001

Royals

No Mercy

 

 

"Because you’re like that, I’m like this – if you weren’t like that, would I be like this?

Just stop and quit it – just go away over there." B.A.P, No Mercy

 



♔Park Hyun-Ae♔

 

 


-
 

 

 

September 16, 2015

    "Eomma!"

    "Aish! Be quiet!"

    "Eomma!" their cries were getting louder and louder as the seconds seemed to pass by painfully slow.

    "YAH! Be quiet! The heavens will be angry because you both are too loud!" I covered my ears with my pale hands as I let out an annoyed groan. The twins ran off, their blue raincoats flowing with the cold winter wind as they ran. I turn my gaze upwards. I silently glared at the dark grey sky with hate for having to rain on the only day where I actually wake up early.

    What a day I was having, really.

    First, those annoying twins really did make the heavens angry, because now it's raining cats and dogs. I came out here to the convenience store just a few minutes from the gates of the prestigious Royal Academy, the school my best friend and I attend, so I could meet up with my so-called best friend. Turns out he's running late, now I'm stuck here in the freezing rain, cursing the heavens like the mad lady I am. I took a deep breath to try and calm myself once more.
 

1, 2, 3… I counted to ten bitterly.


    After counting to ten, I inhaled the cold scent of my surroundings. Despite the freezing weather, I have always loved the scent of the Earth after it rains. On other days, I would have loved to play under the rain. Like a scene from the movies, I would twirl under the rain and giggle like a child after throwing my umbrella away. Even when my hair and clothes got wet, I always enjoyed the feeling of the raindrops kissing my pink cheeks. Today, however, was just not my day.

    "Yah, Park Hyun-Ae!" a voice that I was oh-so-familiar with called from the other side of the narrow street. "Why are you yelling at the world's future successors this early in the morning?!" Jackson Wang, my best friend since the golden diaper days, said with a teasing smile. I flipped him off as soon as he said those words causing him to smile even more. I silently glared daggers at him.

    "More like the world's future destructive brats," I huffed as I crossed the narrow street hastily after checking both ways. His driver, Mr. Song, hops out of the vehicle and opens the back door of Jackson’s service car, a sleek white Range Rover SUV, letting me in. I gave him a slight nod as a sign of thanks. I turn to face Jackson, who ruffled his own platinum blond hair after he took off his black beanie, causing his hair to stick up in many directions. He then smoothed it out before holding the beanie in his hands.

    My teeth were chattering violently because of the freezing temperatures South Korea has been having. Add in the unfortunate encounter with the rain, I could have died from pneumonia or something like that! (I think I am exaggerating a bit, I don’t even know what pneumonia is, should have paid attention in Health class. Okay back to the point.)


    "Seriously, Ae. What were you doing with those kids in the freezing rain?" Jackson asks as he places his black beanie on my damp, black hair. I rolled my eyes and crossed my arms. I leaned back on the leather seats and closed my eyes. I needed to get a little shuteye due to my lack of sleep. Can it possibly be illegal to wake up before 7 am?

    "At first they argued about something stupid, I think about that upcoming Batman vs. Superman movie or something irrelevant, and then I told them nicely to be quiet. Why is it when I ask people in a nice manner, how come it always backfires?! Might as well be a if having manners gets you nothing!" I think I exaggerated more than I should have, but it is the truth!

    "Then they began crying for their birth-giver. Silently, I felt as if they mocked me for not having a mom by my side."

"It hurts, but moving on is another way of saying you have accepted what had happened, and you have learned to live with it. "


    Such wise words from Jackson stunned me. My eyes widened a bit as I held my gaze with him. Silence filled the air. I'm guessing that many people found out already, even if it has only been two days.

    It was a few moments after when I blurted out, "Seriously, Mom better buy me a box of Swiss chocolate! Wow! Why did she and dad leave for a sudden vacation in Switzerland?! Why'd she leave me alone?! Waking up to a note the next day saying it’s for my independence! Hell, she even knows I cannot take care of myself! Does she not remember when I burned the microwave while heating bread? When there was a toaster?!  Watch, the second they step back in this country they'll-"

    I was cut off by Jackson stuffing an apple in my mouth. I chewed it slowly and then swallowed it. He gave a slight chuckle. "You didn't eat breakfast huh?"

    "It was your fault, Wang." I say not taking my eyes off the delicious dark red apple. I took another huge bite from the apple, chewing a little more faster as I was starving like a wolf. It was a habit of mine to rant a lot when I am hangry. Yes, hungry and angry.

    "How? Okay I’m sorry for not buying you ramen, but I was-"

    "You call me up saying you want to eat ramen with me, I woke up at 6:30 am and I get dressed early, and go to the store in which our favorite ramen is being sold,” I cut him off quickly not wanting to hear the same excuses. “Then I went, not eating breakfast because it had been a while since I ate ramen, which happens to be my favorite food by the way, and I wanted to share with my so-called best friend. I arrive being greeted with the intense sound of two childish twin boys crying about their mom. I am then stuck under the rain with a hungry stomach and a burning passion to murder you." After ranting I turned to look at him only to find him fiddling his fingers together. Jackson's head was hung low. He always hated it when I scolded him, even if he was older.

    "You know what the worst part is, Jackson Wang?" I growled lowly. I hear a faint 'What' under his breath.

    "I never got my ramen."

-


    On normal days, I would enter the campus of Royal Academy with a bright, welcoming smile to all my juniors. My juniors would then greet me with warm smiles and skip off to class. Being one of the most respected students of Royal Academy has its perks.

    On the days when Jackson Wang never sticks to his promises, I walk down the campus with a look on my face that makes my juniors part like the Red Sea. It was very clear that I was not in the mood to be messed with, but then again, isn’t that me 24/7? Many people call me a demon, others called me Lucifer's twin sister, or even the Devil Reborn, in this state.

    A deadly aura surrounds me when I'm in this kind of mood. It was very apparent that devil horns were present. Whispers would break out amongst them all and rumors would circulate to why I'm in this mood.

    People would say:

    'Maybe Hyunae-sunbae got a bad grade?'  

That was only when I fell asleep during Health class, damn, I really am terrible at that class.


    'I hope Hyunae-unnie has eaten, you know she is like this when she hasn't eaten!'

 

Jackson has broken his promises of feeding me ramen so many times, I swear the next time he forgets I’ll just eat him alive.

    'Maybe she's on her period...'

 

Know thy facts! Just because girls have a resting face, does not mean that they are on their period, 24/7!

    With water dripping on the hardwood floors leading to the Red One homeroom, I barged into my homeroom at the east side of the 4th building, and plopped into my pure brown leather swivel chair. I slammed my Louis Vuitton backpack on top of my sturdy wooden oak desk. I took off my long red coat decorated with splashes of raindrops and hung it on my chair. I leaned back and propped both of my legs on my desk and let out a huge sigh of relief. I picked on my black stockings unconciously and continued to plan Jackson’s death, with the occasional thoughts of his class president/best friend, JB, the school’s ultimate campus crush. But not even the thought of the kind, talented, handsome, Im Jaebum can get me out of this bad mood of mine. I mean it wasn't like I was in love with him, I just looked up to him. I let out a loud sigh and covered my face with my hands.

    "Someone's in a bad mood today," I opened my eyes to see one of my closest best friends lean against my desk. "What happened to you, Queen Ae?" Annabeth Wang gave me a teasing smile at the mention of my infamous nickname, 'Queen Ae.'

    "Annabeth Wang, I am not in the mood today, thanks to your bloody cousin. So God help me or I'll burn this school down, better yet those stupid plushies of yours." I leaned back on my chair to at least try to find peace and quiet. It only lasted so long, until she flicked me on the forehead. I instinctively clutched my forehead as the pain sinks in. I look up to see her giving me the middle finger while she walked away, probably to her infamous collection of Rilakkuma plushies. I will never admit it, but damn, I wanted to steal her plushies when we were 10.

    "Good Morning, Hyunae-unnie!" Cha Seulgi, Red One’s hyper maknae, chirps happily. I open my mouth to scold her about her volume, but her loud mouth beats me to it. "Unnie, I was wondering if you could help me with the essay about the book we read last week. You know, To Kill A Mockingbird?" Seulgi blinks her eyes continuously hoping inwardly that I would give in.

    Here's the thing about Seulgi. Her definition of "Help me with this," or "Help me with that," is "Let me copy your answers."

    "Ask Areum-unnie." I push her to Areum-unnie whom was engaged with typing her essay at the next desk towards my right. She was the one who represented Red One in our academics. Well, all five of us had to be very hard working and intelligent, but Lee Areum was on fire when it came to her academics. Keep in mind that she did not like to lose.


    For the billionth time in the past 10 minutes, I was about to rest for a little bit, until the luxurious French double doors of the common study slammed open with a BANG!

    "For the love of God! Do you want the doors to break?" I yelled with an irritated tone clear in my voice. I was about to yell once more when I saw the last member of Red One, hunched over, breathing heavily, hands on her knees. She isn't like this since she is an athlete unless—

    "Yah Kim Dalhee! Are you okay? Code One or Two?!" My leader mode activated. Back in middle school, the girls and I came up with innocent codes because we were bored once on a school trip to Busan. For example, Code One was if there was a natural disaster, Code Two was if teachers were going to be visiting the top classes to see their progress, etc. So far in our Senior year, Code One was only mentioned when the first floor was flooding due to heavy rainfalls earlier in the school year.

 

Annabeth and I rushed towards her side. I put an arm around her shoulders and brought her to her chair. Areum-unnie took her focus out of her computer for a little and rushed to the refrigerator to get her water. "Yah Cha Seulgi! Don't you dare copy Areum-unnie's essay!" Annabeth scolded Seulgi whom was tip-toeing to Areum unnie's desk. She pouted and went back to her desk. I rolled my eyes at her immaturity.


    Areum-unnie gave Dalhee the water bottle and she drank it so fast! Man she must be really tired from... well, whatever she was doing before rushing into the classroom.

    "Ae-unnie… none of the codes," Dalhee breathed heavily. I kept muttering for her to inhale and exhale. "Headmaster...calling all of us... his office... ten minutes... important... jewels..."

    Holy Ramen. This must be really important. The Headmaster rarely calls anyone to his office unless it was really important. Perhaps...

    "Seulgi-ah!" I rushed towards the sulking maknae and shook her shoulders. She sat up alert and had panic written in her eyes. Seulgi was the sociable one in Red One. She has the latest gossip and what not. She always seemed to know what happens within the walls of our school.

 

"What was the latest report of those wretched EXO boys?" I asked, dread creeping up my spine as my mind started to guess on what might this meeting would be about..

    "Unnie... the last I heard of them was that they were going to the Headmaster's office. . . I heard Suho-oppa talk to Baekhyun-oppa something about your prank gone wild... Five minutes ago before arriving to class from getting a snack at the vending machine."

    The room went drop dead silent. I felt my blood run cold.

 

I shouldn’t have pulled the superglue prank on them. Did they check the CCTV cameras? I mentally facepalmed myself at my own stupidity. Long story short, I placed superglue on Luhan’s chair yesterday as a part of EXO’s and Red One’s unofficial prank war/long time rivalry, when Code One happened to them. The Headmaster visited them and Luhan stood up to greet him, only to be met with the sound of pants ripping. I even placed a camera to monitor what was going on. The prank went well, unless they found out it was me somehow. I have an itchy feeling that those boys checked the CCTV cameras. There was a high possibility that they did check, however, I just wanted to convince my mind that they didn't so that I can calm down. Talk about false hope.

 

We all looked at each other and rushed to get to the Headmaster's office. Areum-unnie snatched the keys to our classroom in case of an emergency. Annabeth was encouraging Dalhee that she could take in a few more minutes to get to the Headmaster's. Seulgi and I were in the front running for the elevator. I pressed the up button multiple times until I heard the DING!

    We rushed into the empty elevator and Seulgi clicked the 'H' button. The Headmaster was ridiculously rich that he has an elevator going straight to his office. Let me take my time by explaining how the school system at the Academy works.

