chapter 2

Coach

 

"What happened to Unnie?" Minseo asked in disbelief while she and her father drove to the hospital.

"She twisted her ankle"

"She's going to be fine?"

"Of course, it's just broken, the doctors would take care of her and she'll be as new pretty soon"  

"Poor Unnie" the girl mumbled quietly.  

Minho parked the car and they walked into the hospital, the girl at the information office explained them how to get to the orthopedic clinic, they found Amber quickly.

Bandaged, Amber rested on the bed, her mother who was already on her way out of the room greeted them as they walked in.

"Unnie!" Minseo called and jumped at Amber with a hug.

Minho waited his turn and leaned to kiss her cheek "so, what the doctor said?"

"I'll need rehabilitation" the boyish girl pouted.

"That bad?"

"The doctor said I crushed the bone"

"Unnie, that means you won't be back soon?" Minseo asked.

Amber nodded "yeah…sorry"

"That's ok, Taemin is nice too, well- he's not cool as you, but he's nice"

"Oh, yes, that Taemin" Minho said when the name mentioned "who is he, do you know him?"

"Yeah, we were at the academy together, he's a nice boy"

"Why haven’t you told me he's replacing you?"

"I didn’t have time, I rushed to the hospital" she said defensively.

Minho nodded understandingly.

The girl smiled knowing he was being over protective again "Oppa, don’t worry, he's a good boy and a very good swimming teacher"

"Miss Liu, I'm Dr. Lau-" a young orthopedist walked into the room and interrupted the conversation, both he and Amber looked at each other surprised "Amber?"

"Henry?"

Minho shared his gaze between the two and a huge smile crossed his lips when he realized what was going on, it was too funny to be real.

"What are you doing here?" Henry asked.

Minseo looked confused at her father before she whispered not so quietly at him "Appa, who's this?"

Minho smirked at Amber as he explained his daughter "this is probably Unnie's orthopedist"

"So why he looks so surprise, her leg isn’t going to be fine?" she asked concerned.

Minho turned his gaze from Amber "she'll be fine… let's go sweetie, Dr. Lau need to exam Unnie"

Minseo nodded and gave Amber another hug before she waved goodbye, Amber looked at them miserably, begging with her eye not to be left alone while Minho just smiled devilishly and waved as well.

Embarrassed, Amber tried to smile at Henry who obviously wasn't amused, he was probably still a little offended by their unsuccessful date from last week.  He reached her bed and started to exam her leg professionally, his hand was soft on her skin as he pulled her jeans up a little so he could see her bandaged ankle.    

He placed his palm against her heel and amber groaned in pain, her fists held the sheets of the hospital bed as he estimated the damage of the bone.

"Sorry" Henry said dryly and kept doing his work.

The girl gave him a harsh look that says- I know you're doing it on purpose but can't prove you wrong.   

There was an awkward silence between them for a moment before he suddenly said "I'm a man"

"What?"

"You told me to call you when I'll be a man, so for your information, I'm a man, a very good one, I'm loyal, sensitive, hard worker, I'm even funny… but you were too busy judging me instead of finding that about me"

Amber gulped "I'm…I- ah…"

Henry shook his head and she shushed "never mind" he mumbled and let go of her ankle.

On his way out of the room Amber called his name, he turned and saw a sheepish look on her face as she asked for his forgiveness, like ignoring it he kept walking out, he could hear her groaning with frustration and that made him smile a little bit, her rehabilitation was going to be so fun for him.

 

 

Taemin got out of the community center toward his car, after having Amber's class he still had a long day with his own swimmers.

He called Amber at the moment he plugged his phone into the speakers, after few rings she answered tiredly.

"Hello?"

"How are you?"

"Ah, Taemin-ah. Could be better" she said bitterly.

"Is it bad?" he asked as he woke the engine to life and drove slowly out of the parking lot.

"Yeah, the bone crushed and I'll need rehabilitation"

"Ouch"   

The boyish girl groaned with frustration "I won't be back anytime soon, the management probably would look for a new teacher"

"Don’t let it bother you right now, you need to heal first"

"Yeah, I know, but those girls really important to me"

"There were adorable" he said with a soft tone, she could hear his smile over the line.

"Taemin" Amber said unsure "I know you have your own schedule with your swimmers and Olympic swimmers are more of your style than the community center, but… could you replace me for a little while?"

The boy inhaled like she was asking the impossible, his schedule was pretty busy, he was tutoring 3 kids to the ' Korean youth Olympics' and he managed to come today as a favor to his friend, he wasn’t sure he could make it permanent "I'm not sure Amber, my schedule-"

"For me" she cut him off "just until I'll get back"

He was quiet for a moment, thinking about one swimmer in particular before he said "Minseo"

Confused, Amber asked "what about her?"

