A Love We Never Knew

A Love We Never Knew

"Oppa!!!"

YoungSaeng's heart raced at the familiar voice as he turned around, only to be greeted by a huge bear hug from MinYoung. He smiled with a little blush and wrapped his arms around MinYoung lightly, hugging his little sister whom he haven't saw for the past couple of months. MinYoung dug her head in YoungSaeng's wide chest, rubbed her head against him a few times, before looking up into her oppa's eyes.

 

"Oppa do you miss me?"

"Of.. Of course..!" YoungSaeng stuttered a little at the sudden question with MinYoung continued locking her eyes with his. Of course he missed her. Way too much.

"Aye.. Oppa you hesitated?! I'm so disappointed.."

"A.. Aniya..! Oppa is just surprised you asked such a.. Obvious question.."

"Hmm!"

 

MinYoung let go of the hug, giving a little pout. It looked a little like she's pretending to be angry, but in fact, she was a little uneasy.

"How would I know.. Whether if oppa had a new girlfriend while I'm not around again.."

"Eobso..!" YoungSaeng looked away, and continued in a slightly softer voice "How could I have one.."

 

There was a short awkward silence, before MinYoung spoke again, in her cheerful manner.

"Jja! Oppa you're gonna play with me for the WHOLE of tomorrow and the WHOLE of the day after, right?"

"Tomorrow afternoon I can't.. I have a schedule.. But I'll be with you during night-time after the schedule..! I promise!"

MinYoung pouted again.

"Okay.. But you'll be free on my birthday the day after tomorrow, right?"

"Neh"

"Yay!"

 

"Then it's fine as long as oppa is with me on my birthday~"

------------------------------------

 

Message from

Eternal Oppa<3 :

"I'll try to be back home by 9pm alright. Mianhae.. The schedule got delayed and dragged later than expected.."

 

MinYoung laid down on her tummy on the bed, stared at her new message, and rolled over to lie on her back with her arms apart. She stared at the ceiling, and gave out a small sigh.

"Got delayed again huh.."

Her usual cheerful smile disappeared, and even the comforts she gave herself for the past few hours didn't work anymore. Her heart sank a little.

"Guess I still have to be the one waiting, even when its the eve of my 21st birthday.."

------------------------------------------

 

"Thanks for the hard work!"

"It's already so late..! Want to go grab something to eat together?"

"Sure"

"Ah.. I can't.. I have somewhere to rush off to.."

 

KyuJong looked at YoungSaeng for a second, before remembering something.

"Ah! Isn't it MinYoung's birthday tomorrow?"

"Neh.."

"Oh yeah didn't hyung say you're bringing her out for dinner today? But it's already this late..Ottoke.."

HyungJun and KyuJong looked at YoungSaeng for an answer, before the latter sighed.

"I told her to eat something while waiting for me.. But the interview kept dragging on.. I think she's already upset; she's not even replying me anymore.."

 

"You better go home quick then, hyung.."

"Hmm.."

------------------------------------

 

After finally managed to buy a cake, it took almost another hour to get home from where YoungSaeng left from his late schedule. By the time he reached, it was already 11.50pm.

"MinYoung ah! Oppa's back!" YoungSaeng shouted the moment he unlocked the door. There was no answer though. Quickly taking off his shoes, he rushed into the house, in search of his precious little girl.

"I'm sorry MinYoung ah.. Oppa didn't mean to make you wait so long.. It's just that the interview went on and on, and-"

 

YoungSaeng was passing by the rooms, peeking in to check where could MinYoung be, while at the same time, trying to explain himself aloud. He stopped though, when he spotted MinYoung lying on his bed, already sleeping soundly. He heaved a little sigh, walked over and sat beside her.

"Mianhae.. I made you wait too long.." He spoke softly and gently her head.

At her oppa's touch, MinYoung didn't stir from her sleep and continued with soft breathings. She does seem to look a little more relaxed though, since those pair of hands had always been her in her sleep ever since she was young after she was adopted by YoungSaeng's father. Those familiar hands always made her dreams a lot sweeter.

 

That moment made YoungSaeng realise how long it has been since the last time he actually could return home punctually before MinYoung falls asleep. MinYoung usually visits YoungSaeng in Seoul once every year, staying for about half a month to a month every visit. And this time was an additional visit for her birthday. Yet everytime when she came, he would be so busy that everytime when he gets home, MiinYoung would already be sleeping. It's not that she didn't wait for him; It's just that he would always be too late.

Even this time. Not to mention, it's even MinYoung's birthday.

 

YoungSaeng's heart ached a little as he watched his girl sleep.

"Even today.. I can't be punctual.."

He continued her head and slightly cupped her face within his palm. He got reminded of the many memories of them together, mostly when they were younger and before YoungSaeng moved to Seoul. They always played together, ate together, studied together, even sang together. MinYoung's body was bornt weaker so YoungSaeng was told to and had been taking care of his adopted little sister at all times since young.