    The Red One’s classroom is at the East end of the 3rd floor in Building 4. Royal Academy has 4 buildings for the High School Department. Building 1 for freshmen, Building 2 for sophomores, Building 3 for juniors, and us seniors at Building 4. The Royal University is another story, as well as the other departments.

    In the fourth building, the fourth floor is the Headmaster's office. There are three floors are for the 6 classes. The leaders of each class were given the chance to name themselves. B.A.P are at the west end of the 1st floor, while TWICE are on the other far east side of the 1st floor. Same thing with GOT7, Jackson's class, and F(x) on the second floor. For Red One and the infamous EXO, it is the same. Only imagining how large each floor was - can actually hurt an individual. Just know, each floor is ridiculously large.

    The reason why the classes were given the chance to name their group, unlike the freshmen, sophomores, and juniors whom are named after jewels, is because the Headmaster believes that senior year is a very precious year. The year before independence and new experience. Henceforth, six groups were given the chance to name themselves officially. Red One has been around since the sixth grade, but back then we weren’t officially called Red One, just Class A. There are only three rankings in each year of highschool, but those rankings can change. To be first ranking, the class must have a 4.0 GPA in average, there must be excellent participation in school activities, and many more. It is solely based on the performance of the class in general.

    Even though the ride to the Headmaster's office was only about twenty seconds, it felt like eternity. The girls' and I smoothed our uniforms that were made of rich raven colored cotton. Just before the platinum silver elevator doors opened, Red One and I straightened our posture. An emotionless mask covered my face. The doors opened and I lead the girls out walking straight to Headmaster Park Jin Young.

    Ignoring the hateful glances and unnecessary scoffs thrown at us from all over the room (mainly the EXO-A members), my classmates' and I bowed 90-degrees as a sign of respect.

    "Annyeonghaseyo, Headmaster Park Jin Young," we said in a monotone voice. I kept my eyes locked with the Headmaster and the Headmaster only. I saw Dal-hee at Seulgi's right shifting her weight from one leg to the other. Annabeth gave a slight cough, still keeping her gaze forward. Areum-unnie to the left of Annabeth was very silent, like usual, but she chewed her lips softly. Seulgi stood shoulder to shoulder by me and gave me a sideway glance. It was almost as if she was telling me that she was frightened.

    "Thank you all for coming, Red One and EXO," I almost threw up the apple I ate this morning just at the sound of their group name. I guess the feeling was mutual, because I heard a strangled groan from one of them in the back.

    Stupid boys, I thought in my head before slowly planning their death. Painfully and full of screams of agony-

    "Ms. Park, are you paying attention?"

    All eyes were on me.
    
    I gave a sheepish smile towards the Headmaster and nodded my head. I shook off the thought of me being caught because of the superglue prank. If that wasn’t the point, how important could this meeting be anyway? Probably we were all called here to be informed for another academic decathlon. I mentally smirked at the thought of the Red One taking the trophy yet again.

    "As I was saying, thank you for coming. This discussion is very important," The Headmaster stood up from his swivel chair and walked in front of his expensive wooden desk. He leaned against the desk and crossed his arms. "I am well aware about your... rivalry."

    A pin could have dropped and it would be heard. My heart began to beat rapidly and I could feel the hair at the nape of my neck stand.

    Dear Lord, I began to pray mentally.

If I die today, in this room, at the hands of the Headmaster, please spare me. Luhan really did deserve to rip his pants in front of the Headmaster a few days ago! Also, I never meant to yell at those kids this morning! Then again, to be really honest, they were pretty annoying at such an early time of day! Also, if my little cousin asks me where his pet goldfish is, please save me because I flushed Goldilocks down the drain! The darn goldfish wasn't even dead! Also-

    I felt a sharp pain in my right rib to see Seulgi looking at me with frantic eyes. I didn't mean to, but I guess my sub-consciousness was too busy praying, because the next thing I blurted out wouldn't be easily forgotten by EXO, Red One, and Headmaster Park.

    "Also, please tell Jackson I'm sorry for having a crush on his best friend JB back in elementary! It's not my fault the guy had god-like features back then and now!"

    If possible, I would've already drowned in my own pool of embarrassment. Even having a high IQ, one would have personally thought that I would have control over myself.

