In My Eyes as per Jin

In Between Worlds

My name is Kim Seok Jin. I am the eldest among my housemates.

I had lived here for years, but I couldn't actually remember how long. I've seen many housemates come and go. I've seen scandals. I've seen heartaches. I've seen triumphs among some of them. I've seen some died.

At one time, I was the maknae of this household. My noonas and hyungs had, as I've mentioned, experienced all the aforementioned.

My landlady, my aunt, doesn't live here. She lived in one of the expensive penthouses somewhere in Gangnam. She had many rentals, but this dingy of an apartment was one she abhors very much. She took me in to spite my father, who always gave her a hard time while they were growing up.

She, however, appointed me as captain of the household when she knew that I was already the hyung, or oppa, to some of the residents. But when the younger girls moved out (they were so concerned that living like a rat would affect their chances of love), no one called me oppa anymore.

Kim Namjoon and Min Yoongi were my first dongsaengs after I became captain (and after Eung Jung-Noona moved out to migrate to London). They loved hiphop, and yet they have different styles. I thought at one time that they'd become fast friends, yet they weren't so. They, however, were quite telepathic about some things. One look, and they'd know what are on their minds.

Next came Kim Taehyung and Park Jimin. When they first arrived here, their satoori was so noticeable that my aunt scoffed at them. I apologized in her behalf, but I told them that they needed to work on their Seoul dialect more. I felt guilty embarrassing them, but the two kids eventually had softened their satoori. But I can still hear them speak it sometimes.

Jung Hoseok came; he proceeded to be the group's glue. His disposition is very contagious, and everyone loved him dearly. He preferred to be called J-Hope, because he wanted to provide hope to the world.

The last tenant who arrived was Jeon Jungkook, our maknae. Quite a dichotomy: tall and muscular (should have been popular with the girls), yet very sullen and withdrawn, the kid never seemed to open up to us yet even when it's been a month already.

But I've seen changes around here. My senses had been sharpened by the changes I see every now and then.

Lately, I would catch Jungkook giving stolen, longing glances to Jimin without Jimin knowing.

Taehyung would keep wriggling his eyebrows to Jimin whenever Jungkook passes by.

Jimin would inwardly sigh and smile quietly as he observes Jungkook doing the household laundry.

Yoongi would give passing, unsolicited notice about love, or lust, coming from the same members of humanity, and Namjoon openly saying yes.

Only Hoseok remained the same. He'd do horseplay, and there'd be ruckus.

And personally, I changed. I, who was once very naïve, suddenly began to kept my thoughts in check. I never knew these people, even though I've lived with them for a year or two. I love my housemates, but I rarely trust them.

And speaking of trust, yes, their parents trust me enought for them to make me the treasurer of the gang. That is, I'm held responsible for giving the kids their allowance.

Let me break the fourth wall, and I shall do so. Remember Jimin running out of school money, and Yoongi admonishing him for being such a spender? Yes, it wasn't allowance week yet, and I have to hold the money tightly. Otherwise, I might not pay our bills on time, we won't have food, and the kids will have no allowance.

Such is the role I play. I'm still a major character of this story though I rarely talk.