Final

Just ask me

 

 

“Come along for a drink?” his coworker had asked.

It was a tiring day, hell it was a tiring week. Deadline after deadline, irritated costumers came and went constantly, new partners to meet. It was chaotic to put it simple. So he shrugged. A drink to calm his nerves sounded like a good idea, plus how long had it been since he last went out?

He followed Baekhyun to a nearby bar, it was small and relatively quiet, at least as quiet as a bar could be. It seemed like it was a popular destination for people who just got off from their works. The atmosphere was good and he found himself enjoying his time there. Thus, when Baekhyun hurriedly excused himself to run home because his wife had called, Minseok decided that he would stay for another drink.

“Hey buddy” he heard someone say as he sat next to him. “Hey,” the bartender replied, serving the new customer his drink. He didn’t mind someone sitting next to him. No, especially since a look around the small bar told him that there was no other empty seat either way. He sighed loudly as he finished his own drink, ordering a new one and thinking about that particularly difficult customer.

“Difficult day?” the man next to him asked.

“Kind of. Yeah.” Minseok said with a chuckle not bothering to face the other.

“Well if it makes you feel better you are not the only one.” The other replied taking a sip from his drink.

Minseok turned to look at him. Attractive. Attractive, was the first word that came to his mind after looking at the other. Slim figure, hair styled upwards, a black suit. He smiled. “I guess it does.” He said. The other man smiled back at him. ‘Beautiful’ Minseok thought looking at his smiling face. “Minseok, by the way,” he said extending his hand.

“Luhan. Nice to meet you, Minseok.” The man smiled some more and Minseok felt enchanted.

They kept talking and talking for hours, drink after drink not getting bored of each other or uncomfortable despite the fact that they had just met but Minseok found himself smiling more and more as the time passed.

Minseok doesn’t remember how, or at what point, but somehow late into the night he found himself kissing that same guy – Luhan – passionately outside his apartment door. It was nearing the point that either he opens the door and invites the other in or pulls off, says goodbye, and maybe let’s meet another time. But Minseok with his demanding work and not so enthusiastic life hadn’t gotten laid in a while. The man in front of him was very, very attractive, funny, with a beautiful smile, a great kisser and had his leg between Minseok’s own rubbing against his already hardening . So, maybe maybe against his better judgement, he unlocked the door leading Luhan into his apartment and straight to the bedroom.

They both fell together on the mattress not bothering to break their kiss. Luhan was just an amazing kisser. Minseok found himself whining when they finally broke it to take a breath, hurriedly pulling him for another kiss right after.


When he woke up, Minseok barely remembered anything from the night before apart from Luhan taking him from behind against the wall, soft lips running up and down his body, marking him, claiming him and making him feel the best way he had felt in a while.

Sadly but not unexpectedly, the mattress next to him was empty. He felt disappointment and regret that he hadn’t bothered asking the man’s number beforehand. All this was soon forgotten though, when he finally checked his clock, signaling to him that he was already an hour late for work. He stumbled out of his bed and practically ran to the office beginning another tiring day.




Two and a half months later Minseok had to call his boss to ask for a day off as he woke up feeling sick to his stomach and flushing all of his dinner down the toilet. He mindlessly thought if he had eaten something to cause this but he had spent his weekend at home and he was always thorough with the products he bought or cooked. Maybe he had just gotten a stomach virus and needed some rest.

He stayed at home for two days basically feeling sick to his stomach only in the morning and light headed sometimes during the day. A week later though, as the symptoms didn’t leave, he decided that he should go and check up with his doctor after he got off from work.

“Is everything ok?” he asked worried as the doctor came back in the room.

“Yes!” Joonmyeon said with a smile.

“Why are you so happy?” Minseok asked alarmed.

“Because I have to congratulate you. Congratulations Minseok you are pregnant!” he clapped his hands. “Minseok are you ok?” he asked quickly seeing Minseok’s shocked face.

“I am what?” he managed to whisper.

“Pregnant! Here see, tests confirm it. We can do an ultrasound to see how far along you are in the pregnancy but yes you are. I thought you would be happy. So who is the father, you hadn’t told me you dated.”

Joonmyeon kept bubbling around but Minseok was already lost into his thoughts. He was pregnant and he knew exactly who the father was and how long he hadn’t see him. Yes now that he thinks of it, it was indeed against his better judgement unlocking that door those months ago and allowing Luhan to wreck him. He barely waved at his friend as he left the hospital to go back to his apartment.

But suddenly even his apartment seemed too small and he didn’t know what to do. Most importantly he didn’t know where Luhan was. He was pregnant, alone, with a job that demanded his absolute attention. He had never thought of having a family, he is not ready for something like at that and he is definitely starting to get freaked out. Unconsciously he placed his hand over his belly. Abortion would be the most reasonable thing to do yet thinking that there was a life growing up inside him made him question all of his worries. He stayed there, hugging himself, thinking and thinking.

Fortunately, fate had it like that, that one and half a weeks after, when Minseok was out for coffee at his favorite café a familiar voice greeted him.

“Minseok? Minseok is that you?”

He turned to look at the man that was speaking to him.

“Thank god I finally meet you! I have been trying to find you ever since...you know. How have you been?”

Minseok blinked a few times staring back at the man he had been looking for himself all those weeks. “Hello Luhan, nice seeing you again. Please have a seat.”

Luhan sat opposite to him with a smile. “I am really happy seeing you Minseok. I have really been wanting to meet you. First of all, I want to apologize for leaving like that back then, and I know it’s not an excuse but when I woke up I was already late for work. I just got dressed and ran I am so sorry I didn’t say anything. I didn’t even leave a note. I am such a jerk I –“ he felt a hand on his arm.

“Luhan,” Minseok said gently. “Don’t worry. I will admit I was kind of disappointed when I woke up and you weren’t there but then I realized how late I was for work and I understand you. Don’t worry I don’t blame you.” He smiled.

“I started rambling again, didn’t I?” Luhan asked sheepishly, rubbing the back of his neck, a habit Minseok had picked up when he met him last time. “I just want you to know that I really enjoyed spending time with you and I really did go to that bar again but Sehun said that this was the first time you had gone there and I didn’t know how to find you. I am still sorry.”

His cheeks were red and he was nursing his lower lip, another habit that Minseok had picked up those few hours that they had spent together. Luhan really was an open book. He believed him, he really did.

“It’s okay, Luhan, you don’t have to apologize. I believe you and I both enjoyed your company last time.” He smiled again, a little embarrassed with himself but he was pleased to see Luhan smiling back, that enchanting smile of his.

Luhan rubbed his neck once more. “So how have you been? Is work still bothering you? That client you told me about?”

“Work is better thanks for asking and that client finally agreed with the design so yeah I finally feel more relaxed. How about you?”

“Me too yeah. That case that was bothering me is finally closed so I am more relaxed too. Until the next one of course”. Luhan smiled again.

“Until the next one,” Minseok repeated staring out of the window.

“Is something bothering you again?” Luhan asked worried. “You seem like there is something going on…Were you waiting for someone? I am sorry I can leave…” he trailed of getting up from his chair.

“No no no.” Minseok held him again from the arm making him sit back down. “No I wasn’t waiting for anyone.”

“Then…is there something troubling you? You can tell me if you want. I promise not to kiss you this time.” He tried to crack a joke and Minseok did laugh, albeit bittersweetly.

“Well, I guess I should tell you, now that I’ve found you.” he stared Luhan in the eyes.

“Are you ok?” Luhan seemed worried, reaching forward to hold Minseok’s hand.

Minseok took a deep breath still looking at Luhan’s eyes, he figured there was no better way to say this. “I am pregnant.” He guessed that must have been his face when he heard about the news too, seeing how taken aback Luhan seemed. His eyes were wide and his mouth was wide open. He looked so pale suddenly. He blinked a few times, opening and closing his mouth, not being able to make an actual noise.

“Yeah I was like that for a while too,” Minseok said leaning back to his chair.

“But, how? I mean I know how, obviously. Amazing how by the way. But, are you sure?” Luhan asked eyes still wide open.

“According to my doctor yeah, and before you ask I am sure it’s yours because as embarrassing at it is I hadn’t had with anyone apart from you in a while and I am not into one night stands either,” Minseok said feeling his cheeks heating up from embarrassment.

“I believe you. I just, didn’t expect it. It is kind of sudden,” Luhan said leaning back to his chair as well. He run a hand through his hair once, twice before he spoke again. “What are you going to do?”

“Well, to be very honest I just found out and I am still trying to realize it. I didn’t even get the ultrasound the doctor offered I just ran away. But you don’t have to feel obligated to anything Luhan. It was my fault. I am not going to ask you, demand anything from you. You don’t have to worry about this,” Minseok replied studying the other. It was evident that he was as shocked and lost as Minseok was with the news.

“No, I...Well I won’t lie that I am really shocked by the news but...well it kind of involves me too, if anything it’s mostly my fault,” he smiled sheepishly. “I would like to know what you will decide to do with this,” he offered.

