Chapter 2

Us and the Universe In Between

It’s the third night since Chanyeol left and Baekhyun almost forgot him until he showed up on his doorstep.

 

Baekhyun opens the door.

 

The first thing he saw is Chanyeol, dried, but worn out. As if he’d been on a marathon without drinking water, not even a drop. And the clothes…he’s still wearing the same like when the last time he saw him.

 

Then Chanyeol speaks. “I know this is embarrassing but I’ve been on the streets for 2 days. I promise I’ll leave the time I am able to do so.”

 

“Don’t you have a home?” Baekhyun swears he is trying his best to not sound harsh because he isn’t, really, but he’s curious.

 

Chanyeol looks around the place. He shrugs. “I don’t remember having here. “ Then he pauses. Both of them pause, not knowing what to say next, until Chanyeol had found something to add. “I’m sorry. I really am. I’ll work hard I promise.”

 

 

Chanyeol is pleading in front of him. He isn’t cute but he looks so sincere and it outdoes the fright in Baekhyun’s heart.

 

“If you plan to kill us, cease it please. We have nothing but ourselves. We’re not rich.” as he sighs

 

“I understand, I promise, but I don’t know how to prove myself to you. I could only swear that I won’t kill you or do anything bad to you. “

 

 

Chanyeol has a point and Baekhyun understands it.  He won’t be able to prove himself not until they die with sickness, letting someone you barely know, in, is dangerous, but still, he opens the door wider so the taller would fit in.

 

 

 

 

 

“You can sleep at the loft. You fit there right?” Baekhyun asks him the moment his hand left the doorknob. Chanyeol nods at that.

 

Chanyeol walks gently and slowly but Baekhyun still lets him first. He doesn’t have to guide or tour him. It’s not that Chanyeol is really a visitor. He’s more of a lodger so the only thing he has to know about the house is where to sleep, take a bath, and eat, and Chanyeol has been in all of there.

 

Baekhyun’s bedroom is at the second floor and so is Chanyeol’s—or rather, the loft. The smaller proceeds in front of him so that he could open the door.

 

“This is good!” Chanyeol affirms while bobbing his head as soon as Baekhyun has switched the lights on.

 

Baekhyun looks at him and smiles as a sign of appreciation even if he doesn’t return the gaze. The guy was too cluttered to notice his room.

 

 

Baekhyun admits, he is such a couch potato, even first rate, but he has no choice because his grandfather couldn’t do much work and even if he could, Baekhyun wouldn’t make him do it, so he learned how to clean and be organized. His room isn’t beautiful, really, but it’s spacious and organized. There’s a wooden upright piano placed diagonally at the corner. A double sized bed at the center, a mini walk in closet and beige walls.

 

On the right corner is the stairs to the loft. Baekhyun points at it and leads Chanyeol there.

 

Baekhyun lets him sit on the bed and tells him to suit himself. He’s still foreign with the situation but he tries his best to smile and be hospitable. He doesn’t really know but somehow, there’s just something in Chanyeol that isn’t daunting despite his tall height and deep voice. It’s surely not his looks because looks can be deceiving but maybe, it’s the relation. Chanyeol’s confusion looks just as pure as his and it’s palpable in his eyes.

 

He promises to come back as soon as he gets something for Chanyeol to wear.

 

 

“Here.” Baekhyun unfolds the shirt for Chanyeol to see. “It’s mine.”

 

“Does it fit me?”

 

“I hope so, this is the largest shirt I have.”

 

“You wear that?”

 

“Sometimes. I like loose.” Then he shows the pajamas next. It’s stretchable and Baekhyun guarantees him it would fit him well. He bids goodbye and left him with clothes and a towel.

 

“Thanks, Baekhyun.” Baekhyun smiles as an assurance. He told himself he needed to rest, not necessarily sleep, just a rest—both mentally and physically. His hand is already touching the handrail and is about to walk down when he turned back. He wants to ask, so he decides to ask. Chanyeol looks questioned by that, but maybe Baekhyun is not yet brave to do that. So he turns his back again until he is finally gone from the other’s sight.

