

Jieun sighed and chased after Jisoo, leaving the three in the room. 

"Ok," Baekhyun blinked twice. "What was that?

"You think I wouldn't lose my temper?"

"We can find the nametag Kyungsoo," Baekhyun said unbelievably. "What's wrong with you? You're not this kind of person." 

"Is it her?" Suzy asked, crossing her arms. 

Kyungsoo stared at her, refusing to answer.

"I know you're skeptical of people here and especially of Jieun, but she helped us. I know she's been sending you those negative vibes in your dreams but they're just your dreams Kyungsoo. Those dreams pertain to nothing in this world and we will get home. It's just going to take a little longer than we expected." 

"We're here because of you," Kyungsoo shot and stormed out of the room. 

"Ok, why does it go that way?" Suzy said disbelievingly. 

"Well, he's right-'

"Shut up," Suzy shoved Baekhyun and walked out of the room. 

 

     "Jisoo," Jieun chased after Jisoo who stormed into the basement floor. 

"Unbelievable," Jisoo said as he spun around to face her.

"What?" Jieun retorted, confused. She had never seen Jisoo this mad. 

"Why do you let him treat you like that?" 

"What do you mean?! This is a new world for him, he's just terrified and scared. That's why he's sensitive."

"Are you listening to yourself?"

"Ok, why are you getting so worked up over all of this? Why did you punch him out of the blue?"

"He's a real piece of -"

"Hey," Jieun said firmly. 

"You know what I really think? You've just met them Jieun. You don't even know who they are and you keep thinking that they are wizards who can fly in the sky and that they've come here to save you. Ok yes, maybe they can fly and maybe they are real wizards. But do you know dangerous it is what you are doing?"

"I know what I'm doing Jisoo," she rubbed her temples. "I'm not crazy."

"He's getting that mad over you losing a nametag," he gestured with his hands, deeply annoyed. "That's not normal."

"I know what you're worried about but seriously, you don't need to worry. I got this under control." Jieun rubbed his shoulders and walked up the stairs, exiting the basement. Jisoo watched her, lost in thoughts. 

 

     Jieun entered the living room and saw the three sitting on the sofa, quiet. 

"Hey so um," she paused to look at Kyungsoo who stared into the air. "I'll look for the nametag. I'm really sorry."

"It's ok," Baekhyun nodded.

"But I don't think it's right for us to stay here any longer." Suzy stood up and Jieun realized that they were all dressed in their school uniforms, ready to leave. 

"I," Jieun stuttered.

"Thanks for the night. If you do find Baekhyun's nametag, just place it inside the mailbox. We'll come to check it every day."

"Where will you go?" Jieun asked, stopping them as they got up to leave. "You don't know anyone here."

"We don't really know you either," Kyungsoo said as he stood up and hung his backpack on his right shoulder. 

A faint sadness filled Jieun's eyes as she forced a smile and nodded.

"Goodbye," Baekhyun said lightly and the three walked to the door. Jieun watched from the window as they walked out of the apartment and stared at the rain that was pouring from the sky.

"Wait!" Jieun called and chased after them, running down the stairs. 

The three stared at Jieun as she gave them an umbrella, the exact one that she was holding when she saw them for the first time. 

"What's this?" Baekhyun asked as he stared at the umbrella.

"It's pouring," she said. "You'll need it."

     The three just stared at the umbrella, unsure of whether they should take it or not. Jieun sighed and opened the umbrella, grabbing Kyungsoo's hand and placing it firmly in his fingers.

"We really don't need it," Kyungsoo said, struggling to fold the umbrella. "We wouldn't even be able to give it back-"

"No need to give it back," she nodded. "I'll give it to you. It's my parting gift." 

"Are you sure?" Suzy asked, noticing a hint of sadness in Jieun's eyes. 

"Of course," she smiled. "I have plenty of those in my room." 

Suzy snatched the umbrella from Kyungsoo and the three smiled at Jieun, going their way as they scurried under the umbrella. 

 

Jieun watched as they walked out of the apartment complex, gone from her sight.