The Oceanic Combat

The Curse of the Mask

You find yourselves at Jonggyeu City not long after you beat that final Sewaddle. It was half a day's journey from that small town to Jonggyeu, and frankly, it was interesting watching the different Bunearys hop past and watching the Psyduck swim in the stream. When you arrive, the first thing that catches your interest is the giant structure all the way in the distance, and from what you can tell, in the middle of the city.

It looks old and brown, crumbled at the side, probably from age. You give an uncertain look to Jimin, and he shrugs.

"It was an old Colisseum," he says. "Many Pokemon died there thanks to the games held there. Once the law was passed that no Pokemon was to be harmed, the Colisseum just fell out of use." You nod and shiver as you look over at the Colisseum. The building looks ghostly on its own and you honestly didn't want to go anywhere near it. The vibe it's giving off is something...else.

You and Jimin make your way to the inn, where an elderly lady greets the both of you and you check in. From your room, you can see the train station in the distance, the train station to Gondan, the next city. It seemed like Hoseok knew nothing about Acacia, but from the way he's acting, you know he's hiding something. Maybe you should question the Gym Leaders too.

The Gym Leader of this City is someone who loves surfing, apparently, and even owns a surfer's shack just down the beach, a tram's stop away. Since the beach is the highlight of the City anyways, you and Jimin decide to head on and check it out...and maybe even go surfing once or twice.

"But I don't have any beach clothes!" you exclaim, suddenly self-conscious.

"Doesn't matter. We can go like this," Jimin shoots you a cheeky grin, and you're a little relieved that at least he's not holding anything against you. He takes your hand, and a sudden shot of electricity passes through your hand. You can feel it's charge, and you know Jimin can feel it too.

Jimin coughs nervously, before smiling slightly and bringing you outside, towards the beach. You and Jimin ride the tram down to the beach, and you realize the beach is full of people, adults, teenagers, elderly and children alike, most of them sunbathing and playing in the sand, while some people are playing volleyball and even less are surfing, riding the waves like no tomorrow, the sun reflecting off the bright colours of their surfboards in the water.

Jimin grabs your arm and runs. You almost lose your balance, stumbling ahead before managing to match his pace. Your Pokemon follow closely behind you, and you laugh as Jimin suddenly throws you into the water. You scream as you kiss the waves, your nose suddenly filling with water and something pushes you out onto the beach. You cough and hack as you try to blow water out of your nose.

"Sh*t, I'm sorry, I didn't mean..." Jimin sounds flustered as he tries to make sure you're okay. You laugh and nod, and thank the Dragalge that pushed you back out onto the water. You see someone walking up to you, and you look up. This boy looks slightly older than you, and he has bright blue hair, standing out from the rest of the people. There is a pair of goggles perched atop his head, and he's carrying a surfboard, his Golduck standing next to him.

"Are you okay? You're not hurt, are you?" he asks, concern in his voice.

You smile, shaking your head, "I'm fine. My friend's just a little hard-headed." You wave your hand, dismissing it. You then notice something clipped to his shirt. "Hey, is that..."

"Hmm? This?" he points to his shirt. "Yeah, it's the sign of the Gyms under the Pokemon Association."

"Oh, you're a Gym Leader?" you grin. "That means I can fight you, right?"

"Oh, you're a challenger?" he returns, smiling. "I'll have to get ready for you, then. If you want to fight now, we can. I'll find you in my Gym?"

"Okay!" you call, grinning. "What's your name?"

"Aquon."

********************************************************************

"At least you arranged for a later time," you grin. "Or else I wouldn't have been able to eat ice cream and play!"

Jimin rolls his eyes, "Luckily you have me by your side."

"Whatever," you smile, your face caked in ice cream.

"You've got ice-cream everywhere," Jimin chuckles, taking out the paper that you've gotten from the ice-cream stall earlier and he wipes your face, pressing the paper against your cheek. You giggle as it tickles, and you see Jimin offering you a small smile.

After finishing your ice-cream, you decide to head back. It's nearly five in the evening, and your appointment's in half an hour. After that, you can probably retire for the night, but there's a small market that probably sells interesting stuff. You and Jimin take the tram back to the City, and...

It's totally dark. There's not even any streetlights. Do people not come out at night? At least you still have some light from the setting sun. You make your way quickly to the Gym, and you open the door, light almost blinding your face. You marvel at the Gym in front of you.

Aquon's standing right there, in the middle of the first platform, waiting for you.

"Ah, here you are," he smiles again. "This Gym Challenge is really simple. Ride the geysers to the top, where I'll be waiting for you at."

With that, he walks through a walkway built into the Gym walls as his Golduck follows suit behind him. You turn to Jimin. "I guess he expects a Double Battle, since we're together."

"Right," Jimin nods. "Come on, let's do this."

*********************************************************************************

As usual, there are trainers in the Gym, ready to challenge you whenever you get near. You manage to get through the Trainer battles fairly easily, especially since you're taking part in the Double Battle challenge. Unlike in Raion's Gym, this Gym allows the use of four Pokemon per side.

Riding the geysers was fun. When you stand on top of it, simply pressing the button at the side lets water stream up from the geyser and you were lifted into the air and up onto the next platform. You finally make it to the final platform, where Aquon is at, standing there with his Golduck.

"A Double Battle with four Pokemon," he states, before sending out two Pokemon. His Golduck isn't fighting? One of his Pokemon is a blue monkey, with some blue fluff at the top of its head. The other one is a small...seahorse thing and it looks cute as h*ll.

Panpour. Level 20. Type(s): Water. Moves learned: Bite, Rain Dance, Water Gun, Ice Beam. Ability: Gluttony. The water stored inside the tuft on its head is full of nutrients. Plants that receive its water grow large.

Horsea. Level 20. Type(s): Water. Moves learned: Twister, Smokescreen, Rain Dance, Flash Cannon. Ability: Swift Swim. Horsea eats small insects and moss off of rocks. If the ocean current turns fast, this Pokémon anchors itself by wrapping its tail around rocks or coral to prevent being washed away.

"I'll give you the first move," Aquon says, crossing his arms over his chest.

You watch as the tension becomes thick, the Pokemon becoming even edgier than a while ago. You have sent out Scatter and Jimin has sent out Minun. You stare at the Pokemon in front of you, Horsea.

"Stun Spore!"

Scatter dives forward, yellow spores flying out from its body, straight towards the two Pokemon.

"Minun! Spark!"

Minun covers itself in electricity, the crackling sounds like buzzing in your ears as Minun slams itself against Panpour, the monkey reeling back and both of the Pokemon look like they're unable to move.

"Panpour! Ice Beam!"

Panpour looks like it's forcing its body to move as it aims upwards, where Minun has leapt, for another Spark attack, and a stream of ice shoots upwards. Minun, unable to maneuver in the air, is frozen from the head down, falling hard to the ground and landing with a "Thunk!"

"Scatter, String Shot!"

String flies from Scatter's mouth, and wrapping Horsea in a cocoon of string.

"Break out of it, Horsea!" Aquon commands. "Rain Dance and Twister!" 

Horsea angles its head towards the air, as if calling for something, and immediately, rain clouds gather near the roof of the Gym, and you feel the first drops of a drizzle before it becomes a downpour. The string is slipping off Horsea quickly, and Horsea is suddenly behind Scatter, enveloping the other in a giant tornado. Scatter dives out of the tornado in an alarmingly brave feat and tackles Horsea, slamming into it hard and knocking it to the ground.

Horsea is lying down, fainted, and Aquon returns it to its Pokeball, sending out his next Pokemon. A crab-like Pokemon.

Clauncher. Level 20. Type(s): Water. Moves learned: Bubblebeam, Flail, Rain Dance, U-turn. Ability: Mega Launcher. Through controlled expulsions of internal gas, it can expel water like a pistol shot. At close distances, it can shatter rock.

