Final

Miracle

A Miracle is not when you get something that you will never have. A Miracle is when you want something and you get it when you need it the most. -unknown

 

 

 

6 months later . . .

She tightened her grip on her wheelchair when she saw him smiling from ear to ear from afar. He looked genuinely happy and she could feel his positive aura shone from her place. It’s going to blind her if she looked directly. What a ridiculous thought in her mind. She quickly waved that thought away as her lips quirked up. He looked pretty fine than the last time when she visited him at the ward. He was lying on the bed since the accident occurred. The nurse that treated him also told her that she could not keep up with his big ego. He was stressed and tense. She knows that was not the real him. Because she knew him so well. He is Kim Myungsoo, the guy that once giving light in her dark life. Her eyes didn’t tore away from him. She secretly was watching this scene being played in front of her eyes. They were in a park just beside the hospital. But she was not with him and they didn’t plan to meet either. It was fate doing it.

Standing next to him, is his girlfriend, Oh Hana. That what the nurse said to her, the same nurse that complaint about Myungsoo’s nonsense behavior. She looked pretty. Fair skin, charming smile, a doe eyes and having a silky waving black hair. Such an ideal couple. They really suits together. She fits for him, not her. The one that sitting helpless on the wheelchair, Park Sora. Her heart twisted a bit and she nibbled her lips to contain her feelings. It wasn’t a sad one. The feelings were the opposite. Sora felt grateful and happy beyond her imagination when she saw him. A wild thought occurred in her head, “This is a great opportunity for me to repay back your kindness”.

Flashback

            There always a girl in school that going to be picked as a victim. In other words, bullied. A sob escaped from her lips when the three girls enjoying messing around her. What did they do? The usual stuff what the bully do. Sometimes, they hit her. Sometimes, they ordered her to do their homework. Sometimes, they do what their inner beast told them. It was really ironic and Park Sora was the chosen one. Sora’s heart were beaten fast when the three girls approaching her. She knows well of them and could smell their rotten hearts. She also knows what will be happen next.

End of flashback

Slowly, Sora let out a deep breath. Reminiscing about her old life could kill her instantly and she did not want that to happen especially on this precious times. Her vision started to blur when tears were rolling down on her cheek. It was a happy tear to her. She glanced back to Myungsoo surrounding and caught his parents around the corner, watching their son with a mixture of love and worried written over their face. Myungsoo was prepared to share his moment with his family and his girlfriend, Oh Hana. He was going to walk for the first time after the accident happened. Hana held his hands tightly to guide him. She treats him like he was a fragile human being that will be shattered once if he falls to the ground. She loves him, deeply. Myungsoo request to let go of her hands. Hana was shaking her head and didn’t do what he just told her. “Trust me”, Myungsoo spoke gently with a determined face. “Fine”, reluctantly, she did what Myungsoo asked to. One, two, three steps so far and they didn’t blink their eyes at all, including Sora. Sora almost squeaked when Myungsoo staggered his walk towards his girlfriend. Then, he started marching around Hana who was clutching her stomach and she was enjoying Myungsoo’s little show. His parents were relaxed a bit and they were smiling towards them. “Cocky much”, Sora said. Of course he could walk again because he was under the therapist all this while. “Same old Myungsoo”, she mumbled again.

Flashback

            “Yahh!” The girls automatic halted their actions when someone was shouting, interrupted their moment. A whimpering sounds echo in the hall and the poor girl doesn’t have energy left. She was on the ground, biting her lips and suppressed the pain in her stomach. “Minah, you said there was no one left!” the leader spoke. “She missed one spot apparently”, the girl next to Minah, Min Young said. Gyuri the leader, exhale a few exaggerated sigh, “You know what to do, girls”. They did the same style a coward look like. They run away like a scalded cat, leaving her alone on the floor. The burning sensations in her stomach were trying to eat her inner part. The pain was ten times more than she felt when she was having period cramp. She can’t move at all. She only let out a few sobs and curled on the cold floor until she saw a pair of legs in front of her. “Coward!” a guy said between his gritted teeth. “Are you alright?” he crouched a bit to see her condition. It was bad. “Help me!” that was the last thing she said to the guy when her vision was turned to pitch black.

End of flashback

“I’m so proud of you, dear”, a squeezed on her right shoulder taking her mind back to the reality. It is her aunt, the one and only person she had in her life. She quickly wipes out her tears and flashed a smile to her aunt who stood beside her. Mary, who still wearing her white uniform although her work had ended an hour ago. “I think I need to go inside now”. “It’s getting cold too. Let’s go”, Marry said, pushing the wheelchair cautiously. Park Sora doesn’t have energy left to do it. Her strength and even her health were falling off her normal chart. She indeed looked pale and there was a dark circles under her eyes. “Mary, can you promise me something?” Sora asked suddenly. Mary who used to be called by her name only with Sora just hummed in agreed. Aunt Mary slowed her pace and took a nearby space to sit and faced her beloved niece. “I promise. But wait, what is it all about?” Sora held her gaze into her eyes and took a deep breath. The chilly wind in the atmosphere started to froze her bone and Myungsoo were away from Sora’s sight. “I want you to accept Doctor Lee”.  Sora can’t bear to leave her aunt alone, especially with her health condition. She knew that her time will be out soon enough just like her late mother. Mary looked bewildered by her request. “This hospital is not big at all and I can hear clearly when some of the staff was gossiping”, Sora said, solving her aunt puzzled look. Mary gulped, taken aback by her words. “I’ll pretend that I didn’t hear anything from you”, with that, she stands straight, brushed her white uniform a bit and pushed back Sora in to the hospital.

Flashback

            “She so lucky to be found. If late by a few minutes, she might can’t survive”, a doctor said to a young lady who was still wearing her white uniform, tears threatened to fall on her cheeks. She feels totally guilty and blamed herself for not being aware about Sora’s well being. “I’m terrible person”, she whispered under her shaking breath. “No, you’re not that kind of person. I know you well, Mary”, the doctor or can be called as Doctor Lee were trying to helped clear her mind and eased her heart. Warm liquid were rolling on her cheeks and Doctor Lee can’t stand to watch it. He took her in his arm, hugging her while she was crying hard. Meanwhile, Sora was lying unconsciously on the bed after she received her emergency treatment. Her left arm was broken and it will take months to heal and her inner part was swollen a bit. Indeed, she was lucky that the girls didn’t hurt her vital organ and she had promised to herself to thank her savior. Kim Myungsoo, she said it over and over again. That cold blooded boy. Sora knows him. Of course, thanks to his fan girls in the school. She feel regret because calling him by that title. He helped her and saved her life. When she was wide awake, her aunt was totally genuinely happy about her condition and there was something to be cheer on. A news. A good one. The three girls who were caught in action had been transferred to juvenile school. A wave of relief hit her. And there was a bad news as well. Kim Myungsoo had move out of town. Suddenly the wave turned into a tsunami and destroyed her wish land. She wished she could say that simple word to him. She wished she was fully recovered and she could meet him instantly. Too many wishes in her mind and it all drained by that news.

End of flashback

On that particular night, something unexpected occurred in Sora’s room. The beeping machine beside her was slowly drew a weird pattern. Sora was dying in the moment. Doctor Lee who was assigned to watch over her, quickly rushed to her room after Mary called him. Mary couldn’t utter a word at all. She and Sora was just having a dinner and Sora did not show any bizarre action. Sora smile, chew, munch and sleeps as usual after the dinner. “Please do something!” at last Mary found her courage to speak out. She was trembling seeing Sora’s state. “Mary, I need you to be calm and stay by her side. She still half conscious and could hear you. I need you to be strong”, Doctor Lee muttered, with a soothing voice. He held her hands and watching her eyes. She was going to shed a tear. Mary almost flinched with Doctor Lee’s touch. She did felt something churned in her stomach but she pushed that thought away. Their story meant to be passed. She was the one who decided to back away in their relationships because of Sora. She needs to redeem everything to Sora. She too careless in the past and she won’t let it slipped again. She moved Sora to the general hospital in Seoul when Sora’s health was getting worst. She also changed her workplace into the same hospital as Sora. Mary is a nurse and the same nurse that treated Kim Myungsoo. Despite her effort to be kept away from the longing memories with him, destiny brought them to be meeting again. “Mary . . .?” a masculine voice called out for her name. Mary turned her head around and her eyes landed on a figure standing at the door.

