You Scratch My Back I Scratch Yours

Good Enough

Though school was taking up a lot of your free time it didn’t take too much prodding from Luhan, one of your few close friends in college, to convince you to go shopping with him. His excuses consisted of ridiculous claims on your health for studying too much or secluding yourself. You couldn’t help it. Finals were nearing and you needed as much time to prepare as you could get.

“___, come on.” Luhan gripped your arm and looked at you imploringly. “It’s a small shopping trip. I need your opinion on some things and you have to get out of your apartment.” He tugged you along as he chattered away.

“Remind me why I’m still friends with you?” You smirked at him, sarcasm apparent. He snorted and gasped dramatically as you both walked out of the lobby and onto the streets.

“Friends or not you’d fail Mandarin without me.” He made a good point as he was the only native speaker you knew.

Your apartment was nestled in one of the busiest areas in the city and it was rush hour. Luhan’s hand on your arm tightened slightly as you approached crowds trying to navigate the surrounding markets. The crowds of ever flowing people never bothered you. In fact you found it incredibly enjoyable. Fascinated by all the interactions you observed day in and day out from your window during study breaks. Squeezing your arm closer to your side you pulled him along now through the throng of shoppers and random business people.

“Where are we going again?” You asked, half curious and also wanting to distract him from panicking. He hated crowds. It made him anxious.

“Huh? Oh head for main street. There are some new shops and I gotta pick something up” He replied, only shifting his focus from directly in front of him to your eyes momentarily before going back. Nodding you turned for main street and waited for the crosswalk light to shift. Traffic crawled on by and you mused about why anyone bothered with the crosswalk signals during rush hour in the city.

“How’s Minseok?” You turned to ask as he nudged you to cross.

“Minnie’s great! He got a job at a café so he’s not cooped up in the dorms anymore. His uniform is so cute. When I get a proper picture I’ll send it to you right away” You couldn’t help but smile to yourself. Minseok was Luhan’s kitty who he got not long after he started classes. Technically he wasn’t supposed to have pets in the dorms but his RA fell for the kitty’s charms almost immediately.

“That’s right! We have a kitty café now, don’t we?” You remember seeing construction for it awhile back. With new laws and restrictions being thrown around about kitty’s the city had pooled together and given the pets a safe space.

“Mhm. It’ll open next week I think. I’ll ask Minnie to make sure though. You’ll go to the grand opening with me right?” He mumbled, fixing his serious gaze on you.

“I don’t have much of a choice do I?” You laughed at his indignant squawk and gave a wide grin. “Of course I’ll go. I love coffee and I want to support him.” His serious expression faded as soon as it appeared as he pulled you into the nearest shop. “What do we need from-“you glanced up at the sign before you went through the door “Rick’s Restorations?” You could feel your face screw up into confusion as you followed your friend. He’d let go of your arm the moment you went inside and was on a mission towards the front desk.

“Hello again! How may I help you sir?” A kind faced elderly man smiled at Luhan and nodded in your direction. Giving a small wave you wandered away a little bit to browse as he went to business. It was only funny to watch Luhan shop if he was bargaining in the market with elderly ladies over fresh fruit that Minseok loved. You always made sure to tell the stories to the cat hybrid later over coffee until you both were laughing so hard you cried.

It seemed to be an antique like shop with neat trinkets mixed in. Some were very expensive which you assumed was due to the amount of restoration work that went into them while others were simply resale at lower prices.

“Thanks again, sir! He’ll love it.” You turned to Luhan as he came down the aisle you were in. “Look, it’s an antique coffee bean grinder. He’ll love it, I’m sure of it” He gushed as he unraveled a bit of its protective cover. Once again a smile crept onto your face. Honestly as much as they complained to each other Luhan truly cared for Minseok and vice versa.

“I think he will too.” You agreed, beginning to walk towards the door. “I’m surprised you shop here though. You’re not one for antiques Lu.”

“To be honest you’re right but we were taking a walk and it was in the window. He glanced at it and then full on stopped and talked about it for a good while. I could tell he really liked it so, ya know” He shrugged as he tried to hide the blush playing on his cheeks. “To celebrate his new job and the grand opening.”

“Aha! That’s why you want me to go! You’re scared to give the gift to him alone aren’t you?” You burst out, jabbing an accusing finger in his arm.

“_____, please just drop it. You already agreed to go with me” He whined your name pleadingly. Oh no, his irresistible pout. You immediately looked away and continued walking.

“Yeah yeah I know I promise I’ll go.” You huffed, peeking at him through your bangs. “That’s still cute as hell though, Lu” The teasing tone morphed his pout into distaste. In rebellion he dragged you into several more shops than he had planned on before to thoroughly exhaust you.

Two hours later and several new clothes in your possession you both were sitting on a bench in the main park with bubble tea. Luhan had stopped in a thrift store after you’d mentioned in passing about wanting to change up your wardrobe a little bit. The fashion show that ensued had not only entertained the two of you but several other shoppers. Afterwards you’d forced him to sit down and treat you.

“Anywhere else you need to go before I make my escape?” You asked between sips. He gave you a dirty look and he nodded while he sipped his tea, much to your disappointment. While this was fun you really did have finals to study for.

“One more. Then you can go home.” He said, glaring at you as held up his index finger for emphasis. “I saved the best for last!” He grinned mischievously, pulling you up with him. You shook your head and looked to the darkening skies in exasperation.

Walking up to the shop you didn’t even bat an eye. It was tastefully designed and had lots of cute new products in the window display. Why this was the best you didn’t really understand but you assumed he just had to get somethings for himself and Minseok once again. Exodus was the go to kitty needs shop for the city. It was the biggest kitty supply store in the city as it was an SM Inc. brand name. Which meant everything was extremely overpriced and not necessarily better. Surprisingly Luhan hadn’t bought his own kitty here. Minseok was bought at a smaller kennel near the campus. Luhan had walked by and swooned upon seeing the kitty sweeping up inside, and after many walk by’s and stolen glances, Luhan had gone in and spoken to Minseok. Two weeks later you were introduced to the adorable coffee loving ginger cat hybrid.

“___, over here. What do you think of these?” Luhan waved you over to some collars he was looking at. One was simple black leather with flat pressed silver skull studs. The other was flashy red leather with flat squared gold studs.

“Personally? The red one.” You said, glancing around before looking back. He nodded and put the black one back. “Do they actually have kitties here, Lu?”

“We do, are you two interested?” A cool voice responded from behind you. Whipping around you were greeted with a gorgeous black cat hybrid with a very fitting face. He had you swallowing harshly before trying to respond. Gosh how the term cat got your tongue would fit here.

“O-Oh no I just wanted to see the kitties. He’s the one with a kitty” You stuttered, motioning to Luhan who was peering over your shoulder at the hybrid. Said hybrid grinned and turned around, tail flicking behind him for the two of you to follow.

“They’re back here in the adoption center. You’re more than welcome to mingle with them. They love visitors!” He called over his shoulder. The urge to watch his hips swing while he walked was strong and you commended yourself or only looking a few times. Pulling aside a curtain he gestured for you to go ahead into the room beyond. Upon walking in you saw many hybrids lazing about, playing, or even interacting with some other customers. “If you need anything my name is Jongdae” He grinned, brushing past you to assist a couple playing with a cute female kitty.

“I’m going to pick out a few more things, ___. When you’re done just come find me” Luhan patted your shoulder then turned back out into the main store. Nodding even though he was gone you began to wander around. You smiled at several hybrids. Some were shy while others barely hid the want for adoption in their eyes. Your eyes settled on a quiet dozing brown tabby who barely paid you any mind when you approached.

“May I pet you?” You asked, crouching down to where he was sprawled out on the floor, eyeing you. He shrugged a thin shoulder and made some grunting noise before you decided to reach out. You scratched behind his chocolate ears before moving between them. A gruff purr rose from his chest and his eyes slid shut in contentment. You enjoyed pets as much as the next person but you didn’t think you had the time for them. Telling yourself seeing Minseok every once in awhile was enough for you helped too.

“Sehunnie, why do they always pet you? You always look so grumpy!” A rough grumble sounded from above. Looking up you were met with a crotch clothed in tight black pants. Gulping, you forced yourself to continue upwards. You had thought before the cat had got your tongue, but that had been nothing compared to this. Gorgeous honey colored skin, golden hair and fur with black markings, and a face to kill.

“Maybe because I don’t jump on everything that walks, idiot.” The kitty below you, Sehunnie you supplied, replied with a stretch before standing up beside the golden furred kitty. The other huffed at the brown tabby and shoved at his arm in distaste. He then extended a hand towards you. You took it and reveled in his firm grip and warmth.

“Hi! I’m Zitao!” He smiled sweetly down at you. Damn was he tall. You gazed up at him and backed away a little bit suddenly feeling shy for being so close to him. The slightly shorter tabby snorted and shuffled away with a murmured ‘good luck’ in your general direction. Your eyes flicked to his back then to the other hybrid shyly. Like Jongdae he has a very feline like face, but it was that much more striking. He was gorgeous and he looked every bit SM Inc. certified.

“H-hi. I’m ___.” You managed finally after what was too long of a pause. If he noticed he didn’t seem to care. In fact he seemed to love your awe struck behavior, preening under it even. A knowing smirk had settled on his shapely mouth and his tail was waving behind him lazily. His eyes crinkled when the smirk turned into a smile and oh no your heart was melting.

“It suits you, ___.” He kept the smile as he cocked his head prettily. You really loved how he said your name and you tried to tell yourself you totally weren’t watching his mouth as he spoke. Not at all. He pulled up the hand you didn’t realize he was still holding and entangled his fingers with yours giving you another sweet smile. “So ___, are you adopting?” His almost black eyes shone with hope and his tone was earnest. You smiled back and instantly regretted it when he took that as a yes. He was about to say something with so much enthusiasm that his ears and tail were flicking excitedly.

“___! You still back here?” Luhan called, causing you to turn towards the curtain. He glanced around before spotting you and walking over. “There you are. So I was thinking-whoa” His rambling is cut off when he find your hand being held by Zitao. He looks up at him. “We went to all that work to pick one out and here you go picking the complete opposite of what we had planned” He grumbled, appraising the hybrid in front of you.

“What?” You sputtered, trying to keep up with him but he was already wandering around the kitty, hand on his chin. He poked and prodded at Zitao earning himself some barely veiled dirty looks. He wormed his way between the two of you and mumbled again. Lifting up Zitao’s black sweater and letting out an appreciative whistle. “L-Luhan! You don’t just do that oh my god!” You sputtered once more and move to push the material down.

Or, you would have, but suddenly, you understood your best friend’s whistle. More honey colored skin was on display now. Taunt muscle with a cute trail of blond hair leading down into tight pants. You quickly slapped Luhan’s hands away while glaring at him and pushed the sweater down. Pointedly you didn’t meet the hybrid’s eyes but he seemed totally unfazed by what just transpired.

“You just had to pick him, didn’t you?” His light brown eyes slide to yours in exasperation. You made a confused face at him and your hands rose to complete the look. Zitao giggled. Luhan sighed and cocked a hip. “Minnie and I came here awhile back because we thought you needed company. He suggested a fish but that’s completely asinine so I brought him here. We had a kitty all picked out for you. He was perfect!” His foot stomped as he practically ed you out for something you still didn’t completely understand. “What am I gonna tell Min…” He drags a hand through his hair and appraised the clearly amused hybrid. You fumed.

“Luhan. What. The. .” You’re teeth clenched tight and your fists shook at your sides. Zitao’s ears flattened and he backed away a little as you watch the stubborn expression on Luhan’s face bloom. “You can’t just do that. I’m perfectly fine on my own. I manage to scrape by and pay my rent and work to pay for my loans. I interact with people as often as I want to. I’m fine. I get that you’re trying to be a good friend but you can’t just meddle with things as big as this!” You tried to not raise your voice but he was already rolling his eyes at you.

“You’re alone like, all the time ___! I know you’re capable of taking care of a pet. I see how you look at Minseok and I too. He worries about you…” Luhan was all but in your face speaking lowly. . The mention of Minseok sparked a sharp stab in your gut. You would never admit to them but you did envy their companionship. You didn’t date. It just wasn’t interesting to you after so many failed relationships. You kept things platonic. You told yourself that friends and yourself was all you ever needed. You bit your lip, spiteful of the prickling tears threatening to flow.