No matter what, no matter when, no matter where, YoungSaeng was always looking out for MinYoung. 

No matter what, no matter when, no matter where, MinYoung had always depended on YoungSaeng.

And no matter what, no matter when, no matter where, they had always been together, both physically and mentally.

 

All those times were what made them so close today.

Yet at the same time

All those times were probably what made their relationship grow and develop feelings other than just a brother-sister relationship they had started with.

 

YoungSaeng looked at MinYoung's facial features as his warm hands cupped her little face. From her eyebrows, to her eye lashes, to her nose, to . And then, unknowingly, he leaned forward slowly.

All those memories had reminded him again; what decision he had made for that day.

And he paused. His heart was racing, and he felt his body getting warm. He couldn't take his eyes off MinYoung as she slept almost like a princess. Before he knew it, he was staring at her cherry lips. YoungSaeng breathed in heavily. He clenched his free hand which had now surrounded the sleeping MinYoung, and he leaned further in slowly, closing the gap between his and MinYoung's face. There was an adrenaline rush in him which felt almost like a desire.

"MinYoung.. I.. Love you..."

 

"You have a new message!"

YoungSaeng's face backed up immediately from the sudden noise, but the rest of his body stayed still, in that same position. He let go of his hands which was cupping her face, and froze. MinYoung stirred from her sleep, tried turning around but failed, and eventually getting herself to open her eyes. And no doubt, the first person she saw on YoungSaeng, right in front of her face.

 

Their eyes met. And it drived YoungSaeng's heart crazy. He didn't know how to react, or what to say.

Why was he there, in that position, and even being so close to MinYoung physically?

Because he realised his feelings and want to let MinYoung know about it as soon as she turns 21;

And then he got way too greedy about wanting to make MinYoung his and had wanted to kiss her?

 

He can't really tell her that.

So YoungSaeng swallowed his thoughts, and kept quiet. But just by being so close to MinYoung and falling right into her eyes, YoungSaeng's body was heating up, very fast. He could hear his heartbeat, thrashing against his chest violently. But his eyes wouldn't move a bit; his determination wouldnt flicker. Looking into her eyes so very gently, he just kept quiet. It was almost like he's mesmerized by her sparkling eyes.

 

MinYoung stared at the first person she sees upon waking up. YoungSaeng. She had wanted to welcome him home cheerfully but had realised the situation they were in. Not knowing why YoungSaeng had his hands surrounding her and why her oppa was staring at her while she was asleep, being so close to him naturally made her heart skip a beat. Every second that passed with them staring at each other, the faster MiYoung's heart was beating gradually. Flustered, her cheeks grew hot and MinYoung thought she had to break this awkwardness quick.

"W..Wel..come back.. oppa.." MinYoung started off softly, and shifted her sight away, embarrased.

"Hmm.."

 

YoungSaeng blinked a couple of times, and looked away as well, while his face burned. He don't know why, but the sound of MinYoung's voice calling him oppa made his mind go wild for a second there. He managed to force himself to talk.

"Mianhae.. I came back.. late.."

"K..Kwenchana.."

There was a awkward silence again. YoungSaeng took a peek at MiYoung from the side of his face. And he couldn't shift his eyes back to the sides. It was the first time he saw MiYoung embarrased till this point. She was biting her lower lips, her whole face flushed in a bright shade of pink, and she didn't dare to move at all. She just stayed obediently in the perimeters of where YoungSaeng placed his hands beside her.

 

His heart trembled.

Pabo..! Quick tell her how you feel..!

But YoungSaeng still couldn't form his words. This had to be the toughest confession he has yet to make in his entire love life. While he was still trying to decide how he should start, MinYoung on the other hand had decided that she should get up to stop the embarrassment in the position. She breathed in, and started to push herself up slowly with her elbows.

"Oppa.. Let me get-"

"Andwae!"

 

MinYoung stopped her actions and looked up, locking their eyes for the second time. She was much closer to YoungSaeng's face this time, as she was already half sat up with her elbows touching the bed, supporting her upper body. YoungSaeng's right hand had tried to stop her by holding her arms at the same time he reacted to her words. Both of their heartbeat increased at the contact and closeness. It was that moment YoungSaeng thought was the best timing. He threw away all his worries and fear, and told himself to just go along with the flow.

 

In an instance, YoungSaeng let go of MinYoung's arms and slide his right hand across her back, supporting her. At the same time, he shifted his whole body to be directly on top of MinYoung. He then bend forward and leaned in closer to MinYoung quickly, but making sure to avoid their faces touching. Just like that, he made MinYoung lie back down on her back. Their eye contact didn't break the entire time it happened, and without warning, YoungSaeng cuddled closer to MinYoung with his legs touching hers and his arms closing in nearer to her. His eyes were determined as he looked into MinYoung's nervous ones, yet warm enough to allow MinYoung to feel familiar with.

