Weird Bodily Functions and Creative Juice

Different Circles

 

 

 

The sounds of snare drums could be heard bouncing off the walls of the stuffed room. A switch is flipped, a knob is turned and a throat cleared before waves of sound from a microphone overtook.


"That was Frank Ocean's Super Rich Kids . As always, a classy pick from one of our regular listeners, moneymaker23 . Speaking of the artist, I bet every fan of Ocean's pumped up for his next album release this year."


The large digital clock in the corner bled 11:00. Catching a nod from Seunghoon behind the studio's glass, she presses the button covered by faded washi tape.


Owl hoots are heard through the headphones followed by the breathy whisper of Prof. Lee's, "Nightly High Time". She used to laugh over it for weeks much to the adviser's dismay, but only because of how perfect the recorded result turned out to be.


The radio host moves to adjust the sleeves of her hoodie around her wrists before flipping her microphone live once again.


"And------we're back. That's right, night owls. This is Lee Hayi here to spend more time with you, since most of us would really rather spend it wasted doing something else than get some actual sleep."


Well. If no one else was going to admit it, she would. She returns a smirk back at Seunghoon's disapproving look before playing "Gravity" on low to accompany her spiel.


"Let's get started, shall we? If it's your first time tuning in, I'd like to personally welcome you to this time lounge. We share our own personal stories under one common ground every Friday and Saturday night." Hayi reaches over for the tablet, unlocking the screen before reading out the tab.


"Our chosen story for tonight's 'Bathroom Breaks Gone Wrong' was sent in by Choi Youngjae." She reads through the text, heavily laced with sympathy.


***

The short brunette curses as soon as she flips her microphone off. Seunghoon opens the studio door just in time to see Hayi slam her head over the desk.

"Good job. Never knew you had it in you." He gently pushes her Powerpuff Girls coffee mug a few inches from her head. She groaned back.

"Drop it. Whose idea was it to talk about weird bodily functions anyway?" Hayi hastily takes the mug, nearly spilling it over the outline she had underlined repeatedly.


She takes a sip and hums gratefully. No cream. No sugar. Black. Just the way she likes it.


"-----It's time we all know that diarrhea due to stress isn't a thing to be ashamed of." He quotes back, partly doing a better impression of her old woman voice. "You're right though, it still does give a positive message about embracing our own bodies. In a way."


She winces. Easy for him to say. Least he never got to share about being in the middle of a final test when their own stomach started acting up.

It was Foreign Marketing, and Hayi had to actually sprint out the door as soon as she finished. And because she never trusted public bathrooms, she had to run all the way back to her dorm to do the deed.


Come to think of it, it was because she had coffee before eating a damn thing.


"We need new material, Seunghoon. When the heck is Prof. Lee going to make up his mind on that writer?" Hayi glances at the calendar.


The tall engineering student followed her train of sight. "It's been three months since you started, haven't you? You've really helped with the creative juice though, more than I really care to admit." Seunghoon offers one of his smiles that makes his eyes disappear.


Gah. A compliment. She bites her lips and pretends not to notice the increased number of listeners tuning in to the internet radio station. Again.


"Not for as long as Prof. Lee keeps doing double takes on the candidate screening. Anyway. We should lock up." Hayi stands, pushing her chair under the desk while emptying what's left in her mug. Seunghoon follows suit, pulling his red beanie over his head.


"I heard he's got one in mind. Apparently some journalism student?"


"Hmm. Okay."


A shuffle of papers, and a rustling of coats later, Hayi calls out to her workmate after the sound of locks turned. "You free tonight? Want to go to the usual pub?"


He stares back at her in amusement. "Hey kid----"


"Don't call me that, you old man." Hayi interrupts, pulling the hood of her jacket over her messy head.


"-----it's 1AM." He clicks his tongue, giving her a weary but kind smile, "I'll pass for tonight, Hayi. I need to get some work done early tomorrow morning for some field project."


"Oh sure." She pushes her hands in the pockets of her jeans with a chill.


"...And besides, I'd never actually get a girl to talk to me if I have you around spouting out bull."


Hayi almost bends over, laughing. When she comes up though to make a comeback, she realizes he was half-joking and gives him an apologetic smile.


"Admit it, I'm the best wingman you ever will have."


"Praise God." He grins, coming forward to give her a hug. "I'll see you next Friday. Walk with purpose, okay, kid?"


"Mm. I will." She awkwardly gives a one arm hug back because of the height difference. "See you next weekend, Seunghoon."


***

Tired, she discards her jeans and baggy hoodie and lies back on the bunk bed without a second thought. Suran isn't back in the dorm room. Probably working on her thesis.


She scrolls through her messenger app's group chat with Jimin and Hanbin. She skims through the conversation with photos of city lights and voice messages.


'Seen', they'd read coming from her. That counts as some sort of response, right? Besides, she was tired.


Tired, she opened up another app. She laughs because she sees a funny photo of a cat.


Tired, she comments on a music video of an indie artist she's been following for a while now.


Tired, she opens up another app, scrolling through faces and posts of people she has spoken with on one or more occasion.

She stops scrolling at a photo posted by Suhyun. It was one with herself on it too. More people.


Hayi is tired.

 

 


 

 

I must warn you I don't really know where I'm going with this but I want to thank you for giving this story a chance and having read through it. 

 

Also, what was your nightmare experience in the toilet? :)