Room 126

Room 126

Eager to have any kind of work experience, you applied for everything and anything. So it didn't faze you when all you could take on was to be a volunteer at a psychiatric hospital. It was pretty simple: you bring the families of the residents anything they may need, sit with patients that have no visitors or simply act as a good listener when needed. 

One day a doctor on staff directs you to Room 126 where the patient Im Changkyun was. He explained to you that Changkyun is undergoing a long term evaluation. He said that the patient is very much alert but does not respond to anyone that attempts to interact with him. The doctor suggested that you sit with the patient on the next day, perhaps to read him a novel or tell him stories in the hopes that a fresh face who is neither staff nor patient will garner a positive response. 

You sign in the following day with a copy of your favorite book in hand and sat at Changkyun's bedside to read. "Hello Changkyun!" You greeted him cheerfully and then introduced yourself. "I'm a volunteer here and i'm very glad to make your acquaintance." He was lying down on his bed, his blank stare fixed on the ceiling. It was as if you weren't even in the room. "Well," you cleared your throat. "I have my favorite book here with me, The Hobbit. Since i'm going to keep you company for a while, I thought I could read to you." 

You waited for a response of any kind but still nothing. You even had to watch him for a few minutes just to check if he was blinking. "So anyway..." You started to read aloud but after a few chapters, he turned his back to you and faced the wall. "Do you want me to stop?" You asked and of course he didn't answer. After a while, you checked and saw that his eyes were closed. Whether he was actually asleep, you weren't sure. You completed reading another chapter anyway just in case he was listening and when you finished you closed the book and prepared to leave. "See you tomorrow Changkyun..." You said softly before exiting the room. 

That evening you spoke with your brother about Room 126. "Do you know what's the matter with him?" He asked curiously. "Not really. I just know that he's undergoing a long term evaluation." You sighed. "Well why don't you ask the doctors if he's a nut job or not?" He pried. "I don't think they're allowed to disclose that information. After all, i'm only a volunteer." You puffed your cheeks out in frustration. 

The next day you entered Room 126 with a big smile on your face. "Good afternoon Changkyun!" You beamed. He was facing you but he didn't pay any attention to you nor even glanced at you. "Its a lovely day outside, the sun is shining. I was wondering if maybe you wanted to take a walk out in the grounds? I'll be glad to accompany you." You blabbered. He blinked, shifted his position and stared at the ceiling once more. You sighed but sat on your usual seat by his bedside anyway, took your book out and began reading to him.

Changkyun does not respond for days on end and you tried your hardest for it not to affect you. You always entered Room 126 with high hopes that maybe he would start speaking to you but you always leave disappointed. You asked a few of the doctors about Changkyun and his condition but none of them told you anything as it was confidential. Your brother suggested that you should just look for his file but you didn’t want to get in trouble.

One afternoon he finally made eye contact with you, the hint of a smile on his features, looking forward to continuing the story. You felt overwhelmed by the small gesture, suddenly hit by the realization that in spite of Changkyun's complete and utter silence, you have grown incredibly fond of him. As the book progressed, so does the connection between volunteer and patient. And when the last page has been read aloud, he finally spoke to you. “Thank you.” He said. You looked at him with wide eyes. He blinked at you. 

“Say that again.” You said. Changkyun’s brows furrowed. “What?” 

“Talk. Say anything.” You pressed. Changkyun smiled and shook his head. “It’s really nice finally hear your voice you know.” You admitted. He only kept smiling at you as a response. You didn’t want to push your luck so you just studied his face. You couldn’t deny the fact that he was very attractive. “Is something wrong?” He disturbed your train of thoughts. “Err.. Did you like the book?” You uttered. He nodded. “I like your voice. Its very soothing.” He told you. You liked his voice too but you didn’t tell him that. 