"I saw a lot of potential in her today at class"

"She's a great girl and a very good swimmer"

"I want to train her"

"I'm close friend with her father, I could talk with him" Amber said unsure what would be Minho's answer for that.

Small smile crossed Taemin's lips as he thought about Minseo's father, he was pretty cute "then I'm yours as long as you'll need"

"Thanks!" she said gleefully.

"Well, I'll come visit you later"

Amber hummed in approval and they hung up the call.

 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

 

Minseo giggled as they all went up stairs to Amber's apartment "Unnie, you look like a princess"

Amber smiled in a funny way and tapped Minho's chest while he carried her, she couldn’t walk on her broken ankle yet though it was bandaged.

"So, what does it makes me?" Minho asked glancing at his daughter "prince charming?"

Minseo thought about it seriously "I don’t know, can you be prince charming if you don’t like to kiss princesses?"

Minho smiled "prince charming is someone who's charming, it doesn't matter who he likes to kiss"

"You right…so yes, you can be prince charming, Appa"

"Thank you" Minho said and bowed his head making both girls laugh "now, please open the door young lady, princess Unnie is heavy!"

"YA!" Amber called and punched his chest, his hard muscles made her hand hurts.

Minseo smiled and left the groceries bag that was in her hand on the floor, she pulled Amber's keys from her pocket where she put it when they went out of the car and unlocked the door, Minho thanked her as he walked into the living room, he placed Amber on the couch before he went to take the groceries bag from his daughter's hands and placed it at the kitchen.

"Unnie, put this underneath your leg" Minseo said as she pulled one of the many pillows that were on the couch.

"Thank you sweetie" Amber said and lifted her leg slowly so it won't hurts while the girl fixed it for her.

Minho finished placing all the groceries in the fridge and joined them at the living room "what do you want for dinner?" he asked.

"Jajangmyun!" both called making him laugh, he nodded and went back into the kitchen.

While Minho cooked the girls watched TV, 'running man' was on air and they both really liked it, he had no idea why after all it was just another variety show without even a plot to follow but seeing them laughing made him smile.

When dinner was ready they all sat at the living room so Amber won't have to move her leg, she was in pain and even though she said nothing Minho knew it, her doctor- Lau, Henry- recommended that she'll stay at the hospital for another night but after one night only Amber said she was going home.

Minho wasn’t stupid, he knew she wanted to go home because of Henry, she couldn’t see his face after their date, not to mention the fact that she apologized and he ignored, no matter what was the reason it was stupid decision because Henry was her doctor and she'll have her rehabilitation with him anyway.

After dinner, Minseo fell asleep on the couch while the grownups left to talk, Minho got up from his seat to cover his daughter before he carried the used dishes to the sink, he came back with popsicles as desserts before he sat back by Amber's side "are you comfy?"

The girl hummed "thanks"

"What for?"  

"For taking me from the hospital, for buying groceries at the market, for carrying me all the way up, for making dinner…"

Minho smiled and his popsicle "you're my friend. Besides, you did much more when Changmin died, it's my time to return a favor… though, I do think you should have stayed at the hospital for few more days"

"I couldn’t stay there anymore, it was frustrating"

"Because of Henry…?"

"No. Yes. No!"

"Admit it…!"   

Rolling her eyes Amber groaned "yes, well, wouldn’t you do the same?!"

Minho shook his head.

"Ah…what do you know!"

"I'm worried about you, you can barely move your leg, how would you move around the apartment? How would you even go to the bathroom? Shower? Food?"

Amber wrinkled her nose and pushed the popsicle into taking a big bite "my mother would help me, don’t worry"

"She won't be here all day long"

"I'll be fine"

Minho knew it wasn’t worth fighting Amber for, she was stubborn "I'll come every evening to help as well"

Amber smiled and nodded her head like it was sort of compromise she was willing to have.

Minseo mumbled through her sleep and made them both look at her, smiling they turned to look back at each other "Oppa, I had a talk with Taemin today"

Minho hummed, the name lingered in his memory for a moment before he frowned, what about that boy….?

"…We talked about Minseo"

"What about her?" he asked suspiciously.

"He said she's a good swimmer and have a lot of potential, he wants to train her one on one" she waited for Minho to process her words before she continued "he's training kids to the Olympic youth games and think that Minseo-"

"No" he cut her off.

"Why not?" Amber asked confused.

"It's just a hobby, I don’t want it to control her life"

"But it makes her feels good"

"She's still a child and that takes a lot of discipline and responsibility"

"And it's not a wrong thing for her to learn it in a young age"

Minho shook his head firmly "no, it's too much for a child at her age, I want her to work hard on her studies instead"

"She can have good grades and be a great swimmer-" her words drift while Minho kept shaking his head and she knew it was worthless trying to convince him, her friend needed time to think about it, let it sink, so she changed the subject and hoped he'll change his mind someday.