Float Away

Traditions

Kyuhyun woke up by the sound of his phone's alarm clock. A groan left his lips, slowly opening his eyes and staring up at the white ceiling. A small smile crept on his face when he remembered what day it was. Their anniversary. 

He didn't bother sending a text to Jongwoon since he knew that he'd be coming. He always makes sure that he wouldn't miss that day.

A soft sigh left his lips as he stared his reflection on the mirror. He had dark circles under his eyes; and though it wasn't that noticable, he put on some concealer Heechul gave him to cover it up. He wouldn't want Jongwoon to get upset. 

A midnight blue dress shirt and white jeans. Jongwoon's favorite outfit of his. 

It was already noon, and he was getting late. Kyuhyun hurried to their usual meeting place at the park nearby. He'd compliment Jongwoon right away, and the latter would flash a smile that would make his eyes crinkle. Something Kyuhyun had always loved about him.

He has the whole day planned out: First they'd go get coffee and perhaps cake when Jongwoon feels like going for sweets. Since it was a special day, their anniversary, Kyuhyun bought two slices of Jongwoon's favorite cake. They'd clink their cups of coffee together and laugh when some of it spills on the table. Kyuhyun would wipe the table clean and drink coffee.

"You've always loved this coffee shop, huh?" Kyuhyun smiled, leaning against the table so he could wipe away some of the cream above Jongwoon's lips. 

Second, they'd go to the fair nearby and Kyuhyun would play on the booths for a good hour before winning a prize for Jongwoon: a cute little turtle for Melo and Kkoming to play with. 

Jongwoon's voice came out like a whisper, and Kyuhyun flashed a grin; saying that winning a stuffed animal is the least he could do. 

Third, they'd ride on the attractions, both of them yelling at the top of their lungs and laughing at themselves. Kyuhyun ignored the stares the children gave him when he got off. 

"That was awesome, huh?" Kyuhyun asked as he held onto Jongwoon's hand, while his other hand held onto the blue balloon he bought for him. They spotted the Ferris Wheel in the distance and ran over to it. 

Then they'd kiss when the cart stops on the very top of the Ferris Wheel. Their lips brushing against each other's, and Kyuhyun had to hold onto the balloon tighter, afraid that it might fly away. It still wasn't the time to do so. They still have an hour left. 

After they ride the Ferris Wheel, they'd buy hotdogs and eat them while sitting on top of the trunk of Kyuhyun's car. 

"Not that hungry?" Kyuhyun asked, eyeing the hotdog he bought for Jongwoon. He'd then wipe his mouth before nuzzling on his hair, whispering sweet words as the night breeze sends shivers down his spine. 

"Ah, it's almost time." Kyuhyun said, hopping down on the ground and throwing the remaining of their food and drinks in the trash before getting inside the car and driving away. 

He can't help but feel sad that the day was almost over. Kyuhyun glanced at the backseat where the blue balloon was floating from side to side then focused back on the road. He has to get there before midnight. It was their tradition after all.

The walk from the parking lot to the park felt long. His hand felt cold as he held onto the string of the balloon. And after a few minutes, he was there. 

He stared down at the gravestone that had the name "Kim Jongwoon" engraved on it. And the sadness he has been trying so hard to hide all day came out along with his sobbing. 

Kyuhyun suddenly remembered how the day went. All the stares people gave him for looking like a madman, out on a date with some imaginary person. Maybe he was a madman. 

He doesn't care though. It was Jongwoon after all.

"Happy Anniversary," his voice was trembling as he gripped on the balloon. Kyuhyun crouched down in front of Jongwoon's gravestone, placing down a blue and red rose beside each other on it. 

"There's no one here except us, so I guess it's okay for me to cry." Kyuhyun laughed at himself, his hand tracing over the engravement of Jongwoon's name. 

He wasn't sure how long he had been there, crying. But afterwards, when he was ready to go home; he looked up at the night sky before slowly releasing the blue balloon. 

And as he watched it float away, he was sure he felt Jongwoon's hands on his shoulders, and his voice whispering the words "I love you."

———

This was hella short, and I'm sorry. I only wrote this in like less than an hour? Anyhoo. This was inspired by the MV of Heechul & Jungmo's Narcissus  Comments are appreciated~