    Has anyone ever had those moments, where one randomly says an embarrassing moment in front of many people? Then, being the idiot you are, you try to defend your own self? Usually, normal people people would just shut up and not elaborate any further.

    For me? My smartass just had to justify my own self. All in one breathe.

"Don't judge me! Like I said, it isn't my fault JB was really kind, smart, funny, a great leader, caring. Still is, and not to mention the guy has muscles now! Have any of you seen him breakdancing? The guy can move! His-"

I felt at three hands cover my loud mouth muffling my rant. It took a minute for me to sink the information in. In front of the headmaster, six of my enemies and four of my closest friends, I, Park Hyunae, the girl with the cold façade, just blabbered out my old feelings for Im Jaebum, the leader of GOT7.
 

   Snickers were heard around the office. I heard Areum-unnie attempting to muffle her laugh by putting her fist to . I stood frozen as my mind replays what just happened. One could only see my eyes bulging out of its sockets, because my friends' hands still covered my mouth. I wriggled away from their grasps and that was when the Headmaster decided to continue, ignoring my whole rant.


    "Let me get straight to the point without any interruptions," the wise man emphasized 'any interruptions' giving me a warning look. I flushed but silently focused on what the Headmaster had to say.

    "Due to the superglue prank Ms. Park Hyunae pulled on Mr. Lu Han,” I really am screwed. “Instead of bringing your parents in, I will instead put Park Hyunae with EXO, so not only ties between Red One and EXO strengthens, but this also serves as Ms. Hyunae’s punishment for the prank she pulled.”

 

Silence.

 

The Headmaster turned to me and gave me a chilling look.

 

“You should’ve thought about the CCTV cameras Ms. Park.” The Headmaster then began to walk to the elevator but stopped. Without looking back he added, “This punishment lasts for the rest of the year.”

 

Excuse my French, but oh .

 

 

 

-

 

 

Two hours later, here I am, holding a box full of my desk supplies, while workers come in and out of EXO’s classroom placing my stuff at my desk. I had just finished going through a pep-talk with my best friends that consisted a lot of tears from Seulgi, sympathetic looks from Areum-unnie, the infamous "Just beat their asses if they try to mess with you," line from Dalhee, and the apologetic look on Annabeth's face. I did have a suspicion that she's going to use my space for her Rilakkuma plushies, but I pushed the thought away.

 

All 12 of EXO are right in front of me. Technically, the school knows them as EXO-K and EXO-M, but I beg to differ. Despite him being nice to me throughout our years of acquaintance, I stared coldly at Kim Joonmyun, also known as Suho, EXO's leader and the school's president, but his kind smile never faltered. I already knew he meant no harm, but everyone gets the cold treatment from me when I'm angry. Suho stepped up and bowed slightly.

 

“Hyunae-ssi, please do make yourself comfortable here. If anyone bothers you, please do not hesitate to address the problem with me.”

 

I could only bow back and began to walk to my new desk that was next to the giant window over-looking the school’s soccer field. I could feel their stares burning holes in my back. I softly placed the box full of my supplies and began to unpack. I heard the soft pitter-patter of the rain that still is taking place. In many stories, a rainy day was a bad omen.

 

I guess it was foreshadowing, today really was going to be a bad day, I thought to myself.

 

A fist slamming on my desk brought me back to reality. I look up to see the cold, brown eyes of our Deer Luhan. I really meant to say Deer.

 

“You are gonna pay for putting superglue on my chair, Hyunae.” Hatred laced his voice but I not once did I falter under his hateful gaze.

 

I gave him my signature smirk and placed both of my arms on the desk. I leaned forward and Luhan furrows his eyebrows a little.

 

“Save your breathe you deer. We both know we'll get in trouble anyways if we continue to bicker over immature things. Why don’t you prance back to your Bambi over there,” I nodded over to his sidekick, Oh Sehun, who glared daggers straight at me. I was aware that all the members' attention was towards Luhan and I. I paid no attention to them whatsoever.

 

“Why you little-”

 

He was cut off by the hand of Park Chanyeol, a member of EXO-K. As far as I can remember, Chanyeol always was very close to me. I always considered him a friend. My parents talk very highly of Chanyeol and his family. It was always along the lines of him being the perfect guy and him coming from a respectable and honorable family. Smart guy, handsome, talented, he was the full package my parents liked. He really was the perfect guy.

 

“Hyung that’s enough,” his husky voice filled my ears. Luhan roughly shrugged Chanyeol’s arm off his shoulder. Luhan looked at me once more and said, “Just because you got saved by Chanyeol yet again does not make me hate you any less. I cannot believe that the Headmaster would let a girl study with us, nonetheless you! All was fine until you had to get back at me. Watch, you’re going to be the reason why all of EXO will fall second! You are the outcast here and if it wasn’t for that stupid prank, none of us would be breathing the same air as you!”

 

I scoffed loudly and crossed my arms.

 

“Look you ist deer,” I started slowly, voice apparent with anger. “Who asked you for your opinions? Now you’re going to blame it on me if EXO becomes second? For the love of Ramen, man up Luhan! So what if I am a girl? That doesn’t mean everything bad that happens is going to be because of me, nonetheless the fact that I am a woman!”

 

    “Luhan hyung, go back to your seat, please.” Chanyeol tried to play peacekeeper, but he should have known by now that nothing can stop Luhan and I from bickering, unless one shuts the other up.

 

    “Everything bad always happens because of you! That was evident since we were 15!”

 

    Fifteen. That one number that manages to shut me up. The only number that holds painful memories. The only number that makes mehang my head low. Silence engulfed the air. I took a deep breathe in and turned my attention away from Luhan for a little bit, before I saw him looking at me with an unreadable expression. He was only three desks away from mine. I turned my attention to Luhan once more.

 

    “Times have changed. You’re different from when we were 15, I’m different from when we were 15. If you don’t believe that I have changed, go ahead. Believe what you believe. Save the bull, go away. It would be better if you would just shut your trap.”

 

    Fortunately for me, Luhan went back to his desk next to Sehun, not forgetting to sneer at me in disgust, and began to do his thing, whatever that deer can do. I plopped on my chair, (before glancing down to check if there was anything placed on it), and placed my head down on the desk. Unfortunately for me, bad memories of when I was 15 came rushing back. He was still staring at me, but I completely ignored it. Chanyeol rubbed my back for a few seconds before going back to his desk which was right across from me. Everyone but the two of us continued on with their business.

 

    Kim Jongin, can you please stop staring at me? It’s been almost 4 years since you started to give me the coldest treatment in my entire life. It’s been almost 4 years since you began to be the bad boy you are. It’s been almost 4 years since you last loved me. Spare me this one time, please stop making me drown in guilt for what I have done.

This is going to be a long senior year.

-

The Author's Note 99.9% Of the People Skip

 

I hope you wonderful readers enjoyed the first chapter. I started working on Royals in April, but I was very busy so I didn't get to plan the stroyline completely. Back in April I was originally planning to post this on Wattpad, but there were more opportunities here on AFF. This is actually my first fanfiction on AFF, (I think I mentioned that already) and I am really excited for this book.

 

Also, for all the Luhan stans, I'm sorry if I potrayed him as the bad guy, but when I thought about the boys and their characters in this story, I really thought about how they were going to act. I imagined Lulu and Hunhun as the twin devils, and UGH THEY ARE JUST TOO PERFECT!

 

The incident that happened when they (EXO and Red One) were 15-16 year olds, will be revealed slowly as the story progresses. 

 

Just a reference for myself and to you lovely readers:

 

-

 

19 turning 20: 

Kim Minseok/ Xiumin

Luhan

Wu Yifan/ Kris

Kim Joonmyun/ Suho

Zhang Yixing/ Lay

Lee Areum

Annabeth Wang

Byun Baekhyun 

Kim Jongdae/ Chen

 

18 turning 19:

Park Chanyeol

Do Kyungsoo

Huang Zitao

Park Hyunae

Kim Jongin/ Kai

Shin Dalhee

Cha Seulgi

Oh Sehun

 

-

 

Please do subscribe, vote, and please do feel free to comment your thoughts.

Also feel free to ask any questions, I'll be glad to answer it.

 

See you in the next chapter!