“Well, if that’s what you really want I won’t shut you down of course and I do understand that this was way too sudden, especially since we haven’t met after...that night. You can have some time to think about it if you want and we can talk about it again maybe?” Minseok asked cautiously.

“Yeah that would be good”, Luhan nodded. “When are you going to the doctor again?”

“I have the ultrasound examination planned for next week,” Minseok replied drinking the rest of his coffee. It amazed him how casually he was talking about a matter like that.

Luhan nodded once again. “Okay. Okay.” he said and exhaled loudly.

They both looked at each other and sighed. They didn’t say much after that, they left after exchanging numbers, both having a lot on their minds.



Two days later as Minseok was cooking dinner he heard his phone ringing.He found a message when he picked it up.

From : Luhan
Hey, how do you feel?

Minseok laughed at the way he asked him. It wasn’t like he was sick.

To : Luhan
I am good. I am cooking dinner. You?

From : Luhan
Anything tasty? Tired, long day at work.

It amazed Minseok how conversation flowed naturally between them even if they actually barely knew each other and were caught up in an admittedly tricky situation. They were able to hold a conversation for hours like they knew each other for years. They talked till Minseok fell asleep. He woke up in the morning to find Luhan’s goodnight message.




The day before his doctor appointment he received another message from Luhan asking him where and when was the appointment and if he had time for coffee later. Minseok replied and gladly took him up on the offer.

“Here,” Joonmyeon said. “This is your baby,” he smiled showing them something that looked like a pea. “I will give you some alone time,” he added leaving the room.

“Thank you Mr. Kim,” Luhan said, bowing respectively. “Wow I thought it would be bigger,” he laughed turning back to Minseok. Upon seeing the other having a perplexed look he went closer to him. “Are you ok?” he asked.

Minseok nodded. “Are you sure? Should I call Mr. Kim back?”

“No.” Minseok shook his head, tears building in the corners of his eyes.

“Then what is it? Minseok please don’t cry.” Luhan sounded panicked.

“Luhan I can’t see it! I can’t see my own baby,” Minseok whined tears running freely now.

“Oh,” Luhan said as he hugged him. He let a small laugh escape his mouth and Minseok punched his arm. “I am sorry, I am sorry,” he said. “Here, do you see that small circle?” Minseok nodded. “This is it.” Luhan smiled sweetly holding his hand. “This is our baby.”

Minseok turned to look at him, not sure what Luhan implied with it. After seeing the child inside him, even when he wasn’t really seeing it, Minseok had decided that he would keep the child but he still didn’t know what Luhan was thinking about this. The other only hugged him more, kissing his forehead.

Apparently, after the conversation they had over coffee, Luhan was sharing the same desire with Minseok to keep the child, yet they would have to find out the details of how this was going to happen. Yes they had shared a very heated night, yes they enjoyed each other’s company, yes they had many things in common but still they didn’t know a lot about each other and they both had a lot of work and well it was still very complicated.

Nevertheless Minseok fell asleep and woke up to a “goodnight” and “good morning” message from Luhan every single day after that. The other always accompanied him to his doctor’s appointments and when Minseok couldn’t drive anymore because of his big belly Luhan was always there to give him a ride. They grew really close, spending a lot of time together.

They went out for coffee, to the cinema, late night dinners. “Little dates” as Baekhyun had named them. If Minseok woke up in the middle of the night craving for a weird snack Luhan would always be by his door in an hour tops with a bag full of it. They went together for baby shopping, buying the baby’s first clothes, a crib and everything. They were practically a couple as Baekhyun told Minseok again and again but they never put a label on it. And Minseok couldn’t really say that they were, because despite him being in his final month of the pregnancy, with Luhan staying at his house, they didn’t kiss or touch each other more than needed and they never talked about it.

There were of course exceptions, like that time Minseok was sick and Luhan spent the whole week sleeping on Minseok’s couch. They had exchanged a few kisses. If Minseok was honest with himself they were merely pecks like those at New Year’s and their birthdays. And yes some other times they had stayed watching tv late at night, cuddling in Minseok’s couch. It was true that after 6 months Minseok was sure that he was in love with Luhan yet he was scared of saying anything and he just felt confused. Because Minseok still remembered their conversation after the first ultrasound, which they had both said that they didn’t want a family, or things like dating (basically because of their works) and despite the fact that this had really changed for him he couldn’t bring himself to ask Luhan.




“You are an idiot,” Baekhyun offered one day when he dropped by to visit Minseok after work.

“Thanks I guess but why this time?” Minseok asked offering the other a beverage.