 

 

 

He steps onto his bed and by the time he got himself fully covered as he laid down, he felt something causing him to sit up. His eyes are hurting. Baekhyun takes a deep breath and winces from the pain.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

6:00 AM

 

 

 

 

Chanyeol wakes up and sees another pair of clothes with and the same towel Baekhyun gave him last night on the table. He stands up and gets the garments alongside the towel and just as he’s about to walk away, he noticed something fell. It’s an underwear. And Chanyeol thinks how awkward it felt for the other to let someone borrow his undergarment, if it’s really his. He grins lopsidedly at that.

 

 

Baekhyun sees Chanyeol’s tall built peeking out from the walls. He can’t see him yet he knows it’s him because he’s the only tall man in the house. The grandfather was the first one to greet as soon as he shows up because Baekhyun is still swallowing. They had just started eating. Chanyeol bowed as a reply then his gaze turned immediately to the Baekhyun while smiling. He nods and smiles too.

 

“Is it a perfect fit?” Baekhyun while scanning the other’s built as he positions himself on a chair.

 

Chanyeol holds the hem of the sleeve of the shirt Baekhyun lent him. “I am comfortable. Thank you.”

 

“You look good.” The grandfather compliments as well. There are 4 chairs and Chanyeol chose to sit beside Baekhyun. It’s not as awkward as the first time it happened.

 

“I didn’t know you’re an early bird.” Says Baekhyun while removing a mess on the side of his own mouth with his thumb. Chanyeol chuckles as a response.

 

 

 

 

 

Baekhyun finished washing the dishes just in time because Chanyeol helped and he’s grateful for that. He thanked him afterwards. His grandfather did a lot of talking again that he’s now in rush for work. Both of them are inside Baekhyun’s room right now, not the loft, but Baekhyun’s room, and Chanyeol is sitting on a couch beside the other’s bed. He’s just looking at him fixing his bag, scanning the area, sometimes they talk (Chanyeol asks then Baekhyun will answer) but he refrained himself from talking because the other seemed to be serious and needed focus.

 

“Hey.” Chanyeol turns his face to Baekhyun who started talking.

 

“Mm?”

 

Baekhyun sits on the bed to put on his socks. “Come with me.”

 

“To your work?”

 

“Yeah. You said you want to work so you could pay us right? I’ll help you get into work without documents needed since you don’t have any.” Baekhyun explains in a good-natured way. He’s finally done with his shoes. Chanyeol complied. He’s fine with it though he was worried because Baekhyun seems to be in rush and he has to wait for him but the other said it’s fine. He got into work in time.

 

Baekhyun works as an editorial cartoonist for the broadsheet called ‘Instant’. He was not really a fond of art when he was young, really, he used to at it but one day, when they came into a gallery for a field trip, he all of a sudden felt that it’s what he wants so he practiced and practiced and became good at drawing. His salary isn’t high but enough. There are many of them who work at the same newspaper company but that is where he’s good at so he came up with the decision. It’s been 3 years since he started working for the said field and he may not be the most notable but he’s been acknowledged a lot of times and that’s enough for him.

 

Chanyeol is waiting at the lobby. It does sounds absurd but that’s the only choice they both have since the other doesn’t have any idea of the place but Baekhyun gave him money so he could buy something if he wants to. He said the amount of money he gave to Chanyeol could afford the most expensive coffee at the store nearby the building.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Ken had been best of friends with Baekhyun the first year he started working. Although he’s a senior and one of the most notable cartoonists, he stayed humble and helped him and the others if he needs some. But unfortunately, Ken became gone for unknown reason three days ago, the same day he found Chanyeol and no one remembers him anymore, except for him. Yesterday, he sneaked in to the office to look for his files to prove his officemates that he once existed but he found none.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Baekhyun feels someone tapping his shoulder. He can also hear a voice and recognizes it. It’s Jaekyung, a co-cartoonist whose cubicle is beside his, trying to wake him up. He lifts his face.

 

“It’s lunch time. God, you look so haggard, Baekhyun. Good thing boss didn’t visit or he’ll scold you.” Baekhyun unbends his elbows and stretches it as he yawns.

 

“How long have I been asleep?”

 

“You just worked for an hour I think.”

 

Baekhyun refrained for doing actions the moment he heard of it and his lips formed a small ‘o’. He apologizes afterwards. She told him she understands and tells him he really looked haggard and stressed this past few days. Even the other workers notice it. Good thing she didn’t asked because Baekhyun is now blaming Chanyeol in mind. He has no one to blame but him, he’s not distracted but he’s bothered, if it even makes difference—maybe both. Baekhyun is mentally unstable and he’s not sure of what reason yet. His eyes are hurting again but he tells himself it’s because he just woke up so he pushes the thought off.

