Final

The Disappearance of Mr. Unicorn

 

 

Luhan is mature, hardworking, caring and a perfect dad. Or he had to become all of this when his drunken one night stand in college got pregnant, gave birth, and decided to run away. She was a lovely girl but she wanted to be an actress and she didn’t want to have kids. Not that she and Luhan had a relationship or anything. It just happened in one of the parties Luhan’s roommates used to throw once a month.

It was Luhan who said he was going to keep the child when she said she was planning to give him for adoption. Because no matter how many times people told him he was too young for this and it was a mistake Luhan loved that little beautiful and playful “mistake”. He would never abandon his child no matter the conditions under which he was born.

Luhan loved Yixing. From his cute little dimple every time he smiled to every little sound he made when he played with his toys. Yixing was just adorable and he was Luhan’s everything. “If you look at the dictionary for the definition of the word ‘cute’ you will find Yixing’s name next to it” Luhan’s mother loves to say to every single person she introduces her grandson to. They love Yixing.

And even if it had been difficult in the beginning for Luhan since he knew nothing about parenting, a 27 year old Luhan is fully capable of taking care of a 3 years old Yixing. His parents help him from time to time, his best friend, Baekhyun, babysits for him when he runs late from work and everything goes great.

He has an apartment close to the center of a city with a nice view, enough space for Yixing to play and Luhan to work. And Luhan is really proud of how he painted and decorated Yixing’s room. Putting stickers around the walls with Yixing’s favorite cartoon characters and animals that the toddler chose himself.

Luhan has managed to balance parenting and work. He is honestly happy at the end of the day when he stands by the door of Yixing’s room and hears him snoring softly.

Every day he wakes up early, prepares Yixing’s lunch, drops him at day care and then goes to work. On Saturdays they go downtown to do their shopping. Supermarket, bakery, occasionally new clothes or toys for Yixing since he grows up so fast.

Shopping is the best adventure for Yixing. Every Saturday morning he excitedly jumps around the house until they leave. Looking out of the car’s window during the drive to the supermarket, asking a million questions about everyone and everything he sees and making up stories on his own. He is at that phase when children love to ask why. Why is the sky blue? Why do we sleep on a bed? Why do I have to eat my vegetables? Luhan would swear every three words Yixing says, there is a why in it. But he enjoys answering them nevertheless.

Yixing is a very social kid. Although he is shy he likes meeting new people and people like meeting him (because he is so, so adorable). “Hello Mr. Baker”, “Hello Mrs. who gives us apples”, “Hello Mrs. who gives us meat”. And Luhan is very proud of his good manners.

Today is Saturday and it’s no exception for Yixing’s excitedness and impatience. He jumps around the house causing trouble as his father attempts to dress him. He runs around the coffee table holding his stuffed toy up in the air, high above his head yelling “shopping – shopping”.

Luhan just stares at him from the corner of the room, tired of running around. He can’t help but smile. He knows Yixing won’t stop anytime soon. He is as restless as Luhan was as a child.

“Daddy can we go now?” Yixing hugged Luhan’s leg.

Luhan picked him up and made him sat on the couch. “Only if you get dressed young man!” he said as he tried once again to dress the child.

“Can we take Mr. Unicorn with us too?” Yixing asked as he was laying down, letting Luhan dress him.

Luhan sighed as he tried to put on his pants. Dressing someone could be tiring. “But Xing Xing you might lose Mr. Unicorn again. Don’t you remember the other time when you forgot him next to the apple bench?”

Yixing pouted, thinking. “But I will hold him tightly and I won’t forget him again. I promise daddy I will hold his hand all the time. I won’t leave him.”

Luhan smiled and patted his son’s head. “Ok Xing Xing but you have to be careful”

“Yay!!!!!!” Yixing yelled as he got up again and run to his room to get Mr. Unicorn. “Come on Mr. Unicorn we are going out!!”



“Water checked, snack checked, shirt and pants checked, gloves checked. Money and shopping list checked! Ok I think we are ready…”

“Daddy go let’s goooo!” Yixing said, pulling Luhan from his jeans.

“Yes just a moment Yixing I want to make sure I have everything with me. Do you want to go to the toilet before we leave?”

“No let’s goooo!” Yixing ran to the door.

“Ok ok! Here get your bag and go. Hold Mr. Unicorn tightly!”

Yixing just nodded and they headed out of the house. Since Luhan had left his car to the mechanic for servicing they decided to take the bus. They waited at the bus station, Yixing asking questions about everything he saw. Pretty soon they got into a game of saying the colors of each car that was passing. Yixing was excited every time Luhan said the wrong color. When the bus came they got in and stayed quiet until they reached their destination.

First they went to the supermarket. Luhan placed Yixing inside the cart where he arranged the things Luhan gave him, Mr. Unicorn next to him. They left after they paid and the cashier gave Yixing a candy bar. Luhan doesn’t usually let Yixing eat many sweets but he basically gets them on Saturday and Luhan makes an exception. After the supermarket they went to buy some new shirts for Yixing since he had grown taller lately. Last, they went to the bakery where Luhan bought some cookies and bread and the baker gave Yixing a lollipop.

They headed back to the bus station, Luhan checking if they had everything before the bus arrived. “Yixing where is Mr. Unicorn?”

“Hmm what daddy?” Yixing asked as he was mindlessly eating his lollipop.

“Where is Mr. Unicorn? Don’t you have him?” Luhan asked again, checking inside his bags in case he put him there.

“Mr. Unicorn where is Mr. Unicorn I don’t have Mr. Unicorn! Where did he go??” Yixing started crying.

“Don’t cry Xing Xing maybe he is in your bag,” Luhan said in panic, opening Yixing’s bag.

“No he isn’t here! I lost him I lost him daddy!” he cried and stomped his feet on the ground, making the lollipop fall from his hand. “Noooo my lollipop!”
Luhan hurried to hug Yixing and wipe his tears as the bus came. They got in and Luhan found a place to sit, trying to calm Yixing down. Luhan’s attempt was unsuccessful, Yixing was distraught over losing his stuffed toy.

“I – I said I will *sniff* I will not lose him *sniff* but I don’t have him daddy!” he cried harder.

Luhan hugged him tightly, placing Yixing’s head on his shoulder. He faced the other direction, and proceeded to pat his back. “It’s ok, Xing Xing we will find him, I promise.”

Luhan stared nervously at the people who had turned to look at them with annoyed and disapproving looks. Some old men and women even shook their heads. “Shhh don’t cry. You are a good boy, don’t cry. We will find Mr. Unicorn, we will go to the shop again and search for him. Don’t cry Xing Xing,” he pleaded at his son’s sobs.

“Noooo he will be alone! I will never find him again!” Yixing didn’t seem ready to stop yet. Luhan started to panic.

Yixing had never cried like this before, Luhan was worried he might get sick. He kept patting his back until he felt Yixing trying to reach something behind his back. He realized Yixing had stopped crying.

“What happened Xing Xing?” he turned to look at his now smiling son. The child was even laughing.

“Hahah” Yixing giggled.

“What are you laughing at Xing Xing?” Luhan was worried something wrong happened to his son to start laughing out of the blue.

“The funny gege! Let me go to the funny gege!” Yixing said as he again reached behind Luhan’s back.

Luhan turned to see who Yixing was pointing to. Two seats behind them was a man with big cat-like eyes and fluffy pink hair. The man was making weird faces at Yixing, who was now crying from laughing.

“Yixing I’m not sure you should...” Luhan started.

“No I want to go to funny gege he is funny look daddy hahahah”

Luhan had to admit the faces this man was making were indeed funny. It seemed to make Yixing happy and help him forget Mr. Unicorn. “Ok we can sit next to him.”

“Excuse me can we sit with you?”

“Yes,” the man answered simply, making some space for them.

Luhan waited to switch seats until the bus stopped at the next traffic light.

“Hello I am Luhan and this is my son Yixing,” Luhan introduced himself as he shook this man’s hand. He looked beautiful from up close. His eyes were captivating and his pink hair suited him.

“Kim Minseok,” the man said.

“Oh you are not from here?” Luhan asked upon hearing the foreign name. He didn’t know anyone with a name like this in China so maybe this man wasn’t from here.

“No I moved here a few weeks ago. I am from Seoul” the man – Minseok – said as he turned his attention to Yixing and making him smile. He puffed his cheeks, making them really round. Luhan had to admit he looked cute. Yixing giggled.

“Gege why is your hair pink?” Yixing asked. Minseok pouted, thinking.

“Because I like cotton candy,” he explained in the cutest way, tilting his head slightly to the side.

“I like cotton candy too! Will my hair be pink?” Yixing asked confused.

“No it won’t.” Luhan laughed and pinched his cheek.

Yixing reached over to Minseok and the latter gave a look to Luhan, silently asking for permission. As Luhan nodded, he put Yixing on his lap. The toddler started messing with Minseok’s hair.

“Yixing no! What are you doing?” Luhan was petrified and tried to stop his son.

“Let him, it’s ok”, Minseok said calmly, holding Yixing a little higher so it would be easier for the toddler to reach and ruffle his hair.

“Are you sure? Isn’t he hurting you?” Luhan asked, worried.

“No. It’s fine don’t worry,” Minseok said, still only looking at Yixing. “Will you tell me your name?” It’s not that he hadn’t heard Luhan saying his name but he figured he could try talking with the kid. He was adorable.

“My name is Yixing! But daddy calls me Xing Xing.” He momentarily stopped playing with Minseok’s hair to answer.

“Can I call you Xing Xing?” Minseok asked, amused by the toddler.

“Yes gege. Are you a daddy too?” Yixing looked skeptical.

“Hah no, no I am not a daddy. I am just a gege,” Minseok clarified.

According to his mother he should have found a young lady by now and have kids of his own. The problem was Minseok didn’t like women. Minseok preferred tall, handsome and fit men with nice smiles. Like the one sitting next to him right now, smiling, his captivating eyes sparkling.

The problem was, this beautiful man had a child, meaning he had a wife, meaning Minseok should stop staring at him, grinning like an idiot because the kid seems to be talking at him again.

He tried to direct his attention back to the adorable child. At the moment he wishes he had a child of his own, a child as beautiful and nice as this one. And a husband as beautiful and caring as this man.

“Gege I am talking to you!” The toddler pokes his cheek to get his attention.

“I am sorry what?” He asks and notices Luhan seems uncomfortable.

“Can I call you daddy?” Yixing repeats and Minseok’s eyes go wide.

“I – I am not sure this is proper Xing Xing since you have a daddy. What will your mom say?”

Now Luhan’s eyes go wide because even though Yixing is used to not have a mother around and he never asks, Luhan doesn’t really like to talk about it in front of him.

Minseok sees his reaction and stares at him, worried. Yixing beats Luhan to an explanation. “I don’t have a mom so I want another dad. I want to call you daddy too.”

“Why?” is all Minseok says but Luhan interferes.

“Xing Xing, you can’t ask Minseok this when you just met him. It isn’t right.” To lighten the mood he adds, “You don’t love daddy anymore?”

“I love daddy but why can’t I have Minseok ge too? I want to play with Minseok ge too!” He says seriously.

“I can come and play with you whenever you want.” Minseok reassures him, trying to ignore feeling like he was stabbed. Because this idea would be nice, really nice, having a family, having this family.

“Really Minseok ge?” Yixing asked happy with this new turn of events.

“Sure if your dad allows it I can” Minseok smiled. Spending time with a kid like Yixing would be definitely worth it. But he could understand Luhan if he denied. You can’t trust every stranger you meet at the streets with your child.

“Maybe someday” Luhan said not wanting to be rude yet not really wanting to turn down the offer. Minseok seemed nice but how could he be sure after a few minutes of knowing him. “This is our stop,” he announces. “Come on Xing Xing let’s go. Say bye.”

“Bye Minseok gege,” he says and hugs him.

“See you again Yixing” he returns the hug and then smiles to Luhan… who smiles back. Minseok feels a little lightheaded. Minseok thinks about Luhan for the rest of the day.



The next time Luhan sees Minseok is three days later. He spots Minseok entering a café while on his way to work.

The next time they meet Minseok in person is the following Saturday, during their weekly trip to the market. They are standing in front of the dairy station of the supermarket while Luhan compares two brands of yogurts and their nutritional benefits for a 3 year old. Luhan stops his calculations when he sees Yixing try to climb of the cart.

“Yixing watch out! What are you doing?” he asks, catching Yixing just before he fell out of the cart.

“Baozi gege! Look daddy! It’s baozi gege!” Yixing pointed towards a man at the other end of the aisle, pushing his cart towards their direction.

“Hey gege!” Yixing yelled and Minseok turned to look at them. He flashed a smile at the child.

“Hey Xing Xing! Luhan.” Minseok said as he came close to them. “Nice seeing you again.”

“Hello Minseok,” Luhan greets back, a smile slowly forming on his face. “How have you been?”

“Good, nothing special,” Minseok replied and turned to pinch Yixing’s cheek.

“Gege are you shopping too?” Yixing asked, eyeing Minseok’s almost empty cart.

“Yes I just got here,” Minseok said. He turned towards Luhan. “I am kind of confused with all those products and their descriptions written in Chinese.”
Luhan laughs. “You need any help?”

“Sure! I would like that,” Minseok answers and they start rolling their carts side by side.

They help Minseok with his shopping and as they get out of the market Yixing babbles about how he hasn’t yet found his toy.

“It has been years gege and I still haven’t found him!” he said, waving his little hands. Luhan laughed at how Yixing kept exaggerating when he talked about time.

Minseok laughed too at how desperate the toddler looked at his loss. “Have I ever told you about what my work is, Yixing?” he asked.

“No gege! Where do you work?” the toddler asked as Minseok helped him sit in his car seat.

They were now in the parking lot of the supermarket. Minseok had offered to help Luhan with carrying Yixing and his shopping bags. Luhan had declined at first but Minseok insisted. He said it was a way of paying him back for helping him find the right products, instead of letting him wander aimlessly around the store.

“I work at this big toy store nearby”, Minseok said, moving his hands to explain how big the store was. His voice and expression turning to one of a story teller. “There are so many toys in there and children come to buy some everyday with their parents and read fairytales and play games.”

“Are you advertising?” he heard Luhan chuckle from the trunk.

“No! Not at all!” He pretends to be offended. “I was just saying that if Yixing doesn’t find his toy he can come to the store to buy whatever he wants.”

At this Yixing beams. “Really? Can I come now?” he asks expectant.

“I don’t think so. We should go home now. You need to eat and get some sleep,” Luhan answers.

“Tomorrow? Can we go tomorrow daddy?”

“Yes, come tomorrow I will wait for you,” Minseok says before Luhan can say no.

“But tomorrow is Sunday, aren’t you closed?” the latter asks.

“I can make an exception.” Minseok smiles.

Luhan thinks about it for a moment before he finally agrees. He doesn’t really have anything to lose. Minseok seems like a pretty good guy and Yixing adores him. They might as well pay a visit to the store and get something new for Yixing. They exchange phone numbers and Minseok gives Luhan the address.


Later that day, after they had returned home, Yixing interrupted Luhan’s work. “Daddy look what I made?” Yixing said as he came next to Luhan, who was engrossed in a work project.

“What did you draw Xing Xing?” he smiled at his son. He was always amused to see the little drawings Yixing did. Luhan was a graphic designer, he liked to think that Yixing got some talent from him.

“Look look!” the toddler said as he crawled to his father’s lap to show him the drawing.

“This is a baozi?” Luhan asked and Yixing nodded. “But why does it have pink at the top?” Luhan was confused.

“It’s his hair daddy! This is Mr. Baozi. He is the gege we met earlier. Doesn’t he look like that?” Yixing said, admiring his own drawing.

Luhan laughed loudly. But he had to admit Minseok did look like a baozi when he smiled and puffed his cheeks out. “Hah this is great Yixing! I think you should give it to him tomorrow when we meet him.”

“We will really go daddy?” the toddler asked expectant.

“Yes little one I promised you, didn’t I? And Minseok said he will be waiting for us. Now let’s go get you something to eat.” he said as he got up. With Yixing in his arms he headed for the kitchen.


The next day Luhan was woken up by someone jumping on his bed. He opened one eye and saw an excited Yixing tangled in the sheets. “Hey buddy what are you doing here this early?” he checked the clock, it was 6.30 in the morning.

“Daddy let’s go to baozi gege!” Yixing said, emerging from under the sheets. Luhan laughed.

“It’s kind of early baby I am pretty sure gege will be asleep now. Something that you should be doing too. Come here.” He brought Yixing close to him and sang to the child until he was asleep again. Soon, Luhan fell asleep too.

Around 11 o’ clock Luhan dressed Yixing and headed to the store. He started driving and hoped Minseok would be there by the time they arrived. He could call him of course but he was kind of shy to do so. If they found the place and Minseok wasn’t there he would call, for Yixing’s sake, of course. Thankfully, though, Minseok was waiting for them in front of the store.

“Hello there,” Luhan said. Yixing left his hand and ran to hug Minseok.

“Hey!” Minseok said and hugged Yixing back. “Hello, Luhan how are you?”

“I am fine, thanks. I hope we didn’t disturb any plans you might have.”

“Plans? Nah on Sunday mornings I usually help my cousin survive from his hangover.” He smiled and turned to unlock the store.

“Daddy what is a hangover?” Yixing asked and Minseok froze.

“When someone stays up really late and then his tummy and head are aching,” Luhan explained. Minseok mouthed an ‘I’m sorry’ which Luhan dismissed with a wave of his hands. Yixing asks about everything now. He could easily hear that from TV and it wasn’t a bad word either way. But Minseok apologized to Luhan a couple of more times either way.

Yixing walked around the store checking every toy and stuffed animal that there was there. That gave some time to Luhan and Minseok to talk and get to know the other a little.

Minseok told Luhan that he had recently moved to Beijing to work with his cousin (who grew up here) after finishing his studies. That he was a musician but he preferred composition instead of working till the early morning hours in bars and barely making a living. He told him that he loved children and that Yixing was adorable.

Luhan told Minseok how Yixing was born, afraid of Minseok’s reaction, though the other commented that what Luhan did was remarkable and he admired him for it. Luhan also told him where he worked, what his dream as a child was and how much he liked football. And they found out they had many things in common. Minseok even offered to play football with Luhan if he ever had some free time.

It was nice meeting someone new, with so many things in common. Someone interesting and handsome. Luhan hadn’t felt like this in a while. Of course he had friends and he had made new ones the years after Yixing was born. But this feeling was different. This feeling was actual attraction to someone. And not the kind he felt when he sometimes flirted with strangers at bars. Attraction and closure, like there was someone he could feel comfortable with, a shoulder to lean on in a difficult situation, a securing embrace after a tiring day at work. A feeling you get when you meet the person you want to spend your every day with. This was interesting.

After a while Yixing came back with a stuffed animal in the shape of a squirrel.

“This is the one you like?” Minseok asked him as he raised the child up and sat him on the desk.

“Yes isn’t he cute? He will be Mr. Unicorn’s friend,” Yixing chirped.

“I am sure they will be great friends, little one.” Minseok ruffled Yixing’s hair.

“So, Minseok, how much do we owe you?” Luhan asked, ready to take out his wallet until Minseok stopped him.

“Nothing, this is my present to Xing Xing.”

“Are you sure?” Luhan couldn’t believe it.

“Yes of course. I told you I was going to give you one until you find Mr. Unicorn, didn’t I?” He said to Yixing.

“Yixing, did you thank Minseok ge for the gift?” Luhan wanted to make sure that Yixing would thank Minseok properly for being so kind.

“Thank you Minseok gege I love you!” the toddler said, planting a kiss on Minseok’s cheek. The man made that surprised face again, the one that made him look adorable.

“I love you too Xing Xing,” he said genuinely, ignoring how good those words made him feel, and hugged him. “Be careful not to lose this one too though.”
Yixing didn’t stop talking about his pink haired gege and all the funny faces he made and how happy he was playing with him for the whole rest of week.

Luhan didn’t stop thinking about puffed out cheeks, round brown eyes and fluffy pink hair.



It was Saturday again and Luhan was pacing nervously in his kitchen. They were about to go out for their weekly shopping routine but he had to do something first. ‘Don’t be coward’ he thought. So he got his phone.

“Hey!” Luhan heard Minseok say as soon as the call was connected.

“Hello Minseok, how are you?”

“Good good, just kinda busy right now. We have customers. Is there anything the matter?” Minseok said. Luhan could hear people talking behind him.

“I’m sorry for interrupting. Hmmm just, Yixing wanted to invite you for dinner tonight. So I called to ask.”

“Oh oh! That sounds nice. Tell Yixing I will come!” Minseok said with a little laugh and Luhan blushed for some reason.

Truth is, Luhan had wanted to ask Minseok the same question. When Yixing asked him last night if they could see Minseok again he couldn’t let the chance slip.

“Great I will send you the address. See you around 9.” Luhan smiled into the phone.

“Yes, bye Luhan.”

Needless to say Luhan was thrilled. Minseok was the first “stranger” to come to their house. The only people that visited where Luhan’s parents and Baekhyun. This was a huge step for them, one Luhan seemed willing to take. “Hey Xing Xing guess what!” he said as he went to dress Yixing for their shopping trip.

This time, apart from the usual things on their list, they bought ingredients to make a cake and enough meat for a dinner of three. Yixing had asked him to make baozi so they bought ingredients for this too. Yixing even bought Minseok a strawberry cupcake because it reminded him of Minseok’s hair.

Luhan made sure to do a last stop before they returned home. He stopped at a nearby flower shop, letting Yixing chose the flowers he liked. Lilies, tulips and daisies were now decorating the coffee table. Luhan wanted to make a good impression.

After they ate their lunch, he put Yixing to sleep and cleaned the house before finishing up a project he had for work. When Yixing woke up they started cooking.

Yixing was an excellent assistant chef, giving Luhan the ingredients and playing with the extra dough with his little hands. Once the cake was finished the kitchen was an utter mess, so Luhan had to clean again. The good thing was that the cake looked really good.

He had to give Yixing a bath since the toddler had ended up with dough caked in his hair. After the bath, Yixing asked Luhan to help him clean his room since he wanted to show Minseok his stuffed animals. He made them sit on his bed. Mr. Unicorn, who they had found earlier that day in the bakery, standing in the middle of them all.

When the doorbell rang Yixing ran to the door, trying to reach the door knob. “Minseok gege is here! Minseok gege is here!!” he yelled.

Luhan smiled and went to help him open the door. As soon as the door was open Yixing reached to hug Minseok, who bended to be at his height.
“Hello Xing Xing how are you?” he asked while ruffling the toddler’s hair.

“I’m great gege. Now come I want to show you my room!” He freed himself from Minseok’s hug and grabbed his hand, making an effort to pull Minseok towards his room. Minseok laughed and followed him, giving a smile to Luhan. Luhan smiled back.

“….This is Mr. Baozi that you gave me and this is Mr. Unicorn gege we found him! I got him back!” Luhan heard Yixing say as he entered his room. They were sitting on the floor, Yixing on Minseok’s lap as he explained all the names of his toys. It was a beautiful thing to watch and it made Luhan feel a warmth he had never felt.

“Nice to meet you Mr. Unicorn I have heard so much about you,” Minseok said waving his arm.

“Yixing cleaned his room to show it to you, you know. He has been waiting for you all day. He missed you,” Luhan said.

“Really Xing Xing? Well should I tell you a secret? I missed you too,” Minseok said and Yixing giggled.

They got up and headed out of the room. As Minseok passed in front of Luhan he whispered “Was it only Yixing?” and then followed the toddler to the dining table.

Luhan was flustered for a moment but managed to stay composed - despite feeling like his face was on fire.

Minseok helped Yixing into his highchair and sat next to him. “Do you need any help?” he asked as Luhan brought the plates.

“No no don’t worry I will be back in a sec.”

When everything was on the table they started eating. Luhan was helping Yixing with his food instead of eating his own. As he fed the child he had time to actually observe Minseok. His hair was styled upwards and he was dressed casually, a grey hoodie and a pair of jeans, probably coming right after work. He kind of looked like a little squirrel the way he was eating. So cute. Luhan wanted to giggle at the sight but Yixing made an annoyed noise as Luhan hadn’t given him a bite yet.

“Gege do you like baozi?” Yixing asked, his mouth full.

“Xing Xing don’t talk while you are eating,” Luhan scolded him.

“Baozi?” Minseok made the cutest, confused face. His eyes became so big it was cute. “Oh this? It’s the first time I am eating it but I love it!” he smiled and pinched Yixing’s cheek. The toddler giggled.

“Let me feed him now. You haven’t touched your food, it will get cold.” Minseok turned to Luhan.

“Are you sure?”

“Yes, Luhan just eat. Everything is delicious. It’s a shame if you let your food get cold.”

“Thank you,” Luhan muttered. He felt flustered but dug in.

It felt nice having Minseok there with them, having someone else sitting in the table with them, taking care of Yixing.

They finished dinner. Minseok took Yixing and sat on the living room while Luhan was cleaning the table.

“Daddy can I give gege his present?” Yixing came running to the kitchen.

“Of course baby, just be careful not to drop it.”

He took the pink cupcake in his little hands and walked slowly to the living room. “Gege close your eyes!” he yelled.

When he reached Minseok he poked his arm “Open them!”

“Oh! Is this for me? Thank you Xing Xing! I really love sweets.” Minseok hugged Yixing and helped him place the cupcake on the table. “Do you want to eat it together?” he offered.

“No gege this is yours I have another one to eat. Daddy where is the cake?”

“Here you are.” Luhan walked into the room, placing the cake in front of Minseok and Yixing. “Yixing helped me make this… for you too.”

“Oh, you two are spoiling me!” Minseok laughed. “Let’s eat.”

They ate their cake, Luhan and Minseok falling into conversation while Yixing played in front of them. At some point Yixing crawled on Minseok’s lap and after a while he fell asleep.

“I think it’s time to go,” Minseok whispered, trying not to wake Yixing up.

“Let me take him from you,” Luhan offered.

“No no don’t worry. I will put him to sleep so you can go and wash the dishes,” Minseok said as he stood up and turned to go to Yixing’s room. Luhan watched them, grinning.

“This was nice,” Minseok said as he entered the kitchen. “Thank you for inviting me over. I had a really nice time with you two.” He scratched his head shyly.

“It was a pleasure to have you here with us. Yixing really likes to have you around. He doesn’t stop talking about you,” Luhan said genuinely.

“And you?” Minseok asked, a definite blush on his cheeks.

“Well me –“ at this moment Minseok’s phone rang and he quickly excused himself to answer it before it could wake up Yixing.

“Sorry it was my cousin I have to go home,” he said as he returned to the kitchen. “Thanks again for tonight.”

Luhan escorted him to the door. “Goodnight Minseok.”

“Goodnight Luhan.”


Even though they couldn’t really meet Minseok during weekdays due to Luhan’s work, Yixing never stopped talking about him. Not that it bothered Luhan. He had caught himself daydreaming about pink locks and almond like eyes several times at work.

He and Minseok had exchanges some messages a few days ago, when Minseok had texted him:

Hey! How are you? I was wondering if Yixing is having fun with his new toy.

To which he replied with a:

Hi there...He loves it! He doesn’t go anywhere without it!

They talked some more until Luhan had to excuse himself for a meeting. They talked about casual, everyday life things.

At the end of that week Luhan decided to follow Baekhyun’s advice and invite Minseok to a football match. He partially did it just to make Baekhyun stop pestering his ear all day long about how he shouldn’t let the opportunity go. But only partially.

Minseok had agreed and now Luhan and Yixing were about to spend their Sunday morning on a football field. They were a little early so Minseok found them playing around with the ball. Or more accurately Yixing running around with the ball and Luhan telling him to be careful not to fall every other second. He smiled.

“Morning”, he said, making Luhan jump.

“You startled me,” Luhan said clutching his heart. “Morning”

“Shall we start?” Minseok asked, tying his shoelaces tighter.

“Sure.” Luhan smiled once again and they headed towards Yixing, who squealed as he saw Minseok.

With the toddler there they couldn’t really play, so they just started giving small passes between them, letting Yixing run around them trying to catch the ball. Luhan was content seeing them getting along so well. Minseok running around with Yixing or pretend falling to make the kid laugh. He was watching them giggling and rolling on the grass, football long forgotten.

Yixing’s stomach growled as he was sitting on Minseok’s lap, resting after running around the field.

“Should we get something to eat?” Minseok asked him, checking his watch. It was already noon.

“Yes gege let’s eat!” the toddler said, trying to climb on Minseok’s head. Minseok laughed and carried him to Luhan, who was waiting for them by the bench.
“We decided to eat,” Minseok announced as the reached him.

“Ah really?” Luhan said getting up. “Are you ready to go Yixing?”

“No need!” Minseok interrupted. “I brought some food with me. We can eat here”, he offered. He opened a bag and handed Luhan an old table cloth to lay down on the grass.

They sat under the foliage at the corner of the field and Minseok placed some rice, kimchi, kimbap and other side dishes on the cloth. They ate silently with only Yixing getting up once or twice just to make a circle around them and sit back again. It left like a family picnic.

Yixing was fast to fall asleep right after finishing his food (albeit likely from all the running before the meal). They made him a self-made bed with the cloth and their jackets. It was still early in the afternoon and they decided to play some more, just the two of them this time. They went just a few meters away from the toddler. Enough away to have space without disturbing his sleep or accidently hitting him with the ball yet close enough to be there if he woke up or needed anything.

Now that it was just the two of them, the match became a little more heated. Bodies collapsing against the other, fighting for possession of the ball. Hands touching each other’s body in an attempt to defend their space. Minseok’s breathe ghosting against Luhan’s neck as he tried to steal the ball.

When they were both too exhausted to keep playing, they collapsed next to the sleeping Yixing. Chests moving rhythmically with every heavy breath they took.

“This was nice!” Minseok said. “I haven’t played like this since high school.”

“I agree. It was refreshing,” Luhan breathed. “We should probably go. It’s getting late,” he said as he stared at the setting sun.

“Yeah let’s go now before it gets too cold for Yixing.” Minseok agreed and rolled over to get a better look at the toddler. “He is still asleep.” He smiled.

Luhan smiled too.

“Thank you for the food and the game Minseok. I had a great time,” Luhan said as he laid the still sleeping Yixing in his car seat.

“No, thank you Luhan for letting me be a part of this”, Minseok replied, motioning at all of them with his hands. “Thank you for inviting me to spend time with your family,” he said and took a step close to Luhan. Their eyes locked together. They stared at each other for a brief moment and Minseok leaned to plant a kiss to Luhan’s cheek. “Thanks again. See you around” he said and left, cheeks hot red.

Luhan slowly rose his hand to touch the spot on his cheek that was still burning from Minseok’s touch. He grinned like an idiot at Minseok’s retreating back.

“Daddy?” he heard Yixing say. “Daddy I’m cold”

“Ah yes Xing Xing we are going home now. Go back to sleep,” he answered and closed the door sliding behind the stirring wheel.

That night he slept with a smile plastered on his face.


Luhan was a father, but Luhan was also a 27 year old man who once a week went out with his friends. Every Wednesday his parents would keep Yixing for the night and Luhan would come and take him in the morning to drive him to day care. It was usually just him and Baekhyun, sometimes Chanyeol would join, Baekhyun’s childhood friend.

Today they are at a new club that Chanyeol recently started working at. It is nice with minimal décor, packed with young men and women dancing along to the music Chanyeol was playing. They sat at the table in front of the DJ booth so they could talk to Chanyeol between numbers. A few drinks later though Luhan regretted how noisy their choice of seats was.

Luhan sipped his Jack Daniel’s, chatting with Baekhyun, hearing him go on and on about how thankful Luhan should be. A few hours ago Baekhyun had apparently “saved Luhan’s life” by “halting his fashion terrorist tendencies”.

“I swear to god Luhan you would be hopeless without me. This parenting thing got you out of fashion.” Baekhyun had bemoaned, eying up Luhan’s outfit for their night of clubbing.

“I still don’t understand why you have a problem with my clothes - but since you go out a lot more than me I will let you choose whatever you want.”

“Great! Now let’s get you something hot to wear. Hopefully you will finally get laid tonight, I’m starting to worry about you.” And with that Baekhyun dove into Luhan’s closet, dropping and picking clothes here and there all while ignoring Luhan’s disagreement about Baekhyun’s opinion of his personal life.

It was true. He hadn’t had in…..scratch that. He can’t remember so let’s not go there. But he doesn’t think he is that desperate. Or is he?

Luhan finds himself dressed in a navy blue button down shirt, black tight jeans and a grey coat (which he insisted of wearing because it’s freaking cold outside, he won’t get sick for Baekhyun. He will take it off when they reach the club). His hair is styled upwards in a kind of messy way, but he had to admit he looked nice. A few girls had even given him suggestive looks as they stepped into the club, but Luhan wasn’t interested.

Time went by, drinking and chatting. Baekhyun had gone to dance once or twice but Luhan preferred to stay there, drinking his drink and enjoying the music.

“Pff I need some air! Hey Chanyeol open the air con or something I’m dying in here!” Baekhyun yelled to Chanyeol as he sprawled at their table.

Luhan laughed at him but his smile froze when he saw Baekhyun’s eyes. The man was staring somewhere behind Luhan, a love-struck look on his face.

“What? What happened?” Luhan asked him.

“Oh my..” Baekhyun muttered still looking behind Luhan “Oh they are coming this way!!” he said and tried to hide a blush.

“Who is coming?” Luhan tried to turn around as he felt a hand to his shoulder.

“Hey Luhan!” he heard the sweetest voice next to his ear and suddenly it was like no one else was there with them. He turned slowly. “Hi Minseok! Didn’t expect to see you here.”

“Well sometimes I party too.” The other chuckled. “This is my cousin Jongdae by the way. I have talked to you about him”

“Ah yes of course! Nice to meet you! I am Luhan.” He shook the man’s hand. He looked nice.

He felt Baekhyun kicking his leg under the table. “Oh sorry. This is Baekhyun. Baekhyun this is Minseok and Jongdae.”

“Nice to meet you,” Baekhyun said holding Jongdae’s hand a little longer than needed.

“Oh we are sorry we didn’t want to inter –“Minseok started.

“You don’t interrupt anything! We are here for our friend. The guy who is currently hurting your ears with his music.”

Baekhyun spoke, cutting off anything else Luhan may have to say. “Please sit with us.”

About an hour later Luhan finds himself not drunk, but in that state that he feels free to do anything. After Minseok and Jongdae arrived they ordered another round of drinks. Luhan’s third. Then came the shots, two rounds, with Chanyeol footing the bill. Luhan hadn’t had this particular kind before. “’Hot Damn’ shots” Chanyeol had said, but they were tasty and strong.

Soon Baekhyun and Jongdae were nowhere to be found. Somewhere lost between the sea of dancing people.

“Wanna dance?” Minseok whispered in Luhan’s ear, before pulling him to the dance floor.

The song that was playing, apparently named Playboy, had that sensual essence that helped the tension between them rise. Luhan finally really looked at Minseok. He was perfect from head to toe. Black leather pants, a white sleeveless button down shirt with black details at his shoulders. His hair were now light brown, styled to perfection. There was a thin layer of eyeliner on his eyes, making them more piercing and charming.

Luhan was staring. Just staring as Minseok’s body was moving shamelessly. ‘Hot damn those body rolls’ he thought as Minseok’s hips made another swing.
They were close. Too close and Luhan could see the droplets of Minseok’s sweat running down his face. He was hot and Luhan felt the heat overwhelming him.

He felt Minseok’s hands meet his side, sliding up and down, following the rhythm of the music. ‘Playboy’ Minseok mouthed as the song ended and Luhan couldn’t help but lean closer. Their lips brushed and all Minseok needed to do was give a look and Luhan was running out of the club with him.

They reached Minseok’s apartment, a few blocks away from the club. Luhan felt so by the way Minseok took control and lead the way.

Once inside Minseok pinned him to the door and brought their faces as close as he could without kissing. His breath ghosted against Luhan’s skin.

Luhan took short and shallow breaths, letting his eyes fall from Minseok’s eyes to his lips. He leaned forward. After that everything was a blur of passionate kisses, fight for dominance and pleasure.


Luhan was awoken the next day by the sound of his phone alarm, sunlight hitting his eyes. He blinked, trying to divest his surroundings. This wasn’t his home and the pounding headache indicated that last night had been wild.

He felt someone moving next to him. He turned to face a sleeping Minseok, lips slightly parted as he breathed in and out. The sight was too lovely. ‘’ Luhan thought as he took notice of their bodies and the scattered clothes. His alarm clock rang again and he rushed to get up and get dressed. He would deal with what happened latter, now he had to go get Yixing.

He hoped Minseok wouldn’t get hurt waking up alone. He didn’t want to hurt him and he already felt like a jerk leaving like that. He closed the door slowly and left.

Minseok woke up two hours later to an empty cold mattress next to him. He sighed and buried his face to his hands. Why did he thought it could work out?


Some days passed and Luhan hadn’t stop whining to Baekhyun about losing the greatest opportunity to be with a man he liked.

Baekhyun told him that he was an idiot, that all he had to do is find the balls to go and talk to Minseok instead of pestering his friends with his problematic love life. Then Baekhyun went on about how great and perfect and funny and smart Jongdae is. Because while Luhan was the jerk who slept with Minseok and left without calling again, Baekhyun and Jongdae were a thing now. Luhan was on the verge of snapping if he heard about Baekhyun’s new boyfriend for the millionth time.


It was Wednesday again and Luhan was running late from work. An urgent meeting with a new potential client had him calling Baekhyun and asking him to take Yixing from the day care until he was done. Baekhyun said yes, like he always did.

“I am off from work, where are you? I will come and get Yixing now,” he said as soon as Baekhyun answered his phone.

“Oh I am at Jongdae’s store. Yixing is playing with Minseok.”

“WHAT?” Luhan screamed, breathless as he reached his car in the parking lot. “Why did you go there?” How could Baekhyun do something like this to him?
He couldn’t face Minseok. Not yet. Not with Yixing there.

“Well I wanted to be with Jongdae and Yixing asked me to visit his Minseok ge. Killing two birds with one stone.”

Luhan just rolled his eyes and ended the call. He hoped Minseok wasn’t working today.



But of course Minseok was working today and Yixing had spent all afternoon with him, playing and laughing and eating and running around the store until they fell asleep. Yixing was tucked in Minseok’s arms, the same way he liked to fall asleep in Luhan’s.

Luhan passes Baekhyun and Jongdae, who are too engrossed to each other to notice him, and headed to the little office at the back of the store. Minseok and Yixing were in the office and Luhan’s heart did a flip at the sight of them. He wanted to squeal at how cute and peaceful they looked sleeping. Their matching snoring was music to Luhan’s ears. He wishes he could come back to this every day. He wishes, he wishes.

He gives them one last look and leans forward calmly to poke Minseok’s arm. He didn’t want to startle him or Yixing. After a few tries Minseok wakes up, blinking adorably in confusion.

“Luhan what..? Oh we fell asleep. I am sorry Baekhyun just told me to keep an eye on him. I didn’t know if you had a problem with that.” Minseok apologized, feeling guilty.

In the days since he had last seen Luhan, when he had been so coldly left alone, he hadn’t really wanted to see or talk to the other man. When Baekhyun showed up and asked him to watch Yixing he kept thinking of what Luhan would say.

“It’s ok,” Luhan assure him. “I know he is safe with you. I’m glad you were the one taking care of him.”

Minseok smiled at this. A smile that cause a whole lot of feelings for Luhan. “Did he eat anything?” he asked, trying to sound calm.

“I gave him some rice that we had here. I didn’t want to leave him alone with those two. I’m sorry I probably should have given him something better to eat.” Minseok apologized once again.

“Don’t worry, if Yixing was still hungry he wouldn’t let you do anything until he got food.” Luhan laughed.

He moved forward to take Yixing from Minseok. They tried not to wake the toddler up, which led them to angle a bit too close. For a brief moment their eyes met and the world froze for Luhan.

So close. They were so close and Minseok’s eyes were luring him closer and closer. Just before their lips could touch Yixing shifted between their arms. Minseok eased the toddler into Luhan’s arms and cleared his throat. This was complicated.

They heard Jongdae calling them from the main store and went to meet him. A chance of talking and clearing things up had already gone. They had to talk, and soon.

The rest of the week was nerve-racking, each one of them having Baekhyun or Jongdae glued to their sides explaining how important it was for them to talk. They had managed to exchange some messages. Small ones about insignificant things. But they did set a meeting for later that week.




They had to talk. That was definite. After what happened they had to make things clear.

Luhan didn’t want to do anything that would affect Yixing and Minseok knew that. He didn’t want to hurt the little one either.

When the day for their meeting rolled around, Luhan was too nervous. He had been pacing around the living for the last half hour unable to stay still. *ding dong* He froze.

He slowly approached the door. Behind the door was an equally nervous Minseok.

“Daddy who is it?” Yixing emerged from his room. “Oh Minseok ge! Are you here to play?”

“No Xing Xing. Not today. I am here to talk with your dad. Maybe we can play later.” Minseok offered, hoping that he wouldn’t have to disappoint the kid.

“Yixing can you go play to your room until then?” Luhan asked.

“Ok daddy.” The toddler agreed easily, he was always so obedient.


They sat at the couch, keeping a distance between them.

“So,” Luhan cleared his throat, “How are you?”

“Good.” Minseok was too quick to respond, he was too nervous. “You?”

“Good, good.” Luhan took a deep breath but before he could say anything Minseok started.

“Look Luhan” he hesitated for a brief moment “I know it’s kind of complicated but I really like you and I really like Yixing and anything I have done I really wanted to do it because I have feelings for you and I hope – I wish you feel the same because I don’t want to leave you or Yixing. I love him as my own child and I want to be near you. And all those weeks we have spent together, the three of us, are really important to me, I don’t want to hurt Yixing. I love you, from the first time I met you on the bus. I –“he didn’t know what else to say, he just looked Luhan in the eyes expecting an answer, anything.

Luhan was confused, shocked. He hadn’t expected Minseok to say that. He kept staring at him blankly.

“Please say something.” Minseok had started to shake, worry written all over his beautiful face.

Luhan didn’t want to make him feel like that. No he wanted to see Minseok smile. Because he loved Minseok’s smile. He loved how he could see his gums and his eyes became small crescents every time he smiled.

“I love you too,” he whispered.

“What?” Minseok asked not sure if what he had heard was right.

“I said I love you too.” Luhan said it confidently this time, returning Minseok’s stare and smiling. He took Minseok’s hand and dragged him closer. He caressed his cheek, his eyes never leaving Minseok’s. “I love you too and I want you to stay with us. I want you to be part of our family. I want you to be around all the time.”

Minseok let out a sigh and smiled back. Luhan leaned forward so their foreheads were touching. Minseok held Luhan’s hand with his own.

“Will you stay with us Minseok?” he whispered.

“I will.” Minseok said and closed the gap, kissing Luhan.

“So can I call you daddy now?” Yixing asked from his door frame, looking expectant.

Luhan smiled at Yixing’s reaction but he didn’t know how to actually respond to that.

But then Minseok replied “Yes I think you can call me daddy now too.” He smiled his gummy smile and slipped his hand in Luhan’s, squeezing it a little.
Yixing giggled and ran to hug both of them. They picked him up and placed him between them. “Now my family is complete” Yixing said hold them tighter with his little hands.

Luhan looked Minseok in the eyes and smiled as well, Minseok returning his action with a genuinely happy smile.