Prologue

ZODIAC

Kim Kibum stumbled over to his mirror, fingers tugging the top few buttons of his shirt open, the sweat trickling from his neck into the valleys of his collarbones and smooth skin. He looked ghostly, his skin near white as he stared at the stranger through the glass. This wasn't him, Kibum was a bright young university student  studying for his doctorate. He was going to be successful, happy, marry an attractive woman, buy a house...or some like that.
But right now, he didn't look like he was going to see tomorrow.
    
    He felt his thin framed glasses slip from his nose and clatter to the ground, his temples throbbing at an alarming rate, what the was wrong with him.

It's that ing pill, Kibum, get it through your thick skull.
    
    Kibum's gaze shifted to the pill bottle on his nightstand, the opaque, black and tempting case holding what's been his life the last couple of weeks. The key to sleep, the key to an escape; to bliss. That bottle turned kibum into who he really wanted to be.
    "Libra..." the voice at the back of his mind beckoned him, almost sounding like a whine. The overwhelming sense of temptation gathering in the form of bile in his throat. The fact that it all would be okay with just a swallow. He didn't ing ask for it.
    He didn't ask to wake up in that lab a few months ago, promised to become one of the leaders in modern technology and medicine, to be come part of The Cloud 9 Project. Cloud 9 was a project lead by the government with 12 hosts all named after the Zodiacs in which they were all connected to a parallel world - The Other as they called it. At the moment, it could only be entered through induced sleep using the tablet, however the scientific team was in the midst of training The Zodiacs to enter the world in their physical being as apposed to only their mental being. The hosts are supposed to only take one daily before sleep, but Kibum became addicted to The Other, he craved it. He used to love The Other, because it was there that the Zodiacs embodied their personas and Kibum was no longer the stiff, sheepish medical student lost in Seoul, In The Other he became Libra.
    Libra looked like himself but in a more heightened, elegant form. Libra dressed elegantly in a slimming white suit, his eyes a haunting lilac colour and his hair snowy white and smartly styled, a juxtiposing black strand that always lead astray if only to be a reminder that Kibum was still on the other side. Libra was confident and held his head high, he would walk down the street as if it were a catwalk. Kibum wanted to be more like him instead of his lanky, awkward, anxiety-ridden self. Becoming Libra and ridding himself of his world's stress in The Other was nothing short of ecstasy. And that's why he needed to quit.
    But what Kibum was feeling right now, was worse than any withdrawl symptom he's ever read about in textbooks, he legitimately felt that this is how he would die. He was going to die in his ty apartment because he didn't go back to his dream land.

No, not like this.

    He stumbled over to the nightstand and grabbed the bottle, cursing at himself for being in this position yet again. He tilted his head back and downed the bright yellow tablet, feeling it tumble it's way down his throat and settle in his stomach to bubble away. He crawled on his bed slowly as he felt The Other inch near him as the seconds crawled by. His body started to go cold and he closed his eyes, feeling a sensation as if he were standing in the middle of a wind tunnel, the air hitting his face and his body feeling like it was being pulled, but the sensation ended as soon as it started.

Libra opened his eyes, and instantly recognized his home.