After you left Room 126 that afternoon, you immediately went to one of the doctors and told him that Changkyun finally spoke to you. He advised you that for the next day you should try to get him out of his room and mix with the other patients. Feeling elated, you went home and told your brother all about it. “Be careful okay?” He said. “Huh? Be careful about what?” You mused. “Don’t get attached to this person. He’s unstable. He’s not well.” You gaped at him. “How can you say that? You don’t even know him!” You screeched. You couldn’t understand why you suddenly felt so protective of Changkyun. Your brother sighed. “Do you? You don’t even know why he’s in there. There’s a reason why he’s in a psychiatric hospital.” He reminded you. 

The next afternoon you managed to get Changkyun out of his room. “See, its nice to be out right?” You told him happily. He shrugged in response. So far the only words he uttered were “hello”, “i’m fine” and “okay”. You walked along the grounds of the hospital in silence. You kept looking up at him and wishing that you could read his mind. “Changkyun~ can I ask you something?” You whispered. “Sure.” He nodded. “Why are you admitted in this hospital? You seem sane.” You were careful with your choice of words. The last thing you wanted was to offend him or upset him. He stopped in his tracks and then faced you. “You mean, you don’t know?” He questioned. You shook your head. 

“You don’t want to know.” He sighed and carried on walking. “You can trust me.” You told him sincerely. He smiled and looked up at the blue sky. “I know. But I prefer that you didn’t know.” He breathed. Soon it was time to accompany back to his room. He sat on his bed and watched you inch closer to the door. “Promise me you’ll come back for me?” He said meekly. You turned to him and grinned. “Of course I’ll come back. I’ll be here again tomorrow. Do you want me to bring a specific book?” You asked. Changkyun shook his head. “Your presence would be more than enough.” Your heart fluttered at his words.

The following day you were informed that Changkyun was out with the other patients in the grounds. You left two books in Room 126 and went to look for him. You found him sitting on one of the benches on his own, staring blankly at the pavement. “Hey Changkyun!” You called out. His face lit up upon seeing you. “You came back for me. You really did.” He took your hand and held it. You felt your face heat up because of the contact. “I told you, i’ll come back.” You patted his hand gently. He smiled and entwined his fingers with you. You laughed lightly and sat down next to him. For a while you were both quiet, him playing with your fingers. 

“I have bipolar disorder.” He broke the silence. You took your hand away from his grasp when you clocked a couple of staff looking towards your direction. “I’ve been in and out of different hospitals. I won’t be surprised if I’ll be moved to a different one again soon.” You fidgeted at his words. “Why would you move?” You felt sorry for him and you felt incredibly helpless. “Because I’m not responding well to any of the treatments. I won’t be cured. I will never be normal.” He sighed. There was nothing else you could say or do to make his situation better. “But these past few weeks have been so amazing because of you.” He took your hand again. 

For the next couple of days the doctors told you how impressed they are with you. They said that you have been the best volunteer they have had in a while and what you have done with Changkyun was incredible. “Promise me you’ll come back for me.” He told you once again after one afternoon of walking together. “I promise.” You beamed. He gave you the sweetest smile which made your heart skip a beat. “See you tomorrow!” You waved at him and left. 

“Good aftern--” You looked around Room 126 in confusion. It was empty. The bed was stripped and there was no sign of any one ever being in that room. You immediately felt anxious. You ran to the doctor’s office and asked after Changkyun. “Oh you’ll be glad to know that we have discharged him from here. He was moved this morning to another facility, quite far from here actually. He was doing so much better so--” you felt sick to your stomach. “He’s gone?” You trembled. The doctor nodded slowly. “N-no...” You covered your face with your hand and sat down on the nearest chair. “Will you be okay?” The doctor asked you worriedly. You nodded slowly and accepted the glass of water he handed you.

Once you found the strength to stand up again, the doctor handed you the two books you left behind in Room 126. You thanked him and asked if you could have the rest of the day off. He agreed to let you go and you walked out of the hospital feeling like the whole weight of the world where on your shoulders. You cried on the way home and your brother gave you a hug as soon as he saw you. “You got attached didn’t you?” he rubbed your back soothingly. In your bedroom, you found a note in one of the books while you were flipping through it mindlessly. It read:

“Promise me you’ll come back for me.” 

 

(SEQUEL)