gutta cavat lapidem

Evanescere
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

a water drop hollows a stone

There’s something about the rain that always unsettles Wheein. She’s not sure if it’s just the pitter patter on the roof that sounds like bad news banging on her door. It could also be the scent of wet soil that smells like an old, forbidden memory. Or maybe it’s the dampness in general, which bedews Wheein’s skin and nullifies her ability.

Whatever it is, it makes Wheein despise rainy days. She’d cancel plans no matter how urgent every time it rained, and opted on staying indoors where it was dry and toasty.

Warmth is Wheein’s best friend. Warm baths, warm milk, warm hugs. Wheein loves everything warm.

A breeze slips in between the windowsill, sending Wheein’s bones to shivers. She gathers the pillows and blankets around her, trying to get as comfortable as possible. To no avail. The rain outside is too strong, and even though she’s actually warm enough, just the sound of raindrops pinging on the window makes Wheein feel cold.

It’s so cold. Too cold.

Closing her eyes, Wheein raises her palms to her cheeks. She wills herself to concentrate, and before long, she sees a glow from behind her eyelids. She opens her eyes and finds her hands glowing a soft orange, casting dancing shadows on the walls of the dark attic.

It’s so warm. So nice.

I love everything warm.

“Wheein?” 

The glow dies right away; Wheein quickly hides her palms under layers and layers of blankets. She waits for the owner of the voice to find her, but she doesn’t give the person any clue. She stays quiet, eyes stuck to the opening on the floor, the entrance to the attic. Sure enough, a head pops out of the opening, and Wheein makes out the figure of a long-haired woman entering the room. It’s her older sister.

“Are you done packing?” her sister speaks softly as she edges closer to where Wheein is sitting.

“Yes,” Wheein replies.

“Okay then, we should go now before it gets dark. I know you hate the rain, Wheein, but it’s pretty late and I don’t think the rain’s letting up any moment..” she  pauses mid sentence, and Wheein can see her head tilted to the side. Wheein dreads that gesture, as she knows really well what’s coming next.

“Did you u

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter