est modus in rebus

Evanescere
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

there is a middle ground in everything

Wheein heard the footsteps before the knock on the door of her room.

“May I come in?” it’s a girl’s voice, low and dignified and sounds like home to Wheein’s ears.

“Yes, come in!” she calls back immediately, and her best friend Sowon saunters in as the door opens.

“How are you feeling?” Sowon asks with a bright smile, “I brought you cookies.”

Wheein watches closely as Sowon gently puts the cellophane bag of treats on her nightstand. She sits down on the edge of the bed, kicking off her ballet shoes and crossing her long slender legs in the process. Somehow her actions look much more graceful than usual… That is, suspiciously so.

Wheein turns around in her revolving seat. “I know it’s you, Jeonghan. Drop it.”

She hears a shuffle and a scoff, and when she’s made a full circle sitting down, on her bed perches a guy with jet black bob cut instead of her best friend.

“How did you know it was me?” Jeonghan asks, eyes narrowing.

“Why would the notorious mind reader Kim Sowon knock on doors?” Wheein laughs, “And she never brings some basic choco chip cookies to cheer me up. Only spicy ginger snacks work for me, in case you’re not aware.”

“Ugh, you’re right. I forgot,” Jeonghan lets out a huff and lies down on Wheein’s bed.

Wheein looks at him with disbelieving eyes. “Dude, get out before anyone sees you in the girls’ dorm.” She aims a pencil at his head, and Jeonghan dodges it.

“Heard you finally rebelled against your sister yesterday,” Jeonghan comments, not minding any of Wheein’s words or actions.

“I didn’t rebel, per se,” Wheein frowns, “Who told you that?”

“Running into the rain when she wanted to take you back is not rebelling?” Jeonghan holds up an index finger, “Why do you hate the academy so much?”

“I don’t hate it,” Wheein protested weakly, “There was just a day left of summer vacation and I didn’t want to spend it here..”

“It’s not like you can do anything at home too,” Jeonghan motions to the window on the side of the room, from where they could see the mad thunderstorm that still hasn’t stopped since the day before.

Wheein sighs, not wanting to admit that he has a point but Jeonghan does has a point. Sometimes she hates him for always pointing out the obvious.

“Anyway, how’s Yongsun doing?” Jeonghan tries to make it sound casual, but Wheein picks up the hopefulness in his voice.

“She’s doing fine, she’s been bugging to adopt a puppy from the shelter near our—” Wheein pauses “We... really should stop talking about her. My sister has a fiancé now, you know that, Jeonghan.”

“I know, I know. And her fiancé is our homeroom teacher,” now Wheein hears the disappointment, “I’m totally over her.”

“Yeah right,” Wheein rolls her eyes. “You should go now.”

“Why? I just got here!” Jeonghan’s high-pitched whine fills the room, causing Wheein’s head to thump.

“I’m tired, so I want to sleep,” Wheein replies matter-of-factly, “Aren’t you worried of your friend who just fainted last night?”

Jeonghan props himself on one arm and smirks. “Well then, sleep here beside me. I can sing you a lullaby.”

Wheein holds up her right hand. “Get the out,” she said in a sing-song voice, her lips curl into a sweet smile and her palm starts to glow, “before i burn those oh-so-gorgeous raven locks of yours.”

Jeonghan snickers. “So feisty,” he remarks. But Jeonghan backs up, still. Clearly he’s sane enough not to pick a real fight with one of the academy’s top fighters.

“You’re not kicking me out, by the way,” Jeonghan shimmies, his clothes changing, his body curving, and his hair growing longer, turning to the color of walnuts, “I’m going because I have to check on my dearest Hyojung.”

“Whatever,” Wheein scoffs, watching Jeonghan, in the form of Sowon, waves his hand and disappears behind the door. “Thanks for the cookies!” she shouts before he goes completely out of earshot.

With peace and quiet dawning back in her dorm room, Wheein faces her desk again and takes in deep breaths, as she was doing before Jeonghan ruined her personal time. 

Her teachers and mentors in the academy always encourage her to meditate; find her inner peace, learn some self control. Wheein was never a fan of sitting down quietly (or doing anything without making any sound in general), but lately she finds that meditation is the only way she can survive staying out of the rain without losing her mind indoors. Doing school work is a drag, and talking to friends will just end up with them causing mischief thanks to Wheein.

The bag of cookies on her nightstand, however, is not helping her touch her inner self. After a few deep breaths, Wheein gives up to the temptation and grabs the small blue packet. Eating is another way to keep my sanity in tact anyway, she reasons.

Wheein climbs up to her bed and gathers her blankets, making herself comfortable before she starts munching on the sweet treats. She makes a mental note to complain about the sweetness to Jeonghan. She also thinks of Sowon and Hyojung, and how she should apologize for not saying hi to them before school starts again tomorrow.

Her mind takes a leap and Wheein finds herself counting the amount of friends she has in this academy; her close friends (Sowon, of course, Hyojung, and sometimes Jeonghan), casual classmates, kids who look at her with ad

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter