The Eccentric Leader

The Curse of the Mask

"Gym Leader of Naslu City. Raion," she smiles, her Amaura staying obediently at her side.

"Gym Leader?" you question, obviously never hearing the term before...at least, until you remember something. There is a Gym in progress all the way in Bausn, and the people were excited for it there. 

Raion's jaw drops as you say the word. "You don't know what a Gym Leader is?"

"Well, uh..."

Raion coughs, "Let me explain, then! (I really like explaining, you know). In every city, there is a Gym, and in every Gym, there is a Gym Leader. Gym Leaders allow you to test your abilities and see whether you're ready for the path ahead! Leaders are only going to get even stronger from here on out!" 

"So you're saying you're the weakest Gym Leader?" you say, and Raion coughs again, pink tinting her cheeks.

"Well, not really, per se..."

"Then that means I can beat you?"

Raion huffs, "Fine, whatever. Let's get on with it. To my Gym."

You look over at Jimin, and he gives you an uneasy smile. "Just do your best." You turn back to Raion as she waits for you to follow, hand on her hip as her Amaura shoots you a look.

"You're slow. Keep up, will ya?"

"Uh...yessir!"

***************************************************************

You end up walking into Raion's Gym, what looks to be a giant jewel cave.

"Well, I'll be waiting for you at the back of the Gym," Raion says, reaching out to press a button on the wall, a door instantly opening, revealing a hallway turning to the left. "Oh, and both of you may attempt the challenge."

"Huh? How?"

"There are four options of Gym Battles in the Oakre region," Raion explains. "Single Battle, Double Battle, Triple Battle and Rotation Battle. Sky Battle option is available in Wyndie's Gym, in Gondan City." 

"Oh, okay..." you nod, and turn to Jimin. "Double Battle it is, then!" 

"Okay, you know the rules? Clyde here will explain to you if you don't," Raion says. "I'll see you at the back of the Gym!" She walks through the hallway, closing and locking the door behind you. You turn around to see an elderly man with a walking stick, smiling at you, placing both hands on his walking stick. 

"I'm Clyde," he says. "The rules of this Gym is to find three jewels, a ruby, a sapphire and an emerald. Each can only be found in a specific location in the Gym." He taps his cane. "I wish you luck."

You turn to Jimin, "Come on, let's do this!"

********************************************************************

You bump into many trainers in the Gym, before managing to get ahold of the sparkly jewels (which you're actually allowed to keep) and when you show the three jewels to the trainer at the gate, you are allowed in, and you see Raion standing in the middle of the room. You watch as she holds a Pokeball in her hands, her Amaura leaping forward.

Dish springs forward, along with Jimin's Snivy. Alright, so you know that she has an Amaura, but what's her other Pokemon?

"Alright, here we go!" she throws her Pokeball, the ball flying forward and out bursts a...what is that? Your Pokedex beeps and information spills out onto the screen as you open it.

Carbink. Level 12. Type(s): Fairy, Rock. Moves learned: Tackle, Smack Down, Rock Throw, Sharpen. Ability: Clear Body. It has slept underground for hundreds of millions of years since its birth. It's occasionally found during the excavation of caves.

Jimin's Pokedex beeps now and he takes it out, checking it.

Amaura. Level 14. Type(s): Rock, Ice. Moves learned: Growl, Thunder Wave, Rock Throw, Icy Wind. Ability: Refrigerate. This ancient Pokémon was restored from part of its body that had been frozen in ice for over 100 million years.

Carbink and Amaura are fixing the both of you with steely looks, getting ready to fight.

"I'll take on Amaura, and you take on Carbink," Jimin half-whispers to you. You nod as you focus on Carbink.

Raion starts to get impatient, "So you first fidget with some gadget and now you're not making a move? Then I'll hit first! Carbink! Sharpen and Smack Down! Get rid of the Oddish!"

"Here she comes!"

You barely hear Jimin shouting at you when you see a piece of sharp rock flying towards Dish, that one rock with such speed and precision that it looks almost invisible, hitting Dish square in the head, the rock suddenly presses down, squashing Dish against the floor as Carbink manipulates the rock from where it is. 

You had raised Dish to a nice-enough level (at least, you think so), and you launch a Poisonpowder attack, the purple substance managing to inflict some Poison status on Carbink.

"Acid!"

Acid flies the top of Dish's head, the gooey substance covering Carbink completely. Carbink flinches and moves backwards, trying to shake the acid off of it. You look over to Jimin's Snivy and his opponent, Snivy wrapping its body around that of the Amaura's in a Wrap attack, while still managing to attack the Amaura with a Vine Whip.

"Amaura, Thunder Wave!"

The Amaura screeches, whole body crackling with electricity, and Snivy suddenly stops moving, falling off Amaura's body, while Amaura readies a Rock Throw. Snivy yelps as the rock hits it hard, slapping it to the side and Snivy hits a wall, slumping against it. Jimin hisses as he checks Snivy's health levels. It's dropped significantly. Not a good sign.

"W-What does that do?" you look over at Snivy, wondering what has just happened.

"Thunder Wave inflicts Paralysis. I thought you would know," Raion has her arms crossed, and she's smirking. 

"Finish it off, Icy Wind!"

Snivy is knocked out cold from a single Icy WInd attack, the shards of ice flying towards the Pokemon, hitting it with a draft as Snivy falls to the ground, exhausted.

"It's two against one," Raion grins, turning to you. "You're going dow--" Her eyes widen and she gapes as her Carbink fall to the ground with a thud.

"It's one against one," you grin, feeling confident all of a sudden, Dish panting as it stands over its fallen opponent.

Raion growls, "Whatever. I'm not going to lose!" She points at Dish. "Icy Wind!"

Dish barely manages to avoid getting frozen as it leaps to the side, avoiding the blast of wind. The gale sweeps past Dish and Dish launches an attack of its own, acid splashing out onto Amaura. Amaura shakes the sizzling liquid off its rock body as it cries out, stomping its foot and a rock drops from the cave ceiling above, hitting Dish square on the head.

Dish shakes its head, its leaves rubbing at the spot where it got attacked and Dish runs behind Amaura, jumping onto its back and grabbing onto its neck and steadying itself with its leaves, Absorbing its energy. Amaura looks tired as it hits the ground, Dish looking surprisingly healthy on its back.

"Wait, what?" Raion looks down at her defeated Amaura, and Dish leaps to your side, dancing a victory dance. Jimin places a hand on your shoulder, and you realize the both of you are sweating from the heat of the battle. It's been the hardest battle ever since the start of your journey, and Raion said that there'd be more to come. Stronger foes.

"Remember I said that there's a souvenir you should collect from every city? Well, here it is," she hands you and Jimin each something small and shiny. You turn it around in your hands, entranced by the beauty of its design.

"It's the Stalactite Badge," Raion informs you. "It proves that you're worthy of using these. She hands you two discs placed neatly in two disc cases. She points to the bigger one. "This is the HM01, Cut. You're probably heading through to Jonggyeu next, and you'll need to walk through a forest before you can get there. There are many small trees blocking your path, so Cut will be the ideal move. It can be used more than once, so your friend here can use it too."

"Oh, okay," Jimin nods, then points to the other one, with a brown hue. "What's this for?"

"That was a HM, and this is a TM. This is TM23, Rock Smash," says Raion. "HM moves can't be forgotten by Pokemon so easily, but TM moves can be forgotten in the blink of an eye!"

"Well, you'd better be going off now," Raion says, voice trailing off, and she looks like there's something to be worried about. You wonder what about it for a moment, before you shrug it off and head outside with Jimin, Dish following at your feet and Chimchim's sitting on your shoulder, along with Scatter. 

"Where are we headed to next?" Jimin asks as you exit the Gym. You've probably about half a day to get to the next city, which is probably, as Raion said, Jonggyeu City."

"What are we waiting for? Let's go th--" you bump, literally, into someone since you didn't watch where you were going and you looking up, exclaiming, "Hey, what's the big idea--oh! Kookie!"

The tall boy looks down at you, his Sneasel riding on his shoulder. "Oh, hi, (Y/N). You just came out from your Gym Challenge?" 

"Yeah," you nod, and you feel irritation coming from Jimin again. You're a little annoyed, since Jeongguk's your friend, but whatever. "We got the Stalactite Badge! It's so cool, ain't it?"

"Yep, of course it is," Jeongguk laughs. Something swoops down from above and lands on his shoulder, and that's when you notice his other Pokemon, that seems to look like Froakie but is not Froakie. You and Jimin's Pokedex beep at the same time, and the both of you open them.

Rufflet. Level 20. Type: Normal, Flying. Moves learned: Scary Face, Hone Claws, Wing Attack, Fury Attack. Ability: Keen Eye. They will challenge anything, even strong opponents, without fear. Their frequent fights help them become stronger.

Frogadier. Level 20. Type: Water. Moves learned: Water Pulse, , Quick Attack, Smokescreen. Ability: Torrent. It can throw bubble-covered pebbles with precise control, hitting empty cans up to a hundred feet away.

"Making good use of the Pokedex, aren't you?" Jeongguk smiles. "I'm going to bet you're going to beat the League one day."

"League?" you look confused, and Jeongguk's face softens even more.

"The League is a place where a Trainer proves his or her strength, by challenging the five strongest trainers in the entire region. Each region has its own League. There's the Champion of the League, the strongest Trainer, and the Elite Four, four other trainers who were once Champions of their own right," Jeongguk explains slowly so that you understand. You nod eagerly. This is sounding like fun to you. 

"So if I beat the League I'll be a Champion?" You marvel at the possibility. You! The strongest Trainer in the entire Oakre region!

"Yeah," Jeongguk nods. "Anyways, I've got to get my own badge. I'll see you sometime, yeah? You're headed to Jonggyeu, right?"

"Uh-huh," you grin. "Will you be coming?"

"I might arrive there the next day or so. Plus, there's a small village along the way where you can rest at. It's in the middle of the forest. If you leave now, you might reach Jonggyeu tomorrow noon."

"Oh, okay, sure!" you thank him for the information as Jeongguk salutes you, smiling. You turn back to Jimin, who's expression has darkened considerably and he starts walking towards the entrance of the forest. Your smile drops as you run after him. 

"Hey, what's wrong, Jiminnie?"

Jimin ignores you and continues walking. It'd be wrong to say that you didn't feel a little hurt, but still...you don't feel like you've done anything wrong...does Jimin have something against Jeongguk? Wordlessly, you follow him towards Naslu Forest.

**************************************************************

Hi guys I'm so sorry I feel that this is really rushed I'll try to slow down some :)

Anyways, here's some terms I didn't explain in the story, so if you don't know what these mean: 

*Single Battle: A battle where three Pokemon maximum by either Trainer are used, but only one Pokemon from each side can be on the field at any one time

*Double Battle: A battle where four Pokemon maximum can be used by either side, but only two Pokemon from each side can be on the field at any one time. This Battle can take place with a maximum of four trainers, two on each side. It can also be a Two on One Trainer format.

*Triple Battle: A battle where a total of six Pokemon maximum can be used by either side, but only three Pokemon from each side can be on the field at any one time. This Battle can take place with a maximum of six trainers.

*Rotation Battle: A Battle where a total of three Pokemon maximum can be used by either side, but only three Pokemon from each side can be on the field at any one time. This Battle can take place with a maximum of two trainers. Pokemon are stationed on the left, middle and right side. Pokemon in the middle can hit all three foes, while Pokemon on either side can only hit the middle and the opposing Pokemon on the same side. Pokemon may swap positions.

*Sky Battle: A Battle where only Flying-type or Pokemon with the ability Levitate may take part. If all such Pokemon are knocked out, the battle ends. 

*TMs and HMs: In the Oakre region, HMs are obtained from the Gym Leaders upon defeat. They are simply discs used to teach Pokemon moves that they may not be able to learn naturally. TMs can be bought and given by Trainers.

*Status Ailments: Pokemon may be inflicted with status ailments during battles. Such ailments include Paralysis, Poison, Badly Poisoned, Frozen, Burned, Sleep and Confused. All status ailments can be healed by items bought from shops such as Paralysis Heals (Paralysis, duh) or Awakenings (Sleep), or otherwise, healed by Berries found in the wild, such as Persim Berries (Confused) and Aspear Berries (Frozen). More detail will be explained when you encounter the ailments later in the story.