Rain.

Pitter Patter

 

Pitter patter, the rain poured down.

Pitter patter, my heart started beating for you from then on.

You had asked me if I was alright, seeing as I went through the rain searching for you. I felt so helpless, not seeing you for a day. All these feelings I was keeping from you were starting to seethe through my body. You had a hard time trying to stop me from crying. Telling me I’ll be fine while soothing me, when I know everything won’t be fine once you realize it.

 

We’ve been together since the moment we became friends at school. You said you understood how lonely I must’ve felt, without having any company. Being the anti-social I was, I ignored your attempts at befriending me.

You were following me everywhere, everyone was aware of what was happening. Being one of the students who represent our school, it was such a sight to see someone of that is befriending a quiet girl who barely knows anyone.

“Keep in mind that I’ll never give up. I’m Ten, the one who would never do that!” You always said those words before we part, or at least before I leave you. You were always in my mind, your cute eye smile never leaving my sight.

You disappeared for a week. No one bugged to hold my bag for me. No one joked around, making me hide the smallest of the smiles I do. No one bothered me to teach them the lessons they weren’t able to understand because all of these, you were the only who only did.

Once you returned at school, you didn’t notice my presence. You would enthusiastically greet me once you pass by me at the hallways, but you looked so out of it and that got me worried sick even though I see you around.

It was our last class for the day together. I glanced at your back from time to time, with you not turning back at least once like you always did. I started regretting the days I shunned you, when deep inside I knew how much I needed a friend to rely on.

Closing my eyes, I breathed out deeply. It’s probably too late now. Looking outside, it was dark and cloudy. I wondered if you had brought an umbrella, I wouldn’t want you to get sick since you just got back.

The bell rang, indicating that we’re dismissed. I took time to fix my things before going. I thought I was the last one to leave the room, until you called out my name.

Once I looked up to see, your eyes were full of gloom and sadness. I stopped what I was doing and asked, “Are you okay?”

You immediately hugged me, the one that needs of comfort and warmth from another person. I put my arms around you and squeezed you lightly. I let you rest your head on my shoulder, and you sighed softly. The only things we heard were our calm breathing and our hearts beating together.

We stayed in our position for a while, with the rain pouring lightly outside of the room.

 

You whispered. “I’m not okay.”

 


 

 

After we talked, we were inseparable. You would come with me wherever I go. Back to what happened at the room, you told me the reason of your absence after we held each other for a long time.

“My grandma has passed away. I never got to show her how much my moves improved. I still remember when she told me I had so much charisma dancing, when I had no clue what dancing was when all I did was move freely.”  You told me with a soft smile.

“Is that why you pursued dancing? It’s because of her?” I caressed our intertwined hands with my thumb.

You looked at me in the eyes before nodding, beaming at me.

 

I heard some of your friends ask you if we were a ‘thing’. You saw me blush and you shook your head. The tips of your ears were a tinge of red, betraying the answer that you gave. Taeyong mocked you by repeating your answer with an exaggerated shy expression.

We just laughed it off, when truth is my heart skipped a beat at your reaction.

I wasn’t sure of where our relationship stood. We denied everyone who asked us if we were dating, but when no one was around we would clasp our hands together while telling each other stories, as if it was normal to us.

We were hanging out at the usual room we always had our last class at. Watching the raindrops fall on the window, quietly enjoying the presence of each other.

“You know, I find this weather soothing.  It’s like the raindrops are dancing.” I chuckled at your comment.

Looking at your side profile, I admired your handsomeness with the dim lighting coming from outside.  I nodded mindlessly. “It does.”

“I like it a lot when it rains. The storm comes and goes. Even if I’d wish for it to rain for a long time, it would still leave. A rainbow would appear along with the sun and the clear sky afterwards. It’s beautiful, how nature works its beauty.” A soft smile was apparent on your face.

We just stayed there, taking your words into consideration. Gazing outside, we were at peace.

“This may sound random, but do you bring an umbrella?” I asked, since I never saw you leave under this kind of weather. You kept quiet.

I straightened my back and I lightly slapped your shoulder. “You don’t? What if you get sick? You should always bring one.” I looked through my bag so I can lend my umbrella until you stopped me from doing so.

You had those sad eyes once again, before covering it up with a grin you forced. “No need, I’d rather you be protected from the rain.”

 After a few attempts of making you get my umbrella, I gave up because you flashed me a tired smile. I noticed how your facial expressions these days look wary and worn out. Just like a few weeks ago, I asked. “Are you okay?”

 

Scanning through my features, you had a different answer this time. “I will be.”

 


 

 

A new student transferred to our school. Rumours said that she came from your previous school. That she was someone special in your life. I know I didn’t have the right to be jealous of this, but I started thinking back of the memories we had of holding each other’s hands while sharing a laugh. Were all those just an act?

Ever since the rumours spread, I saw you hanging out with the transferee looking so happy.

Hey, is she Ten’s girlfriend? Yeah, I heard they’re each other’s first love. Isn’t that cute?

Did they get back together or did she transfer because of him?


The grip I had on the straps of my bag tensed. I walked as fast as I can away from the scene. I avoided anyone who’d approach me, most especially you. I would turn around a corner before you’d see me, that one loner girl who you ditched. As pathetic as I may seem, my mind would always remind me of you and the smile that you had talking about your passion as a dancer.

I missed you a lot, but my pride was stopping me. After all, you were the one who always came to me first. You didn’t even bother to check up on me.

It was time for our last class. The classroom we always stayed at, I was nervous to see you when I came inside, but you weren’t there. Feeling a bit lighter, I went to my seat and started taking notes. I saw the drizzly weather outside, and your words flashed in my mind. Even if I’d wish for it to rain for a long time, it would still leave.

I hated how I always craved for your attention. How I liked seeing you around me.

Classes just finished, and you were still nowhere to be found. The harder the rain had gotten, the more I worried for your goddamn sake.

“Have you seen Ten? He doesn’t usually miss this class.” I heard the girls behind me talk. Yes, he doesn’t skip this class because he said I was always present. Feeling the bitter taste in my mouth, I rested my head on my table.

“Someone saw him ran out of the building looking devastated. I’m not sure though.”  

I stiffened at her response, and I rushed outside without delay after eavesdropping. I panicked, concerned for your being.

 

Pitter patter, I ran through the rain just to find you.

Pitter patter, I breathed heavily looking around the misty surroundings.

It was hard to see under the pitch-black sky, with the rain falling nonstop. I couldn’t even see anything anymore, but I still chose to look for you.

Through the groggy state I was in, I saw your figure by the sidewalk. You were at the other side of the street, with your back me. I was about to call you, until I saw another figure right behind you. My limbs went rigid, and all my senses numbed. I recalled a certain memory I had.

 

“Stop crying.” You said, wiping the tears that didn’t stop from falling. “I’m always here for you. Everything will be fine, okay? Listen to me.” You were lightly shaking my shoulders, comforting me by saying sweet nothings.

 

Cars were passing by, but I was able to see the moment unfold right before my eyes. You held her cheek, as if her face was fragile as glass. She had looked frustrated over something you were arguing over. You her cheek gently with your other hand holding the nape of her neck. She calmed down, giving in to the warmth your hand gave.

 

You hugged me, and I hugged back, scared of letting you go. “Ten, I’m scared.” I breathed out shakily. “Please don’t ever leave my side. Please...” My voice faltered seeing the tears pooling in your eyes. I didn’t understand. You never made me understand.

 

I saw Ten’s name. I’m sorry. She whispered. You hugged her firmly, just like the way I hugged you when you were there for me. I turned my back, knowing what will happen next. The times you stayed by my side, those times you made me feel like I was someone important to you, cherished by you. I wasn’t able to stop myself from falling, neither were we able to make it rain longer.

 

Rain is indeed a beauty the nature has given us.  It only stays for a while, making the moments that you’d want to be in longer, short-lived. Just like the friendship that you have made me happy, even if it was just for a while.

Pitter patter, the rain hid the inevitable tears I had been keeping in, blocking the sounds my sobs were making under the gloomy sky.

Pitter patter, there’s something much more beautiful to come after the storm.