 

"MinYoung ah.." YoungSaeng started off with a soft voice. "Oppa.. has something to tell you.. So listen carefully.."

"Araso.." MinYoung replied, almost like whispering.

YoungSaeng took in a breath, overcoming his nervous heart, and spoke with a steady voice, soft and gentle but clear enough. MinYoung just stayed there like a good girl, and listened to what her oppa had to say.

"Oppa.. has someone in his heart..

 

"She is someone who's always cheerful.. Always caring.. Very kind.. Most importantly, She is like an angel sent to give happiness and love,, Everytime when I had hard times.. She would be there.. Telling me not to give up.. Not to lose hope.. Yet at the same time.. She is one who always keeps all the sadness of everybody around her to herself..

Because of that.. I want to protect her.. I want to share her hard times with her.. I want to see her smile..

That person.. Is you.."

Something hit MinYoung's heart, and she held onto the blanket beside her. Her eyes didn't leave YoungSaeng while he continued.

 

"Do you remember..? All those times when I broke up with my girlfriends.. MinYoung you.. was always there.. at the end of the day.. You.. was always the one to heal my heart.. Everytime when my heart was hurt, or bled, or scarred, or even shattered.. You will still be able to heal it.. Remember that one time.. When I told you I could never find someone who can fully understand..? And you assured me that I will, one day.

Ever since then I started to question Love.. What is love? How do I know when is it true love? Who is that someone.. I can fully devote my love for..

I searched.. And I found no one..

But you..

 

"MinYoung you.. Are the one.. Who kept coming up in my mind whenever I thought about love..

At first I thought.. It's because we were close since young.. As siblings..

But when I searched deeper in my heart.. I realise.. My feelings for you..

Is more than that..

 

"I don't know since when.. Maybe it is from all those times we were apart from each other..

Oppa had developed other feelings for you unknowingly..

And the more I tried to doubt myself.. The more my heart convinced me about my feelings..

Day by day.. I struggled.. And I gave in..

 

"I found myself.. Wanting to see you so badly..

Missing you.. So badly..

And whenever you finally called.. My heart would flutter and I would wish the time would stop there..

Just you and me..

 

"The times when you were down and something had upset you.. The times when you cried over the phone..

You don't know how much that hurt my heart..

I wanted to be there for you.. Physically..

Hugging you in my arms.. And letting you cry as much as you want..

To tell you.. Oppa is here..

 

"I had been afraid.. About your feelings for me..

That..

I can't be sure..

 

"But oppa's feelings.. I want you to know.."

YoungSaeng carressed MinYoung's face warmly and looked into her eyes even more affectionately, pouring out all his feelings that he had swelled up inside.

"Neomu.. Neomu.. Saranghae..

Heo MinYoung.. Saranghae..

I love you so much.. That I'm going crazy.."

 

YoungSaeng looked slightly down, as he finished off his confession shyly. He swallowed, calmed himself, and at the same time removed his hand from MinYoung's cheeks, just in case she felt uncomfortable. MinYoung continued to keep quiet, since she didn't know how to react. She herself didn't know what she was feeling at that point of time. She had been confused before, and YoungSaeng's confession didn't make things better or clearer. It kind of made her feel worse, and slightly dizzy. It was not like she didn't understand how YoungSaeng felt; she had questioned about her own feelings that way before as well. And it's not just once, but quite a couple of times. But every single time, she could not come to a conclusion so she just left it there, unsolved. A lot of those confusion bottled up altogether, and then combined with YoungSaeng's sudden confession, it became overwhelming.

 

YoungSaeng took a quick glance at MinYoung, who seem to be in a state of both confusion and surprise. Well, that was in his list of predictions. He knew his confession would confuse her quite a bit. So, he had already thought about how to further proceed from there onwards. He got up from MinYoung, found a position at her side, and held her hands lightly.

"I know.. This was sudden.. For scaring you like that.. Mianhae.."

"Ani.. Kwenchana.." MinYoung shook her head, but looked away from YoungSaeng.

Her heart wasn't beating as bad as earlier, but instead her head hurts now. YoungSaeng realises it, and rubbed the top of her hands.

 

"It's okay.. If you can't find an answer yet.. Oppa will wait, till the day you find your feelings for me."

"Oppa.. I.." She started off and made herself sit up. But when she looked into YoungSaeng's eyes, she couldn't continue.

MinYoung was still troubled; She doesn't like it, she doesn't like making others wait for her. Especially for something even she herself doesn't know when will she ever come out with a conclusion about. Yet at the same time, she neither wants to give YoungSaeng any false hope before she is sure of her feelings, nor make him feel upset thinking that she couldn't return the same feelings back to him. Her mind was everywhere, and she couldn't think, not to mention making a decision then was impossible.