“Myungsoo?” she said with her brows furrowed. “Is that Sora? Park Sora?” Myungsoo asked and strolled in the room, joining them. Mary felt a lump in and she walked to Sora’s side, breaking her contact with Doctor Lee who was still around the corner. “It’s really her”. Myungsoo couldn’t believe what he just witnessed. She was the girl that once he saved her from being murdered by those bullies. The last time he saw her when she was getting emergency treatment and again today the scenarios almost the same, they meet in the hospital but she looked different. “What’s wrong with her?” Mary did not answer Myungsoo’s question instantly, she leaned into Sora’s ear and whispered, “Sora, there’s someone you need to see now, please open your eyes even for a moment”. Mary nibbled her lips, suppressed the sadness that going to be burst from her chest. She needs to be strong in the moment. For Sora. She could saw a shaky breath from Sora. Her brows creased as she was fighting over the gravity of her eyelids. She was struggling a bit. Sora is not the type of person to give up easily. The proof is in front of Mary’s eyes because Dr. Lee used to said, “I’ve never witness someone like her can live until this day. It’s a miracle”. Speaking of Dr. Lee, swiftly he appeared next to Mary and squeezed her hands for a support. His warm hands intertwined with hers, surprised Mary. They looked perfectly together. She nodded her head to Dr. Lee and turned her view to her loving niece. The beeping machine again drew the same pattern over and over although Dr. Lee had done everything he could to save her but the thing is Dr. Lee can’t fight the fate. Maybe it is fate that Sora has to eventually leave to end her long misery and pain in this world. Myungsoo stood patiently beside her because he got some feeling about Sora’s being. She looked like she could not hold any longer. The string of her life will be detached in any moment and it was about time to let go.

“Ma..ry..?” a soft voice called, catching the attention of the three figures in the room. “What’s he doing in here?” Sora mumbled clearly with her eyes half closed. Myungsoo might feel offended by that question but still he keep his feet rooted to the ground. “You remembered me?” he said. Sora just nodded her head. She didn’t want their meeting to become like this. She doesn’t want Myungsoo to see her another weak side. “Oh fate! So cruel and mean”, inside her thought. Mary could sense Sora’s weird attitude, so she leaned again and said, “Sora, this is not the time for you to be selfish, just say it. I know you’ve waited for this moment in such a long time. And I will accept Doctor Lee”. Those last words, she whispered slowly, away from anyone in the room could hear except Sora. “I promise”, Aunt Mary assured her while doing pinky promise with her hands which started to lose heat.

Suddenly, with so much effort and courage, Park Sora’s lips curled upwards. Her heart filled with joy and loves even though with her weak heart that pounding so low to pump her blood throughout her aching body. On the edge of her eyes, tears started to formed. As on a cue, Mary spoke to Myungsoo. “Myungsoo, there’s something Sora wanted to say to you. She really would like to express it especially after that event which she almost, yeah I figured you know about it as well. So, I need you to hear it from her.” “Okay, I’m listening”, he replied, with his eyes fixed on Sora. Doctor Lee wrapped his hands around Mary’s shoulder when Mary turned away to wipe her tears. The moment that Sora waited, has come. At last her wish will be granted. “I can’t take it anymore”, Mary mumbled softly. “Sshhh, do it for Sora.” Doctor Lee cooed her and rubbed his finger with a gentle way to comfort her. She had through the worst times in her life and he needs her to overcome it again. She is strong like Park Sora. “Kim Myung..-beep-beep..soo”, the beeping machine sounded so alarmed with her heart beating. “Thank…-beep-beep…you”. A straight line showed up right on the screen after her last words ended. Sora was smiling until her last breath. Finally, she can rest in peace. Her wish has become true. It was surreal for her but then fate played fair on her. It’s a miracle

 

 

Her wish has become true and she did repay back Myungsoo's kindness towards her. She was the one contribute in Myungsoo healing process without he knows it.