001.

Potato Stew

Wonwoo and Soonyoung are siblings. Their mother and father have meet a tragic end. The mother has a stage three lung cancer. Their father has been hospitalized for constant alcohol poisoning. With both of their parents hospitalized, the siblings were forced to take care of themselves. Soonyoung does most of the cooking and Wonwoo, on the other hand, does all the housework.

 

The siblings entered the hospital, ready with a basket of fruits.

    “Mother, we’re here,” Wonwoo whispered.

    “Welcome my boys,” the mother weakly said.

    “We brought you some pears. We know it’s your favorite,” Soonyoung added.

    “Thank you.”

The mother cupped the pear within her hands and continued to smile.

    “Mother, are you going to be alright?”

    “Of course Wonwoo. I will get healt-.”

The mother coughed and coughed. She started shiver as blood was coughed out.

    “MOTHER!”
    “I’m fine.”

    “M-mother…”

    “Aww. Don’t cry Soonyoung. Wonwoo. I told you, mother will become healthy in no time. I will get back to the house, with your father, and I will cook you boys your favorites. We will be happy again.”

    “Mother,” Wonwoo said in between sniffs.

The boys knew, their mother would never become healthy again. They knew that medicine these days wouldn't be enough to save their mother. They knew too well. Sometimes, it was better not to know anything.

    “Why don’t you boys go visit your father in the next room. Mother is tired.”

“Okay, good night mother…”    

 

    “Father?” Soonyoung said as he peaked his head through the door.

Silence.

    “Father, we brought you apples and pears,” Wonwoo smiled.

Silence once more.

    “Come here boys…”

The two boys walked over to the bed and suddenly, the father tightly embraced the two.

    “I’m sorry boys for being so weak…”

This was enough to make the boys cry.

    “It’s not your fault dad,” the raven haired boy would cry.

    “It’s our fault for not being able to notice your and mom’s pain,” the older would cry.

    “Thanks boys. I am so proud of you guys. Please continue to live. Stay strong.”

Still, the boys would cry. The tears would never stop.

    “Father, you’re going to get better right?” the older sniffed.

    “Right?” Wonwoo asked.

All the dad could say was:

    “I’m sorry boys…”

The siblings left the hospital with red, puffy eyes. Soonyoung could still feel his parents’ warmth. He missed it. Wonwoo tried to comfort his brother; however, he too, started to cry again. They were both used to this scenario.

    “Wonwoo, let’s go to the market,” Sooyoung finally whispered.

    “Why?” the raven haired asked between sniffs.

    “I’m going to make you your favorite: potato stew.”

    “Mother’s potato stew?”

    “Yep, mother’s potato stew…”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm sorry for my rusty writing. I can't write these days. Please put up with my rusty writing... (;u;) I hope you guys enjoy.