Chapter Three

I'm Here

Present day

I woke up to the sound of my phone ringing

“Hello” I answered without even looking at the caller ID

“Good Morning, are you awake?” It was Jihyun, she sounded a little too cheery for a 10 am phone call

“uuuhhh” I reply back

“Want to meet up for lunch? I’ve no plans today ~~”

I turn over and look out my bedroom window, sun was shining thru the sheer curtains

“Sure I’m free today, 11:30?”

“Deal”

I got up and rubbed the sleep from my eyes, thinking about the night before at Sanghyun Oppas party. I’ve finally seen him again after 10 years I thought, but why didn’t he remember me? Our introduction was like of two strangers meeting for the first time. I didn’t want to embarrass myself and so I just acted the same.

*****

I met Jihyun at our usual spot, a quiet restaurant that we frequent when it was just us two

“What’s wrong with you? You look like you haven’t slept” she comments

“It’s just that I have a lot on my mind, that’s all”

She started eating her sandwich

“Aren’t you going to ask me what’s wrong?”

“Nope, I know when you are ready to talk you will, I can wait” she knew me all too well

“I scored a few tickets to that play we wanted to see, it's the day after next, were you and Miseong interested in going with me and Jushin? You know how he hates going to these things so maybe having another guy with can ease the burden.” She laughs

“Let me text him and ask”

I wanted to tell Jihyun about Jonghyun, but I stopped myself. I might sound like a fool what would I say ‘ahh Jihyun remember that guy I told you about, the one that I was totally in love with 10 years ago, when I was 16 years old. Well I finally met him again, after wondering what happened to him and why he stopped writing.’ Nah I better not.

Oppa: sorry I can’t that night, I have a dinner a meeting

“Oh he says he can’t, has prior commitments”

“That’s okay I’ll let Jungshin know then, I’m sure he can find someone to give the tickets to, but you are still free to go right?”

“Yes of course” I answer “been wanting to see that forever”

We finished our lunch after chatting about this and that, said our goodbyes and I headed back home. I passed a florist and bought a bouquet for home, I love flowers, the sight and smell of them. Having a fresh bouquet makes me happy and calm. When I arrived home I placed them in a vase with water and placed them on the coffee table in the living room.

I went to my room and changed into something more comfortably. As I was grabbing my favourite yellow sweater my eyes rested on a pink box that I kept. I took it and opened it on my bed. This is where I had kept old photos and pictures of my happy times in Busan growing up until we moved to Seowon where my parents had moved our family restaurant. I look at the old photos of my best friends and I at the front gates of the school; friends whom I still keep in touch with. Once in awhile they come up and see me, not as often as we they would like as everyone is busy with their own lives.

I look thru the box some more and take out a pile of envelopes that I kep tied with an elastic band. These were all returned mail that I tried sending to Jonghyun when we moved. At first we kept in touch writing at least once a week, then one day I didn’t receive a reply back. I sent another after another and they kept coming back as return to sender. Weeks, months and years went by and after a while I just stopped sending them. I opened a tiny envelope where I kept the necklace he gave me on his birthday, tears fell from my eyes as I remember that night. I went to my mirror and put the necklace on.

I laid on my bed wondering how he could have not remembered me, if I remember why doesn’t he? Maybe he just wants to forget to about the past. Sanghyun Oppa did mention last night that he owned a very successful business. Maybe he only associates himself with wealthy people, but nah he didn’t seem that way. He was very friendly to Oppa and seemed like his old down to earth personality which I remember.

Forget it Seungyeon, I say to myself, you have Minseong Oppa now. You shouldn’t think of Jonghyun anymore, it’s been 10 years, let it go. Maybe what he felt wasn’t love, it was puppy love. What does a 16 and 17 year old know about love.

I put the box back where it belonged and went back to the living room to catch up on my favorite drama, Doctors. Love this drama, Park Shihye’s acting has improved a lot.

****************

Me: OMW, where do we meet?

Jihyun: just in front of the theatre, btw Jungshin gave the other ticket to his friend, didnt want them to go to waste. Hope you don't mind ☺

Me: no worries ❤

I got off the bus and had walked half a block to the musical theatre I was too meet Jihyun and Jungshin. I turn the corner and see Jihyun wave and I wave back and hurried my steps.

“Sorry I'm a bit late, hope we didn't miss anything”

“Right on time” Jingshin answers. He's Jihyun’s boyfriend. I love these two together, relationship goals I always say. Even though Jihyun looks tough, Junshin makes her all soft and lovey.

“Ah right, Seungyeon you remember Jonghyun right from the other night” I look at the guy standing next to Jungshin

“Ah, Seungyeonssi..” he says