“Regardless I simply can’t afford one. Especially not from here, Lu.” You leveled with him. Your eyes slid to the silent hybrid who had been watching the entire ordeal. This was going to . “Zitao, I’m really sorry. You’re a gorgeous hybrid and you’re very sweet. I can’t afford to get a kitty right now. I’m sorry if I got your hopes up.” That was all you could give but it sounded so lame. His ears drooped only for a moment and his mouth was turned down at the edges. To his credit he tried his best not to show how crestfallen he was at the news by schooling his features. It tugged at your gut, the stab from earlier becoming worse, twisting.

“___, don’t do this. We just wanted to help.” Luhan started but you held a hand up to stop him.

“Sorry to interrupt,” Jongdae’s silky voice cuts in causing everyone to turn towards him. “but I think I have a solution.” If you and Luhan had cat ears they would have been standing at attention just like Zitao’s were. “Zitao here is practically a kitten still when it comes to hybrids.” Zitao looked like he wanted to protest but was silenced with a narrowed gaze from the other. “Because of this we have a trial period set up in case of second guesses or if any problems arise. I’ve seen a lot of people come in and look at hybrids like toys but you have a good feeling about you.” Jongdae looked only at you now, face sincere.

“So you’re saying ___ could temporarily adopt him? To try it out?” . Luhan bounced in place and you almost wanted to strangle the black furred hybrid despite the compliment he just gave you.

“Lu. Shut it.” He bites his lip but still couldn’t contain his excitement. You turned back to Jongdae. “Wouldn’t that hurt him more? Look, Jongdae. I’m in college. I’m paying student loans and my rent. I have a part time job that keeps me out of the house quite often. I need to spend time studying for finals. He’ll never get enough attention even if I did manage to afford all his basic expenses.” Not risking a look at the kitten you kept focused on the other hybrid, hoping he got the message.

“Come with me please, ___” Apparently not. Jongdae moved past the three of you. Heaving a sigh you followed. He opened the door to an office and allowed you inside, shutting the door behind you. “Please, sit.” You did, albeit reluctantly.

“I don’t want to be rude but I really can’t adopt him. I’m sorry.” There. Done. Nothing to talk about. You tried to get up again only to be pinned to your spot by the same narrowed gaze Zitao received earlier except this time it’s accompanied by a smile.

“Your friends are doing this for you and I’m doing this for my friends.” He began, hands folding neatly on the desk between you both. “Zitao is lucky to still be in our kennel to be very frank with you. He has many people interested in him but they either fail the background check or if they manage to pass it return him before the trial period expires.” You blanched at the first fact and grew confused at the second. “Like I said, he’s practically a kitten still. He craves affection and attention. The few who have attempted to adopt him before simply couldn’t handle it. They had office jobs or were looking for a toy.” Jongdae continued to explain and the disgust was apparent in his tone.

“That’s absolutely horrible and I promise you it’s breaking my heart but I already explained I don’t have time for him either.” A hand came up to interrupt you.

“Let me make this even more clear for you then. Zitao is an Egyptian Mau, a golden one at that. That’s a prized cat breed. We don’t normally see hybrids of them as they can be demanding and self-righteous. He’s rare but he also isn’t showing any promise in finding a permanent home.” While that explained the kitten’s beauty you still couldn’t quite grasp what the hell he was getting at. With a frustrated hiss the other finally broke his professionalism. “I’m saying he is a very affordable price right now!” Oh. Oh.

“I’m going to be very honest with you too ___. He will probably be a pain in your sometimes but he will be devoted to you if you are to him. That kid loves wholeheartedly.” There was a fierce fondness in the older hybrids voice that shook you. “He needs a good, safe, forever home with someone who will really appreciate him.”

“What makes you think that’s me, Jongdae.” You didn’t know why you opened your big mouth but you met his eyes and held your ground. He leaned back a little and his expression softened.

