O N E

er for Pain

Like any villain, we start out as an innocent.

 

Before our minds rot anyways.

 

This is a story on how I started out.

 

In short, how I met him

 

 

It was like any other day, except summer was turning to fall quick with the cool air and the orange yellow leaves piling up the streets.  It was my final year in high school and I had a bright future ahead of me, assured with all my good grades and trophies that took a whole room now. I had all the right plans to secure a job in Lord Technologies where I could maybe – earn a fling with Maxwell Lord too.

 

Oh lord, imagine having his calloused hands roaming all over my body while we were on a break from maybe creating the world’s heat resistant suit that rivals the Flash’s suit. Did I tell you my fling with Barry Allen was the best so far? Oh let me tell you the wonders the boy gives you with his quick fingers – “Junghee?” My dreams came to a halt as my little brother came to me with his lower lip jutting out “Hmm?”

 

His pout only got sulkier as he didn’t receive the attention he wanted thus he decided to jerk my face towards his, I clicked my tongue while he pointed to the cut across his cheeks. I snorted “I ain’t fixing that for you,” he whined “No.” Though he seemingly given up, his hands stayed put “Jongin–“ He grabbed my wrist and shushed me before hissing, “RUN!” 

 

See, the only flaw I had in my plans was that my family was buried under a load of debt. A debt that Jongin and me had to clear without the help of any guardian or adults. I guess this is what a pair of runaway orphans get, we didn’t’ believe anything would’ve went right anyways. But we rather lead a life like this than as a personal entertainer for some sick rich tycoon. I know the luxurious life that would’ve come from accepting the tycoon’s offer but my pride couldn’t bare such humiliation.

 

Although we were orphans we did get some share of fame in the media world, as the musical and theatre genius duo. I wonder if our parents would’ve thought twice if they knew they given birth to potential successful kids. Though I threw that part of my life for bioengineering while Kai pursued theatre – which was how the loan sharks easily found us. In all the states and cities we’ve been, there was always one competition that lured us.

Stupid, I know. But we both loved our talents and competitions were the major source of our money anyways aside from part-time jobs. Did I tell you Kai took a job at some rundown strip club and although a crude job it was, it chased off one loan shark. Of course I did my part in some lewd jobs too but all didn’t concern revealing our faces and we found that enough to save our pride.

 

We took a sharp turn to an alleyway and the pull of a trigger could be heard as Kai pulled out his gun and took a defensive stance. I on the other hand would be the decoy. With a single nod we separated and while I found a dead-end the sound of single muffled shot ran through the air “That’s my brother.” I couldn’t stop the smirk tugging the corner of my lips as men in suits cornered me.  

 

“Do you guys know where you are?”

 

A man – the most buff – snickered as he threw my question back to me and cockily answered “Your end.” I snorted; did these losers actually chase me without doing any background check? Gosh these idiots think they’re everything with their guns. As one man leaped towards me, I easily caught his fist and bent his arm back. My other hand snatching his gun before I shot two guys and they, in return, attempted to shoot me but instead shot their friend.

 

Dropping the corpse in my hands, I lunged for the buff man while fiddling for the dagger I hid on my thigh. Sending a roundhouse kick to the man before catching another’s fist and twisting his wrist back. The sound of bones cracking filled my ears along with the thud of the buff man’s body falling and the now cowering man on his knees hugging his hands to his chest

 

“p-please spare m-me.” I took pity on the man who looked the youngest out of all of them but as soon as I heard the rustle of the man behind me, I threw the dagger right between the man’s eyes and stepped on the cowering man’s crotch “Hear my words, I’ll spare you if-“ BANG! The sound of a shot rang in my ears and my knee-high socks were now smeared in fresh blood “Dang it, Kai!”

 

I whined to him about how these were my favorite socks that helped my legs to not freeze but no I guess my brother liked the idea of me freezing to death. Or maybe he likes my legs bare, who knows? The bodies that were sprawled around us started to dissipate to nothing while the blood on my socks turned black.

 

If you can’t guess what situation we’re in, it’s called having a debt with the underworld – with creatures you thought were mythical and just a figment of your imagination. See, my and Kai had an affiliation for underground fighting tournaments before we got ourselves tangled up with the underworld’s version of fighting – which was fighting till the death.

 

A secret you guys should know is that Kai and me transcend the normal human’s strength and almost in everything thus why we find no problem in beating men twice our size and also how we managed to beat so many of them when we were involved with underground boxing – we knew it was illogical but when we were making money with this miracle, why care? As long as we got the money, there wasn’t anything else to worry about except for covering wounds and homework due the next day.

 

How easygoing we used to be before we were trampled with debt and almost daily chases made by those loan sharks. But this is what we find normal and a daily routine before we drifted and I met him.