Chapter 1: Introducing

THE JJANG

2006:

A new transfer student come to the school for the first time, she’s transferred from LA. The other students who stay in the same class as her feel uncomfortable because of her coming, she isn’t a friendly girl. The jjang who know that meet her in her class when break time while the other having lunch in canteen, she is sleeping on her desk,

“Hello, miss..” one of the Jjang member greet her, the leader. She get up and saw them around her,

“What is this?, are there something you want to ask to me or…” that group consist of three male and one female.

“We want to let you know about the rule in this school,” the girl said.

“Okay, I’ll listen to it, let’s start..” transfer student said. The one who look like a nerd, explain about rules in this school, from ‘there isn’t bullying, friendly with each other, and etc, “okay..now, can I continue my sleep, because I just come from LA..and I’m really tired,” before the Jjang answer her, she just continue her sleep,

“If you continue like that, it’ll be difficult to having new friend here..” it’s like he’s the one who is always fussy about something.

“Wah..I have big trouble then..,” she get up and facing them, one of them suddenly recognized her, said that he ever saw her somewhere, “you ever saw me?, maybe in television. Long time ago, I’m a child actress who played in several drama…and a CF star..,” she said, it’s look like she is bragging about herself, but it’s true, three years ago before going to LA, she is a child actress, she is quite famous back then.

“Ah…that’s true,” the one who look like the leader said, “you were in an Ice cream CF, right?.”

“I guess my face not really change, yes I’m..so, because I’m really tired now, can you leave me, I want to take some sleep, okay?,” she said then back to her positition. The Jjang leave her like that,

“She is really an actress?,” the nerd asked.

“She was an actress, now I never see her on TV as child actress or CF star..her name was Joy,” the one who always fussy about something said.

“You don’t have TV in your home back then?, she always appeared on TV..,” the leader said.

“I didn’t have TV back then, you know it, my family just buy it last year, ” he said with puppy face.

“Ah..sorry..”

It’s her third day in her new school, and she found the new place to sleep in break time. That day, when she sleep on the bench in rooftop, some noices disturb her sleep,

“What is this again?, seriously…,” she said then get up, she found out some male students beating up a male student, look like he loose his glass, “aigoo..that group called Jjang said to me that there isn’t bullying in this school, what is this now..?,” she said then step up, “what are you doing here?,” she said, all of the male students looking at her, they didn’t give her answer, “don’t you have ears or mouth?, I asked to all of you..,” then one of male student walking towards her,

“Can you tell by seeing?,” he said arrogantly.

“Are you this gang leader?, I’m not really afraid with you, I saw someone more scarier than you..,” she said while getting rid of his foot that step on her foot, she then walking toward the boy who get beaten up by the gang, and put back his glass “I heard in this school there is a group called the Jjang, they say that they are this school police..am I right?,” she asked.

“Hmm..but we are their senior, we are from third grade..I don’t think they can do something to us.”

“Ah..is that so?, yah..,” she saw his nametag, “Jinwoo-nim, call the Jjang right now..if they afraid to come here, just tell them to come with head-master. Let’s see, if they can do something to all of you or not, ” she said, then Jinwoo call one of the Jjang member and tell them to come to the rooftop,

“It’s look like I never saw this girl,” one of the gang member said, “are you the new transfer student?, from LA?,” he asked.

“If I’m the transfer student, what are you going to do?,” she aksed, “wanna bully me too?, is that a tradition here?, the weaker one is the one who get bullied by the strong one. But I don’t feel in weaker side nor in stronger side, so..” not long after she said that, Jjang come to the rooftop, just the fourth of them without the head-master, “so, you aren’t afraid of them?,” she asked to the Jjang.

“Why you did this again, sunbaenim?,” the leader said, “head-master couldn’t come but he want me say this..don’t cause any problem if you want to finish your middle school days..it’s what he said…,” he said while the other walking to Jinwoo and help him.