“When your friends came in I was the one who helped them pick out a potential kitty for you.” Ah. Now you understood the grin he gave you and Luhan when you’d arrived. “They both went on and on describing you to me. Since this wasn’t a typical adoption and they also stressed to me that you weren’t always home I had chosen one of our older hybrids for you. A ragdoll named Joonmyun. He was laid back, understanding, and a good starter kitty for the inexperienced owner. Also your parenting habits would have complimented each other well” A chuckle escaped him and you refrained from rolling your eyes.

“Then I watched Zitao approach you. We usually stop him because he ends up being disappointed. I wanted to see though.” He had an odd look in his eyes once again. “Yes your attraction to his was obvious but it wasn’t what we’d seen before. You appreciated him while others saw something to devour.” Your attraction was obvious? , hadn’t Minseok said something about hybrids being able to read people well? Something about animal instincts? You felt the blush in your ears as you wrung your hands together in your lap. This made him chuckle once more before continuing.

“If that wasn’t enough, you even were kind enough to address him after fighting with your friend in front of him. I’m not sure if you did it consciously but you assured him he wasn’t in trouble. That he wasn’t at fault. No one was angry with him. That’s huge for him, ___. He tends to internalize a lot of his feelings.” Jongdae was leaning forward now, hands planted on the desk as he continued to explain his case. “I don’t do this ever. I’m not supposed to do this but please.” He rose from his chair and grasped your hands in his. “Please consider adopting Zitao. I think you would be very good for him and maybe even he for you.” You couldn’t help but look up into Jongdae’s face. It was so open to you that you felt your resolve finally fading.

“I’m. I’m not promising anything but I will think about this.” You sighed, looking at your hands in his before meeting his eyes once more. “I owe you that much.” This would be denied later but you had given him a small smile with your statement. The hybrid’s face broke into kittenish glee as he shook your clutched hands up and down.

“That means more than you know, thank you so much ___!” He gushed, pulling you from the chair and towards the door. “If you have any questions please call the store or wait- actually; here!” He rushed back towards the desk scrambled in the drawers before scratching something on a small notecard. “This is my personal email. Send me all your questions and concerns as soon as you can and I’ll reply immediately.” He shoved it into your hand excitedly and then proceeded to push you out the door.

Luhan and several of the hybrids were huddled on a large rug close to the office door, and many pairs of eyes shot up when you were shoved out. Zitao was among them and once again the hopeful look was playing in his dark eyes, but his expression was passive. Jongdae grinned and shook your hand furiously again before he turned to the hybrids and began shooing them away.

“So~?” Luhan implored, leaning to the side to see your face as he walked next to you. Ignoring him you walked up to Zitao who was both excited and nervous.

“Zitao,” He perked up instantly and gave you a sugar sweet smile. “Hold on. This isn’t a yes and this isn’t a no. I’ve got a lot to think about and some questions that need answering.” You studied his expression closely but he must have picked up on how to mask it somewhere along the way because he gave nothing away about how he felt. “I will be back though. Whether my answer is yes or no I promise that I will tell you to your face. I won’t leave you hanging.” You didn’t know why but you lifted your pinky to him, face serious. He blinked, scoffed a bit, but tentatively put his own pinky around yours. Linking them together, you squeezed lightly and grinned at him. “Pinky promise.” It would be denied later but he always thought your pinky promises were absolutely adorable.

“Thank you, ___...” He whispered shyly before pulling away and walking off to where the other hybrids had disappeared. You watched him go with a fond smile on your face before Luhan exploded into your field of vision.

“Earth to ___! The shop is closing come on.” He tried to act mad but he couldn’t keep the eating grin off his face as he linked arms with you. Jongdae waved to you both as you walked out and back onto the streets. The moon was rising now and the nightlife was starting to pour out.

“So,” Luhan chimed as you neared another crosswalk.

“Don’t.”

“When are you adopting him?” He all but sang into your ear and you were suddenly thankful you had bags in your hands preventing you from hitting him.

“Lu~” You sang back sweetly. “Shut up before I push you into oncoming traffic”

“You wouldn’t! Minnie would never forgive you!” He gasped. All you did was turn to him slightly and give him a level stare.

“Try me.”