On top of that, she saw that shine in YoungSaeng's eyes, that anticipation in him to hear an answer. She forced herself inside, and nothing came to light. It only made her feel bad and she started to get upset.

 

"Wae, wae"

YoungSaeng was caught off guard when tears started to gather in MinYoung's eyes. He moved forward and managed to wipe the tears away with his thumb just in time as they coursed down MinYoung's face.

"Pabo.. Wae uleo.." (Note: Why are you crying)

"Oppa mianhae.. I don't know.. I really don't know.." MinYoung tried to control her tears "It's not like.. I don't have feelings for oppa.. But.. I.. I really don't know.. What is it that I'm really feeling.. for oppa.. I.."

 

More tears fell. MinYoung attempted to motion her hands to wipe off her tears, but was interrupted by YoungSaeng's hug.

"What did I say.. Kwenchana, isn't it..? Oppa will wait.."

"But.. I.. I don't want oppa.. to waste all the time waiting.. if I can't return your feelings.. at the end of the day.."

"Ani.. Nothing is wasted.. If it's for you.."

YoungSaeng her hair on top of her head lightly, applying some pressure to make her head lie on his shoulder. When MinYoung was finally relaxed in his arms, YoungSaeng tightened his hug and embraced her in his arms warmly. It made MinYoung calm down and her tears stopped flowing.

 

"It's been a while.. Since oppa hugged you.. Isn't it..?"

"Hmm.."

YoungSaeng smiled.

"If you're so worried that I'll waste my time waiting.. Then you have to make sure.. You're able to return the same feelings as oppa.. Araso..?"

MinYoung's heart skipped a beat; she doesn't really know why.

"Hmm.."

 

"That's my girl.."

That's definitely.. My innocent girl.. YoungSaeng continued smiling. He already knew the answer to his confession. It may just be from MinYoung's reactions, but from the many years YoungSaeng had been with MinYoung, he knew her well enough to sense her real feelings. Even if MinYoung herself doesn't realise it. But he thought it's only best when MinYoung figures it out herself. And when that time comes, he wants to hear it from her personally.

"Jja.. Why not we do this.. Oppa will treat you like my girlfriend, until the day you find your feelings. That way, you can understand oppa's feelings better, hmm?"

MinYoung hesitated. Before she could even start thinking, YoungSaeng nudged her.

"Hmm? That's alright, isn't it, MinYoung ah~"

 

YoungSaeng's sweet voice melted MinYoung, and she could only just nod almost immediately. YoungSaeng smiled even wider; he knew it would work when he talk to MinYoung like that. He may not be totally right about her feelings, but it was enough to make him confident enough to make sure his feelings go through. And even if somehow her feelings were different, YoungSaeng will do whatever he can to make her fall in love with him, like how he has fallen for her.

"Ah!"

YoungSaeng suddenly broke off the hug when he remembered something. MinYoung just looked at him blankly, before YoungSaeng gave out a small laugh.

"Saengil Chukahae! I'm the first person, right?"

"Aniya~ I probably got a few messages already~"

 

"Doesn't count! Since you haven't seen them~"

MinYoung giggled at her oppa's childishness.

"Araso, whichever the case, Komawo oppa.. For everything.."

YoungSaeng smiled sweetly, showing his dimples.

"Come, I got you a cake~"

 

He took her by the hand and pulled her out of the room. Sneakily enough, YoungSaeng was already carrying out his plan to make MinYoung discover her feelings, as he slide his fingers between MinYoung's and interlocked their hands for the first time. YoungSaeng's bigger hands warmly held onto her smaller ones, and it made MinYoung feel something different. Since young, her oppa's hands would make her feel secure everytime he held onto her. But this time, it came along with a tingly sensation in her heart, and she felt strangely at ease. Not only did she feel secured, it made her feel like there will be nothing she have to be afraid anymore in the future.  There will be someone whom she could depend on for her troubles, and someone who can take away all her worries at the same time. Someone who will hold her tight and never let go. It was this warmth. 

 

Then MinYoung got reminded of when she was younger. When she was only 5. When she had lost her parents and got adopted by a new family. She had cried the first time in the new environment, and someone had also held onto her hands, so very warmly. It was the first time such warm hands were able to calm her down and make her feel alright. It was the first time someone could take away all her fears, and make her feel that she is not alone.

She looked up.

It had always been this pair of hands. Those hands that reached out for her everytime she was lost. Those hands that catches her before she fall. Those hands that had embraced her all these time. Since 16years ago, he appeared in her life and had never left her since then; he had always been there when she needed someone. 

 

It had always been YoungSaeng.