“And..the thing that you mistaken as fear toward all of you, I want to say it that we are not afraid, we didn’t do nothing toward all of you although we know you are in wrong side is because we respect you as our senior, so we just help the one who get bullied by all of you. But if you keep doing this, I think I can tell my dad that there are some student who bullied the other..how is that?, ” the girl of the team said, her father is someone who has power in this school.

“Wahh..I think what you said earlier is wrong..all of you look afraid,” the transfer student while walking pass him, and leave the rooftop with the Jjang.

“Then, do you want to join us, the Jjang?,” the member who always make fuss suddenly asked that to the transfer student while walking to the class, “she is the only girl here, so I think she’s little bit lonely..”

“Did I ever say that to you that I’m lonely?,” the girl asked to him.

“Is that the only reason you want me to join your group?, I’m new student here, I don’t really know about this school…ah, I’m learning to know this school little by little..but join the police of this school, I think is too much. There are another students, right?,” the transfer student said.

“We have another reason, because you help one of the student here.. although you are new here..,” the leader said, “while the other students don’t have courage to do it..”

“They don’t have courage because they rely on all of you, the Jjang. So, as the same student, I just want to say something, make them more brave to do something like all of you, not just rely on..and it’s like it was your first time to said those words to them, right?, you look nervoused before,” she said that to the only girl of the team, “all of you are the police of this school, so be more brave,” then she is sighing, “for join..I’ll think about it..in my school there wasn’t a bunch of students who have this kind of idea to make a group like this..so, I’ll think about it, it’s look fun,” they silently listen to her.

“Hmm, don’t you think your words don’t match with your age?, ” the one who always make fuss asked to the transfer student.

“My words?, maybe it’s because I often heard a lot of adult talking to each other in drama set back then when I was elementary student..or because I read some script about an adult drama, my mom often said that to me too. Then I’ll go first.” Then she leave them.

“For someone who lived in LA, her way of speaking seems like a true Korean.”

“She is a Korean, didn’t she?, she just lived in LA for three years, with her mother and sister,” the nerd said.

“You were searching about her?, haha..” the leader making fun of him, because before he know nothing about her.

Since then, she join the group, she is there as a member who use her body to defense someone (Fighting).

*

2016:

The Jjang Leader POV:

We start as four, but now we are a group contain of five people. This is our place, in this place we can singing, dancing, chatting, sleeping, eating, even crying. Since we graduated from middle school, there are no more the Jjang who help another students, because we studied in different school, but we still gather like before. Now, we are busy doing our own work, one of us, the nerd already have a job since six years ago, after winning first place in National Piano competition, he works in an Orchestra group, and now he is became a song writer for drama soundtrack, he is the owner of this place, Family karaoke, Im Hyunsik. The second one, someone who always make a big fuss over something, he is now a radio DJ, that’s job really suit him well,  a job that required speaking ability, Lee Changsub. Then, the girl who doesn’t have much words, who always look lonely, she is now working in her father company, her father have a big company since 12 years ago, Kang Seulgi. The other girl, still didn’t come, she always like this, became the last one who arrive in this place, she also the last member to join this group, today she said that she’ll be late because she must attend her college friend’s birthday party, but until now..

“Ahhh..,” suddenly someone screaming while opening the door, make the other startled, she is coming, but what’s wrong with her costume, she said that she went to birthday  party, right?.

“Yah..what are you wearing?,” Changsub asked, “it’s not like someone who just come from birthday party..”

“Don’t you know by just looking, her party theme really weird, she want the guests to come wearing zombie costume..because she want that just she who appear beautifully there..” she explained, then drinking water.

“Then you come there like that?,” Seulgi asked.

“Hmm..she is my close friend when we were in college, I can’t make her disappointed. But, this party really make me disappointed..give me that remote control,” she turn on the karaoke machine, and start choosing the song, while explaining what happen in that party, “yah..your friend who join the blind date 2 years ago, and then dating me for 4 months, you still remember him?,” she asked to me.

“Of course, he is my friend, what’s wrong with him?, you meet him again?,” I asked.

“It’s not an ordinary meeting, he’s there as my friend’s fiancé. You know what’s the reason he leaved me like that, he said he want to focus on his study, then I asked my friend since when she date him…she said it’s already 1 year 8 months..is he crazy?, he said want to focus on study,

but he get another girl to date..,” she said, the song start, she get the mic,

“Why she choosed a happy song when she is in bad mood,” Hyunsik asked.

“If she choosed a sad song, she’ll became more sad,” Seulgi answered.

“Let’s listen to her, her voice not that bad,” I said. She start singing Run to you . She is passionetly singing, then suddenly,

“Your ramen is here..,” someone said loudly while opening the door, the one who is singing suddenly screaming because of the girl who just enter the room so sudden,

“What are you doing?,” Hyunsik asked, she is his sister, Hyunjin, “knock the door first before come in..”   

“I already knocking, maybe because unnie singing, so all of you couldn’t hear that..”

“Who’s ordered that?,” I asked to her, “no one order ramen, we already eat that before..”

“Me, because I know that all of you will eat first without me..” the song already end seconds ago, she is back to her seat, “thank you Hyunjin-ah, wah..it’s look delicious..” then start eating, Changsub looking at her, “why?, you already eat ramen before,” she said then continue eating.

“You said you tired of ramen because almost everyday you eat that while editing drama script, why you stil eat that?,” Changsub asked.

“Suddenly I want to eat ramen tonight, keep silent please..that mouth always full of words, never run out of energy..” she criticized Changsub who had so much words. Yeah, now, she is working as script writer..not script writer, just an assistant of a script writer. Although when she was child she is working in front of camera, now she is more interested working behind camera, Park Sooyoung, “ah..I want one of you to became my fiance,” she said after drinking water, it’s make all of us shocked, me who just drinking water get hiccup because of her words,

“Me too?,” Seulgi  innocently asked.

“No, I’m asking the boys..you want to became my fiancé?,” she asked then Seulgi shaking her head in fear.

“I’m getting de javu..”

“What do you mean de javu?,” she asked.

“You don’t remember it when we were high schoolar?. Now, make it clear..what do you mean by became your fiancé?,” I asked, we want to make it clear because she ever did that back then when we were high scholar, and I get choosen as her boyfriend.

“I want to do drama in their engagement party. It won’t be you because he know you,” she said while point at me, yeah me…they said I’m the leader of this group, I’m not really leading this group, but I always the one who take the decision everytime we face a problem, so they call me leader. Now, I’m working as photographer for nature, but sometime  I get an offer to do photoshoot with some magazine, I’m Yook Sungjae.

“So, the candidate only these two,” I said while point out Changsub and Hyunsik.

“Yah..Im Hyunsik, put down that book for a moment, ” she said to Hyunsik, he always bring that book, the book that full of song lyrics, “both of you..”

“I can’t.., and why you always use your ability of acting to deceive the other?, just comeback as an actress  then. Don’t do that again,” suddenly Hyunsik said before Sooyoung finished her words.

“If you don’t want to volounter, then don’t say anything..” Sooyoung said.

“Then, there is no other..just me, are you okay with me?,” Changsub asked. Really, it’s really de javu, back then she said it so randomly like today..in this place.

“I’m the one who should ask you, are you okay with it?, before, Sungjae couldn’t handle the  aftermath.” She said while looking at me, she is grinning, “I’m a woman full of charms..”

“Aishh…seriously,” me and Changsub said it at same time, while Hyunsik and Seulgi looking at her weirdly.

“When is the engagement party?,” Changsub asked.

“Next month…two weeks later,” Sooyoung replied, Changsub give her an okay sign,

“Treat me something after that, okay?,” Chan gsub said.

“If you can act properly…I’ll treat you,” after heard that Changsub smile.