Chapter 2:1 A Hole too Big to Fix.

Eiguh-Ht & Dad ~ From Nook to Cranny ~

A Hole too Big to Fix


Dad had left with first light and I had awoken with no warmth to be squeezed from the flimsy feathers. I had tried to curl up as tight as possible but when I could stand it no more, I had to get up, my legs crunching out of their frozen shape. My whole everything covered in a sharp sting of white frosting, wind lashing my face.  
For the first time I knew where this wind was coming from and I'd forgotten to tell Dad to sort it out. For all the day that Dad would be out, the wind would only leak in more and freeze us over. I had to make a decision. There was no way our home could handle any more cold, so the hole had to be dealt with, even if I was the one to do it. 

I had never stood upon our wood beam in a state of frost before. My toe tips scratching marks in the white scattering (the walls too wet to safely purchase). The window side that Dad had crawled in and out of was over the way, diagonally opposite our Nook. So marking a frosty trail behind my stepping, I carefully padded to the end of our beam, balance faltering with slips and slides upin the crystalised frost, until I reach the correct side of the loft. Climbing up to the over face of our beam, to lighten my own body weight I began to cross the loft, hopping the ends of each beam end until I reached the last beam above the window'd wall. The place from where Dad had lowered his silver thread from. The window top rim being a slight drop down and over, its descending wall wet with cold. Luckily I wasn't going down, Dad had lowered from abover the window, so the hole was somewhere in front of me, possibly higher into the loft. 
 

 

>>>...............In Progress <<<