caged birds

inferno
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yoona hates family dinners.


To be fair, they only occur once - or twice if she is unlucky - a year. Her stepfather is a wealthy, busy man, and powerful enough to be called one of the biggest conglomerate CEOs in South Korea by magazines and newspapers. He hardly spends any time at home, and Yoona can't remember the last time she's actually spoken properly to him.


Not that she minds that.


"Watch your expression," Her mother murmurs quietly to her, grasping her hand tightly under the table. Yoona rolls her eyes and begins to pick at the meat on her plate absentmindedly. Her table manners are unacceptable, especially with her stepfather being present, and he seems to take clear notice of her blatant disrespect, clearing his throat loudly.


Oh, how she wants a cigarette. And maybe, a drink too.


"Yoona's feeling sick," Her mother quickly lies, wearing a panicked smile. "You know she's not usually like this."


From across the table, Taeyeon, her older "sister", wears a smile that doesn't quite reach her eyes. "She seemed to be doing just fine yesterday. Secretary Lee said she attended a party late last night for one of her friends." 


Her mother's smile falters, and Yoona grips her fork a little tighter. She fixates her eyes permanently on her plate.


"A party? At one of those clubs again?" Her father inquires, disapproval evident in his voice. "I thought you said you'd stop that habit of yours after university, Yoona."


She looks up, noticing with irritation that Jongin, her other "brother", wears an obnoxiously cheeky smirk. The bastard is clearly amused with the situation, just as much as his damn sister is. 


"We didn't go to a club. The party was at my friend's house," She says in a saccharine tone. "I think Taeyeon-unni must have misunderstood the situation."


Taeyeon nods slowly, staring directly at her. "Ah, I'll have to apologize to you then, won't I?" 


She stares right back. "There's no need. There's no use for apologies between family, is there?" 


Her stepfather lets out a pleased chuckle. "That's right. I like the sound of that."


"That reminds me," Her mother cuts in, eager to stray the conversation away from her behavior problems. "Didn't Jongin meet the second daughter from Aekyung yesterday? How did that go?" 


Her stepfather hums in realization. "That's right. I nearly forgot about that. I take it you did well, Jongin?" 


"I'm sorry, father," Jongin responds in a tone that clearly doesn't indicate any kind of repentance or remorse. "I may have forgotten."


Forgotten, my , Yoona silently thinks to herself. 


"Kim Jongin! Why can't you take after Sehun more?"


Sehun is her younger brother. Her actual brother, not one that she had gotten out of her mother's marriage that cost her freedom and entire well-being. He wasn't currently present at the dinner, as he still had studies to wrap up in New York, but Yoona desperately wishes he was. In her stepfather's eyes, Sehun was much more likable. 


Taeyeon's expression hardens at the mention of Sehun's name. "Father, don't compare Jongin to that kid."


Yoona stiffens, before letting out a breathy laugh. "It's clear who the favorite sibling is for you, unni. Blood really is thicker than water."


"Yoona," Her mother hisses quietly. "Please. Your older sister is speaking."


"She's not my older sister," The words tumble out of before she can even register what she's saying. "Just like he's not my brother."


Silence falls in the room. She was doing so well, so civil and polite, but now it's all ruined. Her stepfather's mood is clearly dampened by her words and he looks just about ready to blow a fuse, taking a large gulp from his glass of whiskey. Her mother shifts in her seat, biting down on her lip in worry. 


Taeyeon lets out a deep breath. "Perhaps you were right about Yoona being sick, mother. I think she needs some rest."


Yoona tightens her hands into fists under the table. She hates how calm Taeyeon is about everything. She was the one who started the entire situation, but somehow, it plays into her favor in the end. How typical of the older girl.


"I think you're right," Her stepfather finally says, after a long silence. "Get some rest, Yoona. You're clearly under stress. But don't let this happen again."


"Let what happen again? Me telling the truth?" She's on a roll now. If she's already losing, she plans to go all the way with it. 


"Yoona!" Her mother gasps from beside her. "Watch your mouth! Apologize to your father right this - "


Her stepfather holds a hand up, and her mother falls silent. "Enough. Let's keep this dinner peaceful. Jongin, your sister back up her room."


"I don't need - "


"Let's go, sister," Jongin says smoothly, getting up from his seat. "There's no need to cause more of a scene, is there?" 


Yoona scoffs, almost laughing, but nonetheless, gets out of her seat to follow him. If she stays any longer, she's sure that her mother would get a heart attack and collapse right there and then. 


Just endure this until Sehun comes back...


She trails behind Jongin as he climbs up the long, spiral staircase that leads to the second floor that is filled with bedrooms. Thankfully, her bedroom is one of the first ones encountered on the floor. However, it is unfamiliar, to be seeing her bedroom again, especially since she hardly spends any time in it after graduating high school.


"What's wrong with you?" Yoona spins around at Jongin's voice, thinking that he left already. Instead, he leans against the door frame, an amused smile on his lips.


She plasters a smile on her lips, crossing her arms across her chest. "I thought you'd know by now."


He steps closer to her. "Grow up. You're not the only one that's suffering in this damn house, princess."

 
Yoona lets out a mocking laugh. "Oh really? You think whatever you and your sister have been through can be compared to what Sehun and I have endured? Or do you still play victim because your mother was kicked out of this house?"


Jongin's smile falls and a dark look crosses his eyes. "Don't talk about my mother." 


She's running on pure adrenaline now. She desperately wants to hurt him, make him lose that facade he always keeps up flawlessly. 


She scoffs. She doesn't care how ugly, how horrible she is being. "I can't talk about your mother, but you and your sister can terrorize and belittle mine?"


Jongin gives her a bitter smile. "Don't compare your mother to mine. The first wife is never the same as the second."


The words strike her, but she simply smiles slowly. She refuses to lose this. "You think that your words can still hurt me, but I'm not in high school anymore, Jongin. The words that you and your sister say only motivate me. It makes me want to destroy you two."


"We can destroy each other over and over again," Jongin says in a low voice, taking another step towards her. They are very close now, almost touching. "But we're still family, dear sister." 


"I will kick your sister and you out of this house, and the two of you will pay," She shoots back. Her blood pulses with fire and her heart pounds in her chest loudly, but it doesn't matter. She will be the one to break him. To wipe all that confidence off of his face. 


He chuckles bitterly. "Really? I don't think so. You've never genuinely fought for anything, Yoona. If you wanted something, you got it immediately. Men, clothes, anything. You don't have the right to play victim in this when you used

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter