Chapter 1

The Prince of EXODUS

•Baekhyun's POV•

 

"Baekkie!" The overly excited Luhan shouted in my ear. "How was your weekend?"

 

"What do you think you too-happy idiot? My family started yelling at me again about why I had to be gay and how it would totally ruin the company especially since I am the oldest and so I am the heir. Honestly, I just wish I could leave this place so I could forget all of it." My voice was monotone as I talked to my "best friend." In elementary school he kinda just came up to me and said that he was going to be my best friend and nothing could stop him, even being ignored. As you can see, he kept his unwanted promise.

 

"This is why I am always saying come live with me! You know my family loves you as much as I do and we are pretty much brothers already! C'mon, please?" I rolled my eyes at his stupidity and just kept walking, keeping my voice monotone and ignoring pretty much everything. I got to my seat next to the window and looked outside. Unfortunately clouds were covering the sun which meant that I was drained of my normal energy. Yes I get energy from the sun, no I do not know why. The teacher walked in and I mentally groaned. I hate this school so much and now it is made even worse without my energy and this is going to be hell.

 

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

 

It had been the same slow morning like every other day until I saw someone new come through the class door. He immediately peaked my interest with his pink hair and younger features. I almost burst out laughing when I saw his ears which were so reminiscent of an elf's. He was unlike any of the people at this school and I finally might not have to be bored anymore, especially with the weird pull I feel towards him. When he finally turned to look at our class I saw how handsome he really was. I realised my head was craned upward to look at him and that made me believe that he was officially not from this world. Especially since he still looked like a wet dream on legs. Like I know I look good with my feminine yet handsome features but hot damn, I don't even know his name yet I want to bend to all of his wills. 

 

"Hi, I guess. I am Park Chanyeol, your new History teacher. I don't have the information of what happened to your last one but I will tell you this, I don't care how your class was before, you are now my students and so I will do my best to teach you. Please introduce yourselves with your name and one thing you like." One by one all of the others introduced themselves, I got a kick out of Luhan's where he stated that he liked the new teacher's hair. I could understand him though.

 

"Byun Baekhyun. I like singing." I went back to ignoring everyone else after that. It seemed that I would not get my peace though, as right when I looked out the window the teacher decided that he would ask one of us what the most recent thing we had learned was. Unfortunately that person was me so I did the painstaking task of opening my notebook to the most recent page and handing it to him, not feeling like talking.

 

"Okay, it seems that you guys are on track, maybe a little catching up necessary, but otherwise no worries. So what do you want, a lecture, notes and a lecture, a single person project to be started here, or a group project to be started here. It will be on the chapter that we are on." It had been split between the single or group project, I on the side of the singles project.

 

"Sir," I said raising my hand, "Don't you think it would be smart for us to be able to choose what type of project we want to do? It is obvious with the way that the class is split that there will be no satisfying anyone so maybe we can let those who want to be in groups be in groups but those not to keen in being in a group can just work by their self."

 

He took a second to remember my name before he answered. "I believe that would be a good idea, Baekhyun. The project will be a slides presentation that will be due next week. You will be presenting it. You have today and tomorrow to work on it in class but then you will be doing it on your own time, I will stay after for those who need to use the school computers."

 

At the last part of his sentence it was like a madhouse, papers flying and voices travelling all over the classroom. It seemed that even though some were working alone they still met up with friends to talk. I just stayed in my seat and got out the textbook, ready for getting this done as soon as possible. When I heard the piercing sound of a chair being pulled back against the floor right next to me I knew that Luhan had come over to work next to me. Just what I need, a kid in a teenager's body who never has an off switch. I hope that he doesn't try to get me to work with him and just wants to sit next to me so he can talk like he always does.

 

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

 

I stretched as the bell rang, thank God the school day was finally over. I swear I was about to die. I gathered my things and exited the school at a leisurely pace, taking my time to enjoy the silence before I put on my earbuds and blasted the music that let me escape from the world. I took the long route to my house to avoid my second hell and saw that there was a new café open. It actually looked really inviting and I was especially drawn to the 'free Wi-Fi' sign. I crossed the busy road and entered the inviting building, immediately loving the homey feel that it had as I saw the big comfy chairs next to the window and the polished dark oak tables and their matching chairs, moving my eyes over the walls at the modern yet still classic paintings and the stage in the one corner that led me to believe that there would probably be upcoming karaoke and poem reading nights, which are both things that I love.

 

When I got to the counter to order I was pleasantly surprised to see an actual coffee pot and all the things to make fresh coffee, including a really nice looking grinder. Then I saw the hiring sign and knew that this was probably the best thing that has happened this week. I waited for the current person who manning the register to come back and was surprised to see someone from my school there. Do Kyungsoo was his name, and while I never talked to him myself, I knew he was actually pretty okay.

 

"Oh hey Baekhyun, nice to see you here. What would you like to order?" The smile on his face was radiant and I suddenly felt insecure. Here was this beautiful creature who had all the boys at school swooning over him and being his own personal fan club smiling at me as if we were on the same level.

 

Not that I minded.

 

"Hey, Kyungsoo. If I could have a caramel mocha with a mixed berry cupcake that would be great." I paused for a moment, "I would also like to question the owner about working here, if I could." If anything, the smile on his face got even wider after that.

 

"Let me get that for you and I will go and find him, and from what I can tell, you definitely have the job."

 

I walked over to one of the big plush chairs and sat down, my small stature sinking down into the comfort and surprising warmth. I would have fallen asleep had it not been for Kyungsoo calling my name for my order and then going to find the boss. Before I even looked at the drink I observed the amazing looking cupcake. The paper was a nice dark blue with white dots all over it and it was on a simple glass plate with a nice floral pattern on the outside. The frosting was white and swirled in the most amazing way and the main decoration was what looked to be a mint leaf with razz berries, strawberries, and blackberries all cut in half and in the shape of a flower. It looked very elegant and I almost didn't want to eat it.

 

Then I saw the drink. It was in a white cup with blue, green, purple, and black lines in random swirls on it. The cups plate had the same design. The drink itself was gorgeous in its own way. The swirled foam and caramel in an almost heart like design that somehow didn't look displeasing to the eye.

 

Finally I brought myself to pick up the steaming drink and the smell wafted up with the steam. It had an earthy undertone to it with the coffee scent that wasn't overpowering and very pleasing to the nose. When I took the first sip I almost took a double take. The drink was at the perfect temperature, reminding me of the times when I am curled up on the couch in my room blanket covering me and reading a really good book, like Harry Potter, or Inkheart. The taste was unlike anything I had before. The caramel is the first thing that hits you, but it doesn't get overpowered or overpower anything else as the chocolate starts to make its presence known. Then the aftertaste of the coffee is not bitter like you would expect, but a nice reminder that it is there.

 

The first bite of the cupcake made me complete as I let out a groan of satisfaction. The first thing you taste is the cake itself and instead of vanilla I can tell that the person who made this used a berry extract instead. Then there was the frosting, which was like biting into a cloud. It was fluffy, but not to much, and had a very light taste to go with it. And from the berries crisp sweetness it was obvious that only the freshest were used.

 

"Ummm... am I interrupting something private? Cause I can come back later." The voice shocked me and I opened my eyes which I hadn't noticed closed.

 

"You're not interrupting anything! This cupcake is just really good, almost too good." The stranger laughs and I watch as his head falls back with the sound.

 

"You are amazing. I'm Jongin, but call me Kai. I own this place, and I was told by Kyungsoo that you may be interested in a job here. Of course there will have to be a formal meeting to decide when you will be working and what you will be doing, but from what I can tell, I think you are perfect for the café. In fact, I may have a uniform in the back your size already... would you like to try it on?"

 

"That would be amazing, just show me the way and I will change!" He took me to the back and showed me the changing room with the employee lockers. He pointed out mine and when I opened it I saw the uniform. I took a minute to change, appreciating the soft fabric. I looked at the mirror and was pleasantly surprised. I did not look like a pretentious idiot like I thought I would, but instead the white button up shirt with the simple black tie looked appealing. The black pants also looked quite good, with there also being an apron with the logo of the café. Top it off with black shoes and the look was actually very nice and inviting. I stepped out and made my way to the main room. I coughed to grab their attention. "So? Is it good?"

 

I got freaked out when Kyungsoo squealed. That was a good sign right? Apparently so, as the next moment I was engulfed in a hug from the fellow small male. "Good? I would say that that is a definite understatement! You look too awesome for words! Kai, please tell me we will be hiring him!"

 

"Of course we will be, how could I not." I smiled at the two of them, maybe this day wasn't as terrible as I thought.