Trouble on Planet Eleven

ZODIAC

You could say that Jonghyun was a good kid.

 

    Jonghyun grew up as a lowly kid in Seoul, with a life that was far from perfect; his family was poor, he shared a room with his older sister, and his father was an abusive . Nothing exceptionally glamourous to say the least.

 

    When Jonghyun was 14 his father left his family, although relieved, that left Jonghyun to take on the role as the man of the house. His sister trying to maintain a part time job while his poor mother (the tiny woman that she is) tried to uphold two jobs. Soon enough Jonghyun decided that school was nothing but an obstacle and dropped out by the time he was 17, taking on part time jobs to eventually take over paying the rent for the three of them.

 

`Jonghyun grew up alongside his best friend Jinki. Jinki was different from Jonghyun, he was smart and kept his nose to the books. Jinki could recite Pi to the 38th decimal without batting an eye.It was odd how Jonghyun and Jinki stayed friends all this time, Jonghyun the poor kid in tattered clothes strumming a guitar that was out of tune, while Jinki -from a better off family- scanned his chemistry books. They were an odd duo, but they made it work.

 

Jonghyun knew he had a passion for music, ever since he was little. Because he couldn’t afford a guitar every day after his work he would stop by the local music shop to jam out on the bass. He became self taught, decoding the notes as they came to him. The melodies eventually became effortless and he would attract a crowd into the store, and that’s how he got his full time job there.

 

Jonghyun had essentially built his own universe.

 

He didn’t mind the quaint life he made for himself; his sister went through university got a job at a local broadcasting station as a PD, being able to pay for a place for her and her mother. So Jonghyun decidedly moved out to enjoy the world as the 26 year old bachelor that he was, Jinki, now working what he claimed to be some lowly job at a pharmaceutical company, remained his companion even out of childhood, and would visit the young musician at his day job or at his weekly friday night gigs. Jonghyun proudly labeled them in his mind as the true dynamic duo, it was them against the world.

 

Everything seemed to fall into place up until his 26th Birthday.

 

    He wasn’t planning on doing anything, in fact Jonghyun had decided to work a late shift, mindlessly wiping the dust that had settled on the guitars under the cheap fluorescent lights of the music shop. Jonghyun looked out the window at the neon city lights that danced across the street, advertising bars and strip clubs and things of the like for the city nightlife. Jonghyun usually wasn’t the type, in fact he much rather prefered to be at home most nights. He cursed his introversion, for it was probably the reason he only had one friend and no partner in sight.

 

Jonghyun was never one for dating anyways.

 

    Could you marry an instrument? Jonghyun mused as he placed the guitar on the rack, grinning at the thought. No, you wouldn’t want to explain yourself on the next episode of ‘My Strange Addiction’. He chuckled, but his entertainment was cut short when his gaze caught a man dressed in white outside across the street, almost seeming to stare right back at him.

 

    Jonghyun blinked wondering why his body had suddenly grown cold as he walked over to the front counter uneasily, eyes never leaving the man. The man was tall and lean, black hair cascading over his shoulders and brimmed white hat sat elegantly on his head. The neon city lights seemed to glow against the white of the man’s apparel, but his eyes were unchanging and fixed on Jonghyun inside the store. The musician felt as if he were in something out of a horror movie at that moment; time seemed to stand still. And this man, this man across the street from him. There was an odd aura of familiarity to him although Jonghyun couldn’t say he had ever seen him before, his thoughts were interrupted at the buzz of his phone.

 

“H-hello?” he nearly stuttered after fishing the device out of his pocket.

 

“Are you okay? You sound like you saw a ghost.” Jonghyun chortled at the familiar voice of his best friend, his body loosening up and leaning against the counter casually.

 

“As a matter of fact I think I ha-”

 

But it was too late, the man was gone. Jonghyun’s tongue was tied in surprise, leaving him holding the phone to his ear in silence.

“Hello, ground control to major tom?”

 

“Right, right...I’m here.”
 

“Good, because I was going to ask if you could finally get your off work and come get a drink with me, it’s your birthday after all...hey isn’t it like way after closing hours anyway?”

 

    Jonghyun huffed, going into the back and grabbing for his leather jacket, cradling the phone with his shoulder as he slipped it on cooly, admiring himself in the mirror briefly.


“Yeah, we closed an hour ago, but Minho never cleans up so I’m doing the dirty work for him.”

 

“He sounds like a charming guy.”

 

The young musician snorted at that, tossing his bag over his shoulder and jingling his keys as he made his way to the door.

“You’d be surprised, he’s pretty good with the ladies...and the fellas, actually.”

 

“Whatever, just meet me at Planet Eleven in an hour.”

 

Planet Eleven was their favourite club, they only ever went to get drinks and not really to pick anyone up, Jinki only picked it because it was space themed anyway. Jonghyun smirked to himself and pushed the door open to be greeted by the cool night air, bathing in the glow of the neon lights with the buzz of the nightlife dancing in his ears. He turned around and locked the door.

 

“Roger that, see you then.”

                                                                     

 

                                                                      

 

 

    Jonghyun made his way through the club, admiring the strobe lights flying around the room, setting clouds of artificial fog aglow, sweaty bodies moving together to the heavy beat the rang through the club. He made his way to the bar, ignoring the strangers that threw the cat calls his way when his eyes fell on his best friend; who was dressed smartly in all black with his shirt slightly ed and hanging low.

 

“My My If I knew you were gonna dress up I would’ve worn some ier underwear”’

 

    Jinki gave a chuckle and rolled his eyes, patting the seat next to him. Jonghyun slipped on to the stool and already found a drink slipped his way from the bartender. The liquid glowing a teal colour as he watched it swirl around in the tall glass.

 

“Didn’t take you as the fancy drink type, what happened to a good old beer?”

 

Jinki sipped his own drink casually, eyes starting to seem unfocused. Jonghyun wondered if the older already had a couple of drinks before he arrived. The young scientist his lips and set his glass on the table, seeming far away in thought. He snapped out of his moment and looked to his friend with a smile.

 

“It’s your birthday and I thought it looked cool on the menu.”

 

Jonghyun wrinkled his nose, picking up the glass and swirling it around as if it were a chemical in a flask before setting it down again.

 

“Eh, sure why not, doesn’t hurt to be adventurous.”

Before Jonghyun could pick up the drink however, Jinki had spilled his drink over the counter, the older male muttering a low “.” before throwing a worried glance around

 

“Ahh Jinx, so ing clumsy.” The younger mused, he looked around before his eyes landed on a woman who was sitting alone near the napkin dispenser, Jonghyun got up to move closer.

“Hey, Sorry...I’m just gonna grab some of these,” he looked over her again, kind of frowning to himself as he looked on in pity. What was such a pretty young woman doing sitting by herself?

 

“Hey, what’s your name?” he asked, taking his place on the stool next to her, the girl blinked, looking up at him. She was pretty; long brown hair that curled around the ends and round doe-like eyes. Her skin a warm caramel colour.

 

“Luna,” she chimed in a soft voice, Jonghyun found her already charming, now even more confused as to why she would be alone, but he felt it would be insensitive to ask. Maybe it wouldn’t hurt to invite her to hang out with them? Or maybe it would seem like he was trying to pick her up. Jonghyun shoved his thoughts aside, hoping the girl would understand he’s just trying to make a nice gesture instead.

 

“Luna...me and my friend Jinki were just having a couple of drinks and I see you’re sitting here alone, want to join us? It’s my birthday and we’re just celebrati-”

 

“Happy Birthday.”

 

The musician blinked and fell silent at the interruption but the girl seemed unphased, smiling back at him as they both stood up from the stools. “How strange” he thought as he collected the napkins and lead the young woman over to his clumsy friend, who was fussing with his now damp shirt.

 

“Hey this is Luna, she look like she needed some friends so I invited her over, is that cool?”

 

    The older male looked up from his shirt, making eye contact with the young woman that made Jonghyun feel kind of odd as if he were a third wheel. Did they know each other? The musician watched as his friend’s eyes started to crinkle with his bright smile.

“Nice to meet you Luna, I’m Jinki.”

 

    They all sat down now, Luna still not saying much and Jonghyun looking at his drink which was still sitting there. The teal glow looking oddly intimidating now as he sat between his friend and the strange girl. He shrugged it off with an eh, it and brought the glass to his lips to down it before slamming it on the countertop.

 

“Ah it wasn’t that ba-”

 

But he spoke too soon.

 

    The world almost instantaneously seemed a bit fuzzy, spirals of blue and pink light danced against the darkness that started to fill his vision. He swayed a bit, his arms and legs starting to feel like lead, what the was going on?

 

“How much did you put in there?” Jonghyun heard Luna ask as he slowly slipped deeper into the darkness.

 

“A couple of milligrams, it’ll be enough to get him to the lab plus a few hours, he’ll be fine.”

The what? What was going on?


But before he could ask any more questions, he already felt himself slipping under, the buzz of the nightclub becoming a distant memory.

 


Author's Note:

Helloooo

Ah, I'm sorry that was really short again. But fear not! The Chapters shall get more in depth as we move along and our plot goes deeper. If it takes a while I'm sorry, because I just started an internship that I'll be doing for a good half of the summer and it's like 9 to 5...

ALSO, I have been discussing with someone to in the future of having this made into an actual story (but with my original intended characters), if that happens I'll probably discontinue this on here for the sake of people not going back online and going "Hey, wasn't that a fic on Asian fanfics?"

Thanks to people who have commented (positively) so far... you make me want to write more

and I will! I promise! Have faith in me! The story will get better!!!


Hope to see you soon!

-Nat