familial love

inferno
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Taeyeon has always had a good grasp on people. She's always been keen at recognizing what other people have wanted and what they think of her, no matter how much they try and mask their emotions. Her father says it makes her a good member of the Kim family, and an even better businesswoman.


But Kwon Jiyong is strange in that she cannot quite get a grip on what he wants.


He is very nice and polite - the impeccable image of a son that families like theirs would like. But something about him is strangely unsettling, as if there is a layer left to be revealed from that kind facade.


She's not ignorant to the rumors. She knows that the man sitting across from her is very much in love with Sooyeon, who was once someone she considered to be a very good friend before they grew apart.


But like others speculate - she does not care. His emotions are his. He can go out and pine after Jung Sooyeon as much as he wants, as long as he does not pose a threat to her success.


What she does find suspicious is his apparent lack of ambition in both his own company and her family's. 


She's met the owner of Sungho electronics, who will soon be her father-in-law, before and he is a cold-blooded, harshly ambitious man that has caused several rifts in the media for the treatment of his workers and ruthless way of handling business. 


But Jiyong is nothing like that man. 


"Is the food to your liking?" He asks, a friendly smile on his lips, as she snaps out of her own thoughts.


"Yes," She answers. "It's very nice here." 


In reality, the restaurant they are in is just one of the several fancy Italian restaurants located in Cheongdomdang, and nothing special, but she's not Yoona and she knows how to mind her own manners.


She ponders over whether to mention Sooyeon or not, but Jiyong does so first.


"You probably know this already because...it's already been quite spread around," Jiyong says after a pause. "But I'm already in love with someone." 


She takes a sip of her drink, calmly meeting his gaze. "I'm aware." 


"Do you still want to go through with this marriage?"


She thinks about her father, a man that she used to respect greatly, before he had an affair and ruthlessly kicked her own mother out of the house, refusing to let them know of her whereabouts. 


It has been thirteen years since she has seen, let alone spoken to, her mother. Those thirteen years are filled with her father bringing in a new woman for her to call 'mother', two new siblings, and other women that he has had his share of fun with at different business 'meetings.' 


It is funny then, to imagine, that she would technically be in a similar situation as her mother, but in a completely different manner. Kwon Jiyong has eyes for one woman. Her father had eyes for many.


Her mother was kicked out.


She has too much to her name for him to do that.


"I do," She finally answers, dabbing at with a napkin lightly. "This marriage is a business contract. Who you meet or love is not something I will interfere with."


"You must've broken a lot of hearts in the past." 


She blinks, puzzled. "Excuse me?" 


He looks up and wears a crooked smile that looks so innocent, that it reminds her of when her brother was younger and he used to play pranks on her.


"I hope you find someone you can love too," Jiyong says, and she blinks. "Even if we don't love each other, I think this marriage, rather than being called a business arrangement, can end with us being friends."


"Friends?" She repeats, the word sounding foreign on her tongue.


He pauses.


"Yes, friends. Business partners, first and foremost, of course, but friends as well." 


"You think that's possible?" It comes out harsher than she intends, but Jiyong doesn't seem to mind.


"I don't plan on being unfaithful during our marriage, Taeyeon-ssi," He replies, and he sounds genuine, although she knows it has to be a lie. "I am still in love with someone else, but that doesn't give me the right to disrespect you like that."


She almost feels offended at his apparent concern for her. "You don't have to think - "


"I know what you must think of the men in our circle," He interrupts. "My father, your father - they're all the same anyway. But I don't want to resemble them."

 
"You think you're different?"


"I think I could be if I put my mind to it." 


She exhales deeply. She had expected for this to be a simple, polite dinner, going over introductions and discussions on when they would have their marriage ceremony. 


This is not according to plan.


"Ah, I'm sorry. Did that make you uncomfortable? Jiyong suddenly says sheepishly, rubbing the back of his head in embarrassment. 


She studies him carefully. Kwon Jiyong appears to be innocent, too innocent for someone that has grown up in the same world as her. He's all soft edges and hopeful aspirations, and while some women might feel relieved, she feels uneasy instead.


There is something else there... She thinks to herself, before going back to answering his question.


"Not at all." 


She smiles when she says it too, and as Kwon Jiyong smiles back, she knows she has to find out more about him.


And she only knows one person to ask.
-------------------------------------------------
"This is surprising to say the least."


Taeyeon bites back a snarky remark, only looking up as Sooyeon approaches her from across the cafe. It's located near Jung Corporations, mostly for the other girl's benefit, and as she gets closer, Taeyeon can see that there's a grin on her face.


"Is your family obsessed with mine or something?" Sooyeon snorts, as she takes a seat across from her.


She raises her brow. "What? Jongin came to see you?" 


It's a pretty anticlimatic reunion between the two of them. For two people that were glued at the hip in the past, it's easier to just talk while ignoring the events of their past and the reasons for why they grew apart.


"Jongin is seducing my Soojungie," Sooyeon remarks dryly. "And your other little sister came to see me yesterday at an art museum." 


The first one doesn't come as much of a surprise to her, but the second part has her narrowing her eyes.


"Yoona?"


Sooyeon rolls her eyes. "You have another sister besides her?" 


Taeyeon scowls. "Did she explain why she came to see you?"


"She didn't give me any details. Just wrote me her number and left," Sooyeon says smoothly. "But I can pretty much figure out why." 


Taeyeon pauses, waiting for a response.


The other girl leans forward, eyes widening in disbelief. "No way. You seriously don't know why?" 


Taeyeon crosses her arms across her chest. "You can tell me or not."


"Your brother is looking for your mother."


For once, Taeyeon's facade is broken and her eyes widen.


Sooyeon raises her brow. "Hm, so you really didn't know...I guess you're losing your touch if even Jongin can keep secrets from you now..."


Taeyeon takes a deep breath, making it a point to ask Jongin about it later when she sees him at home. She has no qualms about him trying to find their mother, but the fact that he's deliberately hiding that fact from her is concerning.


"So? You obviously didn't ask to see me because of that," Sooyeon switches topics, seeing that she's lost in thought. "What made you suddenly want to see your ex-best friend?" 


"I'm engaged to Kwon Jiyong." At her words, Sooyeon's smile falters just the tiniest bit, before she quickly plasters it back on.


"I'm aware. Everyone is, I'm pretty sure." 


Taeyeon keeps an eye on the other girl, while taking a sip of her coffee.


"There's something off about him." 


Sooyeon's gaze snaps to hers so quickly that she almost flinches. "He's a good man, Taeyeon."


Interesting, Taeyeon thinks to herself carefully. If one mention of Kwon Jiyong's name could crack Sooyeon's facade so quickly, then wasn't it clear that she also had feelings for the other boy, just like he did for her?


It's none of her business and she will not say anything, but it simply seems odd. Kwon Jiyong is a man of high upbringing and status, that no parent, even in their circle, would decline as a son-in-law.


"You've known him for many years so you must be much more aware than I am," Taeyeon says. "Don't play dumb. Others might not be able to see it, but I know you can."


Sooyeon bites her lip. 


"Listen, he's your best bet for an honest person in our circle of people," she finally sighs. "Don't look at h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter