Buzzes and Eyebrows

Different Circles

 

 


         Lee Hayi gives another side glance on the glass in the studio room.

 

         For the first time in three months as a radio host, she feels like a fish in a tank because of the gaze he holds on her.

 

          "------You just listened to Indiginis' remix of Tragedy by DIGY featuring the soulful vocals of Kirsch. If you guys want more of this, you can just hit us up on our message boards and other SNS. You know I'll be more than happy to indulge you."

 

           He was doing nothing wrong, really. Observing how the program runs in real time should be the most normal task for a newly recruited writer.

 

           "It's Friday night once again, dear night owls, and we're about to start our lounging by discussing one of our favorite--------or least topics to talk about: pet peeves."

 

            It's not that she hasn't felt self-conscious before. But Prof. Lee always just left her to do what she deems fit for the program. And as for Lee Seunghoon, well.

 

            She spots the said man momentarily causing the writer with parted hair to double over in laughter with something he most probably said.

 

             She rolls her eyes at her workmate's antics before playing some recorded advertisements.

 

              She absently hums the catchy jingle in her head for a few moments when she goes over the list of selected entries to read for tonight.

 

              Oh, hello.

 

               She doesn't miss a beat when she flips her microphone live, and all thoughts of being uncomfortable fly out through the sound waves.

 

               "Tonight's selected pet peeve is from psychhip." The radio host gives an amused raise of her eyebrows. " 'Public display of affection.', they wrote."

 

             One of the most challenging but equally fun parts of having an entertainment job that is entirely auditory is having to mutate your voice in a way that'd give justice to all the feelings involved.

 

              " 'Before anyone says anything, let me get things clear. I am in a loving relationship and I consider myself to be an open-minded person. That being said, I can't stand it when a couple starts each other's faces like leeches in broad daylight.' "

 

               Lee Hayi grins as if Christmas has come early and she's too preoccupied to notice the equally amused gazes from the young men across her.

 

               " 'I am in no way against holding hands, hugging and arms around shoulders-----but heavy petting in parks where there are families----? Think of the children!' "

 

               Her audience doesn't see it, but she's rolling her eyes to the back of her head for emphasis then lets her own chuckles start resonating through her microphone. She shifts to a more comfortable position on her chair in the same manner she shifts back to her own intonation of voice.

 

                "Thank you for sending in your sentiments, dear psychhip.", she then says, placing the tablet back on the desk.

 

               "Now I'm not going to say if I'm for it or not, because I'll leave it to you guys to discuss it and possibly troll each other in the message boards." Hayi reaches to pick up the nearest pen and points it straight in the air.

 

              Sometimes it helps to picture your faceless audience members.

 

             "But let me tell you something funny I've noticed about PDA." Hayi starts, unconsciously twirling her pen in between her fingers.

 

             She misses the shared questioning looks between her workmates behind the studio glass.

 

            "There are just some couples who look like they're part of some soap opera doing it, and then there are those couples who look absolutely hideous when they're all over each other." Hayi's eyes are just as dead serious as her voice.

 

             This time she catches Seunghoon letting out an exasperated breath, his head resting against the palm of his hand.

 

             Nam Taehyun just stares.

 

             "But--------leeches are leeches... and couples are still couples." She gently drops her pen, another chuckle giving out from her chapped pink lips.

 

      "I dunno about you guys, but I guess what's comforting about this difference is the feelings involved. I perfectly understand you though, psychhip, I'd be uncomfortable too if I see someone doing the nasty in Namsan Tower." Hayi tucks a strands of hair behind her ear, her tone of voice transitioning to something gentle.

 

       Her eyes look as if they're also searching for her absent audience's expressions.

 

           "Love makes us all into a bunch of blind idiots. So we aren't even aware of how we look to other people. Hideous, or soap-opera worthy, though, it doesn't change the fact that we all want to show something off... Our significant others, included." Hayi finishes smoothly, having turned a knob to increase the volume of Frank Sinatra's Under My Skin.

 

         She gave out a sigh of relief as she sees the 'Live' sign on the corner of the room shut off. She pulls her headphones down to her neck, along with her already messed up messy bun.

 

         Seunghoon isn't there when she refocuses her eyes through the studio glass.

 

          She bites her lip.

 

          Nam Taehyun is still staring.

 

          Her curiosity piques when he holds up a paper for her to see.


***

 


        "Well, I don't think so."


        "Things like that are just open endless arguments. People get easily offended these days."


         "With what?"

 

        "Feminism is one thing, like gender roles and such."


        "How is answering a question about preferring whether to live one life worth a thousand years or ten lives worth a hundred years open to argument?"


        "Religion. Unfortunately, humans will always be overly sensitive."

 


        The radio host can feel a migraine coming when she sees the writer purse his lips in response. She bites her lip for the umpteenth time to prevent an annoyed sigh spilling out.

 

         He had insisted that they start a meeting as soon as they can, since it would leave them plenty of time to conjure an outline for the next following week. Hayi only agreed because curiosity at the time being had won over.

 

 

         But they've been brainstorming since the program ended, and they only found that they have nothing to agree on.

 


          She can appreciate that Nam Taehyun makes it a point to argue in a polite tone, but if anything, it just irked her to no end.

 

           Hayi steals another glance over.

 

           ...A taut posture and scrunched thick eyebrows. And a paper outline of concepts that are hardly revised.

 

           She feels another sigh coming.

 

           The growing fatigue isn't helping either.

 

           And this is only the first meeting.

 

           "Hey, guys. We should just call it a night before I suffocate from the tension."

 

           Both their necks strain to find the arrival of Seunghoon who had his arms raised in mock pleading, and sits unceremoniously on the chair nearest Nam Taehyun.

 

           Hayi replies first with an apologetic smile, but it was the journalism student who spoke first.

 

          "I'm sorry, I wore you out. I tend to be a real nitpicker about these things." he softly declares, one hand running through his black hair exasperatedly.

 

           "Hey, it's okay, Nam. I can speak for the both of us here that we appreciate and welcome the enthusiasm. Besides, nothing fuels these things up better than some good ol' passion, right, Hayi?" Seunghoon pointedly turns to the girl who was distractedly reaching for her buzzing phone. He lightly kicks her foot under the desk.

 

           Looking back up, she immediately raises her eyebrows at the expectant look of the engineering student. "Please, Seunghoon. If anyone should be saying anything about passion, it wouldn't be you, audio man-who-leaves-all-the-actual-content-to-me."

 

          Seunghoon pouts.

 

          And to their surprise, they heard the tinkling of laughter from the lanky male.

 

          Hayi couldn't resist a smile to surface. She'd never admit it out loud, but this is most probably the third or fourth time she's thankful for her workmate's ability to ease off social straining situations.

 

          "Let's take it easy tonight, shall we? We have plenty of time to brush things up." Seunghoon reaches over to pat the other man's shoulder, giving a good-natured smile.

 

          "...Thanks." the newly appointed writer says, smiling back at the both of them, "And you guys can just call me Taehyun."

 

***

 

 

           The crisp air from outside stung their lungs the moment they open the studio door. Taehyun tightens his burgundy scarf around his neck and Seunghoon visibly shivers, pulling his red beanie over his ears.

 

           There is a momentary pause where they just stand there, waiting for one or the other to initiate a proper manner to separate.

 

          Then Hayi feels her smartphone vibrating once again, but resists from pulling it out from her hoodie pocket.

 

          "You know what we need to do?" Seunghoon looks over the pair beside him while trying his hardest to control his teeth from chattering.

 

          "What?"

 

          "Bond."

 

          "How do you propose we do that?" Nam Taehyun raises his thick eyebrows.

 

          Another buzz. Hayi ghosts her hand over her pocket. Strange. Nobody normally contacts her this late.

 

         "Over some grilled beef and alcohol like any normal hot-blooded university student. Duh."

 

         "Sure-----I'm game for anything that'll make things less awkward." Taehyun smiles in mirth, nodding.

 

      Both young men turn to the short brunette expectantly.

 

        "Typical. Whenever I invite a night cap, you refuse, but if you do, I never have a choice." Hayi shakes her head, sighing, her breath going up as a hot mist from her lips. "But, yeah sure. Friday next week?"

 

        Seunghoon grins with folded arms. "Oh don't pretend. I know you were pretty much thinking the same thing."

 

        Hayi clicks her tongue in annoyance because it's true. A buzz involving liquor with a satisfied stomach is always a perfect backdrop to dispel any pretenses.

 

       Heck. That's how she got to know Prof. Lee and Seunghoon. Might as well make it a traditional welcoming ceremony.

 

       "Shut up." She replies.

 

       "How eloquent." Seunghoon moves to ruffle her hair. "Whelp. This old man needs some shut eye. You heading to the bus stop, Taehyun?"

 

      Taehyun pushes his fists deeper into his trench coat. "Nope. I live around the east side of the campus."

 

     "You two are heading the same way then." Seunghoon gives a small salute. "It's nice meeting you, Taehyun. I'll see you guys tomorrow night."

 

     Taehyun gives a smile and a friendly wave. "Take care."

 

     Seunghoon scoffs. "You too. Especially around her."

 

     Hayi grits her teeth, "Goodnight, Seunghoon."

 

     Seunghoon laughs, already half skipping towards the opposite direction. "See what I mean?"

 

    Hayi must have sighed for at least a hundred times tonight and this would be another one added.

 

     A few moments pass before she sees the journalism student tilt his head towardsthe direction for the campus, a sheepish smile on his face. "After you?"

 

    Crap. She's learned not to mind it, but small talk with a stranger is always hard.

 

 

    She gives an amused smile before walking beside Taehyun, her hands finding warmth in the long sleeves of her hoodie. "I'm sorry about Seunghoon, he's always just a bit too loud."

 


   "Nah. I'm actually quite envious." Taehyun replies, his mouth hidden behind his wool scarf, but his crinkling eyes don't hide his amused smile.

 

 

    She laughs, "Erm... I don't think I can handle another Seunghoon. So which dorm are you staying at?"

 

 

    When they pass by the murals, her eyes automatically land on her favorite, the one explicitly vandalized with the phrase, 'Youth is overrated'.

 

 

     "I'm in the dorm beside the Yang annex." Taehyun answers matter-of-factly.

 

 

     Strange. She passes by that dorm almost every day. She would have recognized him and his odd caterpillar eyebrows if that were the case.

 

 

     "Wait, what? Isn't that too far from the Mass Communications department?", she says, glancing up at the tall man. The campus streets are well lit enough for Hayi to notice her companion's reddening nose.

 

     Taehyun shrugs, replying with a brief, "The admin messed up. How about you?"

 

      "I'm in the dorm a few blocks away from the annex. Corner of Peach street and Jade."

 

      "That's quite some distance away from the radio station." Taehyun states, surprised. "Seunghoon just lets you walk alone this late?"

 

     "Mm, yeah? There's no reason why he shouldn't. I'm used to it." Hayi shrugs.

 

     She sees him turn to her in full attention, slightly perplexed.

 

     A short silence follows.

 

     "But you two have been close even before the radio station, right?" Taehyun suddenly asks, genuinely interested.

 

    "Nope. Just met him a few months ago myself. If he and I appear close, it's only cause his personality makes him easy to get along with.", Hayi replies as they turn another corner. Her fingers are itching to reach for her smartphone to check her messages. Only three more blocks before her own.

 

     The male must have been caught off guard, because Nam Taehyun raises a hand out from the warmth of his trench coat's pocket, and hesitates, shaking his head at the frank girl.

 

     Hayi raises an eye brow, "What?"

 

     "Aren't you friends?"

 

     ...and there's the label.

 

     "Well. Workmates, more like it." Hayi starts, animatedly gesturing with her hands, "Seunghoon and I mostly interact around the station after all and it's never really outside the purposes of work."

 

     Taehyun stops in his steps altogether and Hayi looks back at him, confusion plain on her face.

 

     "Seriously, wha---------"

 

     The tall young man heartily laughs the loudest one he has had this whole night, and still gives a teasing grin even when Hayi sends him a look to let him know that she thinks the male is insane.

 

     "You serious?" Taehyun catches a breath before half jogging to catch up to his companion's pace.

 

     "Why wouldn't I be?" Hayi haughtily asks, scrunching her eyebrows together.

 

     "I wasn't just envious of Seunghoon. I was envious of the both of you."

 

    "Why?"

 

    "I was envious of how close you two already are in a short matter of months." Taehyun supplies, taking out his hands from his coat to stretch his arms above his head comfortably.

 

    Hayi doesn't reply for a while and neither does the male push her. But when she sees the next familiar street corner for the annex, her thoughts stop wandering, and turns back to the anticipating journalism student.

 

    "Why was that funny?"

 

    "Because I thought you were just being defensive and nice so I wouldn't feel like some outsider."

 

    "And...?"

 

    "Do you really want to know?"

 

    Taehyun and Hayi both stop just under a tall street lamp, both their breaths causing gusts of hot air to be visible under the dim light.

 

    "Go ahead. I don't easily get offended." She replies with a small nod, but her teeth gnaws at her bottom lip as soon as she finishes speaking.



    "You're surprisingly cynical, Lee Hayi." he finally says, his smiling eyes locked on hers.

 


***

 

 

       She immediately turns the heater on as soon as she steps foot on the dorm room after having read the note on her desk from Suran that she'd be home late because of a late Friday night tutorial for some underclassman named Yoongi.

 


        Hayi dumps her clothes in the piling laundry bin and buries herself in her blanket before staring intensely at the ceiling.

 


         She can't say if she should be alarmed about this new writer or not. It's too soon to classify him, but he's definitely one of the odd ones.

 


          ... Or is she the odd one and the other way around?

 

          This is the problem when you encounter a person who can read others as well. People tend to end up questioning every little thing.

 

            But this wouldn't be the first time. She's known well enough to recognize how cynical she actually is.

 


            She smacks her cheeks lightly with the palms of her hands to take her out of her reverie and forces herself up to the bathroom.

 


            She was in the middle of applying petroleum jelly on her lips when her smartphone vibrates and lights up on her nightstand.

 


             Settling once again on her bed, she opens the messenger app to find several texts from a familiar name. She smiles as she finds several external links for songs before typing out a reply.

 

               'This better not be full of 50Cent. '

 

              It wasn't long before she heard her phone buzz again. The unholy time really doesn't surprise Hayi, she's known that he's always been like some type of nocturnal bat in the night.

 

              '50Cent is a legend. You just don't have the right taste in music.' , she reads, a smirk on her face. Figures. It was really quite possible she'd forgotten to update her friends back at home about her new job as a radio host. She really had been too busy... or so she tells herself.

 

              She could already picture the expression of disbelief on his face if she did manage to tell him though in person.

 

              'Hanbin, what's up? '

 

 


 

 

 

Yes. An update. I sincerely and truly apologize to my subscribers who have been so patient! You guys are the best! I really have been busy with work lately, so I thought I could give you guys a longer chapter. Who do you think is going to be appearing next? :)