Storm.

Pitter Patter

Ten's POV.

 

Pitter patter, we watched the soothing rain fall down from the cloudy sky together.

Pitter patter, you were always there for me.

We always had our last class together, even if you don’t know me, the person everyone wants to be. Seeing your relaxed ambience reminded me when I was all alone, with no one by my side. The only family I had was my grandma, who has supported me and my decisions all throughout my entire life. So I did approach you, but I got silence in return.

Nevertheless, I never gave up on trying getting your attention. I was always carrying your stuff for you, making jokes and laughing at them all by myself. I always promised you that I’d never give up, since I’m the Ten. I was always persistent on trying to be with you, but every time you ignore me, my hope falters.

I was about to give up, until I saw the corners of your lips lift a little after I told you one of the oldest jokes known to mankind. With that, I didn’t mind anyone in seeing us together anymore. All that matters is that you cracked a grin, an achievement I considered.

I left school with a smile plastered on my face. Your face was the only thing that was on my mind on the way home. Until an unknown number called me. My happy expression soon turned into shock. Frantically, I rode a taxi on the way to the hospital my grandmother was at. I couldn’t process what was happening; I just knew she needed to see me one last time before going.

Arriving at the hospital, I panted going to the emergency room. I saw her looking frail; she was still alive and healthy when I left the house early this morning. My spirits were crushed, thinking back to when I kissed her cheek.

I wasn’t able to control my tears. I screamed for them to save her, they shouldn’t do this to me. She’s the only one left in my family. I can’t lose her. No, no, no, no…

“No! Please save her! You can’t do this to me!” Kneeling down in front of the nurses who were trying to calm me down, I begged. Please…

I sat flat on the floor. All the energy I had has been drained from my body. I heard that familiar sound I always here when it happens, I knew it was too late.

You were the last thing on my mind, before I remembered the only person my grandma loved aside from me. Her. She left me abruptly. Learning this, grandma was heartbroken. She barely smiled from then on unless I dance and smile for her. I blamed her for this, but as time passed by I longed for her presence.

Her laughter rang in my ears, the beautiful melody I’ve always wanted to wake up to. I cherished her so much, but she was gone. I huffed, all the anger I had from earlier dissipated.  I felt numb, all the people around me were trying to restrain me from wrecking the place, but little did they know I had already given up.

I had already given up. Someone’s face appeared before me, I was able to recognize who it was, before the darkness enveloped me.

“Ten…”

She came back.

 


 

Everything was a blur when I woke up. Recalling what happened before I black out, reality crashed on me. My grandmother was gone, it really happened. Tears started pooling in my eyes, when someone spoke.

“You’re awake now.” That voice I used to find so endearing. I took a deep breath, before bailing out on her. I heard her run after me, but the farther I got away from her, the sounds of her footsteps diminished. I slowly starting to walk, contemplating on what do I do next now that I have lost my only family.

Closing my eyes, I saw a memory of you gazing outside the window on a rainy day. You looked gloomy, causing any other student to avoid you, but the feelings I had for you say otherwise. I felt the cold breeze pass by me as I open my eyes. The grey sky reminded me of you, my only hope.

 

I was in a daze attending my classes. Everyone seems to notice the dreary atmosphere I was giving off. I didn’t greet nor talk to anyone that day, but sometimes I would glance at your back whenever I saw you. It was our last class for the day; I was anticipating meeting you there unknowingly. Throughout the whole period, I couldn’t think straight. I just wanted to talk to you, and I needed you.

Finally, the bell rang. I was waiting for everyone to leave the room before talking to you. As the last student left, I called out your name. You looked up with your eyes twinkling with worry, asking me if I was okay. I couldn’t stop myself. I hugged you, and with it I let you feel how much I needed to be taken care of.

You reciprocated my hug, and I held in my sobs. Your heartbeat and stable breathing calmed my nerves down. I missed the comfort that you always gave me whenever you’re around.

Thinking I should let you know how I felt, I answered. “I’m not okay.”

 

“My grandma has passed away. I never got to show her how much my moves improved. I still remember when she told me I had so much charisma dancing, when I had no clue what dancing was when all I did was move freely.”  I told you while smiling, thinking back to the times she cheered for me while I was dancing.

“Is that why you pursued dancing? It’s because of her?” You caressed our intertwined hands with your thumb, and I was trying so hard not to blush because of the action. So I smiled at you, nodding.

Whenever we were together, we would always talk about the weather. As boring as it may sound to others, you don’t appear to think like it. We’d even hold each other’s hands that bring us coziness. That was one of the things I loved about you.

 

“The storm comes and goes. A rainbow would appear along with the sun and the clear sky afterwards. It’s amazing, don’t you think? She told me with a lopsided grin while letting the rain touch her hand.

 

The words I told you evoked the emotion that I was trying to hide. Pain.

“This may sound random, but do you bring an umbrella?” I remembered her once again. I didn’t respond and you took it as a no. You struggled to search for your umbrella in your bag, but I managed to stop you. You were exactly just like her when she knew I don’t bring an umbrella with me.

So I grinned, trying to make it look real for you. The smile I gave you seemed to make you concerned of me, so you asked me the same question as last time.  Hearing the rain outside subside, I took in your beauty that I was seeing.

 

“I will be.” And I was so sure of that, but the stinging sentiment I had locked away in my mind was bothering me.

 


 

I was praying for the gossip that was circulating around to be false. This can’t be happening. Arriving at school, I saw people crowding around a girl. In disbelief, I was muttering curses under my breath. Before I was able to escape, our eyes met each other.

“Ten!” She called out, with a big smile on her face.

From that point onwards, she kept on following me around, bugging me to talk to her for days. I ignored her the whole time, not wanting to deal with her. A part of me was distressed seeing her in this pitiful state. But I just can’t let her play with my feelings just like this.

Missing you, I was thinking of you the whole time. I figured you were staying away from me with the rumours flying around the campus on my relationship with her. I did get hurt thinking of it, but it’s the best for both of us. I would still gaze at you whenever you’re looking away or when you haven’t noticed me.

I was waiting for the last class of the day that we always had together. Your smile flashing in my mind, the times when we watched it rain outside with our hands clasped together. A serene smile was visible my face.

“It’s nice seeing you smile.” I stopped in my tracks before sighing. A blanket of silence took over us.

“I missed you.” It was so audible, I wouldn’t have heard it if it wasn’t so quiet. I missed you too. “No.” I shook the thought away.

“Would it hurt so much listening to what I’ll just say?” Her voice was starting to shake from the frustrations she had been concealing from him.

“Do you think I look like I care? You’ve hurt me so much more. You left me, you left my grandmother. And now you come back, asking me to listen to what you have to say? Don’t you think I’ve had enough? It already hurts enough as it is and you just-“

I faced her, and I stumbled on my words.

 

It’s alright; I’ll always be here for you. I love you that much as you can see.” She slightly scrunched her nose up before giving me a warm smile.

 

Tears were pooling in her eyes, and her hands were balled into fists. I was speechless. It was my first time seeing her like this. A wave of guilt punched me in the gut. I started regretting for letting my anger take over me.

“I-“ She looked right into my eyes, mirroring the disappointment I had with myself. “I guess you really hate me that much, huh? I’ll just, go on my way now.” Slowly backing away a good distance from me, she ran off before I could follow her.

 

“Ten, I’m scared.” You told me with shaky eyes. I’m scared too.

 

Pitter patter, you came into my life lighting it up.

Pitter patter, I am not the one coming to light up yours.

 

Dark clouds were starting to appear. I knew I had to find her. The door to my last class was just right there around the corner. I glanced at the door before I bolted. Thinking of you, I muttered to myself.

I’m sorry, I did love you.

 

Running around the campus, I was starting to think that she went outside of the area. I was starting to panic, knowing that she isn’t familiar with the place.

 

“Hey.” I looked at her eyes that made me fall for her. “It’s raining hard. You shouldn’t let yourself get soaked.” She placed the umbrella she was holding over my head. “If you’re going to do it like that, you’ll get soaked yourself.” I held the handle where she was holding the umbrella and adjusted it. I smiled at the warmth her hand emitted.

 

I panted, still searching high and low for her. I saw her figure by the traffic light. And I ran as fast as I could to catch up with her. I held her arm the moment I caught up.  She pulled her arm from me. “I thought you said I was hurting you. Why are you doing this?” She screamed at me.

 

She chuckled at my action. “You’re as cheeky as always, Ten. I can’t believe you’re my friend.” I looked into her eyes, and she did the same. “If you can’t believe it, then I won’t be your friend anymore.” Amusement was evident on her face.

 

“I’m tired of this. I know you are too.” I whispered. I couldn’t tell if it was raindrops or tears sliding down my cheeks. “You don’t have to explain anything. Just stay with me, please.” I desperately stared into her eyes, trying to find anything that could confirm what I was feeling.

I touched her cheek lovingly, just as what I always did to comfort her.

 

“Let’s take it to the next level.” formed an ‘o’. “So do you want us to become best friends then?” She joked. “No, but I definitely know that what I’m feeling for you is definitely mutual.” I eyed her, scolding. Her laughter echoed under the umbrella’s fabric.

 

“Ten.” She whispered. “I’m sorry.” And with just that as confirmation, I hugged her, not wanting to let go. She cried on my shoulder, apologizing. I thanked her countless of times, with a smile growing.

They say you could never forget of your first love. In my case, it was true. When she was gone, I buried my feelings underneath, swearing that I’d never bring myself to experience the same pain all over again with the same person. What I did was wrong, and I hurt myself more, even involving you into this mess.

I was just your storm, the one who’s with you at your lowest point. I just passed by your life, as pathetic it may seem. Why did I come into your life, you ask? Simple.  I don’t want anyone to go through what I felt. I ended up hurting you. It’s you, who has always been there for me. It’s you, who has always loved me for who I am.

 

Pitter patter, a storm passed by and left you ruined.

Pitter patter, there’s always something better to happen after the sadness and tears.

 


A/N: Hi guys! Some of you asked for another chapter so I did. I hope you loved it as much as the first one. ^^ Feedback and constructive criticism is highly appreciated! Please look forward to my upcoming stories.

((also if you guys are interested in befriending me, please do so! :D))