 

He sees Chanyeol at the lobby. Looking so bored, sitting on a couch with some water bottle, assumingly his, on the table. Baekhyun couldn’t help but feel guilty but what’s done is done and all he could do now is to fasten his pace.

 

They went to the cafeteria. An unauthorized personnel is allowed there as long as they are with a staff.

 

 

 

A few minutes later

 

 

 

“I really find it strange that you don’t remember anything.” He also shrugs.

 

“Me either. But that’s how it goes so…” Chanyeol leaves his sentence hung then he takes a bite of the cheese fries Baekhyun ordered good for the two of them. It’s not actually the usual cheese fries that have powder already sprinkled on it. It’s called cheese fries because you have to dip it on a cheese sauce, and Chanyeol finds it somehow outlandish.

 

He notices how the smaller cringes and it’s obviously out of pain. “Is it your head?” Chanyeol scoots closer in front causing his stomach to make contact with the table with a really concern look.

 

“I’m not sure if it’s my head or my eye.”

 

“Since when did it happen?” Since you appeared. But Baekhyun didn’t answer.

 

He shrugged.

 

 

 

 

 

They finished lunch, normally. Just like how two people should eat. They’re not strangers to each other anymore but Chanyeol is still a stranger to himself. Baekhyun thinks the same way too that’s why he told him he’ll try his best to leave early so that he could spend time with him—or rather, help him find a job. Because that was his purpose, right?

 

 

Normally, Baekhyun would leave work between 8-9 pm but using what Jaekyung said a while ago, he managed to excuse himself at 7:15. But that doesn’t mean he didn’t do his job. Right now, Baekhyun and Chanyeol are at Lake Caltex—the lake where Baekhyun found Chanyeol according to how his grandfather stated it. It’s night and dark, of course, but there are streetlights that help. Though most of them aren’t working but they don’t really mind. At all. According to the smaller, the lake was once popular to the primary residents of the place and that includes his grandfather but years after, they started building more parks with artificial lakes, playgrounds and such so would’ve wanted a simple lake with simple benches and simple trees right? Even Baekhyun preferred those kinds of parks and that’s why when his grandfather told him he found someone at the said lake, he was shocked. ‘I don’t go there’ was the first thing he thought.

 

 

 

 

 

Days became weeks and it’s almost a month. Chanyeol is beginning to recreate a new memory. Albeit everything, to be honest, is still complicated for him but it’s not as bad as the first time. Also, the latter has already found a job as a janitor in a train station. Baekhyun didn’t want the job for him but applying without files is so not easy. In fact, if it weren’t for Heechul, the warden, who turns out to be Baekhyun’s friend as well, Chanyeol wouldn’t get the job. The salary of course isn’t high but he said it would do him fine, and Baekhyun is not on the rush. In fact, they started hanging out, not really as friends but they make a good company. So far Chanyeol is being trustworthy making the other lie low in judging or fearing him. People like him, even the elders admire him and Baekhyun doesn’t question that. He’s a gentleman, not just in a way that he helps others but really, he’s a gentle man. He’s noisy, and Baekhyun had noticed that he really likes himself but he rather finds it funny than annoying.

 

 

Chanyeol has something that Baekhyun finds him dominant. Perhaps it’s because he is too caring and thoughtful and most of all, gallant. He is just so kind that he can make you feel you could depend on him.

 

 

 

 

Baekhyun puts his coffee back on his desk after taking a sip. He didn’t really like coffee. He drinks but rarely and if he does, of all coffee it’s sure as hell would not be Americano, but Chanyeol always drinks coffee of the said flavor and the former has no choice but to comply until he learned how to like the taste at least. Or maybe it’s because it’s the only available flavor in the cafeteria and Baekhyun is so goddamn tired and pressured and all to complain.

 

He was summoned into Taehee—their boss’ office a while ago and had received the news that he’ll be doing an additional job that has something to do with the newly elected ruler and that comes along with an extra pay of course. He was fine with it, it’s not like it’s the first time not until she revealed that the deadline would be the day after tomorrow. Baekhyun couldn’t demand so he just kept it in and he can’t help but feel shattered.

 

But Byun Baekhyun had always been optimistic and dedicated so he took it as a compliment in the end. He crosses his legs when he got closest to the desk to get the neon blue sticky note posted on the side of his cubicle wall. He reads the note for an extended amount of time as if it were a poem written on it.

 

2 special broadsheets (Nationalistic issue)

Political lampoon

 

Those were the texts he wrote, scribbled in red ink from his permanent marker. Then he puts it back.

 

‘How would that be nationalistic if it comes with lampoon?’ He thinks, running his fingers through his hair then he looks at his piles of sketches, then to his trashcan halfway full of crumpled papers afterwards. He still has to do his regular job of course. He’s been through a long day he thinks. Then all of a sudden, an image of Chanyeol comes out and he can’t help but wonder if he’s still at the station either working or waiting, or if he’s already in the house. Baekhyun also remembers the call the made a while ago when he told him that if he doesn’t appear at 9:00, Chanyeol could leave. It has become a thing or so, wherein Baekhyun would wait for him or vice versa as long as who comes first but usually, it’s the latter who’d normally wait for 7-10 more minutes because the other always adds time to his work.

 

He decides to still go to the train stop to check if the other is still there and that would infer that he’s somehow assuming and he admits it. It’s traffic, maybe because fall is about to come to an end that people starts stuffing so there are many of them.

 

It took half an hour to reach the station when he normally would be there at ten. It was exactly 9:42 the time he got there. He looked for a clock as soon as he comes and now, he’s sure that the other is already home but he can’t go back now, so he just looks for a kiosk instead, at least of food or water because he is so damn hungry, coffee won’t ever be enough for him, and he’s not surprised that almost all of them are already closed. There are some closing—still open—but obviously won’t take orders anymore. There are lesser people too and Baekhyun said a while ago that he’s already certain that the other made it to home but he still looks.

 

Scans at the back. Scans at the front, then side to side, until his eyes found none and the only thing that made him interested was waiting chairs. After realizing he’s standing for no reason, he immediately rushes there despite his tired feet from walking? Or sitting? He mentally shrugs because all he knows is he needs it. He’s too lazy to count but he can say there are less than ten people around. He sprawls. Then he removes his backpack and lay down, closing his eyes. A few minutes later, he’s shocked to see a tall figure approaching. He can guarantee it is Chanyeol, he is recognizable, holding 2 hotdogs on sticks on both hands. Baekhyun’s eyes widen as he sits up straight. The other goes nearer and nearer and nearer until he’s already facing him.

 

“Hi.” He greets with a cheeky smile. He gives one stick to Baekhyun, which he grabs faster than the speed of light. He prefers it with mustard or catsup or mayonnaise and none of those are important right now.

 

The smaller starts eating. “Got you that. I hope you haven’t eaten yet.” Chanyeol states. Baekhyun stops eating and looks up at him with a frown.

 

"What the hell?”

 

“Yeah. God, you look—“

 

“Wasted. Thanks.” He says in an obvious sarcastic tone, but it just made Chanyeol laugh. There was a moment of silence for a couple of seconds? No minutes. For a couple of minutes, Chanyeol watches Baekhyun feeding on a hotdog like a madman. Suddenly, a light bulb popped out of his head and that he grabs the smaller’s wrist with a simper—almost a laugh as the other struggles to get his bag and at the same time, eat. He then finishes the hotdog after 2 last bites. Now he’s got strength to stop the other one.

 

“Chanyeol slow down! Where are you taking me?” He shouts.

 

The other seems to put his trust in him as he unwraps his large hands over Baekhyun’s wrist. He puts those hands onto his knees as he crouches and the smaller could swear he is chuckling. Baekhyun then turns to red after realizing that maybe it’s him that caused Chanyeol laugh and he suddenly felt embarrassed. ‘Did I shout too loud?’ from then on, he begins to look around. It was a relief when he sees no one is looking at him—at least right now.

 

Chanyeol finally stands up straight. “There’s an affordable restaurant at the next stop. I thought we could ride the train.”

 

He comes back to his senses then realizes they are in front of a ticket machine. Chanyeol buys two.