"Clauncher! Bubblebeam!"

A string of bubbles fly from Clauncher's mouth, and Scatter squeaks as it's assaulted by the many bubbles floating its way, bursting painfully against its body. Meanwhile, it looks like Jimin's in trouble too. Minun slams down its opponent with a Swift attack, having broken out from its ice cocoon and sending stars flying towards Panpour.

Panpour hits the ground with a thud, and so does Minun, from the exhaustion. Both trainers return their Pokemon to their Pokeballs and send out thier next ones. Golduck finally comes onto the field, and Jimin sends out Growlithe, the dog barking as it finally gets some action.

Golduck. Level 35. Type(s): Water. Moves learned: Rain Dance, Psychic, Disable, Scald. Ability: Damp. Golduck is the fastest swimmer among all Pokémon. It swims effortlessly, even in a rough, stormy sea. It sometimes rescues people from wrecked ships floundering in high seas.

Level 35?

Golduck is faster. Way faster than Growlithe as it darts to and fro, moving like a shadow and Growlithe is unable to see what's happening as Golduck moves, slamming Growlithe with a Scald attack, the boiling water flying from Golduck's mouth hitting Growlithe hard, the Pokemon lying on the ground, panting.

A bright light comes from Scatter's body as it defeats Clauncher with well-timed and aimed Stun Spore attacks and Tackles. Something bursts out from Scatter's skin. The Pokemon's blue wings spread out, a small body emerging from Spewpa's skin. The Pokemon bursts out and your Pokedex beeps again.

Vivillon. Level 15. Type(s): Bug, Flying. Moves learned: Tackle, Struggle Bug, Protect, Stun Spore. Ability: Shield Dust. The patterns on this Pokémon's wings depend on the climate and topography of its habitat. It scatters colorful scales.

Scatter flies into the air, wings beating furiously as it glares down at Golduck. Looks like even if Scatter changed forms, it didn't lose its fighting spirit! Scatter huffs as it releases a whole area full of Stun Spore, and no matter how fast Golduck is, it is still affected by the yellow powder, unable to move now.

"You can't move now!" you feel triumphant. Even if your levels are worlds apart, at least you've got the upper hand now.

"Golduck can't move, but he can still attack! Disable and Psychic!"

Scatter is hit with the Disable attack, and it screams as a sudden ultrasonic wave enters our ears, forcing Scatter to the ground and Golduck takes this chance, slamming Scatter with a Scald attack, forcing me to withdraw Scatter.

Meanwhile, Growlithe charges at Golduck from behind, hitting it hard with a Flame Wheel attack, causing Golduck to flinch and from the looks of it, Golduck has sustained a burn. You grab your next Pokeball and send out your next Pokemon, Chim, who has evolved into a Monferno.

"Mach Punch!"

Monferno dives in front of Golduck and slings its fist at the duck, socking it in its beak and sending Golduck flying straight into Growlithe's Reversal, Growlithe panting as it finishes up its move. Golduck slumps to the ground, exhausted and suffering from the burn. Despite a few attempts at trying to snipe at Growlithe and Chim with its Scald attacks, before the burn weakens it and Chim manages to defeat Golduck with a powerful Ember attack.

"Ah, you're good," Aquon smiles, and he retrieves something out of his pocket. Two things, actually, giving one to both you and Jimin. "This is the Ocean Badge, and it allows Pokemon up to level 30 to obey you." He hands you two discs, just like Raion did. One is the HM03, Surf, and the other is the TM18, Rain Dance. 

"You'd best get going back," Aquon says, smiling. "I've got to lock up the Gym soon."

"Why's the city so dark at night?" you ask, the question bursting out of your mouth. You've been wanting to know ever since you came back to darkness from the beach.

Aquon presses his lips together firmly. "Did you hear of the legend of the Colisseum?" 

"A little," you glance over at Jimin.

"You know a lot of Pokemon died there, right? For centuries. Trainers just catching Pokemon to send them out to die. They said the Oakre region passed a law to disallow the fighting of Pokemon, right? But from what I heard, that's not really the case," Aquon says. "Actually, it was really stopped because it was said that the ghosts of the Pokemon roam the Colisseum, killing anybody who went in, and anyone who stayed out too late at night."

You shiver. Is the Colisseum really that scary? Killing? Seriously?

"Recently, people have been disappearing, and those remaining thinks that they have been kidnapped by the ghosts. Ever heard of Lacunosa Town in the Unova region? Yeah, something like that," Aquon says. He returns his Pokemon to their Pokeballs and place them into a machine.

"Have you tried to investigate it yet?" you ask.

"Going tonight," Aquon says. "The disappearances are getting more frequent now. Something must be up."

"It's dangerous going in there alone!" You cry.

"Relax, it's probably nothing much. Just some Ghost Pokemon to deal with," he laughs it off as he lets his Golduck out again, and it looks as healthy as ever.

"Well, we're going with you!" you cry, determination in your eyes as Jimin gawks at you.

"No way in h*ll we're going in there!" he exclaims in protest. 

"It'll definitely be nothing much. Just a little Pokemon there up to mischief. I guess you can come along if you want." 

You grin at Jimin, obviously having won this battle and he sighs.

"Fine, we'll go."

*********************************************************************************

Right, lemme give u a hint! The Pokemon they're gonna meet is a Gen 7 Pokemonnnn!! OMG SUN AND MOON IS COMING OUT LUNALA HERE I COME

Here's the status of your Pokemon now:

You:

1) Dish (Oddish). Level 20. Moves learned: Mega Drain, Sleep Powder, Stun Spore, Poisonpowder
2) Chim (Monferno). Level 18. Moves learned: Mach Punch, Cut, Fury Swipes, Ember
3) Scatter (Vivillon). Level 15. Moves learned: Tackle, Struggle Bug, Stun Spore, Protect

Jimin:

1) Growlithe. Level 21. Moves learned: Reversal, Fire Fang, Odor Sleuth, Flame Wheel
2) Servine. Level 20. Moves learned: Leech Seed, Growth, Vine Whip, Leaf Tornado
3) Kricketune. Level 18. Moves learned: Growl, Sing, Leech Life, Fury Cutter
4) Minun. Level 20. Moves learned: Swift, Encore, Spark, Electro Ball

*Moves used in the chapter:

--Stun Spore. (Grass) Used by Spewpa. The user shoots out yellow powder to Paralyze the foe.
--Spark. (Spark) Used by Minun.
The user covers its body in electricity and hurls itself at the foe.
--Ice Beam (Ice Beam): Used by Panpour. The user shoots a blast of ice at the foe and may sometimes Freeze the foe.
--String Shot. (Bug) Used by Spewpa. The user shoots out a shot of string at the foe and slows the foe down.
--Rain Dance. (Water) Used by Horsea. The user conjures rain clouds and the weather turns Rainy.
--Twister. (Dragon) Used by Horsea. The foe is locked in a tornado. This move does a set amount of damage.
--Bubblebeam. (Water) Used by Clauncher. The user launches a stream of bubbles at the foe forcefully.
--Swift. (Normal) Used by Minun. The user launches a stream of stars at the foe in quick succession.
--Scald. (Water) Used by Golduck.
The user sprays boiling water at the foe, Burning it.
--Disable. (Normal) Used by Golduck. The user disallows the target from using a move it's just used.
--Psychic. (Psychic) Used by Golduck. The user attacks the foe with a wave of psychic energy.

--Flame Wheel. (Fire) Used by Growlithe. The user attacks the foe by covering itself in fire and charging at it.
--Mach Punch. (Fighting) Used by Monferno.
The user attacks the foe with a powerful and quick punch. This move always attacks first.
--Reversal. (Fighting) Used by Growlithe. The less health the user has the more damage it will deal.