“Have you seen how he looks at you? I don’t know him well myself and I haven’t met him a lot of times but I can see that he really cares about you and you have spent a lot of time together. As a told you before you are practically a couple and you are going to have a child in a week tops. When are you going to talk to him?” Baekhyun looked at him seriously for once.

“I don’t know. This is already too much, he has a lot of work and I don’t want to burden him with more things- “

“You are an idiot,” Baekhyun repeated. “If he felt burdened would he stay with you all this time? Would he agree to keep this baby? Would he spend all this money buying the kid’s stuff? Would he wake up and drive around Seoul at five in the morning because you woke up and wanted shaved ice with raspberries? No he wouldn’t.”

As if on cue, Luhan stepped into the apartment, unlocking the door with the key Minseok had given him long ago. “Hello Baekhyun, nice to see you again,” he said giving Minseok a kiss on the forehead and bending down to whisper “Hello buddy” to the baby.

Baekhyun gave a pointed look to Minseok which the elder dismissed, turning his attention to Luhan. “The doctor said I need to go on Friday again for a last test to confirm the day,” he said excitedly.

Luhan smiled at the news. “Great,” he said his hand still on Minseok’s belly. “I am sorry I couldn’t come with you today, it was a chaos at the court.”

“Don’t worry, I took a taxi. I am ok.” Minseok smiled back putting his hand on top of Luhan’s. Baekhyun rolled his eyes.

“I am going to put the groceries in the fridge and make you something to eat. Will you stay for dinner, Baekhyun?”

“No, Luhan, thank you. I have to go to my family in a while but thanks for the offer.” He said and Luhan gave one last squeeze at Minseok’s hand before going to the kitchen.

Baekhyun just couldn’t understand why the two of them didn’t admit they wanted to be with each other.




A week later, July 19, Luhan received a call from Joonmyeon that Minseok was about to deliver the baby. When he reached the hospital he run straight to Joonmyeon’s office where a nurse informed him that Joonmyeon was already in the delivery room with Minseok. He cursed under his breath at the heavy traffic Seoul had on a daily basis.

Their son was born a little after nine in the evening and Minseok woke up from the anesthesia an hour later, feeling numb everywhere.

“Hey,” he heard a sweet voice next to him. He opened his eyes and gave a weak smile.

“Hey you,” he looked at Luhan, his eyes red, stains of tears along his cheeks. He raised a hand and touched those cheeks with the back of his hand. Luhan leaned at the touch closing his eyes. “Were you crying?”

Luhan tensed trying to compose himself. “I might have shed a tear or two,” he said as he rubbed the back of his neck, something that Minseok loved about the other. He chuckled and Luhan leaned closer pressing their lips together. The look in his eyes when he pulled back was as if Minseok was his world. He brushed a few stray hairs from Minseok’s eyes. “Want to see him?” he asked.

“Yeah,” Minseok said sitting a bit straighter.

Luhan went to the tiny crib that was by the bed and took the baby in his arms bringing it to Minseok. When Minseok finally held his – their – son in his hands he found himself on the verge of crying. Luhan was already there next to him, hugging him.

“He is so small and pink.” Minseok sobbed and Luhan laughed before kissing his temple.

“He is beautiful,” he offered wiping Minseok’s tears. “Just like you.”

Minseok wanted to say something at that but all he managed was another sob.

“Did you decide on the name?” Luhan asked.

Minseok shrugged. “I am not sure but I think I want to go with the one you picked.” He stared at the sleeping baby, how beautiful it was. How beautiful his and Luhan’s child was.

“Yixing it is then.” Luhan smiled. “Hmm, Minseok,” he cleared his throat. “Can I ask you something?”

“Mmmm,” Minseok hummed still caressing the baby.

“It’s been quite some time I have been meaning to ask you.” He started nursing his bottom lip. “We have been through a lot these past few months, we have a baby now and I do remember what we agreed to but…I like you a lot and I don’t know -”

He was so caught up trying to organize his emotions and thoughts he didn’t realize Minseok had turned to stare at him. He lifted his hand, grabbing Luhan’s shirt and pulling him closer until he was kissing him. He kissed him passionately, he had waited a long time for this kiss, the moment that he would be allowed to kiss the other like he belonged to him.

“I love you too,” he whispered when they broke the kiss. “I want you to live with us, to sleep and wake up next to you every day, to be able to hug you and kiss you whenever I want, to be able to love you.”

Luhan looked him in the eyes before leaning close again, their foreheads touching. “I want that too” and then he kissed him again, softer this time, tenderly.

That night Luhan fell asleep next to Minseok, tightly tucked under his arms, their baby next to them in his crib, after planning their future as a family.