 

 

 

Baekhyun called his grandfather a while ago as soon as he found a telephone booth. It’s not really a surprise that his grandfather isn’t that much worried for he’s already used to him returning home late either it is because he’s drinking or adding time or for some reasons and he truly, kindly, and considerately trusts him with those but Baekhyun still wants to tell. He already told him earlier at the office that he’d be home later than usual so he should not wait for him to dinner.

Now, he and Chanyeol are eating in a fine-dine restaurant. No wonder Chanyeol looked so eager to show the restaurant to him because it is such a nice restaurant located in the middle of nice location.

 

“Why were you still there?” Baekhyun asks opening another topic after he swallowed his food.

 

“I waited for you.” he replies

 

“What if I didn’t come?”

 

Chanyeol looks at him. “I know you’ll do.” He sounded smug. Baekhyun couldn’t disagree with that. But he also could not disagree to what he said. But how did he know that. In which Baekhyun preferred to not ask.

 

He just shrugged instead. Out of realization, his eyes widen so he asks Chanyeol.

 

“You.” Chanyeol looks intently. “How did you know this place? I’ve never been here.”

 

Chanyeol nods. He won’t lie because it’s not like he’s done something awful. He admitted that he once went on the same place when his co-worker left his wallet so he went there, contacted him and they meet. To repay his kindness, which Chanyeol also says, he offered him treat. There he knew about the restaurant. The smaller compliments him.

 

They talked, they walked, and most of all, they ate, for both of them are so hungry and they felt like it’s the most important thing. They went out of the restaurant after half an hour 10 minutes after they finished eating. It was a good meal. Baekhyun thanked Chanyeol for knowing such thing. They now stroll along the road. The smaller is surprised to see that there are less to no cars, less people on the streets making them feel as if there’s only the two of them even if it’s just one train away. It felt different. There, it was quiet. Chanyeol assumes it is peace, Baekhyun too.

 

They talked and most of it would be jokes initiated by Baekhyun and the other just couldn’t refrain from cackling so hard. Or maybe it really weren’t jokes at all and that Chanyeol just laughs at whatever he says, and if that’s the case, probably he also won’t know why. 

 

Until things become serious and they started talking about Baekhyun’s childhood when he lost his parents in a car accident when he was 12 and that he had to live with his grandparents from then on until his grandmother died when he was 18. He tells him how he cried every night not just because he’s mourning over her death but it’s also because he’s too hurt seeing his grandfather almost dying from pain. What hurt him the most is that his grandfather tries hard to be strong, like he’s just too good in concealing Baekhyun won’t notice if he won’t pay attention. But the thing is he did, he really did. He cared so much it also affected him. He loves his grandparents so much and he admired how they shared their love. They were never selfish and had never harmed anyone. Sometimes, he would see them with arms wrapped around each other while sleeping and it would stay inside his head for a week, but the thing is he sees them like that, from the on it never left his head until he realized it’d be for lifetime.

 

Chanyeol hears him wish for a love like theirs in his last sentence.

 

“I’m sure you’ll find one.” Baekhyun stops and turns to him, then he smiles. Chanyeol too.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chnayeol just doesn’t seem to be bothered by his own mystery anymore. It’s been seven months and he wouldn’t hide that he’s having a great time, a great life actually. Baekhyun’s grandfather started treating him as his own after a month. Sometimes they would play table tennis, in which Chanyeol , but he still liked it on the contrary, or they will play soccer at the backyard with an imaginary net in which at last, he excels. Baekhyun saw how the two of them liked playing so he bought real soccer net and had it installed at their backyard. He knows how his grandfather liked sports and he’s glad Chanyeol is able to do it with him.

 

His relationship with him is really progressive. It just escalated so fast, like a lightning. He has no idea how but to him, having Chanyeol in their home, having Chanyeol as his best friend, are the ones that truly matter. 

 

And just as their relationship becomes better, the pain that Baekhyun feels in his head becomes so much worse he couldn’t work for 3 days and because of that he was admitted to a hospital, but Baekhyun didn’t want it there so he pretended that everything is already fine so he was discharged the day after. He comes back to his work after 2 days of bed rest at home.

 

The doctor told him it’s just a headache or a migraine, because maybe Baekhyun works too hard, which he didn’t deny. After complying, the doctor seemed to be confident afterwards he started prescribing medicines but Baekhyun didn’t buy. He didn’t hear what he wanted to hear. He doesn’t wish for it to be something severe but it just felt like it wasn’t accurate.

 

 

 

“He’s a keeper isn’t he?” Even from a peripheral view, he sees her with a silly smile. Standing there while holding a tumbler as she rotates the swivel chair beside him.

 

He couldn’t hear the sound of the keyboard from his typing anymore. He could only hear Yura talking—or teasing. Or maybe it’s his heart if he were to admit. Then Baekhyun mentally crosses his fingers. He hopes it’s not him she’s talking about.

 

Baekhyun speaks. “Who?” He stops typing and when she saw he faced her. She comes near the window, sips on his tumbler. “Him.” She utters.

 

He tried to act calm while walking. But when he saw Chanyeol, he doesn’t know why he ran.

 

Chanyeol is on the other side of the street, standing tall on a pavement. Wearing his new black jacket Baekhyun bought him with 2 straps of his backpack over his shoulders. He smiles as soon as he sees Baekhyun, waving at him, and smiling as well. 

 

“You’re early!” He says when he crossed the street as he gives the other's shoulder a slight punch.

 

“I know. I also know you still have 1 hour, so don’t worry as if you didn’t make me wait for 10 hours.” Baekhyun pinches his forearms making the other remove both of his hands from the pocket. Left one from pain and right one to defend himself from him. Even if he’s wearing jacket, it still hurts.

 

“I’m,” He laughs. “Sorry” He was able to remove Baekhyun’s hands from him and after than, Baekhyun just left. Not saying a word. After 15 minutes, he came back with his things and Chanyeol is still standing at the same pavement.

 

“You’re early.”

 

“I know, and I am forty-five minutes advance.” Baekhyun says proudly then he just walks past beside him, knowing Chanyeol will follow. 

 

He didn't have the chance to answer Yura's question a while ago but if ever he'd have to...

 

Yes. Yes he is. 

 

 

 

 

Baekhyun finished all of his work before time. He ditched some but it’s too little he couldn’t care less. It felt as if he’s so eager to see him even if he sees him everyday. Although he haven’t seen him this morning since he went to work earlier but it doesn’t make any difference. They still live under the same roof, in the same room. The time they got home, their grandfather—as he already considered him as one of his own—didn’t react so shocked. He was watching television and just greeted them as soon as they steps in. There were so many times like this, wherein they would return earlier until their grandfather stopped asking. He knew there’s something in between them. Although both of them wouldn’t admit, he knows they are special to each other. It doesn’t have to be romantic or platonic to say they are in love.  All he knows is they share the genuine kind of it. He looks at them fondly while eating but not as fondly as how Baekhyun looks at Chanyeol when he choked, not as fondly as how Chanyeol looks at Baekhyun while stealing the last piece of meat, not as fondly as how they look into each other’s eyes even if they are just talking as if it were made from sparks that lasts a lifetime.

 

He hopes Chanyeol stays, no matter what happens.

 

Before going to sleep, Chanyeol always sits and stays on his favorite couch on Baekhyun’s area to check him. He tries his hard to last longer for at least an hour or two just to make sure the other sleeps safe and sound. There will be times when the other would wake up and cry from pain. Sometimes, he’ll be able to talk but mostly, he’d faint. Chanyeol couldn’t help but wonder how painful it really is.

 

“Stop playing games, it’ll hurt you.” Chnayeol commands.

 

“I swear this would be the last.” Baekhyun obviously disobeys. Albeit he knows the other really meant what he said, Chanyeol still stands up and grabs his phone from him. He was playing Stack.

 

“Goddamn it Chanyeol! That’s almost 100! I thought you were my friend.” He says in disappointment doing hand gestures to emphasize.

 

Chanyeol stands. “I am.” Then he puts the phone inside the pocket of his pajamas. “That’s why I want you to rest because tomorrow, is going to be a long day.”

 

“Do I have to wake up early?”

 

“Early, but a little bit later.” The smaller still hangs on as if waiting for the other to say more. Chanyeol noticed it so he told him the exact words ‘Now go, rest.’ And with that, Baekhyun covered himself in sheets. Back facing Chanyeol as he smiles.

 

 

The next day, Baekhyun is so used to waking up early he woke up at the usual time he does. The same goes with Chanyeol who even prepared the breakfast. The original residents knew Chanyeol is really a good cook, and they would be amused if he does. It’ll be either Baekhyun or his grandfather who will stay at the counter just to look at him cooking and sometimes, help. They left the house at 8:10.  Chanyeol said, every Saturdays, there are lesser people during the hour. Baekhyun bothered to ask questions but the other will just pull off a smile.

 

"Where are you taking me again?” It felt like a déja vu.  Him asking Chanyeol again as soon as they are in front of the ticket machine hearing him answer the same.

 

“Okay so who’s this person you helped again?”

 

“I didn’t. I went there for leisure.” 

 

“You went there without me?” Baekhyun doesn’t know where he’s coming from and he swears he could feel blood rushing through his face. Chanyeol laughs at him and that just made him more embarrassed. He cringes.

 

“Aww, Baekhyun wants to be with me always.” He coos, as if he’s talking to a baby. He even scratches the other’s chin, which the smaller immediately beats away.

 

“Stop it! God, you’re annoying.”

 

“Well don’t worry cause I came there with your granddad and it was so fun Baekhyun, if you only knew.” Chanyeol is intentionally doing this and it annoys him. He looks so happy annoying him.

 

“Why would I care? And you really came there with my grandfather? Why did you come there?”

 

Chnayeol stopped walking. “Byun Baekhyun, you ask too much. Just tell me if you like me because who knows I might like you too—AWW!”

 

“Don’t make me make you leave the house because I can do that. Just tell me.” Then he kicks him again.

 

 

 

The train ride was a bit tiring not because it’s long but because there are so many people that they stood throughout the whole ride, not what they expected, though Chanyeol should’ve known it would happen. It wasn’t surprising when almost all of them went to the same place they went—they carnival. But first, him and Baekhyun went off to a newly opened restaurant a little bit farther from the station unlike from where they first went. According to him, there are free treats as long as you make a purchase. The smaller didn’t comply. Not that he’s hungry but it wasn’t useless either, besides they were using Chanyeol’s money.

 

When they reached the carnival, no wonder there were so many people because it’s the carnival’s first anniversary and six new rides had just opened, according to a staff, the two are daredevil and the remaining four are children rides.

 

 

“I told you! Tsk!” Baekhyun scolds while watching his best friend on the verge of vomiting. They were playing a game, so they sat on a bench first and it was a dare since neither one of them wants it, that who ever loses at Stack will ride the roller coaster. Chanyeol thought that the ride was still far from them so he decided to eat at least the free treats but he ended up eating all the snacks he bought for himself. Then they played in which Baekhyun scored 144 while Chanyeol got 108.

 

 

Fortunately, Chanyeol does not vomit then the smaller offers him water. It’s the last ride they plan to go onto after riding 19 out of 27 rides. Some rides are just really not meant for them but to sum up, it was a really good experience. It is already afternoon though the sun is still far from setting but none of them still wants to go home so they decide to go inside shops. Chanyeol sees a sailboat. Big for a toy but it’s actually the miniature replica of the carnival’s aquarium. He likes it but the thing is his money isn’t enough and he guarantees it even without looking at his wallet. Chanyeol plans to bring him at the restaurant where he and Baekhyun’s grandfather ate. It’s one of the reasons why Chnayeol likes it there because there are so many affordable restaurants.

 

“You like it.” The other states, not asks.

 

“Yeah.”

 

“Buy it.” Baekhyun points his finger to the sailboat. Chanyeol is really torn and tempted. He wants but he has priorities to eat with one of the most special—if he’s still not the most—person to him at a restaurant he likes. There was a pause until it became a silence and both of them are already staring at the toy. Baekhyun doesn’t question a thing and he could see how the other adores it. So he speaks. “I’ll pay.”

 

Chanyeol isn’t sure if he heard right. “What?”

 

“Get it. I’ll pay.” He glances up at him. “Go on and get it before I change my mind.” He rolls his eyes.

 

 

Chanyeol didn’t ask. He knows the other won’t acknowledge it. He’s really glad he’ll have it and he plans to put it somewhere at the loft, though he’s a bit embarrassed that he’s turning red. He might’ve looked so pathetic that Baekhyun decided to buy it for him and he sounds so forced. But in the end, he goes near to the sailboat until he’s already carrying it.

 

He walks past through him without sparing a glance, perhaps because he’s still skittish or for some other reasons. He just continued walking towards the counter.

 

The smaller felt like laughing.